Author Topic: BEN COUSINS [merged]  (Read 218806 times)

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: BEN COUSINS [merged]
« Reply #855 on: July 11, 2009, 09:48:41 PM »
best thing i have seen Cuz this year do is in the first quarter handballing to Morton then shepherding so he could snap through a goal.

That vision should be replayed to the entire team week in week out.

IMO Cuz is one of our best and needs to stay

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #856 on: July 11, 2009, 09:50:35 PM »
Every single time the guy comes off he is absolutely spent (Right behind the interchange today).
Must play on next year just for the example and leadership the guy has to offer. pure class  :clapping

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #857 on: July 11, 2009, 11:28:12 PM »
Cuz will go on next year according to Jon Ralph on Ch 10. Cuz wants to go on, Newman wants Cuz to go on as he lifts the young players, and the decision if Cuz will go on will made by the list management rather than the (new) coach and they want him to play on next year.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #858 on: July 12, 2009, 01:13:40 AM »
It appears more and more likely from the Club's comments that Cuz and Richo will be the only 30 year olds around next year. Cuz you would think will get a pay rise with his new one-year contract which will help push our TPP up to the 92.5% minimum.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Ramps

« Reply #859 on: July 12, 2009, 01:18:16 AM »
It appears more and more likely from the Club's comments that Cuz and Richo will be the only 30 year olds around next year. Cuz you would think will get a pay rise with his new one-year contract which will help push our TPP up to the 92.5% minimum.

Maybe the chequebook will come out for a young out of contract player during the PSD period  ;)

92.5% is the minimum and with our retirements, delistments and possible trades ... we have massive room in the cap.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #860 on: July 12, 2009, 04:38:34 AM »
gun. will rip it up next season

:cheers

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #861 on: July 14, 2009, 04:57:46 AM »
Coaching hopefuls to rule on Ben Cousins
Stephen Rielly | July 14, 2009 | The Australian

BEN Cousins is unlikely to know for several months whether he has a future at Richmond next year.

The Tigers intend to put Cousins's name, and those of other senior players with doubts on their careers, to the last-stage candidates for the senior coaching position before making their call on the 2005 Brownlow medallist.

Applications for the coaching position that was vacated by Terry Wallace last month closed less than a fortnight ago, with preliminary interviews yet to begin, let alone major presentations and the last round of interviews for the short-listed candidates.

Cousins played his best game for the Tigers on the weekend, a 35-possession effort against Carlton that encouragingly prompted Richmond football operations manager Craig Cameron to declare yesterday: "He's clearly getting better."

It was a performance of assurance and powerful running, far from the days earlier in the season when Richmond's punt on the former West Coast captain appeared to be a star-crossed bet.

Cousins tore a hamstring in the opening round and later broke a bone in a hand, a combination that sidelined him for six matches and suggested that, physically, he could not get back to what he had been. On Saturday, glimpses of the Cousins of old were seen even though he carried a cold into the game.

He is now averaging almost 24 possessions a game from nine matches.

"We haven't opened the batting on Ben, not yet," said Cameron on the issue of a new contract.

"To be honest, I don't think we will until the process of appointing a coach has been taken a few steps further. Ben's future is, ultimately, a list management decision but I don't think it will hurt to get a feel from the potential new coaches.

"It's something we will probably do with all of the older players, get a sense of how they are seen by the people who could be coaching the club next year.

"As I said, the decisions on those players won't be anyone's but the club's, or of list management, but it certainly won't hurt to know what thoughts others might have."

Cousins, who turned 31 last month, is one of five 30-somethings on Richmond's list who are far from certain to be at Punt Rd under a new coach next year.

Matthew Richardson is the oldest and yet safest of them, a 34-year-old who has missed much of the season with a serious hamstring injury but one who was third in the 2008 best and fairest count, third in the Brownlow medal and is still in possession of many of his athletic gifts.

Richardson is due to make his return in the next four weeks and has said he would like to play on next year, an ambition that won't be hurt by his standing as the club's sole great of the past two decades.

The understanding painfully arrived at this year that the Tigers are a long way from contention does not stand to be so kind, though, to Joel Bowden, Nathan Brown and Troy Simmonds, who turned 31 yesterday.

The Tigers, by turning to youth in the weeks since Wallace's exit, have indicated that they won't keep all of them and may, in fact, release them all.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25777561-2722,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #862 on: July 14, 2009, 06:40:48 PM »
Keep Cousins on, says Deledio
richmondfc.com.au
By Mic Cullen 3:15 PM Tue 14 July, 2009

BRETT Deledio says he hopes in-form teammate Ben Cousins will be at the club in 2010.

Cousins-mania swept the city late last year when there was talk that Richmond would draft the fallen Eagle after the Saints and the Magpies had both declared they were not interested.

The media conference after the Tigers took the Brownlow Medallist with the last pick in the 2008 NAB AFL Pre-Season Draft was the biggest of the year by a fair margin.

He did his hamstring in the season opener against Carlton, and the circus fired up again with many questioning the wisdom of drafting a 30-year-old to the club that already had the highest number of players in the competition over that age.

But since his return in round seven, Cousins has slowly made his way back towards top form, with 35 possessions last weekend against Carlton his best for the year.

Deledio said Cousins was a terrific leader on the ground.

"Ben’s been fantastic. I can’t speak highly enough of him," he said from Punt Road on Tuesday.

"I never realised how much of a team player Ben was until you witness it first-hand.

"I haven’t seen anyone drive as much to help out another teammate as he has, and to see his work rate and that on game day is phenomenal."

Richmond's 2008 best-and-fairest winner said he hoped Cousins would remain a Tiger.

"Absolutely," was Deledio's response when asked if he would like to have Cousins at the club next year.

Cousins has always been one of the hardest trainers in the AFL – regularly throwing up on Subiaco Oval when at West Coast – but Deledio said that now the four-time Eagles club champion and six time All-Australian was 31, he was more focused on looking after his body and getting himself right for matches.

"He grows another leg, as he would put it," Deledio said.

"He gets himself right for game day – he trains really hard and works his behind off in the gym, but it’s more so game day that I’ve noticed."

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/blogarticle/tabid/14215/newsid/80664/default.aspx

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #863 on: July 14, 2009, 06:43:10 PM »
By Mic Cullen
 3:05 PM Tue 14 July, 2009RICHMOND young gun Brett Deledio has made an impassioned plea for the club to keep Ben Cousins on the list beyond 2009, describing him as a true team man with a phenomenal work rate.

"Ben’s been fantastic. I can’t speak highly enough of him," Deledio said from Punt Road on Tuesday.

"I never realised how much of a team player Ben was until you witness it first-hand.

"I haven’t seen anyone drive as much to help out another teammate as he has, and to see his work rate  on game day is phenomenal."

Deledio also said Cousins was a terrific leader who he “absolutely” wanted to be a Tiger again in 2010.

Cousins has always been one of the hardest trainers in the AFL – regularly throwing up on Subiaco Oval when at West Coast – but Deledio said that now the four-time Eagles club champion and six time All-Australian was 31, he was more focused on looking after his body and getting himself right for matches.

"He grows another leg, as he would put it," Deledio said.

"He gets himself right for game day – he trains really hard and works his behind off in the gym, but it’s more so game day that I’ve noticed."

Cousins was overlooked by all clubs in the 2008 NAB AFL Draft and again by five clubs in the 2009 NAB AFL Pre-season Draft. But the Tigers took a punt with pick No.6 and Cousins arrived in Melbourne to an enormous fan-fare.

The media conference after the Tigers took the Brownlow Medallist was the biggest of the year by a fair margin.

But the season started poorly for Cousins when he tore his hamstring in the season opener against Carlton, and many pundits questioned the wisdom of drafting a 30-year-old to a club that already had the highest number of players in the competition over that age.

But since his return in round seven, Cousins has slowly made his way back towards top form, with his 35-possession performance last weekend against Carlton his best for the year.

He earned eight of a possible 10 votes from coaches Brett Ratten and Jade Rawlings in the AFLCA Crown Champion Player of the year award.

The Tigers face North Melbourne on Sunday in their round 16 match at the MCG.Exclusive to AFL BigPond Network

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/80662/default.aspx
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #864 on: July 14, 2009, 06:45:09 PM »
Wel listening to Lids there they both won't be going anyware.... :pray :clapping

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #865 on: July 14, 2009, 06:47:36 PM »
Whoops sorry mod's, I have just seen the same story posted in the Cousins thread, you can delete this one if you want.

"Rucks:

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #866 on: July 14, 2009, 06:49:21 PM »
Well like I said in my other post looks like Cuz and Lids will be staying IMO.. :clapping

"Rucks:

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #867 on: July 14, 2009, 06:51:04 PM »
Keeping Cuz can only benefit theTigers, it is obvious he hates losing!

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #868 on: July 14, 2009, 08:01:33 PM »
The only thing I want Lids commenting on is how happy he is to be re-signing on a long term deal with Richmond.

I COULD NOT CARE LESS ABOUT ANYTHING ELSE HE SAYS.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Ox

« Reply #869 on: July 14, 2009, 08:14:30 PM »
The confessed drug addict is the best :lol

The fact so many are stunned by his dedication,leadership and teamanship shows how insipid and clueless our bunnies sre. :banghead