Author Topic: BEN COUSINS [merged]  (Read 215860 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: BEN COUSINS [merged]
« Reply #1305 on: August 24, 2010, 02:40:31 PM »
Cousins 'racing against clock'
August 24, 2010 - 1:57PM

Retiring Richmond midfielder Ben Cousins admits he is in "a race against the clock" to be able to play his last AFL match.

While the Tigers are hopeful that the Brownlow Medallist will be ready for Sunday's Etihad Stadium game against Port Adelaide, Cousins said on Tuesday he will have to prove his fitness.

Typically of Cousins' tumultuous football career, this week will be a dramatic end.

The much-anticipated documentary about his battle against drug addiction, Such is Life: The Troubled Times of Ben Cousins, will screen on Wednesday and Thursday nights and now he is no certainty to be in Richmond's team this weekend.

He injured his hamstring on Saturday against St Kilda and has not trained since.

"I haven't broken out of a stride, I haven't done anything really to see if I can justify playing this week," he told Melbourne radio station Nova 100.

"Nothing ever goes to script and football doesn't work in fairytales.

"I really had my head around playing two last games but as it turns out it is a race against the clock."
Cousins said he expects to undergo a fitness test later in the week to determine if he can play on Sunday.

He noted that North Melbourne's Adam Simpson played his final game last season despite a serious calf muscle injury.

"I am not sure what is possible and what's not I will just wait for the doctors," he said.

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/richmond-tigers/cousins-racing-against-clock-20100824-13ntt.html

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1306 on: August 25, 2010, 11:21:00 PM »
just heard on Foxtel AFL 360 program David King "I would like to put an end to people claiming they were the ones who wanted Cuz at punt Road"

he went on to say it was decided 24 hours by us the coaching staff that he would not be selected but in the next 24 hours it was a "player revolt" led by newy who called the tanned one and together with the other players asked for the signing of Cuz.

David King claims it was the players not "anyone else" which is the reason why he played with us.

so much for it being the tanned one's decision. Give me a spell.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1307 on: August 26, 2010, 01:32:08 AM »
just heard on Foxtel AFL 360 program David King "I would like to put an end to people claiming they were the ones who wanted Cuz at punt Road"

he went on to say it was decided 24 hours by us the coaching staff that he would not be selected but in the next 24 hours it was a "player revolt" led by newy who called the tanned one and together with the other players asked for the signing of Cuz.

David King claims it was the players not "anyone else" which is the reason why he played with us.

so much for it being the tanned one's decision. Give me a spell.
If true that would explain Craig Cameron saying the day before Cuz was drafted that we wouldn't be picking him up.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1308 on: August 26, 2010, 03:00:46 PM »
Cousins trains solidly
richmondfc.com.au
By Luke Holmesby
Thu 26 August, 2010

RICHMOND midfielder Ben Cousins trained solidly on Thursday morning as he looks to recover from a hamstring strain in time for his farewell AFL game.

Cousins strained his hamstring in last week’s loss to St Kilda, casting doubt on whether he would play this week against Port Adelaide in what would be the final game of his AFL career.

The 2005 Brownlow medallist trained away from the main group on Thursday morning at Victoria Park.

The bulk of his work involved running in 50m straight lines while checking in regularly with the Tigers’ conditioning staff, coach Damien Hardwick and his assistants. He seemed to be running just short of top pace.

Cousins’ teammate Jack Riewoldt said he was confident the 32-year-old could make the right call on his body.

“It’d be a great story for football and it would be a great story for Ben if he played on the weekend,” Riewoldt said on Thursday morning.

“That is going to come down to Ben himself and I know he’s not going to sell his teammates short. He is not going to go out there if he doesn’t think he can play.

“The medical staff have got to make a decision on him as well. I fully trust they are going to make the right decision. If the fairytale does happen it is going to be great for the club.”

Cousins has played 269 AFL games, 238 of which were for West Coast, including the 2006 premiership.

The first part of the documentary detailing his drug addiction was shown on Channel 7 on Wednesday night, drawing 1.99 million viewers Australia-wide. The second half screens on Thursday night.

The Tigers will train one last time on Saturday morning at Punt Rd before Sunday’s clash with the Power.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/101169/default.aspx

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1309 on: August 29, 2010, 12:55:34 AM »
Richmond fans rally to Ben Cousins

* Jackie Epstein
    * August 28, 2010 7:49PM

BEN Cousins is set to play his final game on Sunday with the retiring midfielder admitting: "I'm not 100 per cent but I'll play."

Cousins tweaked his hamstring last week and on Saturday only managed to complete a short handball drill during training at Punt Rd.

He signed autographs for 10 minutes before returning to the track, but for half an hour he was mainly an onlooker, chatting with coaching staff as his teammates went through their paces.

Tigers players formed a guard of honour as Cousins led them off the field and they affectionately chanted the song, Kiss Him Goodbye by Steam.

Coach Damien Hardwick said: "Yeah, he'll play".

It has been a big week for the former Eagle with his much-anticipated documentary airing on Channel 7.

Reaction has been mixed to the revelations of his drug addiction and battle to play football again.

About 300 fans gathered at Punt Rd to witness the hour-long session and Cousins' final run on the oval.

There were plenty of well-wishers and strong applause when Cousins left the track.

Some Eagles fans even made the effort to acknowledge their once-favourite son.

Richmond confirmed on Saturday that Cousins would walk a lap of the ground with his teammates at the end of the match to thank the fans for their support throughout his career.

Richmond plays Port Adelaide at Etihad Stadium and as well as farewelling Cousins after two seasons it should also crown the Coleman medallist in Jack Riewoldt.

Riewoldt has kicked 75 goals and opened a lead of six over Western Bulldogs forward Barry Hall going into Round 22.

During the week Cousins said he was in a race against time to be fit.

Scans revealed no significant damage to his left hamstring after he left the field during Richmond's loss to St Kilda.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/cousins-to-make-farewell/story-e6frf9jf-1225911238910

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1310 on: August 29, 2010, 01:11:33 AM »
Cousins will play farewell match: Tigers
Jon Pierik
August 29, 2010

Retiring Tiger Ben Cousins warmed up for his last AFL game today - against Port Adelaide - by signing autographs for fans at Punt Road yesterday. Photo: Pat Scala

HE DIDN'T kick a ball at training yesterday, let alone jog a lap, but Richmond insists Ben Cousins, and his dodgy hamstring, will line up against Port Adelaide today.

Tigers coach Damien Hardwick and football boss Craig Cameron confirmed Cousins will play his farewell match at Etihad Stadium - although it remains to be seen just how much game time he will be able to log.

The Tigers say they put Cousins through a fitness test on Friday, and were happy with how he pulled up.

''Yeah, he'll play,'' Hardwick said.

As he fled a healthy gathering of passionate Tiger fans at Punt Road yesterday, Cousins, with trademark smirk, said of his fitness: ''I am not 100 per cent but we'll be close.''

Cousins, 32, hurt his hamstring in last week's loss to St Kilda and barely trained through the week.

While he did at least complete run-throughs at Victoria Park on Thursday, yesterday was a different story.

He stepped out 10 minutes after his teammates and the only action he involved himself in was handball work with assistant coach Wayne Campbell.

He spent less than 20 minutes on the field, clocking most of that time with the coaches and medical staff, and signed autographs for a further 10 minutes before he was given somewhat of a guard of honour and clapped off by his teammates.

''He did a fitness test yesterday which he came through really well, we just wanted to see how he pulled up today,'' Cameron told 3AW.

''He never does much the day before a game when the other guys train, so he'll play.

''We made a decision during the week that we wouldn't drag it out until Sunday and then withdraw him if he wasn't going to play, we were always going to make a call today, so he'll be out there tomorrow.''

Cousins can expect to be carried from the field today by his teammates after his 270th and final game, and the man himself says he is keen to have a few farewell drinks at tomorrow's end-of-season celebration.

While Cousins has admitted to leading the pack through the years on what traditionally has been dubbed ''Mad Mondays'', this year restraint will be shown by the recovering drug addict and his club.

''This year, there's probably a bit more focus on our club with mad Monday so we've certainly taken some measures to ensure their security and their privacy and also make sure we have drivers and those sorts of things to take guys home when it's time for them to go home,'' Cameron said.

''I'm not any more concerned this year generally than I would be, but it's obviously a time where footy clubs take measures to keep their players safe.''

Cameron said the club had focused particular attention on Cousins.

''I wouldn't want to go into it too much in public, but it's fair to say that we've made sure that Ben will be looked after that day and he particularly won't be hassled from any external factors. We've got some measures around him,'' Cameron said.

''It's not obligatory, it's actually not a sanctioned club function. I think we've just taken the attitude that if this sort of thing's going to happen then we'd like to control aspects of it.

''If we turned a blind eye to it and buried our heads in the sand, then that's when incidents can occur.''

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/cousins-will-play-farewell-match-tigers-20100828-13wwd.html

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1311 on: August 30, 2010, 12:18:35 AM »
Tigers' support crucial for Cousins
richmondfc.com.au
By Mic Cullen
8:19 PM Sun 29 August, 2010

AFTER his last game of AFL football, Ben Cousins has thanked the Richmond Football Club for standing up for him when he needed it.

In a short post-match interview in the rooms that was in many ways more revealing that the official retirement media conference two weeks ago, Cousins thanked the clubs he'd been at and admitted he was always running from something.

He said he hadn't become emotional after the game, but had been when he told the team before the media conference two weeks ago.

"The emotional time for me was when I got up and spoke to the blokes prior to having the press conference about my retirement," Cousins said.

"I'm the master at disguising my emotions - it's probably one of my problems sometimes, I'm always running from something, but there's nothing wrong with getting emotional, footy's an emotional game.

"Today's nothing but a good day - it would have been lovely to have a win, but aside from that, it's a day for me to celebrate all the good things that have happened to me."

Cousins said the Tigers had been terrific and predicted good things for them in the future.

"I'm just really proud to be part of this group - I think since Dimma (coach Damien Hardwick) has come in, the whole thing's started to turn, and for me personally, it's just nice to be here when this has all started," Cousins said.

"I'll leave the club as a player now, but I'll have a very close affinity with the journey that these guys are about to embark on, and the success that's coming their way."

A crowd of 37,674 turned out for the game, a massive increase over the 22,395 who turned out the last time these sides met in Melbourne, and the Tigers put the number down to the fact that it was Cousins' last game.

Cousins walked a lap of honour at the end of the game and left the ground through a guard of honour made up of the Port players and the non-playing Tigers players.

He was chaired off by skipper Chris Newman and young gun Trent Cotchin, and said he loved having the opportunity to thank the fans, something denied to him when he was sacked by West Coast.

"To walk the lap, and to pay my respects to the average football punter who has looked very kindly upon me … they've looked very kindly on me, they've welcomed me into this footy club in a really non-judgmental way, and I think the Richmond footy club has stood up for me when I needed them most.

"I think they really showed some leadership in an area of the community that's crying out for it."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/101441/default.aspx

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1312 on: August 30, 2010, 12:25:06 AM »
No fairytale ending as the Cousins show winds up
Greg Baum
August 30, 2010

BEN Cousins' farewell to football was becoming of him in that everything about it was outsized.

The crowd was 10,000 more than could have been expected for a match of such humble billing; the Records sold out before the start.

Richmond's entry was delayed while the ground announcer recited Cousins' accomplishments, usual for a tennis player in a major final, but unprecedented in this most adamantly egalitarian of games.
Advertisement: Story continues below

Port Adelaide's 10-goal second quarter was off the scale, but Richmond's comeback seemingly to snatch the lead in the last quarter was even farther fetched. The denouement was from another realm, too, although not from a fairytale.

Only Cousins' part in it was proportionate. He fretted that he might embarrass himself by breaking down in the warm-up, began all four quarters on bench, stayed away from the bottom of packs, reached constantly for hamstrings that sang like telephone wires in their tightness, and made his reluctance to kick obvious.

Mostly, he was an incidental in the unfolding of the game, as he never would have been his heyday. ''I got through but I was just going, wasn't I?'' he said. ''The boys carried me a bit.'' The game cut him down to size.

But when it was done, the lens was inverted again. He did a lap of honour, although cutting corners as he never did in any other endeavour, for better or worse.

He was feted as unconditionally as any 32-game player in history; later, he thanked Richmond people for their ''non-judgemental'' embrace. Chris Newman and Trent Cotchin chaired him off through a guard of Richmond and Port players.

If the other Tigers sometimes have felt like props in the Ben Cousins show, they have not complained. As for the fans, their longing for a hero never slackens.

In the rooms, the enlarging of the legend went on. There to greet Cousins was his long-suffering father, Bryan, others of his family, his drug counsellor and some friends from his West Coast days.

''It took every one of them to get me back to where I am,'' Cousins said.

Here, seemingly, was most of the cast of the so-called documentary that aired over two nights last week in an atmosphere almost of hysteria.

Channel Seven laboured its programming coup far past the point where it could credibly claim that it bought the rights as a service on drug education. But concerning Cousins, all sense of proportion was lost long ago.

An hour after the game, Cousins was still in his full match kit, reflexively stretching his twangy hamstring - dressed in a huge ice pack - still a footballer, just.

He was, he said, proud and excited, but drained. He was also, he said, a little over the Ben Cousins story himself. ''My front-page strike-rate was Don Bradman-like,'' he said.

Everything about Cousins' career has been exaggerated by the circumstances of its ending, but in due course, history will establish a place for him. It will not be the one that he might have envisaged once, but it will be worthy, and salutary, too. He will be seen in his proper size.

But first, there is ''Mad Monday''.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/no-fairytale-ending-as-the-cousins-show-winds-up-20100829-13xl8.html

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1313 on: August 30, 2010, 12:27:50 AM »
Game over, tainted star ponders retirement and life after football
Samantha Lane
August 30, 2010

WITH a hoarse voice, his left leg on ice, and a seemingly endless contingent of well-wishers around him in the Richmond change rooms last night, Ben Cousins said he was relieved he had made it through his 270th and final AFL match.

He said the meaning of retirement was something he could only start pondering now.

Cousins' last outing was almost a fairytale. Richmond, after being 59 points down early in the third term, nearly stole the win from Port Adelaide.

The Power left as a 10-point victor and 10th on the league ladder with 10 wins from a tumultuous season.

Tigers coach Damien Hardwick, who directed his side to six wins in his first season as head coach, did not dispute a momentum-swinging free kick that cost Richmond a goal and the lead in the final term.

Instead he focused on the room for improvement in his developing team.

Yesterday's result was ultimately meaningless, but the pulsating crowd of 37,674, predominantly Tiger faithful, gave Cousins an unforgettable send-off.

And as the football industry has sought to throw a safety net around the self-confessed drug addict in his retirement, Cousins revealed last night that he had already lined up some work to occupy him between now and Christmas.

Hardwick said the club planned to let the 2005 Brownlow medallist ''unwind'' before determining whether he would play a role at Punt Road beyond 2010.

''It hasn't sunk in, no way,'' Cousins said of his 21-possession game, which ended with a chair-off from captain Chris Newman and young gun Trent Cotchin through a guard of honour formed by both clubs.

''The average football punter that has looked very kindly on me, they welcomed me into this footy club in a really non-judgemental way,'' Cousins said.

''I think the Richmond footy club has stood up for me when I needed them most, and I think they really showed some leadership in an area in the community that's crying out for it.

''I'm just really proud to have be part of this group. I think since Dimma's [Hardwick] come in, the whole thing's started to turn.

''And for me personally, it's just nice to be here when this has all started because I'll leave the club as a player but I'll have a very close affinity with the journey that these guys are about to embark on and the success that's coming their way.

''I think everyone might be glad that they can have a spell from Ben Cousins now. My front-page strike-rate is Don Bradman-like, I'm looking forward to just taking a few steps back and I think that will be good for me. And good for everyone else.''

When asked how he would approach the traditional mad Monday celebrations, Cousins joked: ''Flat out''.

He then said: ''No, I've learnt a fair bit over the last few years. And I'll catch up and have a few beers with the boys. Some of my best work's been done on ''Mad Monday'', but I don't need to be doing that any more. Once bitten, twice shy.''

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/game-over-tainted-star-ponders-retirement-and-life-after-football-20100829-13xl7.html

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1314 on: August 30, 2010, 07:04:02 AM »

WITH a hobehind voice,

:lol   :lol

Seriously mods, is there anyone out there anymore that still considers 'ass' to be swearing?

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1315 on: September 01, 2010, 04:58:56 PM »
BEN ON SEVEN, FOX RADAR
#  Jon Ralph
# From: Herald Sun
# September 01, 2010 12:24PM

THE last year of a TV broadcast deal always makes networks particularly nervous, especially with the rights in limbo.

That goes double-fold for presenters and special comments men keen to ensure their contracts are extended beyond the current deal.

Imagine if you threw into the picture two of the most talented, charismatic ex-footballers of the modern era - Cuzzy and the Duck.

Both of Ben Cousins and Wayne Carey are sure to be sought after next year by TV executives determined to maximise the huge sums they are paying to telecast football.

Who keeps their job for 2012? Are two of the AFL's resident bad boys worth the risk? Who wins the bidding war for Cousins, if indeed he decides that is his chosen path?

All of it makes for a messy, high-stakes picture.

What is not in doubt is that Cousins is a ratings winner. Not just in last week's documentary, but as a media performer.

Warm, charismatic, effusive, he is the perfect TV package. Men want to be him, women want to be with him.
Channel 7 footy boss Lewis Martin is known to be keen to secure his services.

Why wouldn't he after two nights of ratings gold last week?

His On The Couch performance earlier this year was a virtual audition for a greater role at Foxtel next year, which also has him very much on their radar.

He has joked about not crossing over to the dark side, but which AFL footballer better knows his commercial value? Who else would start a video-diary when deep in the grip of drug addiction, knowing they could eventually make a bob out of it?

Then comes the risk.

Cousins says himself his drug addiction is a ''chronic relapse condition''.

Seven just got smashed from pillar to post for hiring the troubled Matthew Newton despite his obvious issues.
What happens if that situation revisits itself with Cousins next year?

Carey is clearly a safer bet for a network in regard to a relapse from his well-documented issues, but his baggage is greater.

Despite his role as a consumate media performer, he is still a polarising presence with the fairer sex.

Whereas Cousins has even been mentioned as capable of hosting a show like The Amazing Race, Carey is a footy expert through and through.

He has dipped his toe into the water by pinch-hitting with Channel 10, SEN, and on the excellent website backpagelead.com.au.

All of it has been hugely successful.

What is clear is that when he speaks people listen, so much so that he already has willing suitors.

Whether that translates into a more expanded role or not remains to be seen.

It's hard to slot in new talent when you have your own network stars on contract.

The final year of the rights deal confuses the issue too.

Does a network like Seven sign Cousins to a one-year deal, only to be outbid in a price war by another network the following year?

The only two certainties are that Carey knows football, and that the camera loves Cousins.

Let the games begin.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/the-buzz-will-pav-walk/story-e6frf9jf-1225912285599

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1316 on: September 02, 2010, 12:32:45 AM »
AFL investigated Cousins drug link
Caroline Wilson
September 2, 2010

THE AFL was so concerned about Ben Cousins's recent overdose that it instructed its medical officers to investigate whether the retired footballer had been rushed to hospital as a result of taking the illicit drug GHB.

The AFL's operations manager, Adrian Anderson, confirmed he had asked for more information into the Cousins drama, when he was taken by ambulance to Epworth Hospital on July 5 after falling unconscious.

''I've had it made very clear to me that it wasn't GHB-related,'' Anderson said. ''I asked our doctors to look into it and there was no issue there. I can't recall what drug it was but as I recall it was a very strong prescription medication and definitely not an illicit drug.''

Several hospital sources have told The Age in recent weeks they believed Cousins's symptoms were compatible with those of gamma-hydroxybutyrate, an illegal drug which was taken by Hawthorn's Travis Tuck last Friday night and rendered him unconscious.

As a result, Tuck has become the first AFL player to register a third strike.

Anderson said AFL doctors had spoken with Richmond doctors and several others consulted by Cousins. He said Cousins had been drug-tested after being released from hospital.

Richmond chief executive Brendon Gale said: ''We're not aware of how Ben presented that day. But we've got absolutely no reason to think anything other than the explanation we were given. We believe what we've been told and I took it on face value.''

Cousins, who last night attended his last Richmond function as a listed player at the Jack Dyer Medal count, volunteered to be drug-tested on the day he was released from hospital. He had been reported during his stay to have demonstrated erratic and changeable behaviour, having been at times in a highly agitated state. He spent a significant time in intensive care on a respirator.

Anderson agreed yesterday that GHB was difficult to detect because of the rapidity in which it leaves the system, but denied the AFL had only begun testing for it in 2009.

While Tuck's career might have been saved with Hawthorn's decision to place him on its rookie list next season, the war of words over the AFL's three-strikes policy raged yesterday.

Anderson confirmed that a player not attending a counselling session as a result of a positive test could then have a second test registered against his name.

Two years ago, North Melbourne's Nathan Thompson refused a drug test at a recovery session after the club's last game, saying he had an appointment with his surgeon. No positive strike was registered against him, a fact reported by The Age but dismissed by AFL boss Andrew Demetriou as ''a beat-up''.

Anderson said that target testing was now held more frequently at club recovery sessions and that refusal to take a test was now a mandatory illicit drug strike.

AFL clubs have become increasingly concerned about GHB, and Professor John Currie, a leading drug and alcohol expert at Melbourne's St Vincent's Hospital, told The Age: ''If life is stressful, this [GHB] is something which damps down that sort of stress.

''Basically it is a drug that is fairly rapidly cleared from the body. Certainly after about 12 hours it might be quite hard to detect.

''We know that some sports people use it … I think it's quite possible it's used by footballers. But I think the question would be 'what are they using it for'.

''You would not imagine that most people would want to use it while they were playing, they'd want to use it to relax after playing. They wouldn't be doing it necessarily to be raving, they'd be doing it more to settle down.''

But the drug affects the brain in two different ways, initially as a sedative and later as a stimulant. ''It's sometimes called a rebound,'' Professor Currie said.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-investigated-cousins-drug-link-20100901-14nj5.html

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1317 on: September 02, 2010, 12:56:24 AM »
Hell hath no fury.....

FNM

« Reply #1318 on: September 02, 2010, 05:19:26 AM »
Surely, they weren't privy to his medical records?

jackstar is back again

« Reply #1319 on: September 02, 2010, 06:17:58 AM »
Dont know why caro writes this rubbish.
Most know what happened, lets move on and forget about the past