Author Topic: BEN COUSINS [merged]  (Read 215818 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: BEN COUSINS [merged]
« Reply #765 on: May 31, 2009, 06:08:16 PM »
Cousins to explain rude gesture
richmondfc.com.au
By Pat Devery 11:59 AM Sun 31 May, 2009

RICHMOND star Ben Cousins may have celebrated a thrilling victory over Fremantle with his teammates on Saturday night, but it is his pre-game antics that have attracted the wrong kind of attention from the AFL.

Cousins made a rude gesture with his finger to the cameras set up in Subiaco Oval’s changerooms prior to the match.

The gesture was later broadcast to a national audience on Channel Ten, which was covering the game.

AFL boss Andrew Demetriou was distinctly unimpressed with Cousins’ actions.

“I thought it was pretty ordinary to be quite honest,” he said on the ABC’s Offsiders program on Sunday morning.

“It was going across the nation. Everyone knows the cameras are there – I’m not quite sure what went through his mind.”

Demetriou agreed that the gesture could be seen as contemptuous to those who had supported Cousins in his comeback to football and rehabilitation from drug addiction.

But the AFL CEO said the matter was not one for the match review panel as it had occurred off-field.

“He’ll get a please explain tomorrow, I’m sure”, Demetriou said.  “If I was him, I’d start to think about apologising pretty soon.

“It was totally unnecessary, unwarranted. It didn’t make any sense ... I don’t think we want any players doing that sort of thing, let alone Ben Cousins.”

Demetriou also confirmed that the AFL’s racial and religious vilification policy was being extended to disabilities and sexual orientation.

“We’re living in an age now where those things are unacceptable”, he said.

“We’re a mature society ... and I hope nobody in society is criticised or ridiculed based on their sexual orientation, their ethnicity, their background. We live in a very multicultural, diverse community which we should all be very grateful for.

“Everybody is entitled to respect and there’s no place for that sort of attitude in our game or our society.”

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/77908/default.aspx

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #766 on: May 31, 2009, 07:26:52 PM »
90 minutes before the match - They had to show it of course, give me a break and who cares!

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #767 on: May 31, 2009, 09:47:01 PM »
Ben Cousins is a CHAMPION

Nuff said really
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline TigerTime

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #768 on: May 31, 2009, 09:54:42 PM »
Ben Cousins is a CHAMPION

Nuff said really

he is the champion of champions  :bow :bow :bow :bow

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #769 on: May 31, 2009, 10:05:00 PM »
He has to stay in 2010

His experience, skill and above all else leadership cannot be ignored and is just so desperately needed by our young blokes

Re-sign him NOW  :pray

Seriously ;) ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #770 on: June 01, 2009, 06:27:49 AM »
Cousins apologises for one-finger salute
Cameron Noakes | June 1, 2009

AS BEN Cousins continues to promote his bad-boy image by use of a one-finger salute to a camera in the Subiaco change rooms on Saturday night, the AFL has demanded the Richmond midfielder and recovering drug addict explain himself.

AFL boss Andrew Demetriou believes Cousin's gesture is a slap in the face to the game, his new club and all the people that have afforded him good faith and helped him return to AFL football.

Richmond last night released a statement from Cousins: "It was never my intention to cause any offence.

"However, I appreciate that my actions could have caused offence to some people, and for that I apologise."

Cousins flipped the bird to a fixed camera in the change rooms before Richmond's three-point win over Fremantle and although it was not a broadcast camera it was still picked up by Channel Ten and shown on national television.

Richmond assistant coach David King yesterday described the incident as disappointing and predicted it would cost Cousins a substantial fine.

Demetriou said it didn't matter what camera Cousins gave the finger to, it was "totally unnecessary".

"I thought it was pretty ordinary, to be quite honest. I don't think it matters that it wasn't done to the crowd, it was going across the nation," Demetriou said on ABC's Offsiders program.

"I'm not sure what quite went through his mind. He'll get a 'please explain' (today)."

Demetriou said the AFL would seek an explanation as the incident could not be handled by the match review panel because it was an off-field incident.

Demetriou said the gesture seemed contemptuous and it was "totally unnecessary, unwarranted and it didn't make any sense".

"People watching, particularly children, would ask … What was that all about?" Demetriou said. "I just don't think we want any players doing that sort of thing, let alone Ben Cousins."

King said Cousins' action was "a lapse in concentration". King told 3AW: "It was an inappropriate gesture, no doubt — a real lapse from Ben because he's been so good for the previous six months.

"It is going to cost him dearly. We're disappointed with it."

It was the first time the former West Coast star had played in Perth since he was sacked from his club and banned from the competition in 2007 after admitting to drug abuse.

The one-finger salute took some of the gloss off Richmond's thrilling win, which has seemingly secured coach Terry Wallace's job for at least another week.

Wallace, who is in the final year of his five-year contract with the club and has already confirmed he won't be coaching next year, said his job continued to be assessed on a week-by-week basis.

"I'm hoping to be there (coaching) next week against my old team the Bulldogs," he said.

He dismissed suggestions that his health was suffering due to the stress of the job.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/afl-to-cousins-please-explain/2009/05/31/1243708351334.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #771 on: June 01, 2009, 06:30:03 AM »
It was all in fun: Ben Cousins
Ben Cousins
June 01, 2009

EXCLUSIVE: I'VE done enough pre-scripted apologies to last a lifetime. This isn't going to be one of them.

The footage of me raising the finger at the change room camera was filmed an hour and three quarters before the game.

I wasn't angry. I wasn't frustrated. It wasn't a message to the world.

In no way did I think the footage was going to air. If nothing else, I thought someone on the end of the camera in a van outside the ground might have got a chuckle out of it.

Obviously others saw it differently.

With the scrutiny on footballers, in particular on myself brought on by myself, I think I've always handled myself pretty well in the media.

On the flip side, sometimes I've thought they overstepped the mark in regards to being intrusive.

But I accept that's the nature of football and my situation.

So, I would like to think people would take the gesture in the light-hearted manner of which I did it.

I wasn't smiling, I know that, but it was a form of acting. A bit of fun that some people have taken out of context.

After the game, as emotions spilled over in the rooms, football manager Craig Cameron told me the footage had been shown by Channel 10.

It went in one ear and out the other because, really, the Tigers have been under enormous pressure internally and externally and that moment was not the time to discuss the pros and cons of a joke that might have backfired.

To everyone, I would like to say: let's not get too precious.

There is a recession going on, people are under enormous pressure to pay off mortgages and, indeed, are losing jobs.

If people are upset or concerned about what I did, then I wonder where we are headed as a society.

Fair dinkum, I had a bit of fun.

In fact, I've done that gesture to the change rooms cameras about a half a dozen times in my career. It's just tongue in cheek, a sort of "Hello mate" to the poor bugger in the mini-van.

To be honest, I was surprised it went to air. Maybe it was a little naive on my behalf considering my situation.

But I expected the "van man" to laugh and move on, not alert everyone at the channel.

Within our family we all do it to each other as a joke gesture. I've even seen my grandmother do it.

I saw a fair bit of it as the game unfolded on Saturday night.

I really enjoyed going back to Subiaco. I've played plenty of football there, have some unbelievably great memories, and the average person in the street has been fantastic to me.

But let me tell you I copped a fair bit from over the fence on Saturday night, far and above my little gesture. And I took it in the spirit it was given.

We, as players, know it is part of football and I don't expect any apologies from any of those people.

Now, to Terry Wallace and the guys. First and foremost I was rapt for Terry in his 500th game as a player and coach.

To be the only coach to stick his neck out and give me an opportunity, I have nothing but utmost respect for him.

Regardless of his precarious situation, I think it's important people remember his contribution to the game.

His resilience in recent times in the face of overwhelming pressure has been fantastic and I have admired the upbeat nature he has brought to training and to coaching.

I am one person who can empathise with him regarding the media scrutiny he's been under and I think he's handled it with dignity.

At the siren, I don't know if I sought him out or vice versa, but we met up on the ground. It was my first victory and obviously one that Terry would cherish.

It's been close to 18 months since I was involved in a winning game of football, and when you come to a new club all you want to do is succeed.

As I've said many times, winning is not everything, it is the only thing.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25566149-661,00.html

Moi

« Reply #772 on: June 01, 2009, 06:33:21 AM »
I don't think it matters that it wasn't done to the crowd, it was going across the nation,
I suggest he has a talk to one of the AFL's broadcasters who decided in all "wisdom" to show it   ::)

Online Muscles

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #773 on: June 01, 2009, 09:42:07 AM »
But the point was that it was not live-to-air.  It was 90 minutes before the game and Channel 10 wasn't even on air yet.  The producer of the show made a choice to show it.  If the AFL needs to send a please explain to anyone, it is the producer of the show.

Offline TigerTime

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #774 on: June 01, 2009, 09:46:21 AM »
patricia smith wants cuz suspended for a week ::)

if this happens, i would wanna see every tiger player, coach , trainer medical staff and board member on the ground befor the game starts on friday night, stand side by side infront of the tv broadcasting box and in one motion all give the birdie to show support for the cuz, that is if he does get severely punished

Tigermonk

« Reply #775 on: June 01, 2009, 09:48:55 AM »
Media are Vultures,  Good way to pay the media back is to have a Dont buy a newspaper day
can you imagine the hurt that would create to the media gaints & the industry
Then we should go send all the gutless greenies to go stand at the gates of Channel 10 & do something useful protesting thier how the media thrive off making money & causing misery to thier victims  ;D

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #776 on: June 01, 2009, 09:51:37 AM »
the finger just adds to the legend

It will cost him $900 and he has been on the front page of the papers nationally for the past couple of days.

Importantly he backed up the finger with a great performance.

Said it before this bloke is a champion, agree with Willy should be reisgned if he can play out the year withoiut any more hamstring problems

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #777 on: June 01, 2009, 11:00:34 AM »
"Finger gate" proves once again that Cuz is own worst enemy.

Moving on....The biggest compliment you can pay Cuz is that we look a 3-4 goal better team when he is playing.

Unleash the tornado

bushranger

« Reply #778 on: June 01, 2009, 11:53:38 AM »
This was death by media.
They didn't have to show it but they needed a story.
They now should be held accountable for showing it.
What a mob of dead beats for showing it.
Now I bet you all the money you want that they all have done the same thing.
And the ones they showed were done ion the feild of play.
This was behind closed doors and should have never been shown.
Two seperate cases all together, but they (media) knew it would make a story.
Cause they can't even commentate a game right. Effen dead beats. :wallywink :wallywink :wallywink

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #779 on: June 01, 2009, 04:22:55 PM »
Cuz to face leadership group over rude gesture
richmondfc.com.au
By Jennifer Witham 3:00 PM Mon 01 June, 2009

THE RICHMOND leadership group will meet with teammate Ben Cousins this week to discuss a suitable punishment for the obscene gesture he made to a match-day camera before Saturday night's clash with Fremantle at Subiaco.

Cousins, 30, gave the mounted camera a one-fingered salute right before the Channel 10 game. The footage was shown after the game, and has been talked about extensively since.

Richmond general manager of football operations Craig Cameron said once the dust had settled on coach Terry Wallace's Monday resignation, Cousins would be dealt with.

"I spoke to the leadership group this morning and we'll all sit down and have a chat with Ben and deal with it in the appropriate manner," he said at the press conference that saw Wallace officially step down as coach.

"You can rest assured we're actually going to deal with the process."

Earlier on Monday, Cousins told Melbourne radio his gesture was not meant to offend anyone.

"I'd just arrived at the ground," he told Nova 100.

"One of the cameramen is a mate of mine … I thought on the off chance he might've been sitting in the van, he might've got a giggle out of it."

On Sunday, league boss Andrew Demetriou expressed his disappointment over the incident, and didn't rule out an AFL sanction.

"He'll get a please explain tomorrow, I'm sure," Demetriou said on ABC radio.

"If I was him, I'd start to think about apologising pretty soon.

"It was totally unnecessary, unwarranted. It didn't make any sense ... I don't think we want any players doing that sort of thing, let alone Ben Cousins."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/77982/default.aspx