Author Topic: BEN COUSINS [merged]  (Read 215793 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: BEN COUSINS [merged]
« Reply #405 on: December 11, 2008, 08:56:34 PM »
I hope he comes  :thumbsup

Foley Lids Tuck Cotch Cuz Polo Kane Cogs Bling White Edwards Brown

Just a list of the midfielders we have at our disposal on our list.
A plethera of riches.  :thumbsup
Throw in Blingers, Jacko, Connors, Thommo and Hislop too.

If Cogs miraculously makes it back as well then that'll be two new recruits for nix.

Won't cost us much.
We will be seen as doing the right thing.
And if he does the wrong thing then we will have unanimous support n letting him go.

I just think he has alot to prove and we would be stupid not to do look into it and take a punt on him. It's not as if he killed a person. He harmed himself. Hopefully he has learnt from it and if Ben Cousins is for Ben Cousins and he is this egotistical twit that people say he is then he has the biggest motivation to stick it up Andy D's and West Coast's rectum and succeed at the highest level once again.
Let's hope so it works out. Up to Cuz himself.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #406 on: December 12, 2008, 05:11:17 AM »
His last chance
Herald-Sun Editorial | December 12, 2008

BEN Cousins should look on his last chance to play AFL football as his best chance of rebuilding his life.

If Richmond picks up the 2005 Brownlow medallist in next week's pre-season draft, it is not just an opportunity for Cousins to resume a career blighted by drug addiction. It is a chance to repay football itself.

Ben Cousins has never apologised publicly for his drug taking and he's now deep into apology time-on.

Playing for Richmond would give him a public role as someone who has proved you can kick drugs.

There would be no better example to young kids in danger of being drawn into this destructive culture.

Telling kids he has been an idiot would be a start.

Regaining his football skills at the game's elite level would demonstrate that life is better when you're clean.

Ben Cousins needs to turn his back on drug dealers and attending funerals with gangsters.

Former Richmond champion Kevin Sheedy is back at Tigerland and ready to help a troubled player find his way back from football oblivion.

Cousins needs to grab this opportunity with both hands if Richmond decides to take a punt on him next Tuesday.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24786942-24218,00.html

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #407 on: December 12, 2008, 06:19:29 PM »
Better off here this post I think:

Well what do we do as supporters, I was dead against Cousins coming to the Tigers but I have always said that as a LOYAL, get that people LOYAL supporter I will back every player that pulls on the yellow and black and every decision the club makes. The club is not stupid and from what I have read this bloke really wants to play the game he loves. Everyone should be given a second chance although Ben did have a few more than others.

He has a lot of people backing him and and if he stuffs this up he will lose all respect with a hell of a lot of people in the football world.

If you come to the RFC Ben I will be backing you in 100% mate and if you dont I wish you all the best in whatever you decide to do.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #408 on: December 12, 2008, 06:48:25 PM »
Worst case scenario Cousins fails a drug test and he's gone whether in January, Round 1 or Round 20
Tigers lose Cousins(goes on long term injury list just like polak would - elavate rookie) because his hammies can no longEr stand the rigors of footy with him out of the game for 18 months come next March. Rookie could be another Foley or Thursfield.
Next case He plays only round 1 Cousins v Judd Sell out = stacks of money gamble pays off b/c of the extra $$$ memberships plus all this media focus gets a major sponsor on board because Cousins in the news. Best case he plays over 11 games and he's back to some sort of form. Either way we can't lose. He'll come cheap and if the venture fails we won't be the ones that look bad after all we gave a bloke an opportunity to redeem himself and he failed by not adhering to the rules not us.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #409 on: December 12, 2008, 10:17:59 PM »
Worst case scenario Cousins fails a drug test and he's gone whether in January, Round 1 or Round 20
Tigers lose Cousins(goes on long term injury list just like polak would - elavate rookie) because his hammies can no longEr stand the rigors of footy with him out of the game for 18 months come next March. Rookie could be another Foley or Thursfield.
Next case He plays only round 1 Cousins v Judd Sell out = stacks of money gamble pays off b/c of the extra $$$ memberships plus all this media focus gets a major sponsor on board because Cousins in the news. Best case he plays over 11 games and he's back to some sort of form. Either way we can't lose. He'll come cheap and if the venture fails we won't be the ones that look bad after all we gave a bloke an opportunity to redeem himself and he failed by not adhering to the rules not us.

I agree with all of this TB except for the bit "Either way we can't lose".  What if he drags one or a couple of of our kids down the path he walks?  That is my concern.

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #410 on: December 12, 2008, 10:29:31 PM »
I agee with all of this TB except for the bit "Either way we can't lose".  What if he drags one or a couple of of our kids down the path he walks?  That is my concern.

Yes, this is the potential problem.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #411 on: December 13, 2008, 12:00:19 AM »
I wonder if our cubs will start eating salad if Cuz orders salad  :lol.

IMO it comes down to the leadership at the club. If it's solid, honest, upfront and respected as we are told then our cubs will be okay. They are united bunch anyway. Cousins won't be the leader or even spiritual leader that he was at the Eagles and this isn't his second chance either. That was what the problem was at the Eagles. They let him and others have second, third, fourth, .... chances by turning a blind eye. At Punt Rd he'll be thoroughly tested to the extreme by AFL testers and if there's one stuff up he'll be so fast out the door it won't have time to whack him on the butt. Don't forget either Benny isn't the only AFL footballer with a drug problem either. At least in his case we know about it.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #412 on: December 13, 2008, 12:15:32 AM »

IMO it comes down to the leadership at the club. If it's solid, honest, upfront and respected as we are told then our cubs will be okay. They are united bunch anyway. Cousins won't be the leader or even spiritual leader that he was at the Eagles and this isn't his second chance either. That was what the problem was at the Eagles. They let him and others have second, third, fourth, .... chances by turning a blind eye. At Punt Rd he'll be thoroughly tested to the extreme by AFL testers and if there's one stuff up he'll be so fast out the door it won't have time to whack him on the butt. Don't forget either Benny isn't the only AFL footballer with a drug problem either. At least in his case we know about it.

Don't forget also that drug addicts don't follow the conventional path of logic and decision making that most others do.  Just because he will be on his on his umpteenth chance and will be tested every whatever day doesn't actually mean squat.  If he isn't rehabilitated then the risk of him influencing others, especially young kids, is very high, regardless of how you want to paint the image of mentors, club culture, leadership etc in your mind.  Our modern world is full of kids from the most impeccable upbringing falling prey to the lure of drugs and the last ones to realise and/or acknowledge it are very often those closest.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #413 on: December 13, 2008, 12:28:06 AM »

Don't forget also that drug addicts don't follow the conventional path of logic and decision making that most others do.  Just because he will be on his on his umpteenth chance and will be tested every whatever day doesn't actually mean squat.  If he isn't rehabilitated then the risk of him influencing others, especially young kids, is very high, regardless of how you want to paint the image of mentors, club culture, leadership etc in your mind.  Our modern world is full of kids from the most impeccable upbringing falling prey to the lure of drugs and the last ones to realise and/or acknowledge it are very often those closest.
True smokey but young kids aren't required to give 4 urine tests and a hair test every week plus have every nosey journo who hide in rubbish bins like Hutchy following them around 24/7 hoping they exclusively screw up to bag the story of the year, for parents and teachers to find out. Sure there are no guarantees but Cousins' life will become the closest thing to the Truman Show.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #414 on: December 13, 2008, 11:48:45 AM »
Bring on the Benny Show.

i was dead against this guy coming to punt Road. i am the first to admit it.

But stuff it with a pick 7, an extra pick to use on him what have we got to lose. SFA.

If it works great, if it doesn't, well then for once i wont blame TW because for the first time they are thinking outside the square. If it was Sheeds, March or TW at the end of the day, who cares they are trying to get us back up there not sit back and wait for your dud JON types to get us a flag.

This angle we are taking which some see(pies) as being outside the rules, is a step in the right direction to us becoming a feared team out there.

the only question i have is the Blues were in the same boat this time last year, in the off season with all the hype surrounding Judd and they crashed Round 1.

Lets hope we dont suffer the same fate
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Hes My Hero

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #415 on: December 13, 2008, 01:07:06 PM »
Wouldn't it be hilarious if the AFL approve the Polak request, and we receive a 2nd pick in the PSD.
Then just to stick it up the likes of Eddy and co, we take Ben with pick 6 and a kid with pick 7.
LOL ! That would be a classic !

bushranger

« Reply #416 on: December 13, 2008, 01:52:48 PM »
On other forums the people there are starting to crack it against us.
They all know that we will be a force and this is scaring them.
And they also are saying that the Ramma rule is wrong for us to be using because what Polak has isn't life threatening.
And you go it Collingwood supporters are the bigger mouths asainst it.
Telling us that we shouldn't be doing it. Just because we thought of it and now they are dirty on us.
Well lets nope we get him through Polak and then we can rub it in their faces.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #417 on: December 13, 2008, 09:00:07 PM »
Wouldn't it be hilarious if the AFL approve the Polak request, and we receive a 2nd pick in the PSD.
Then just to stick it up the likes of Eddy and co, we take Ben with pick 6 and a kid with pick 7.
lol

The thing is us picking up Cousins with pick 7 won't affect the other clubs on Tuesday. It is not like we are taking an extra kid who other clubs would want in the rookie draft. All that will happen is we use pick 6 on who we were going to take anyway and then we get Cousins (who none of the other 15 clubs wanted) in place of Polak. Polak going onto the rookie list means we will only have 4 rookie picks. So it's not like we will have an extra player on our list. We'll have 46 players like everyone else.

bushranger

« Reply #418 on: December 13, 2008, 09:09:36 PM »
I reckon you will find that all the teams against but will not admit to it.
Wll be hoping that he will last till they get to pick. And they will take him from under us.
I could be wrong but all those barking are the ones that want him I think.
Roll on Monday.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #419 on: December 13, 2008, 11:11:50 PM »

if we do that i will support TW for the rest of my life

please make it happen
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.