Author Topic: BEN COUSINS [merged]  (Read 217090 times)

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: BEN COUSINS [merged]
« Reply #1035 on: February 28, 2010, 08:29:42 AM »
Looks on for a strong year barring injury by the sound of today's game  :thumbsup. 22 possies in 3/4ers of footy playing in the middle.

Good stuff. Ta MT.

FNM

« Reply #1036 on: March 18, 2010, 12:42:15 PM »
Was speaking to a neighbour who's a former Saints player.  ANd he gets together with a group of Hawks and Tiger former players every now and then - something to do with Allan Jeans - and the Richmond players can't speak more highly of Ben and his involvement at the RFC.
He says, the Saints players would have been rapt to pick him up when he was up for grabs, and reckon he was the difference between them winning and losing the flag last year.
Our players reckon he's a great clubman, is fantastic with the young players and is very well liked.
I wonder if Today Tonight or the Herald Sun would report that  ::)
Not likely  :banghead

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1037 on: March 20, 2010, 03:31:24 PM »
A bit more free publicity for the book:

Ben Cousins link in footy star Chris Mainwaring's death mystery

A CORONER has reportedly found that Richmond star Ben Cousins and Perth footballer Chris Mainwaring went into a bedroom which contained a plate of cocaine in the hours before Mainwaring collapsed and died.
According to an article in a daily newspaper, Cousins saw the plate when he checked on Mainwaring on October 1, 2007.

The report, written by WA Coroner Alastair Hope in 2008 but not released, also details how Mainwaring's wife, Rani, had discovered cocaine in their home just before fleeing with their two young children. She poured the drugs down the sink. Before leaving she asked Cousins to check on her husband because "she was concerned he would take more of the drug".

According to the report, Mr Hope found that the television presenter and West Coast Eagles premiership player had a seizure after over-dosing on a "large quantity of cocaine".

Mr Hope drew on a police investigation when writing the report. It is suspected that police have now leaked the report after revelations that an explosive book by Cousins is likely to be published this year.

Mr Hope decided it wasn't "desirable" to hold a formal inquest into the tragedy.

Two weeks after Mainwaring's death, Cousins was arrested in Perth and charged with failing to undergo a drug assessment and possession of a prescription drug but the charges were later withdrawn.

Cousins also spent time in a Los Angeles hospital after a five-day cocaine binge.

His career as West Coast Eagles captain ended and he was picked up by Richmond following stints in rehabilitation.

Cousins has said he visited Mainwaring twice on the day he died.

The coroner's report says Cousins was with a mystery woman, described as a "female friend", during the second visit.

According to the coronial report, Cousins checked on Mainwaring twice - once in the afternoon and then again in the evening, when he returned with the unidentified female friend.

"At one stage the deceased and Mr Cousins went into a bedroom where, according to Mr Cousins, he saw a quantity of a substance which he believed to be cocaine on a plate,'' Mr Hope reported.

Mr Hope did not say what happened to the cocaine and whether Cousins got rid off it. "Mr Cousins and his female friend left (Mainwaring's) home at about 10.15pm. At the time the deceased appeared to be in good spirits and, according to Mr Cousins,he had no concerns for him at all."

Mainwaring, 41, died later that night after neighbours called police and an ambulance because of his uncharacteristic behaviour outside his home. Before having a seizure he told police that he had consumed "a little cannabis" and one ecstasy tablet.

According to Mr Hope's report, toxicological analysis revealed only a large quantity of cocaine.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/chris-mainwaring-had-plate-of-cocaine-the-night-he-died/story-e6frf7jo-1225843097363

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1038 on: March 20, 2010, 04:21:56 PM »
Tell you what this Cousins media circus is becoming a real joke and worse than Lara Bingle IMO... Fair dinkum he gets more media than the Beckhams... :sleep :sleep :sleep. Surley these reporters and the media in general must have a life, IMO Fev has been worse than Cuz and his media wagon has stopped. Geezus let it go!!!
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1039 on: March 20, 2010, 08:39:32 PM »
Tell you what this Cousins media circus is becoming a real joke and worse than Lara Bingle IMO... Fair dinkum he gets more media than the Beckhams... :sleep :sleep :sleep. Surley these reporters and the media in general must have a life, IMO Fev has been worse than Cuz and his media wagon has stopped. Geezus let it go!!!

The celebrifying of footballers in the press bores the crap out of me.
Must be pitching it at the readers of Womans Day.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1040 on: March 20, 2010, 09:02:30 PM »
...and thats why I woulnt pee on caroline wilson if she was on fire.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1041 on: March 21, 2010, 07:15:40 AM »
Ben Cousins: I saw Chris Mainwaring cocaine
Sunday Herald Sun
March 21, 2010

A CORONIAL inquest has revealed the drug incident Brownlow medallist Ben Cousins witnessed on the night his mate, West Coast Eagles premiership player Chris Mainwaring, died.

Almost three years after Mainwaring died, the secret report leaked yesterday sets out for the first time the tragic chain of events that led to the death of the football star and Perth television identity on October 1, 2007.

The investigation by Western Australia State Coroner Alastair Hope found:

COUSINS saw Mainwaring with cocaine on a plate just hours before he died;

MAINWARING'S wife, Rani, had asked the Richmond star to do a welfare check on her husband during his drug-fuelled bender; and

RANI Mainwaring washed a quantity of cocaine down the sink before leaving the family's Cottlesloe home with the couple's two children.

Cousins spent the morning at a training session at Punt Rd Oval and used a side exit from the clubrooms to avoid waiting media.

His father and manager, Bryan Cousins, told the Sunday Herald Sun he was unaware the results of the coronial investigation had been made public.

"I've got no comment to make. I haven't read the article, and even if I had read it, I wouldn't make any comment anyway," Mr Cousins said from his farm.

But Ben Cousins's former girlfriend said Mainwaring's family did not want details of his drug-related death to be made public. Samantha Druce, who is also the best friend of Mainwaring's wife, Rani, said disclosures about the death were horrific and heartless.

She has made an impassioned plea to end speculation over the death for the sake of Rani and her two young children, Zac and Maddy.

"This is not what they want," Ms Druce said.

"They want Chris's legacy to live on in happy memories. It's unfortunate that we keep coming back to why Chris died and how.

"It's horrific and not fair." The Coroner's report found that Mainwaring, 41, died after a seizure caused by a cocaine overdose rather than a cocktail of different drugs.

"At one stage the deceased and Mr Cousins went into a bedroom where, according to Mr Cousins, he saw a quantity of a substance which he believed to be cocaine on a plate," Mr Hope reported.

"There was no evidence of any cannabis or ecstasy in the blood of the deceased.

"Toxicological analysis showed a markedly raised cocaine level in the blood of 7mg/litre. There was 50mg of cocaine in his stomach contents."

"Mr Cousins and his female friend left (Mainwaring's) home about 10.15pm. At the time the deceased appeared to be in good spirits and, according to Mr Cousins, he had no concern for him at all."

The report was written in 2008 but was released unofficially to a Perth newspaper. A spokesman for Mr Hope said copies of the findings had been officially released only to family members.

The findings told how Rani Mainwaring had discovered cocaine in their Cottesloe home before fleeing with their children.

Cousins, the former West Coast Eagles captain, visited Mainwaring's house twice on the day of his death.

On his second visit, about 7.30pm, he picked up takeaway food for dinner and was accompanied by a woman.

Cousins told police that at one stage in the night he went into a bedroom with Mainwaring where he saw a plate of cocaine.

An ambulance was called for the former footballer after a neighbour saw Mainwaring "behaving in a bizarre manner" near his home. At 12.36am, Mainwaring did not have a pulse and he died that night at Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital.

Ms Druce, now engaged to millionaire Luke Wyllie, denied rumours that she was the woman who accompanied Cousins to Mainwaring's house.

"I was overseas," she said.

"I have no idea who the girl is. You'd have to ask Ben."

Two weeks after Mainwaring's death, Cousins had his own problems. He was arrested in Perth and charged with drug possession, but the charges were dropped.

He confessed he was battling drug addiction and admitted himself into an exclusive Los Angeles drug rehabilitation clinic.

The incidents eventually led to his sacking from the Eagles, but he thrived last year with a second chance at Richmond.

The latest developments topped off a shocking week for Cousins, whose pre-season preparations were hampered when he was admitted to Epworth Hospital in Richmond twice with a mysterious gastro-like illness.

Yesterday the Tigers were sticking by their gun recruit.

"The only thing we've got to say about that (the leaked Coroner's report) is Ben's been a great acquisition to this footy club. We're really happy to have him. He is fit and trained really well today. And we're looking forward to him playing this Thursday night," said Tigers football manager Ross Monaghan.

An AFL spokesman also refused to comment on the issue.

It is alleged the Coroner's findings were leaked after it was revealed Cousins had written a book detailing his battle against drugs and giving his take on Mainwaring's death.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/ben-cousins-i-saw-chris-mainwaring-cocaine/story-e6frf7jo-1225843244690

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1042 on: March 21, 2010, 07:33:50 AM »
It is alleged the Coroner's findings were leaked after it was revealed Cousins had written a book detailing his battle against drugs and giving his take on Mainwaring's death.

How convenient that this confidential info is 'leaked' at this time. :P

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1043 on: March 21, 2010, 10:09:10 AM »
leaked legal documents? No corruption in the WA legal system is there?

Obviously those responsible don't care about the collateral damage being done to Mainwarings family.

“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1044 on: March 24, 2010, 03:57:54 AM »
Ben Cousins' mate Fabian Quaid jailed for $24m ecstasy haul
Herald-Sun/AAP
March 23, 2010 4:08PM

ONE of AFL star Ben Cousins' oldest mates has been jailed for 17 years for conspiring to traffic 44kg of ecstasy worth up to $24m.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/national/ben-cousins-mate-fabian-quaid-jailed-for-24m-ecstasy-haul/story-e6frf7l6-1225844387725

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1045 on: March 25, 2010, 04:05:42 AM »
Richo says Cousins can play on

* Jon Ralph
  * Herald Sun
  * March 25, 2010

RICHMOND legend Matthew Richardson says Ben Cousins should consider playing on next year.

Richardson will tonight farewell the MCG crowd before the Carlton-Richmond clash, then hand the title of the club's oldest player to Cousins.

He said yesterday if 31-year-old Cousins still had the hunger to play, he should be in no hurry to retire.

"I don't see why he can't play on beyond this year as everything else is fine with him and his body is fine and he's hungry and he still wants to play, and he seems to say that he does," Richardson said.

"I think his fitness base comes from playing as long as he does, and now it's just more about maintaining his body. He doesn't need to flog himself any more. He had a solid year last year and, if he doesn't get injured, he is going to play well."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/richo-says-cousins-can-play-on/story-e6frf9ix-1225844967566

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1046 on: March 27, 2010, 05:29:47 AM »
Cousins may have fallen, but he still lifts others
MARTIN FLANAGAN
March 27, 2010

''Who killed Davey Moore,- Bob Dylan,Who Killed Davey Moore?

Why an' what's the reason for?''

''Not me,'' says the boxing writer,

Pounding print on his old typewriter,

Sayin', ''Boxing ain't to blame,

There's just as much danger in a football game.''

Sayin', ''Fist fighting is here to stay,

It's just the old American way. It wasn't me that made him fall.

No, you can't blame me at all.''

BEN Cousins is a recovering drug addict. I don't suppose those of us who have never had a recovering drug addict as a close friend or family member can be expected to fully understand. I certainly don't claim to, but I imagine it's a rough road he's walking. How, exactly, do you get a life back in balance when you've been that far out of whack, particularly when you're a professional sportsman playing a game that brings with it an ever crazier, more intense media coverage?

AFL footballers have become to elements of the local media what the Royal family is to elements of the British media. This week, Richmond received a panicked phone call from a commercial television station asking if it was true that Cousins had gone on a bender, got on a plane and was now in Mexico. Another journalist put out a Twitter message asking if anyone had Cousins' address.

Last week, Cousins had members of the media permanently camped in his front yard and couldn't get out of his house. A Richmond official had to take food to him. A person with a strong disposition could only take that sort of treatment for so long before doing something extreme. Ben Cousins is a recovering drug addict.

I reckon the coverage of AFL football changed around Cousins. You could almost say the game changed. It was after this, you might recall, that West Coast's Michael Braun was outed by a journalist after Jason Akermanis wrote an article in which he alleged an opponent had played under the influence of performance-enhancing drugs. Akermanis didn't identify the player he was referring to. Journalist Dylan Howard did. There was, and is, no evidence to support that allegation.

Then the Herald Sun and Channel Seven sought to buy the stolen medical records of a number of AFL players. There is another addiction at work here, an addiction for circulation, for ratings, and it is fed by the one thing in this town people will always read about, always watch, always talk about. Football.

The argument used to justify media behaviour in relation to Cousins is that drugs are now such a serious problem in this society that this degree of scrutiny and investigation is warranted in the case of a confessed drug user. I question the sincerity of that argument. In last year's Melbourne Cup, the horse who ran third was owned by Chechan ruler Ramzan Kadyrov, a man accused of torture, abduction and murder. What did we hear about that in the local media? Hardly a word. Why the silence?

The other argument is that footballers are role models. There is truth in this but it is not an absolute truth. One of the traditions of Australian football was that everyone got a go. If everyone gets a go, some are sure to muck up. At the height of the Cousins furore, the AFL mooted linking "player behaviour" to clubs losing premiership points and draft picks. The inevitable consequence of such a move would be a social filtering, a social censoring, of those admitted to the game. One person who has a similar view to me on this issue is Collingwood president Eddie McGuire.

Richmond recruiting Cousins at the start of last year was a gamble, but I thought a commendable one. It was never going to be plain sailing. Nevertheless, people I know and respect at Richmond say he has brought something positive to the club, not just as a player, but in what he brings to the team.

In 2008, after Cousins' departure from West Coast, I interviewed Ashley Hanson, who had just won the Eagles' best clubman award. He knew virtually nothing about Cousins' life outside the club but missed him for what he brought to the team on match day. For all his problems, Cousins still has a presence that enlarges others, particularly young players, as they approach a game of AFL football.

I am a member of the press who believes the press played a part in the death of Lady Diana Spencer. She was hunted as media prey. That's what Cousins has been at times. It's easy to blame elements of the media but those who encourage them by buying their media products are no less to blame.

I started this column with a quote from an old Bob Dylan song. American Davey Moore was the world featherweight champion. He died after a fight in 1963 when he was knocked down and suffered brain damage. The point of the song is the way everyone conveniently dissociates themselves from what happens. No one is to blame. Not the referee, not the promoter, not the gambling man, not the sportswriter, not the other boxer, not the crowd …

''Who killed Davey Moore,

Why an' what's the reason for?

''Not us,'' says the angry crowd,

Whose screams filled the arena loud.

''It's too bad he died that night

But we just like to see a fight.

We didn't mean for him t' meet his death,

We just meant to see some sweat,

There ain't nothing wrong in that.

It wasn't us that made him fall.

No, you can't blame us at all.''

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/cousins-may-have-fallen-but-he-still-lifts-others-20100326-r38c.html

Ox

« Reply #1047 on: March 27, 2010, 04:20:53 PM »
Drug Dealers are people too.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1048 on: March 28, 2010, 06:34:01 AM »
Player manager Ricky Nixon fear for Ben Cousins
Jesper Fjeldstad
Sunday Herald Sun
March 28, 2010

LEADING player manager Ricky Nixon has revealed his fear for Ben Cousins' life during his exile from West Coast, recovery from drug addiction and his transfer to Richmond.

Nixon, documenting his thoughts in his upcoming book, It's a Jungle Out There, which he co-wrote with James Weston, listed the time as one of the most challenging in his glittering post-playing career.

"I am always about learning lessons from things," Nixon said.

"During the problems with Ben I would be as down as I have ever been because, to be honest, there were times when I thought I would receive a phone call from his mobile, only it would be someone else telling me they had found Ben. Dead.

"That sounds melodramatic, but that's how difficult the last few years have been for him. And I carry that with me.

"I suppose I become friends with these people. They rely on me and trust me.

"Some critics say I get too close to my players, but maybe that's why I'm good at what I do. No apologies for caring."

On a lighter note, Nixon tells a cracking yarn about dual Norm Smith medallist, Hawthorn great, and former Geelong and Adelaide coach Gary Ayres.

It was ahead of the 1992 season with Nixon just having crossed to the Hawks from St Kilda and Ayres, in inimitable style, made some impression on the recruit.

Nixon takes up the story.

"When I left St Kilda and went to Hawthorn, my first night of training set the foundation for the rest of my life, including life as a sports manager," Nixon said.

"On that first night there was a guy called Tim Hargreaves, who was doing push-ups inside and when he stood up he spat on the floor.

"Gary Ayres walked across the room, grabbed him by the hair, stood him up in front of the group and said, 'If you ever, ever, ever spit on the floor at the Hawthorn Football Club again I will personally belt you to within an inch of your life and you'll never play here again."

Nixon continues, pointing out the lessons he learnt from the then-Hawthorn veteran from the bush with a no-nonsense approach.

It taught him as much about life as it did about football.

"Now if that had happened at St Kilda in the 1980s it would have been laughed at or ignored," he said.

"So from that first moment it wasn't hard to see why Hawthorn had that winning culture.

"They're playing in a disciplined and cohesive unit. It was about respect.

"It worked for them and business works exactly the same way."

The former journeyman footballer has managed not only Cousins, but also Wayne Carey and Gary Ablett Sr.

One of the most common questions Nixon cops is: What was Ablett Sr was like away from the cameras and the grand stage?

"He hated being in the spotlight, but he thought nothing of rolling up to hospital, unplanned, to talk to kids," Nixon said. "Gary just liked being himself and taking life easy."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/player-manager-ricky-nixon-fear-for-ben-cousins/story-e6frf9jf-1225846366991

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #1049 on: March 31, 2010, 02:17:07 PM »
Did Cuz ever do anything to Walls?  ::)

Cousins is finished, says Walls

The troubled career of Ben Cousins is close to over, according to AFL Hall of Fame coach Robert Walls.

The former Carlton premiership coach and prominent AFL commentator says the Brownlow medallist is no use to a Richmond team on course for another dire season.

The Tigers and Cousins endured another torrid start to the season against Carlton, slumping to a 56-point loss to the Blues after the ex-Eagle had entered the game under a fitness cloud.

Hospitalised twice in the build-up to the game with a mystery stomach ailment, Cousins had a serviceable game, with 19 possessions and a goal.

But Walls said it appeared the powers of the six-time All Australian were finally on the wane and questioned whether his presence in the Tigers team would benefit the club.

"You have got to worry about where Richmond is going," Walls said.

"They are definitely bottom two with Melbourne, and I would question whether Ben Cousins is any value to a team that is going to finish bottom two.

"It looks to me whether he has a lost a little bit too, in terms of pace and strength and zip.

"Cousins is only going to play this year and it is all over.

"They will be bottom four for the next two, three or four season most likely.

"They had a kid called Matty White on the emergency, he is a rover, he has played quite a few games. I would rather play the young blokes and give them opportunity."

After more lurid headlines over Cousins' reported binge drinking causing concern at the club, Richmond president Gary March and CEO Brendon Gale both defended Cousins, with the latter saying the 31-year-old had become a national obsession.

Speaking before last week's clash, March conceded the Brownlow medallist, a recovering drug addict, was "no angel" and came to the club "with baggage" - but also said Cousins did not receive a fair go from the media.

Walls however said any more headlines for the wrong reasons might convince Tigers' coach Damien Hardwick to cut Cousins loose.

"If he was playing for a team that was some chance of playing in a grand final, I think you could argue it was a punt worth taking," Walls told radio 5AA.

"But a team at the bottom of the ladder, they just need to get games into young players with a young coach.

"If he mucks up, then I think Damien Hardwick might say that is it – let's hope he doesn't for his own sake.

"I just question whether Cousins in a team that is on the bottom of the ladder is of any use."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/cousins-is-finished-says-walls-20100330-rb5d.html

And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do