Author Topic: Tennis [merged]  (Read 73462 times)

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Tennis [merged]
« Reply #195 on: June 28, 2011, 05:07:45 PM »
Yeah good on him good effort to win. Still not sold on this whole im going back to my country when things dont go well attitude.

Hewitt when he heard he was playing Robin gave him a call to offer tips and was in the stands to watch the game.

Thats a sign of a good aussie right there
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

gerkin greg

« Reply #196 on: June 29, 2011, 09:34:18 AM »
Love potting 18 year old kids because of their personality portrayed through the media  :cheers

We are the robots

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #197 on: June 30, 2011, 01:15:55 AM »
Bad luck to Tomic. He lost in 4-sets but he showed he has the power and range of shots capable of matching it with the best. You could see Djorkovic at the end was relieved to get away with that one (great sportsmanship too btw). Tomic hitting a mental and/or physical wall in the 3rd set when he was a break up at 3-1 & one-set-all and then lapsing badly for the next 20 minutes cost him the match. Something for Tomic to learn from.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

gerkin greg

« Reply #198 on: June 30, 2011, 11:00:29 AM »
Yep. Just a kid, he'll iron that out with more experience. Played really well  :clapping

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #199 on: July 04, 2011, 01:46:27 AM »
Novak won. :clapping

10 FLAGS

« Reply #200 on: July 04, 2011, 09:22:23 PM »
good to see another great winner coming from the orthodox traditions of christianity.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #201 on: July 05, 2011, 11:48:42 AM »
Hopefully having two juniors win the junior Wimbledon titles is a sign Tomic won't be the only decent Aussie tennis player in the years to come.

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #202 on: July 06, 2011, 03:57:17 PM »
Hopefully having two juniors win the junior Wimbledon titles is a sign Tomic won't be the only decent Aussie tennis player in the years to come.

Yep looks like poster boy Hewitt when he won his grand slams might of came through with the goods getting youngsters involved in tennis.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #203 on: June 26, 2012, 10:56:45 PM »
Not looking good for Tomic. 2 sets to 1 down with his mind not on the game. Just lazy laconic body language tonight with no intensity.

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #204 on: June 27, 2012, 12:06:13 AM »
Tomics flakey has all the shots
and ability doesnt have the mental
toughness...

playing his old trick again faking injury.

looking forward to the next time his
old man goes off his rocker.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #205 on: June 27, 2012, 08:08:52 AM »
Not looking good for Tomic. 2 sets to 1 down with his mind not on the game. Just lazy laconic body language tonight with no intensity.

Sounds like a normal day on court for young Bernard  ;D

Seriously, though I didn't expect him to make it through to week 2 but thought he'd at least win round one.

I have to agree with rogerd3; he isn't mentally tough but not only that he has a very limited game style. Even when he is "switched on" his movement around the court is poor and his game is very one dimensional.

What he really needs to do (which he wont) is get a new (decent) coach who will challenge him and flick his old man
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #206 on: June 27, 2012, 11:28:31 PM »
Tomic has the talent to have won easily last night but his poor attitude caused his own demise. The 2nd game of the 2nd set he was 40/30 on serve and all he had to do was get the ball over the net with a normal ground stroke to hold serve. Instead he tried some dicky low % too cute drop shot that hit the net and then lost his serve. It summed up how he played the match. You're right WP about him needing a real proper coach. Hopefully the talk within Tennis Australia tonight about replacing his father with a decent coach happens for Bernard's sake.

Stosur's match isn't going to plan either. Looked just as flat as Tomic did in the first set making a stack of unforced errors before turning it on in the second 6-0. Now it looks like Sam is back into first set mode down a break.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #207 on: June 28, 2012, 12:22:07 AM »
Stosur out as well.

Results like this where no Aussie gets past the first round at Wimbledon just shows again how much Tennis has fallen behind the footy codes and basketball/netball in the fight for the most athletically talented kids.

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #208 on: June 28, 2012, 12:26:59 AM »
Stosur is another flake

how the hell can you go from
winning a second set 6-0
then lose the match.

pfft number 5 in the world :lol

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #209 on: June 28, 2012, 11:24:39 AM »

Results like this where no Aussie gets past the first round at Wimbledon just shows again how much Tennis has fallen behind the footy codes and basketball/netball in the fight for the most athletically talented kids.

I agree. They definitely need to review the way they are bringing talent through from the youth. Seem's like alot of past Tennis greats are speaking up about it as well.

WITH every Australian eliminated from the men's and women's singles at Wimbledon, Australian tennis is officially in crisis.
That is the view of four-time doubles grand slam winner Paul McNamee, who is hardly shocked at the nation's performance at the All England club, saying the results are the fruits of continued mismanagement by Tennis Australia.

McNamee says Tennis Australia has too eagerly funnelled young prospects into its own system rather than allowed them to work on their game with their own coaches.
''We had a lot of very good juniors over a long period of time now, but we haven't been able to 'transition' the juniors into successful senior players, and I believe it's because we haven't had the right philosophy to coaching. Tennis Australia takes kids away from their own coaches and effectively imposes coaches and there's a little bit of a merry-go-round.
''For example, Matt Ebden, who lost [in the first round], I've seen him with three different coaches already this year. I really think we have to go back to when we were great … You need to have a mentor one on one, and you need to bring them through the transition period from juniors to seniors.''

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/tennis/one-player-three-coaches--mcnamee-points-finger-at-tennis-australia-and-its-mismanagement-of-juniors-program-20120627-212y0.html

TENNIS legend Margaret Court says our parlous position in world tennis is the result of Tennis Australia ripping talent away from junior coaches.

Court, a 24-time grand slam champion, said Tennis Australia put too much stock in placing talented juniors in large squads and was dulling its brightest prospects by making coaching less personal.

"I think they're taking them too early," Court said.

"You throw children, little kids at 13 into a squad, I believe that's where you lose them. They take them off (their coaches) so early and you never see them again.

"If I look at my coaches, they sewed their life into me.

"You wonder why the people don't stay in the game so long, it becomes like from such an early age they're so focused, they're like robots."

http://www.news.com.au/sport/tennis/tennis-legend-margaret-court-says-australias-junior-players-being-held-back/story-fndkzym4-1226410118762