Author Topic: Trent Cotchin [merged]  (Read 395820 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Trent Cotchin urged by Kane Cornes to consider retirement (Nine)
« Reply #2415 on: July 13, 2021, 02:32:00 AM »
Watch here: https://twitter.com/FootyonNine/status/1414552294058770432

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Trent Cotchin urged to consider retirement

By Chris De Silva
Nine
13 July 2021

Port Adelaide great Kane Cornes has urged Richmond skipper Trent Cotchin to consider retiring, saying that it looks as if the fast-paced game has "passed [him] by".

Cotchin's form has become a hot topic with the reigning premiers currently sitting 12th on the ladder after suffering a fourth consecutive loss in Round 17.

The 31-year-old managed just 13 disposals in the 16-point loss to Collingwood, and is averaging just 18.8 touches per game, his lowest in a season with 20-minute quarters since his second year in 2009.

Cotchin is contracted through to the end of the 2022 season, but Cornes suggested that the 263-game veteran should consider hanging up the boots this year, despite leading the Tigers to a premiership just 12 months earlier.

"We're searching for places to hide him," he told Nine's Footy Classified.

"Sometimes the game just passes you by, everyone's career comes [to an end]. Look at the way he is playing.

"I don't know why it's too strong to say that at some point, at 31 with repeated soft-tissue injuries, [he is] not influencing games, the game is getting harder, interchanges are coming down, that the game passes you by. That's what I'm seeing from Trent."

Cornes' comments came after Richmond coach Damien Hardwick admitted that the Tigers had undertaken conversations around where the skipper could be best utilised due to a lower number of stoppages this season.

"I'd love to manage him, to be honest," he said.

"He's a battering ram. He's played like that for 15 years at the highest level. The game has changed, there's no doubt about that. It is more uncontested marks, we're seeing a lot of it at the moment.

"There's not a lot of stoppage, contest-type things that are his strengths.

"We sort of have spoken about moving into a different position, but we need him to play midfield at the moment."

https://wwos.nine.com.au/afl/trent-cotchin-urged-to-consider-retiring-richmond-tigers-news-kane-cornes/e14fc4b4-3599-4b6c-8f37-9d7735927493

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Trent Cotchin [merged]
« Reply #2416 on: July 13, 2021, 07:53:02 AM »
Surprised Cotchin is contracted until the end of 2022 myself.

I hope he hangs them up but sticks around in some capacity.

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Trent Cotchin urged by Kane Cornes to consider retirement (Nine)
« Reply #2417 on: July 13, 2021, 08:24:58 AM »
Cotchin is contracted through to the end of the 2022 season, but Cornes suggested that the 263-game veteran should consider hanging up the boots this year, despite leading the Tigers to a premiership just 12 months earlier.

"We're searching for places to hide him," he told Nine's Footy Classified.

Whats cornwit got to do with positional selection

Offline Buddysucks

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2418 on: July 13, 2021, 11:14:02 AM »
^^^ this is spot on. You’re not searching for anything except headlines Cornes.
No doubt Cotchin is struggling and I’ve been super critical of his impact in games this season, but our coaching staff isn’t doing him any favours playing him in centre square bounces these days.
Maybe it’s time for him to play as a permanent forward pocket, he’d make some small defenders look over their shoulder and compete when the ball hits the ground. Might not chase well but younger legs can do that.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #2419 on: July 13, 2021, 11:39:03 AM »

I'm not. He is 31. I don't think anyone quite expected the massive drop in performance so having a Brownlow medalist and premiership captain contracted until a season where he turns 32 isn't really mindboggling.

I hope he's carrying something because he deserves better than to go out this way
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2420 on: July 13, 2021, 11:51:53 AM »
Stopped reading that article above at the first 5 words. Too busy laughing @ the description Port Adelaide Great

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #2421 on: July 13, 2021, 12:29:49 PM »
Stopped reading that article above at the first 5 words. Too busy laughing @ the description Port Adelaide Great

He’s an absolute flog of the highest order, but also without doubt a Port Adelaide great

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Trent Cotchin has ‘earned the right’ to call time when he wants, says Jonathan Brown

Ben Waterworth
Fox Sports
July 13th, 2021 11:39 am

Trent Cotchin has “earned the right” to retire when he wants, according to Lions legend Jonathan Brown, amid suggestions Richmond is “searching for places to hide him”.

And while the three-time premiership Richmond skipper is struggling to recapture his best form — and has come under fire for his off-ball antics — the Richmond skipper isn’t “losing the plot” on the field, according to Herald Sun chief football writer Mark Robinson.

With his side’s flag hopes in tatters and its finals chances fading with every loss, Cotchin’s form and playing future has come under sharp focus.

The Brownlow Medallist this season is averaging 18.8 disposals, 9.4 contested possessions and 3.6 clearances – all his lowest tallies since 2009.

Tigers coach Damien Hardwick on Sunday said he’d “love to manage” Cotchin or move him to another position, but added the injury-ravaged Tigers needed their skipper to play in the midfield.

“He’s in a career slump … that just shows you what a champion and what a great player Trent Cotchin has been,” Robinson told AFL 360.

“Damien Hardwick spoke about ‘the game’s changed’ – I think he’s protecting his captain a little bit.

“Cotchin went to be a defensive midfielder and he had runners everywhere: (Kane) Lambert, (Dion) Prestia, (Dustin) Martin, Shane Edwards – they haven’t been playing. So he’s been thrust back into a freewheeling mid and it’s just not working.”

Cotchin in 2018 signed a contract extension that tied him to the Tigers until at least the end of 2022.

But Power premiership player Kane Cornes on Monday night suggested Cotchin was struggling to keep up with the pace and intensity of the modern game.

Asked if Cotchin should retire at season’s end, Cornes told Channel 9’s Footy Classified: “Yes.

“We’re searching for places to hide him.

“I don’t know why it’s too strong to say that at some point, at 31 with repeated soft-tissue injuries, not influencing games, the game’s getting harder, interchanges coming down, the game passes you by. That’s what I’m seeing from Trent at the moment.”

But Brown said Cotchin had “earned the right to decide when he finishes his career”.

“If he wants to continue playing next year, he’s earned that right and should go on play. I don’t think we should jump to conclusions too early,” Brown told Fox Footy.

Richmond football boss Neil Balme conceded Cotchin had “been a bit sore” of late, but said there’d been “no suggestion” from the captain he wouldn’t play on after this season.

“We are not suggesting that he should (retire), but everything is judged on its own at the end of the season,” Balme told The Age.

“He will sit down at the end of the year and work out what he wants to do but we are keen for him to go on. We love what he is like around the place. He is almost a bit like Jack (Riewoldt) — an extra coach in a way to help out players, to point them in the right direction.

“Sure, we would like him to play better and have more impact … but I think he is doing the right stuff. His leadership is wonderful in terms of showing the kids the way. We are not that fussed about it at this stage.”

Cotchin’s on-field demeanour has also been questioned during the Tigers’ recent losing streak. He was involved in several scuffles during the loss to St Kilda, prompting Brown to say, at the time, that Cotchin must “control his ego” and stop “trying too hard” to lead his team during off-ball niggle.

But Robinson said Cotchin’s actions were being misunderstood.

“Everyone’s talking about: ‘Should he go on? Should he be captain?’ He’s a pretty proud guy … he’s a street fighter when it comes to footy,” Robinson said.

“Everyone says ‘he’s losing the plot and he’d getting aggressive’ – no, that’s his competitiveness coming out in him. I think people are misreading that.

“But there’s a watch on Cotch, there’s a watch on Richmond, there’s watch on a lot of players at Richmond.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/richmond-tigers/afl-news-2021-trent-cotchin-richmond-contract-retirement-new-position-tigers-losing-streak/news-story/376a47ec2cc278cadfdd6b1d9bfbe0a4

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2423 on: July 13, 2021, 02:15:00 PM »

I'm not. He is 31. I don't think anyone quite expected the massive drop in performance so having a Brownlow medalist and premiership captain contracted until a season where he turns 32 isn't really mindboggling.

I hope he's carrying something because he deserves better than to go out this way

I said surprised, not mind boggled.

He has clearly been on the decline and struggling with soft tissue injuries the last 2-3 years. Shorter quarters and season in 2020 probably worked to his advantage.

In a situation like that you'd think a year-to-year contract is more ideal, sort of like Houli.

I want him to keep playing if his contribution is adequate. I'd hate to see him continue like he is and to be remembered for having played too long (amongst all the great things he's accomplished).

The two other examples for me are Grigg and Houli. Grigg called time quickly. Houli should not have played in the 2020 GF and should have retired after it. Even now he hasn't retired despite a likely season-ending ankle sprain. He has been poor and cost us some development opportunities with Mansell and maybe Stack. Different kettle of fish is Cotch and he has more right to decide for himself, but I still want him to retire before he is further off the cliff.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
FORM SLUMP OR END OF THE ROAD? LEPPITSCH ANALYSES TIGERS CAPTAIN COTCHIN

By Andrew Slevison
SEN
13 July 2021

In his 14th season with Richmond, there are signs creeping in that Trent Cotchin is beginning to slow down.

There are a number of things it could be - a lack of motivation after three flags in four seasons, years of combative footy catching up with him or simply just a form slump.

Cotchin, 31, had just 13 disposals in Sunday’s loss to Collingwood and is averaging below 19 touches per game in 2021.

Former Tigers assistant coach and three-time Brisbane flag winner Justin Leppitsch went through something similar to the triple premiership captain late in his own career.

Some believe Cotchin’s time has come while some believe he is in a chronic form slump that he will fight his way out of, but whatever it is, Leppitsch says it is understandable for the heart and soul Tiger to have feelings of contentment.

“It’s one of the two, isn’t it? It’s either just a form slump that he’ll get out of…,” he said on SEN’s Whateley.

“I guess (that’s) the big concern with anyone that’s filled their boots, so to speak, which Trent has. He’s been a premiership captain three times over the last four years.

“He’s done everything he probably wanted to achieve in the game. When that happens, I remember being there. I had a career-ending injury, but I had the option to fight it out and do the 12-month rehab. I went, ‘Nah, I’m done, I’m happy, I’m full’. You do get like that. I’m really happy with what my career had done.

“Only Trent knows if he’s having those thoughts, but they’re real. People actually have those thoughts, we all have them. We might go, ‘I want to leave and do another job. I’m tired of this right now’.

“He will be somewhere in that phase. It’s a really difficult job being captain of such a big footy club. The way he plays, he’s so combative and those type of players don’t last as long as your wiry types.

“There’s a possibility he might be thinking it’s enough, but only Trent would know.

“I don’t know. I haven’t spoken to Trent about it, but there is a chance.

“There’s probably more than just Trent on that list that might be thinking I’m happy, I’m done.

“Time will tell.”

Cotchin, who won the 2012 Brownlow Medal and has claimed three club best and fairests, has played 263 games for the Tigers and is contracted until the end of next season.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/07/13/form-slump-or-end-of-the-road-leppitsch-analyses-tigers-captain-cotchin/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2425 on: July 14, 2021, 03:47:06 PM »
Dimma today talking about Cotch:

* Trent Cotchin will play. What people don't realise is this guy has been a battering ram for 15 years of his career. There wouldn't be a harder player in the competition. Once again as I said, people are quick to jump on players. That's the Australian way at stages. This guy is an incredible player. Once again we're not a stats orientated footy club. We can have Trent having 35 disposals going backwards, sideways, etc ... but that's not how we play. He plays leading from the front and they way he goes about his actions. People will judge on him on his performance on the weekend. Yep, that's fine. Champions have bad days sometimes. But the reality is he is a very very good player in a very good side that isn't performing to level at this moment.

* He's had to play that role because our midfield has been undermanned really. He's in there at various stages on the weekend with RCD and Dow who have played 10 games between them. He's expected to lead but also teach and indicate at the same time. So it's a challenging aspect of his career at the moment with guys like Prestia, Lambert, Edwards and these types around him. Once again, he doesn't complain and he gets on with it and leads from the front. 

Source: RFC website

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2426 on: July 15, 2021, 03:05:52 PM »
WHY HAWKS CHAMPION SYMPATHISES WITH COTCHIN

By Alex Zaia
SEN
15 July 2021

Hawthorn champion Jordan Lewis sympathises with Richmond captain Trent Cotchin amid a “pile on” of criticism over his current form.

Cotchin’s struggles have coincided with the Tigers’ run of four straight defeats, with the 31-year-old midfielder averaging 16.5 disposals over the last month.

Last week’s loss to Collingwood saw Richmond drop to 12th on the ladder leaving their premiership defence hanging by a thread.

“I think at the moment, when you get to the back end of your career, and you play the type of footy that Trent individually plays, you’re so reliant on the team performing really well,” Lewis told SEN Breakfast.

“Because if you’re carrying an injury into the game and a lot of the parts of the team’s strengths are falling apart, you get exposed.

“The unfortunate thing I suppose for he and the Richmond Football Club at the moment is because they’ve got so many injuries, they don’t have the flexibility or the luxury to rest him, or they don’t have the wins on the board like they would in previous seasons to be able to rest players like that.

“I feel a little bit sorry for him in terms of the media scrutiny around his performance and Richmond’s performance at the moment.

“He’s had a bad six to seven weeks, that’s OK, he’s been a champion player for a long period of time, and I just think we’re too quick to jump on players that are down on form and maybe carrying a few injuries and the side’s down on form – everyone seems to pile on.

“I tend to feel sorry for him.”

The Brownlow Medallist and three-time premiership skipper is contracted to Richmond for another year.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/07/15/why-hawks-champion-sympathises-with-cotchin/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2427 on: July 17, 2021, 01:50:59 PM »
A better night for the captain.

22 disposals (11k, 11h, 6c, 17u, 63.6% eff.)
4 marks
5 tackles
3 clearances (2 centre clearances)
2 inside 50s
3 intercepts
5 score involvements
230m gained
78% time on ground.

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2428 on: July 17, 2021, 02:54:59 PM »
Best game in a longggggg time

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2429 on: July 17, 2021, 04:56:24 PM »
Proved all the pathetic sympathy wielding know all’s wrong. Still has a bit left in him
I do know without him we are missing a cog in the machine which raises the question who would replace him if he retires .