Author Topic: Trent Cotchin [merged]  (Read 402792 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Trent Cotchin [merged]
« Reply #105 on: May 17, 2008, 06:48:52 PM »
Arghhhh the future  :thumbsup

:gotigers

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #106 on: May 17, 2008, 07:17:24 PM »
AFL player, wont play @ coburg again, he has got it  :thumbsup :gotigers

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #107 on: May 17, 2008, 10:14:31 PM »
he looks the goods doesn't he.

was so impressed with his efforts today.

big thumbs up!!!
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #108 on: May 17, 2008, 10:32:29 PM »
Yep! I'd also have to agree. He had a great debut. :thumbsup Actually moves a bit like GAjr. Watching both in the same game it was easy to see the comparison. I think Wisbey actually once said he's in a similar mould to GAjr.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #109 on: May 17, 2008, 11:51:17 PM »
How a coach helped Cotchin out of a jam
richmondfc.com.au
By Mic Cullen
8:14 PM Sat 17 May, 2008

MANY things go into making up a successful AFL debut, but you don't often hear about jam sandwiches being one of them.

Richmond's Trent Cotchin had just finished the warm-up for a match with VFL side Coburg on Saturday morning when he was told to get his footy gear off and warm down again – he was going to play in the AFL a few hours later instead.

Cotchin, 18, was taken at number two in last year's NAB AFL National Draft, but a series of injuries kept him on the sidelines until a couple of months ago, when a string of good performances in the VFL put him back in the spotlight.

"I did the warm-up with Coburg, so I was ready to play for them, and I was looking forward to getting out in the wet, because that's one of my favourite games, as the ball's always on the ground," Cotchin said.

"We came back in from the warm-up, and one of the coaches said, ‘You may as well get your gear back on, because you're a chance to play in the ones’."

Coach Terry Wallace told the youngster just to reset himself for the game in the afternoon.

"I spoke to Plough (Wallace) and he just said if you need to leave, just go away and relax your mind and come back and prepare for your game again.

“So I went back to Punt Road, and the conditioning coach got me a couple of jam sandwiches because I hadn't pre-made my lunch, so I had them and did a couple of ice-baths just to cool myself off and get ready again."

With his initial touch at the top level, Cotchin joined that ever-expanding club of players who've kicked a goal with their first kick in AFL footy.

"The first kick? It was a bit of battler, but it got through, so it was OK," he said with a laugh. "That was my job, to crumb, so I got front and centre and took the opportunity, and it was good.

"Obviously you're very nervous before the game, but once you get into it, you just feel like you're playing another match of footy.

"It's very different – it's a lot quicker, and even the ball use ... [was] better than Coburg, and it was a wet day. I enjoyed it."

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsId=59768

Offline F0551L

• One Eyed Richmond Gold member "eat em alive" Marching on to Victory in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Strong and Bold
« Reply #110 on: May 18, 2008, 12:18:16 AM »
  the Cotch has arrived  Hallelujah
EAT EM ALIVE 2016 TIGERS

Retired to the Bench

Ox

« Reply #111 on: May 18, 2008, 03:25:39 AM »
Strong legs.
Bottom half look solid,unlike Richo :lol
Knows he's good and even got in a dustup for a moment.
The type of player we all want Deledio to become.
Watch this space.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #112 on: May 18, 2008, 04:01:34 AM »
Richmond surprise has a ball
Jon Pierik | May 18, 2008 12:00am

TRENT Cotchin was warming up to play for Coburg in the VFL curtain-raiser at the MCG yesterday when he was given an unexpected tap on the shoulder.

Suddenly, he was to make his AFL debut a few hours later against Geelong at the same venue.

But the 18-year-old's unconventional build-up to his first senior game did not end there.

The second pick, behind Carlton's Matthew Kreuzer, in last year's national draft was forced to make a mad dash from the MCG to Tiger headquarters at Punt Rd to wolf down some jam sandwiches as he had not come prepared with his lunch.

The Tigers knew they had missed a potential public relations bonanza as greater awareness of Cotchin's debut might have attracted more than the 37,275 to the ground, but coach Terry Wallace did not care.

"As we said, it was a last-minute decision," Wallace said.

"It's very difficult to always be the marketing tool of the club. Sometimes you have to be the footy entity of the club."

On that front, Wallace, and Cotchin, had much to be proud of after the former Northern Knight finished with 16 possessions and two goals.

"I wasn't too nervous before the game. Once you get out there it's pretty exciting," Cotchin said.

"Once you get into it, you're just playing another match of footy - a bit quicker."

Starting on the half-forward line, Cotchin was the centre of attention in only the third minute of the match when he swooped on a loose ball that spilled from a pack and dribbled through a goal with his first kick.

There could have been few better ways to launch a career and the goal lifted the confidence of Cotchin and the Tigers.

"That was my job, to crumb, get front and centre, and take the opportunity. It was good, all the boys got around," Cotchin said.

If that was not enough, three minutes later Cotchin's clever tap-on 15m from goal allowed Brett Deledio to run on and soccer through the Tigers' second goal.

As the afternoon progressed, Cotchin also spent time on the ball in what was an impressive debut full of poise against a side he had passionately supported as a junior.

There was only one blemish - a botched shot at goal from 3m out when he tried to snap the ball through rather than use a simple drop punt.

"The boys just said don't worry," Cotchin said.

Indeed, Cotchin is happy to be running around now after dealing with foot stress fractures and an achilles tendon over summer.

Wallace said Cotchin - and the Tigers - had a lot to look forward to.

"He has only had four weeks of footy and didn't really have a pre-season," Wallace said.

"The thing that he is not handling 100 per cent at the moment is the run and spread of the game because he just doesn't have the legs at the moment.

"The thing that he has been really good at - his ball use - has been fantastic at VFL level and certainly his stoppage work has been fantastic."

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,23715589-19742,00.html

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #113 on: May 18, 2008, 08:19:33 AM »
TOLD YOU HE WAS READY! ;D

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #114 on: May 18, 2008, 08:47:19 AM »
Yes you did.

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #115 on: May 18, 2008, 08:49:03 AM »
your welcome

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #116 on: May 18, 2008, 11:34:35 AM »
What a gun! Now all Richmond fans know why he got such massive raps as a junior.

The thing that stands out like a sore thumb with Trent is how good his kicking is. Everything hit its target, except that botched shot on goal. This is where Trent belongs, playing with the big boys. Class, superb decision making, kicking skills and youth, exactly what needs to be injected into our side.

Go Trent! :gotigers

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
« Reply #117 on: May 18, 2008, 11:36:32 AM »
No doubt that Cotchin showed that he belongs at AFL level, however just worries that he does not have the fitness base.

Will be interested to see how he goes second start after a heavy track - hopefully no soft tissue injuries are lurking.

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #118 on: May 18, 2008, 11:42:44 AM »
No doubt that Cotchin showed that he belongs at AFL level, however just worries that he does not have the fitness base.

Will be interested to see how he goes second start after a heavy track - hopefully no soft tissue injuries are lurking.

May be a concern in the short-term but long-term will be fine IMO

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #119 on: May 18, 2008, 01:46:39 PM »
he is fit enough, has played what 4 / 5 weeks now, is young , hard at it and wants it

he will be our best player within 2 yrs