Author Topic: BEN COUSINS [merged]  (Read 215780 times)

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
Re: BEN COUSINS [merged]
« Reply #450 on: December 16, 2008, 02:09:38 PM »
Well the one thing we have on our side is that Ben has a lot more to lose than we do. If he is serious about all of this then I'm sure he will pull out all the stops in an effort to remain squeaky! (My God I sound like Danny Frawley!! ARRRGGHHH!!!)

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #451 on: December 16, 2008, 02:21:57 PM »
Welcome Ben!  :thumbsup Hope you stick it to Eddie & Co when the time comes!!

So what happens with Polly now? Are we able to Rookie him and immediately elevate a Rookie? If so, who do we elevate?
Apologies in advance if this has already been answered. 

bushranger

« Reply #452 on: December 16, 2008, 02:32:52 PM »
Well the one thing we have on our side is that Ben has a lot more to lose than we do. If he is serious about all of this then I'm sure he will pull out all the stops in an effort to remain squeaky! (My God I sound like Danny Frawley!! ARRRGGHHH!!!)
I agree.
And one foot wrong and he'll be out the door before his feet touch the ground.
I think he now has to prove to himself that he can do it that he'll prove to the AFL that all the teams that rejected him.
Just how foolish they were. He will make good I have only a little doubt about that.
And I'm happy he is with us, as I have warmed to it now.
He will have his load of knockers as we will for taking him on. But he will prove he was a worth while investment.
And at the end of this we will say now just who was the foolish ones. And we can say not us.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #453 on: December 16, 2008, 02:54:36 PM »
They've already added Cuz to the playing list on the RFC site.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/Players/tabid/7689/default.aspx

DOB: 30/6/78
Hgt: 179cm
Wgt: 87kg

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #454 on: December 16, 2008, 02:57:39 PM »
Inspirational Cuz over the moon
By Jennifer Witham
Tue 16 December, 2008

BEN Cousins’ manager Ricky Nixon says the decision by Richmond to draft the wayward star has proven to be an inspiration for people fighting drug addiction.

“I’ve had a hell of a lot of people who have been in a people who have been in a similar situation with children,” Nixon said.

“Two people just stopped me at lunch then to say ‘it has been a fantastic result, we’ve been in the same position and it has been very difficult to get our son and daughter up and motivated again,’. This is inspirational to them that Ben has got back and we all hope he can keep going.”

Nixon, who has been Cousins’ spokesman as he searched for new club, said his client was in a sound state of mind and was looking forward to tackling the new phase of his career.

“He’s very excited. After yesterday afternoon it looked pretty doubtful. He’s over the moon and he’s had the best three weeks in the last year or two. He’s really on the upward spiral,” he said.

“The St Kilda decision (not to draft Cousins) was very disappointing and the big change with the way he’s been going was the way he rebounded after that. He was fantastic and I think that helped Richmond’s decision.

"He was very positive and presented himself well last week with the Richmond coach and president. I must say Richmond have been fantastic in all of this. It shows a good club on the way up.”

Nixon said Cousins had been unfairly maligned since announcing his drug addiction and since leaving West Coast at the end of 2007.

“What people don’t understand when they write opinion pieces … is the pyramid effect. At the top of the pyramid is Ben, but underneath is the family and friends and everyone associated with him that it affects when there is a negative comment,” Nixon said.

“At the end of the day there are a lot of high-profile celebrities who have been drug addicts. Everyone’s quite happy for them to play in rock'n'roll bands and be movie stars but for some reason we want to shoot sportsmen down.”

Confirmation of Cousins' selection was also praised by the AFL Players' Association, which has been a vocal supporter of his comeback.

"We are greatly encouraged by this news and offer our congratulations and support to Ben and his family," chief executive Brendon Gale said in a statement.

"Ben has demonstrated great personal responsibility over the past 12 months in his efforts towards rehabilitation

"There will no doubt be a number of challenges ahead, but we are of the view that these challenges are not insurmountable and with support, Ben can return to doing what he does best – playing AFL football at the elite level."

http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=70885

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #455 on: December 16, 2008, 03:07:28 PM »
They've already added Cuz to the playing list on the RFC site.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/Players/tabid/7689/default.aspx

DOB: 30/6/78
Hgt: 179cm
Wgt: 87kg
Ramps, what do you think of this new recruit? He's a bit short as a rule for AFL standards but the weight appears right. Who knows he may have a good future ahead of him with the RFC. Some people in the know have touted him as a possible future brownlow contender but I think a wait and see approach may be best in this situation. Maybe a season or two at Coburg and a growth spurt may be all that is needed to make him a future star!!  :lol

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #456 on: December 16, 2008, 03:19:59 PM »
Punt Road session for Cousins tomorrow
By Mic Cullen
Tue 16 December, 2008

HIGHLY-decorated pre-season draftee Ben Cousins is expected to arrive in Melbourne in time for his first training session with Richmond on Wednesday.

It is understood the 2005 Brownlow Medallist took an early flight out of Perth on Tuesday morning after finding out that the Tigers had selected him with its No.6 pick in the NAB AFL Pre-Season Draft.

http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=70872

The media have journos at Tulla and at Perth airport on Cuz watch  :wallywink.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #457 on: December 16, 2008, 03:39:02 PM »
He's due in after 7.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

bushranger

« Reply #458 on: December 16, 2008, 03:43:50 PM »
It came as no big suprise to me. I had a feeling we would take him after all the work we done in the preseeding days to this.
And I thought for them to let all that hard work just drop off would be a little hard to explain.
I'm now happy with the idea, but wasn't when it was first floated about. But I have grown use to the idea of Ben with us.
And I for one would love to be there to watch him run out on to the feild in game one and run the Calton Blues into the ground.
So now I'm a full supported of this. So well done to those in charge.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #459 on: December 16, 2008, 04:08:48 PM »
My wife works for virgin at the airport, she just landed in from perth and she said camera crew thought he was on her flight and they are surrounding every flight that comes in from Perth.

Great press for our club.

Sponsors feel free to jump on any time now wont you.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

bushranger

« Reply #460 on: December 16, 2008, 04:11:42 PM »
I would laugh if he goes to Avalon Airport then drives in with someone from the club and backdoor them all.
Now I would love to see that.

Offline Rowdy

• Tiger Rookie
« Reply #461 on: December 16, 2008, 04:17:23 PM »
I would laugh if he goes to Avalon Airport then drives in with someone from the club and backdoor them all.

You would not see it because all the media is at Tulla. :santa

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #462 on: December 16, 2008, 04:19:24 PM »

Latest news.

Just heard it on the Tobin Brothers

Benny has just landed at Moorabbin Airport

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #463 on: December 16, 2008, 04:35:16 PM »
We've come in $8 with the bookies for the 2009 flag thanks to Cousins. Tigers at $26.

http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/bookies-slash-tigers-premiership-odds-20081216-6zja.html?page=-1

Offline Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes I was realy born in Richmond
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
« Reply #464 on: December 16, 2008, 04:54:38 PM »
Its going to make the off season interesting now as the competetion for midfield spots is going to be fierce. Its sort of makes the picking up of Thompson and Hislop a bit strange as its even harder to fit them into the team now. Might be interesting to do a review of the numbers of midlfiled type spots in the 22 and see who would be the top 10 or 12 (or what ever it is) to fill them.

Anyway fun times ahead and I cant wait.
Here , kitty kitty. Here , kitty kitty.   AAAUGH!