Author Topic: Trent Cotchin [merged]  (Read 400366 times)

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
Re: Trent Cotchin [merged]
« Reply #2400 on: June 27, 2021, 11:29:05 AM »
signs have not been good for a fair while now, hate to criticise this bloke because hes one who has been great for us for a long time.
Unfortunately father time catches up with everyone and last night was about the worst ive seen the captain.
Have you forgotten 2015 elimination final?
9 disposals.  :rollin
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2401 on: July 01, 2021, 08:18:42 PM »
Father Time has caught him and punched him in the face.

A shadow of the player he was.

Well done Cap you will always be our hero and thanks for the memories.

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2402 on: July 01, 2021, 08:26:28 PM »
Father Time has caught him and punched him in the face.

A shadow of the player he was.

Well done Cap you will always be our hero and thanks for the memories.

Yes looks like it's time

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #2403 on: July 01, 2021, 08:38:38 PM »
Yeah until then can we get him away the stuff from the centre bounces - hide him in the forward pocket or something - and get RCD, Bolton, Pickett & Graham running through there......because Touk-Miller's just running through him... :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #2404 on: July 01, 2021, 10:33:03 PM »
Will always be our hero Cotch. I don't know if it's time but agree with having him at forward instead at CB cause we keep getting belted.
Go Tigers!

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2405 on: July 01, 2021, 10:35:38 PM »
Will always be our hero Cotch. I don't know if it's time but agree with having him at forward instead at CB cause we keep getting belted.

Yes needs to be removed from the middle. Not sure i would play him forward though as he can't kick over 30 meters. Where does he play to best help the team?

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #2406 on: July 01, 2021, 11:10:46 PM »
It’s time for this legend to hang them up.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2407 on: July 02, 2021, 12:06:31 AM »

Yes needs to be removed from the middle. Not sure i would play him forward though as he can't kick over 30 meters. Where does he play to best help the team?
reserves as development coach.  :shh

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #2408 on: July 02, 2021, 12:17:51 AM »
The club has to keep Cotch is some role, as his playing role. Absolute legend of the club.
Go Tigers!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2409 on: July 12, 2021, 04:19:31 AM »
Dimma's comments about Cotch post-game:

The triple premiership coach also defended his captain Cotchin, who had just 13 disposals against the Magpies, conceding he doesn’t suit the modern game in his current role.

“I’d love to manage him, to be honest,” Hardwick said.

“He’s a battering ram. He’s played like that for 15 years at the highest level. The game has changed, there’s no doubt about that. It is more uncontested marks, we’re seeing a lot of it at the moment.

“There’s not a lot of stoppage, contest-type things that are his strengths.

“We sort of have spoken about moving into a different position, but we need him to play midfield at the moment.”

But Hardwick said Cotchin’s ability to guide youngsters like Thomson Dow and Riley Collier-Dawkins was invaluable.

“People look at the stats sheet, but what Trent brings you can’t measure.”

Source: Foxsports & The Age.

Offline Martin

• Tiger Rookie
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2410 on: July 12, 2021, 10:50:31 AM »
Sadly his time has come quickly. We now have a body of work that shows he's too slow, can't kick any more and even his decision making is impacted by his lack of speed. He was a liability in the middle yesterday. He's had breaks (through injury) this year so shouldn't be tired and this season has not been able to run out games.
Thanks for the memories, thanks for your leadership and thanks for the legacy, time to sit in the stands with the rest of us and watch us regenerate.

Online JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2411 on: July 12, 2021, 11:39:44 AM »
Unfortunately Dimma is right when he says the game doesn't suit players like Cotch anymore.  The chip, chip, chip, uncontested style of play with few stoppages is the death of a contest animal like Cotchin!  It has never been our style either & probably never will. 
I would've loved to see Cotch turn into a gritty back pocket player who would lock down on an opponent & slowly destroy them, but I think it is too late for that now.  The chipping uncontested game will always expose a player a player who is slow out of the blocks.  Sides like Hawthorn & Collingwood love that style because they can exploit sides that rely on winning contests. 
There's nothing new about the uncontested style of play, I hate it now just like I did in the 60's & 70's, its the style of a side who can't win a hard kick or take a contested mark! 
It's S-Hocking 101 ....     :-\     
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2412 on: July 12, 2021, 01:00:49 PM »
Its probably too late to try him at HBF now.

Should have retired a victorious captain last year unfortunately.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2413 on: July 12, 2021, 02:30:01 PM »
His legacy is still enormous for me even though 2021 isn’t bringing the joys of the 2020 season. I’ll always remember Cotchin as the silky 2012 Brownlow winner who redefined himself as a hard “I’m tackling Mumford come with boys” leader of this great club.

His Pep talk to Rance when he was getting tagged in the port game in 2017 has forever been burned in my brain and for me embodies how good of a captain he is.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Balme says Cotchin is not done yet (Age)
« Reply #2414 on: July 13, 2021, 02:17:59 AM »
Balme says Cotchin is not done yet

Jon Pierik
The Age
July 13, 2021

Trent Cotchin will discuss his future with Richmond at the end of the season, but the club’s senior advisor Neil Balme says the Tigers want the three-time premiership captain to play on.

“There has been no suggestion that he won’t [go on],” Balme said of the 263-game veteran and 2012 Brownlow medallist.

“We are not suggesting that he should [retire], but everything is judged on its own at the end of the season.

“He will sit down at the end of the year and work out what he wants to do but we are keen for him to go on. We love what he is like around the place. He is almost a bit like Jack [Riewoldt] - an extra coach in a way to help out players, to point them in the right direction.”

The spotlight has been on Cotchin, with the three-time premiership skipper having struggled to have a consistent impact over the past month, including picking up only 12 disposals in the loss to West Coast and 13 against Collingwood on Sunday.

“He has been a bit sore. That’s inevitable. We have just got such a young midfield around him,” Balme said.

“A lot of the work he normally does, we are not taking advantage of it because it’s just the way it is. “That might be taking the pressure off him ... but he competes so hard, he does the hard work in and under, and he makes a lot of stuff happen.

“Sure, we would like him to play better and have more impact … but I think he is doing the right stuff. His leadership is wonderful in terms of showing the kids the way. We are not that fussed about it at this stage.”

Tigers chief executive Brendon Gale said the club could not afford to rest the skipper, given their long injury list.

“He is not at the level he would like to be and [coach] Damien [Hardwick] is right, we would like to manage him ideally but we simply can’t,” Gale said.

Cotchin, 31 and now in his 14th season, having been taken with pick No.2 behind Matthew Kreuzer in the 2007 national draft, is contracted until the end of next season.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/balme-says-cotchin-like-the-tiger-dynasty-is-not-done-yet-20210712-p588tq.html