Author Topic: BEN COUSINS [merged]  (Read 217108 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: BEN COUSINS [merged]
« Reply #691 on: March 23, 2009, 06:51:06 PM »
Cheers for that RROFO  :cheers

It's been over 3 months for Benny and so far so good.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #692 on: March 25, 2009, 07:22:13 PM »
Cousins 'ready and eager'
richmondfc.com.au
By Jennifer Witham  Wed 25 March, 2009

RICHMOND coach Terry Wallace says Ben Cousins is ready and eager to make his return to the big league on Thursday night against Carlton.

In a highly-anticipated season opener, Cousins will face with his former West Coast teammate Chris Judd in his first game since 2007.

Wallace confirmed the former Eagle would be thrown right into the thick of things against the Blues and was set to start on the field.

"We expect him to get out and have a real crack, as you would expect from any one of your players," Wallace said on Wednesday.

"We think he has prepared well for the game. We certainly thought he was better in NAB four than he was in NAB two, so he has built up along the way.

"He will be just like any other player and he will try to put his best foot forward and see what happens on the night.

"In his first game, we started him and got him into the action and we'll do the same thing."

Cousins looked ominous as he trained at Gosch's Paddock on Wednesday evening, snapping goals with his teammates in the Tigers' final training session before the big game.

Wallace said the Brownlow medallist is prepared to go the distance this year after the hype surrounding his first game dies down.

"I spoke to him over in the rooms beforehand and he's ready for the challenges that AFL footy brings," he said.

"As we all know, it's a 22-round affair and Juddy had the same situation last year. He performed well in that game and went on and did a great job for his club.

"It's Ben's turn to go through that process this season."

Before calling an end to questions relating to Cousins, Wallace said the club had expected the near-hysteria that has surrounded this round one match.

He predicted the hype would flare again in time for the Tigers' round 12 clash with the Eagles, but ultimately believed the interest in the talented midfielder would fade.

"We knew exactly what we were taking on and we knew there were going to be some key times," he said.

"Round one was always going to be one of those times and when he plays against the West Coast Eagles, that will be another time.

"But we played up on the Gold Coast and had no one follow us up there for NAB four so I think that's where it will end up eventually. Only time will tell."

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/73721/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #693 on: March 26, 2009, 03:21:47 AM »
Ben Cousins to write for us
Herald-Sun | March 26, 2009 12:00am

THE most talked about name in football is joining the most talked about newspaper in football.

Ben Cousins will write for the Herald Sun, starting tomorrow.

Tonight Cousins will play one of the biggest games of his long and storied career.

Tomorrow he will tell you about his comeback after 18 months on the sidelines overcoming his life's biggest challenge.

"I'm really looking forward to playing again," Cousins said yesterday.

"And I am looking forward to being in a position to comment about the game.

"I've experienced a lot and can bring a unique perspective to columns."

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25242878-19742,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #694 on: March 26, 2009, 03:24:45 AM »
Chris Judd and Ben Cousins focus on task at hand
Jon Anderson | March 26, 2009

WEST Coast champion Glen Jakovich has declared that the two main combatants in tonight's AFL opener won't give a damn about the hype.

Jakovich, who played for nine years alongside Ben Cousins and three with Chris Judd, said the pair were too professional to let the "hoopla" get in the way.

"They have enormous mutual respect and they will have nerves like everyone else. But once they get on the ground tonight, they won't give a rat's arse about the hype. It will all be about how they can best help their respective teams," said Jakovich, who played 276 games for the Eagles from 1991 to 2004.

"We're talking about two players who were fully aware of their abilities from an early age, but two men who aren't at all egotistical. The match may be a promoter's dream, but these two are too focused to fall for that."

Shane Crawford, who played on both in the midfield during his 305-game career with Hawthorn, admits to being an unabashed Ben Cousins fan and is desperate to see the fallen star regain past glories.

While Crawford and Cousins were on-field adversaries for much of their decorated careers, the retired Hawthorn star hopes tonight's Richmond-Carlton game lives up to its hype.

"I loved playing against Cousins and I love watching him play. It was a brave decision by Richmond to take him and I just hope he has a great year," Crawford said.

"It was the same for me against Judd, although in some ways he was even more dangerous because he could take an overhead mark. There were always a few extra nerves when playing against those two."

Jakovich, who says he will be glued to the television from his Perth home, has no doubt the pair will acquit themselves brilliantly, although he wonders if Cousins' indiscretions cost the Eagles a flag.

"Ben will be happy to be back in the locker-room because for him that's a very good place. I'm sure being removed from that environment hurt him enormously, although that was something Ben had control over," Jakovich said.

"I'm glad he's now in a happy place. But what he went through probably cost the Eagles an extra piece of silverware.

"In history we will look back and ask, 'Has there ever been a better centre-square quartet than Dean Cox, Cousins, Judd and Daniel Kerr?' "

Jakovich said both Cousins and Judd were meticulous in their preparation, and players willing to do whatever it took to learn.

"There are more similarities than differences," Jakovich said.

"They harnessed their confidence and were always prepared to listen to improve their games in an attempt to help the team. And both had incredible attention to detail.

"They were always looking for the next challenge and from an early age could turn a game."

While reluctant to nominate the better of the two, Crawford admitted that Judd had an extra trick or two in his kit.

CRAWFORD ON COUSINS

"Cousins was very much a front-and-square crumber. Just a real gut runner. You knew when he went that it could end in two or three possessions because he would give it off, then try and receive it.

"And when he went he usually got the footy.

"He would always back himself, and those are the toughest to play on. Never negative and always taking the game on.

"You might keep him quiet for two quarters, then he would have 10 possessions in 10 minutes.

"When he finished a game, he would have always left everything on the track."

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25241745-19742,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #695 on: March 26, 2009, 03:27:03 AM »
The man who sold out the MCG
Caroline Wilson | March 26, 2009

BEN Cousins was in a state of high anxiety when Channel Ten's crew arrived at Tigerland two days ago to record an interview with Richmond's most famous recruit and Australia's most famous recovering drug addict.

The man who has single-handedly rewritten the script for the 2009 AFL season-opener, sold out the MCG on a school night, buried the formula one grand prix and forced the Ten Network tonight to ditch The Simpsons, was stressed and unhappy.

Cousins remains a superstar but he is a fragile one, no longer wealthy and, on the eve of his long-awaited comeback, he looked drawn and nervous. The source of his displeasure lay in some of the questions put to him by Ten's commentator and former Western Bulldogs captain Luke Darcy. Forced to conduct the interview under a new AFL media agreement with its broadcasters, Cousins did not appreciate being asked, for example, how he felt when St Kilda abandoned him late last year. The tension in the room was tangible.

He took his displeasure out on Tiger officials. His manager Ricky Nixon took it out on the AFL Players' Association and AFL executive Gillon McLachlan told The Age the interview, which will air at half-time during tonight's Richmond-Carlton game, would be edited.

Most parties felt Cousins was over-reacting. That his response was one of a fragile 30-year-old champion who has not played a proper AFL game for more than 18 months and whose reputation and livelihood depend on a successful comeback. Clearly, he is no longer as financially secure as he once was and he has heavily invested in a documentary he needs to sell. The anticipation surrounding his performance tonight, as he takes on a rejuvenated Carlton led by his 2006 premiership teammate Chris Judd, at least across Victoria and South and Western Australia, could be compared to Cathy Freeman's Olympic quest back in 2000.

His impact on the once mighty Richmond Football Club, the competition's worst-performed team over more than a quarter of a century, has been spectacular in financial terms. The club has more members now than at any time in its history and even with its controversially poor agreement with the MCG, should still reap about $500,000 on the basis of tonight's crowd.

A clearer picture of his football influence will be apparent about 10 o'clock tonight and as the season unfolds, but already his effect on his teammates has been substantial.

"His knowledge of footy is very, very good," said former Tiger captain Wayne Campbell, now the club's midfield coach . "He sees the game far better than I would have expected him to, but that probably says more about my expectations than him. He certainly watched a lot of footy last year, which shouldn't have surprised me. He's very smart and he knows the game very well."

Cousins' one-time West Coast coach Ken Judge warned Richmond's mentor Terry Wallace not to expect the kind of off-field leader who would take young players out for conversational cups of coffee. Cousins' impact, said Judge, would come on-field, on the track and in the gym.

In the reported words of Richmond's most beloved and talented player, Matthew Richardson: "I don't want him to be best man at my wedding. I just want him to play good footy for the Richmond Football Club."

Cousins' individual flair and work ethic were apparent in his first gym session at Punt Road last December. He walked in carrying a football and conducted the entire circuit with the ball alongside him, bouncing it and twirling it between repetitions. Soon several young Tigers were doing the same.

Campbell said Cousins had increasingly spoken up in midfield meetings and that, when he did so, his thoughts made a significant impact. During one training session, he took the Tigers' No. 1 pick in the 2004 national draft, Brett Deledio, aside and told him to take on the game more, to play more like Judd. Deledio, 21, was left encouraged, inspired and not a little chuffed.

"They've all learnt from him," said Campbell. "Even his first press conference. When you look at everything he's been through, his humility that day and his poise and humour were remarkable and the players picked up on that."

Having placed his body and his trust in the hands of Richmond's elite performance manager Matt Hornsby, Cousins was paired on the track with another intense trainer, midfielder and vice-captain Nathan Foley.

Even he looked impressed in February when, on a 40-degree day during a scratch match at Victoria Park, Cousins was benched after half-time and immediately embarked upon five sets of 200-metre sprints.

Cousins is high-maintenance. Drug-tested more than any player in the AFL — a fact which has been the source of some friction between the AFL and its players' union — and intruded upon by the Melbourne Sunday tabloid to the extent the national Press Council has become involved, the Tigers are still attempting to treat him like any other player.

And yet they are counting the profits as they do so. The AFL remains on alert, fearing a relapse, at the same time realising as long ago as last Thursday that the MCG would be sold out for round one for the first time ever — and by two teams who did not even play finals last year.

The last time Cousins played football on the MCG he did so in a grand final victory, at the end of the day holding aloft the 2006 premiership cup with Judd.

Now he has sold out a Thursday night home-and-away game of football for his new club. Even Judd couldn't do that.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/the-cousins-effect/2009/03/25/1237656995732.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #696 on: March 26, 2009, 12:21:20 PM »
I've got to say I love Caro at the moment both for her insight into the club and her passion for our great side.

Love that last line -

'Now he has sold out a Thursday night home-and-away game of football for his new club. Even Judd couldn't do that.'  :clapping

Stripes

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #697 on: March 27, 2009, 05:30:32 AM »
Prodigal out to have impact
Nick Sheridan | March 27, 2009

HIS re-entry into the AFL universe may have been substantially cooler than the white-hot performances that earned him his reputation as one of the game's finest, but Ben Cousins revealed last night that he still had the exceptional self-belief that has helped him set him apart during his playing career.

Speaking ahead of his first match for Richmond after some 18 months out of the game after being embroiled in a series of off-field intrigues relating to his self-confessed drug addiction, Cousins told Channel Ten last night that he would still back himself as a player with an ability to have a serious impact on the contest.

"I've always had a healthy confidence in my ability and still have that and I haven't come back into footy just to make up numbers, I've come back to have an impact at Richmond both on and off the field," Cousins said in one of the interview's less-guarded moments.

The 2005 Brownlow medallist's presence was not enough to boost the Tigers last night as the Blues romped home in front of an almost full house at the MCG. He left the field in the last term after appearing to injure his hamstring.

The interview, conducted by former Bulldog great Luke Darcy, stayed in safe territory, focusing on Cousins' football and the process and expectations of settling at his new club, while avoiding the topic of the addiction that almost cost the former West Coast captain his career. Cousins spoke of the anticipation of lining up against Chris Judd, his former premiership teammate and the man who succeeded him as Eagles captain, after he relinquished the position following an early off-field mishap.

"I'm looking forward to playing against him, not quite as much as I enjoyed playing with him, but yeah it is funny how football works," he said. "Life works in funny ways and with everything's that happened, there's certainly been negatives to come out of it, but there's been some huge positives."

Cousins' near-fanatical attention to his fitness and physical condition is legendary, and he said it would be this that would hold him in good stead as he tries to find his way back into the game.

"I think I've still got my fitness and ability to run hard. The game itself, from what I've seen, the limited games, has changed a lot and the way you need to apply that has probably changed, so I'll still be finding my feet in the early games, but essentially work ethic is still a big part of the game."

Cousins also said that working along Tigers' great Matthew Richardson, who has earned the nickname Benjamin Button for his ability to keep improving his football as he has aged, was also a highlight of his move to Punt Road.

"He's a marvel," Cousins said. "The way he trains, plays, backs up playing with training he just keeps getting better and better."

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/prodigal-out-to-have-impact/2009/03/26/1237657081030.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #698 on: March 28, 2009, 04:05:20 AM »
Cousins can beat setback
Nathan Buckley | March 28, 2009

We all struggle, we all fall from time to time - it's picking yourself up, dusting yourself off and going again that counts.

NOTHING Ben Cousins does in the rest of his life will be normal. Even the most mundane, everyday occurrence for him has been, and will continue to be, headlines. Sightings have been reported all over Melbourne; at the shops, wow; out to dinner with friends, gasp; with a girl, giggle; at a rock concert … I say, good on him.

Everyone is fascinated with the Ben Cousins story. He is a very public figure who has endured a very public demise and now he is working day by day to get back to the existence that is normal to him … being an AFL footballer.

Professional footballers aren't robots, they need somewhere or something to release the emotional pressure and stress that can build up; no different to everyone else, really. Even the most professional players have their vices, otherwise the intensity and focus required can simply not be sustained.

For Cousins, his release valve of choice in the past was destructive and he is still in the process of finding strategies to find the necessary balance in his "new" life.

As he works towards that, he is under intense scrutiny. It's a tough ask. There is very little fair-minded commentary of his situation. The highs and lows that he is trying to avoid in order to find consistency are everywhere he looks.

The events of Thursday night won't have made it any easier.

The "Cousins return" lived up to the hype, despite the fact it was a non-contest. The game was secondary to the main event. Cousins in his first home-and-away match for 18 months, as a Tiger, in front of a packed MCG. Depending on your perspective, you were either enthralled, excited or worried. The latter were on the money.

All eyes would have looked and found the impressively ripped figure of Cousins as the Tigers took the field for their first warm-up and then again when they entered the arena moments before play began.

They didn't have to wait long until he earned his first touch, either — a simple ground-level gather, evade a tackler, give off in the corridor and follow up the disposal. It looked like auto-pilot for him, but it would have been a much-needed settler to calm the nerves.

I began watching the game with the knowledge of this article on the horizon. I was going to keep an eye on his every move, but as the game unfolded I became enthralled with the verve and intensity of Carlton's youth. It's hard not to be pulled in by such raw enthusiasm.

There was a period in the second term when Richmond was on the ropes and none of its players looked likely, or keen for that matter, to be the one to halt the slide and take the bull by the horns. At the 10-minute mark, Cousins got three quick touches in the space of a minute, he looked like being the one that would refuse to be pushed back any further. In the end, neither he nor the Tigers could sustain it.

Ultimately, long after the Tigers' night was over, so too was Cousins'.

Right on three-quarter-time he reached down to the back of his knee, flicked the left leg out a few times and surged for 20 metres into the huddle, in the process of self-evaluation an experienced player goes through with soft-tissue stress.

After assessment and treatment during the break the decision was made to send him out in the final stanza. Just minutes in, with ball in hand, pushing hard out of defence, he broke down. There has been criticism of the medical and coaching staff for allowing it to happen, but a player of Cousins' experience generally makes the call, and this is where external pressure and the long lay-off can play a part.

He is a natural competitor, he wants to play and wants to make a difference. Perhaps even more so now, to repay the faith and opportunity the Tigers have granted him. Eternal optimism is also a common trait of champions and at no stage would Cousins have considered the worst-case scenario.

This time around, though, he will have less knowledge of how his body will react to the same volumes and stresses that it handled routinely just a few years ago. It was an error in judgement and an unfortunate incident, but injury is an ever-present part of the game.

There is little doubt that Cousins' unique circumstances compounds any setback and it is now, more than ever, that he will need the support and structure that the football environment provides. This was always going to be a "high-risk" period, but he seems better placed now to deal with it than at any stage of the past few years.

Since the moment he was overlooked in the national draft last year, what I've seen and heard from Cousins has been admirable. You can tell when someone finds clarity in themselves, accepts responsibility for their actions and the affect it has on the rest of their life, and others — just as Wayne Carey showed last weekend.

For Cousins and Carey, that attitude is a massive contrast to the smokescreen, bravado and bluff that existed up to that point.

After Thursday's game, the perspective Cousins had on his setback was as it should be. He was gutted, frustrated and desperate to prove his worth, and he will work towards doing that.

While Cousins was the story that night, the reality was quite different. Rather than see just Ben Cousins on the football field, I saw 44 individuals, each with their own trials and challenges; all of them just as real and confronting as another set of circumstances might be to another.

That's football and it's also the way of the world. We all struggle, we all fall from time to time … it's picking yourself up, dusting yourself off and going again that counts.

I hope that everyone on that field continues to deal with their challenges and make the most of the opportunity to play the game. I wish it as much for Ben Cousins as I do for any other.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/cousins-can-beat-setback/2009/03/27/1237657151106.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #699 on: March 30, 2009, 02:05:45 PM »
Angelo Vendetti defends Ben Cousins from smears linked to murder case
Elissa Hunt | March 30, 2009 11:08am

A FRIEND of Ben Cousins has walked free after a charge of ordering a gangland murder was suddenly dropped today.

Angelo Venditti, known as Fat Ange, told heraldsun.com.au he was "ecstatic" to be cleared of a charge over the 2002 execution of Sunshine drug dealer Paul Kallipolitis.

It was during Mr Venditti's bail hearing last year – on the day that Cousins was drafted by the Tigers – that his ties to the recovering drug addict were revealed by police.

His "good friend" Cousins had suffered as a result, Mr Venditti said this morning as he left the Melbourne Magistrates’ Court with his legal team.

"He should be allowed to continue with his rehabilitation off the field and his brilliance on it," Mr Venditti said.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25262012-661,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #700 on: April 02, 2009, 11:38:15 PM »
Hutchy says Cousins and his management and the Club are now on the same page as far as his Herald-Sun column and other media commitments. Thanks for that groundbreaking news Hutchy  :wallywink.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #701 on: April 28, 2009, 06:06:56 PM »
The Herald-Sun journos are back to stalking Cuz's personal life  ::)

Maylea Tinecheff missing, Ben Cousins dines alone
April 28, 2009

BEN Cousins may be back on the market, with reports this his live-in lover Maylea Tinecheff is back in Perth with no plans to return any time soon.

The troubled Tiger, 30, has been sighted at several Melbourne pubs and restaurants recently, including The Albert Park Hotel and Riva Bar, without his live-in girlfriend by his side.

The last time Tinecheff was seen out and about with her man was after an exclusive Grand Prix party.

Tinecheff and her two young children moved into Cousins' bayside home in March this year, but it looks like the couple have already hit troubled waters.

Tinecheff said yesterday she was staying in her home town of Perth and was unsure if she would return to Melbourne.

"I'm here with my kids and I'm not certain when I am coming back," Tinecheff said.

Things were not helped when Cousins was snapped outside his home one Sunday in March with a mystery brunette who was later revealed as model Elli Johnston.

Tinecheff earlier delayed crossing the Nullarbor after photos of the leggy Johnston were published.

The naturopath, who has known Cousins for about 15 years, was believed to be the star's pillar of support during his struggles to overcome drug addiction and return to football.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25395454-5012974,00.html

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #702 on: April 28, 2009, 10:25:34 PM »
I wonder what has caused that.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #703 on: April 28, 2009, 10:29:44 PM »
She was probably sick of journalists watching her in her living room by peering over the fence

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #704 on: April 28, 2009, 10:30:48 PM »
Maybe.