Author Topic: BEN COUSINS [merged]  (Read 218210 times)

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
Re: BEN COUSINS [merged]
« Reply #1065 on: April 04, 2010, 07:46:04 AM »
Nah Sheeds, Michael Jackson would have cost too much and senior footballers were way too old for him to play with.
Wouldn't have minded seeing him moonwalk and baulk along the outer wing, though. He could have taken up residence at Luna Park.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1066 on: April 30, 2010, 11:24:04 PM »
Another day, another story on Cuz thanks to Ricky Nixon  ::) ....

A-League was interested in Cousins
TIM CLARKE
April 30, 2010 - 4:00PM

If Ben Cousins had not been given an AFL lifeline with Richmond, he may have had an avenue back into sport via the A-League, according to his former manager Ricky Nixon.

The autobiography of the AFL's most controversial manager – entitled It's a Jungle Out There and released on May 1 – reveals how deeply he feared for Cousins during the depths of his drug addiction – and how at one point he was actually told Cousins had died in a car accident.

But perhaps most bizarre was a phone call received at the height of the controversy surrounding Cousins' suspension in 2008.

"Out of the blue one day I had a phone call from someone purporting to act on behalf of an A-League club that wanted to sign Ben," Nixon recounts.

"While I would normally not take such calls, the guy on the end of the phone had explained to my staff his credentials and he seemed legitimate.

"We discussed in some detail the possibility of Ben joining an A-League club as a guest player for a month and what it would do for publicity."

With the Western Force publicly floating the idea of Cousins possibly joining them, Nixon said suggestions of Cousins also featuring on the undercard of a Anthony Mundine fight were the most concerning.

"Nixon believed it would endanger his client's life," the book says.

"Cousins eventually assisted with the publicity but did not step into the ring. Lost in the furore was Cousins' connection to the event, a "KO to Drugs" promotion."

Nixon's autobiography, written in conjunction with James Weston and published by Pan Macmillan, details the controversial manager's dealings with some of the biggest AFL names of the past 20 years, including Wayne Carey and Gary Ablett.

Describing the circus surrounding Cousins as descending into madness, Nixon said he was even told the Brownlow medallist had died – a rumour that also reached Cousins' father Bryan.

"Someone rang me and told me, just like that," Nixon said.

"I was trying to ring Ben, so was his Dad but his phone was off. He'd been in a minor bingle. But that's how mad things were, everything seemed to be a big story."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/aleague-was-interested-in-cousins-20100430-tylf.html

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1067 on: April 30, 2010, 11:45:29 PM »
I'm beginning to wonder if it was Nixon's book that's been the reason for his split with Cuz. :P

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1068 on: May 02, 2010, 03:25:46 AM »
Herald-Sun still stalking Cuz around town ....

"BEN Cousins and girlfriend Maylea Tinecheff slipped into the opening of Michael Gudinski's new venue, Trak, in Toorak on Thursday night. Cousins looked relaxed, but declined to pose for photographs...."

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1069 on: May 22, 2010, 05:43:49 AM »
Ben Cousins felt pressure
Michael Warner
Herald Sun
May 22, 2010

BEN Cousins never returned a positive drugs test, but AFL boss Andrew Demetriou claims his addiction would not have been detected without the league's illicit drug code.

The AFL boss rejected suggestions Cousins had outsmarted the league's testers during his days at the West Coast Eagles.

"I don't subscribe to this theory that Cousins beat the system," Demetriou said yesterday.

"The only reason that we were able to ascertain that Ben Cousins had a problem is because we introduced an illicit drug-testing regime outside of competition and he missed training.

"It was the illicit drug-testing regime that forced him to miss training and that's how we uncovered he had an issue. If it wasn't for that testing regime, we may never have known."

Cousins' battle with drugs first surfaced in March 2007 when the Eagles suspended him for "private and personal" problems. He was sacked by the club eight months later.

The AFL's controversial drugs code, which keeps clubs in the dark about drug-taking players until a third strike, was introduced in January 2005.

Cousins' mentor Gerard Healy said on Monday that Cousins managed to dodge years of AFL drug tests through a combination of strategy and good luck.

But Demetriou said Cousins' capture was inevitable thanks to the league's drugs code.

"The fact of the matter is that when we brought our illicit drugs policy in, he'd been, by his own admission, using illicit drugs for a number of years and we weren't even testing for it. The system was only in for a year before we discovered it. And if we'd had this system in 10 years ago, we would have known a lot earlier," he said.

Demetriou denied decisions to suspend Geelong's Mathew Stokes and Fremantle's Michael Johnson over drugs offences were inconsistent with the three-strike policy.

"In both the Stokes and Johnson case, the club, and particularly the leadership groups, sat down and determined a sanction for that player.

''It wasn't just because they had been caught in possession of a drug ... it was because, as the club said, they had broken team rules and let their team down. These weren't sanctions from the AFL, these were sanctions based on team rules," he said.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ben-cousins-felt-pressure/story-e6frf9jf-1225869842232

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1070 on: May 25, 2010, 01:10:59 AM »
Ben Cousins at crossroads
Mike Sheahan
Herald Sun
May 25, 2010

EVENTS off the field have distorted the broad view of Ben Cousins the footballer in recent years. Disguised the fact he has been one of the great players of the modern game.

In the period 1998-2006, Cousins won four best-and-fairest awards at West Coast, and finished top four in another four years.

In teams that contained McKenna, Jakovich, Judd, Cox and Kerr. Testament to extraordinary class and consistency.

Cousins, though, has reached the point where his future as a player is up for debate.

Now at Richmond, the veteran of 258 games is merely a shadow of his former self. He cobbled together 17 possessions against Essendon at the MCG on Saturday night, but had no influence on events.

The best spin that can be applied to his numbers is that he had eight contested possessions and five clearances, and played only 68 per cent of the game.

He scored an efficiency rating of 53 per cent, kicked no goals, registered no score assists.

He looked slow, got caught and lacked penetration with his kicks. None of those observations was legitimate in his West Coast days.

His five games this year have netted 43 kicks, 55 handballs and one goal.

As much as most of us want to see him complete his career in style, and we genuinely do, they're the facts.

Yes, the game against the Bombers was his first back from a back injury that still troubles him. It has been an interrupted season for him, but, as he knows better than most, it's a tough, uncompromising game.

There are no concessions for injury or past deeds.

The dilemma for coach Damien Hardwick and company at Richmond is a sense of responsibility to Cousins against an over-riding commitment to the club's long-term future.

Richmond is winless after nine rounds with only occasional flashes of progress.

Saturday night's game effectively was over after Essendon kicked the first seven goals.

While Cousins has much to offer in terms of attitude and experience and, in the main, is good with the younger players, his primary responsibility is to set an example on the field and, maybe, help the team to (a) be competitive and (b) perhaps pinch a win or two.

At 31 (32 on June 30), patience runs thin. He will be under fierce pressure if he goes to Adelaide for the Port Adelaide engagement on Saturday, which is likely.

His future has to be on the line and that's never a pleasant realisation, particularly when he wants to do two things: complete the year and make Richmond think long and hard about giving him one more.

Hardwick has to convince all his players games are awarded on form. Cuz's form is modest, at best. No good sending him back to Coburg, either. What's the point?

If he performs at VFL level, do you bring him back at his age and at the expense of a youngster?

Why, though, would he endure the indignity of toiling away at VFL level in the hope of regaining a spot in an AFL team that's going to win the wooden spoon?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ben-cousins-at-crossroads/story-e6frf9jf-1225870788134

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1071 on: May 25, 2010, 07:46:18 PM »
Has been VERY ordinary in his past two outings.
Should take a leaf out of Simon Goodwin's book.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1072 on: May 25, 2010, 11:08:26 PM »
From the Herald-Sun website.....

Should Ben Cousins retire?

* Yes 26.15% (285 votes)
    * No 73.85% (805 votes)

Total votes: 1090

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1073 on: May 25, 2010, 11:26:10 PM »
I will make my call on him at the end of the year dependent on how many more games he can string together and how he performs during them. I believe he deserves a fair go, God knows we have given a fair go to some pretty dodgy players in the past and he certainly does not fit that category.

I still think he will get it together, lets see how he goes over the next couple of weeks and after the bye before we hunt, catch, kill and eat our own again. Even if he doesn't go on, on field next year I hope he ends up as our midfield coach or maybe something to do with development.

Lets wait and see first, IMO there are a few players that are currently walking the plank before him.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1074 on: May 26, 2010, 07:17:28 AM »
I watched him closely last night for a few minutes

I must report he was drinking

WATER  :cheers :cheers :cheers

:eyebrow

NB: any newspaper or gutter journalist wishing to use this info please credit OER  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1075 on: May 26, 2010, 04:11:41 PM »
Not nice WP, not nice... :lol
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

TigerTimeII

« Reply #1076 on: May 26, 2010, 09:37:16 PM »
spoke to a member of the goodes clan yesterday, geez they hate the cousins clan , he told me that the whole cousins clan have been cursed cos they are coconuts

come ben, break the curse by acknowledging ur ancestory

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1077 on: May 27, 2010, 10:37:36 AM »
spoke to a member of the goodes clan yesterday, geez they hate the cousins clan , he told me that the whole cousins clan have been cursed cos they are coconuts

come ben, break the curse by acknowledging ur ancestory

What the hell has that poo got to do with anything?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

TigerTimeII

« Reply #1078 on: May 29, 2010, 10:30:07 PM »
WAS FANFRICKENTASTIC TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clapping :clapping :clapping :clapping :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1079 on: May 29, 2010, 10:37:15 PM »
Agree X. Cuz shut up his critics today who said he was finished.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd