Author Topic: Trent Cotchin [merged]  (Read 402902 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
When Cotchin was certain he wasn't going to be a premiership player (SEN)
« Reply #2925 on: November 02, 2023, 02:40:29 PM »
“I’D HAVE LAUGHED”: WHEN COTCHIN WAS CERTAIN HE WASN’T GOING TO BE A PREMIERSHIP PLAYER

Lachlan Geleit
SEN
2 November 2023

Trent Cotchin could never have imagined where his career was about to go at the end of the 2016 season.

He had spent nine years at the club and was yet to win a final, while the Tigers had just finished 13th with an 8-14 record alongside a dismal percentage of 79.49.

We all know what happened after that though, with Richmond going on to win three of the next three of the next four premierships with Cotchin captaining the side in all of those successes.

The midfielder even contemplated whether being traded could have benefited the club at the stage and the recent retiree admits he was stunned with how quickly things turned around.

“I definitely was (surprised at the turnaround),” Cotchin told SEN Breakfast.

“I mean, sitting there at the end of 2016 if someone had said, ‘Oh, you'll be a premiership captain next year’, I would have laughed in their face.

“Probably to be fair, I didn't think it was going to happen in my career at all.

“But once I went through that journey of re-establishing who I was and connecting with other players and what they wanted to stand for as well (we started to turn things around).”

With connection key in Richmond’s dynasty era, Cotchin says success on the field came surprisingly after they stopped thinking so much about winning the big prize and instead being grateful for the jobs they were lucky enough to hold.

“I realised that it actually wasn't about the premierships, it was more about the way that we were living and playing and enjoying the amazing opportunity we had to be at such a proud footy club. To do that as a job was pretty special,” Cotchin said.

“Connecting with people and even now when we reflect on premiership years and so forth, it's not actually the day that you reflect on.

“It's all the stories and little moments throughout that season that were so special and made that journey so worthwhile.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/11/01/id-have-laughed-when-cotchin-was-certain-he-wasnt-going-to-be-a-premiership/

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Trent Cotchin [merged]
« Reply #2926 on: November 02, 2023, 10:38:47 PM »
Well well. I was correct after all.  :shh

It has never been the same dynamic since he decided to renege on his vows to his wife.

Who knows how it effected the players (and wags).

Even if it’s on a subconscious level his personal integrity is compromised and his own words lose some of their meaning.

I know you want to believe "he decided to renege on his vows to his wife" and that you base this on media reports regarding on the breakdown down of his marriage

But none of us know what really happened nor do really know what if any impact the situation had on the playing group

Fair to say I disagree with your commentary but you are most definitely entitled to your view

When a team wins premierships it’s never just one thing that makes a premiership team victors but it’s a whole range of little things that make everything fall into place, however their is normally one thing that is the catalyst for change that kickstarts the winning formula. For us it was Mrs Hardwick’s hard truths that her stubborn husband had to hear. 

There have been many questionable things happen at the club that we’ve seen since Hardick decided to renege on the vows he made before God and family. :shh

That one decision and major deceptive betrayal may have just been the catalyst for this whole debacle of a season.  :rollin

Caro is criticised a lot but she was 100% correct about Hawthorn/Clarkson/Mitchell situation.

He is one person. There were some raised eyebrows at the club this week.

Edited to correct quote
« Last Edit: November 03, 2023, 07:11:08 AM by WilliamPowell »
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2927 on: November 03, 2023, 09:04:34 PM »
Don't miss @tcotchin9's 'From the Heart' book signing session at the Roar Store on Saturday, November 4 ✍️

https://twitter.com/Richmond_FC/status/1715504750722953223

Bump. Tomorrow morning.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2928 on: January 07, 2024, 11:12:17 PM »
2 x very interesting paragraphs from Cotch's book, thanks to @TigerAllen04 for sharing!

Seeing that from Cotch gives some serious validation to what we were all seeing and saying as well.

Very very interesting!

https://twitter.com/BFtigercast/status/1743871764323795303

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #2929 on: January 08, 2024, 05:46:44 AM »
So it’s not our imagination, stuffed free kick count, bad tribunal decisions, rule changes, could not possibly be a conspiracy……

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2930 on: January 09, 2024, 10:39:24 PM »

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2932 on: March 05, 2024, 02:22:30 PM »
if it means the cheats or filth lose then im okay with it

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Tiger_In_Sicily

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2933 on: March 05, 2024, 03:58:13 PM »
Dead to me...

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/threetime-richmond-premiershipwinning-captain-trent-cotchin-hired-by-flagchasing-brisbane-lions/news-story/5bd78fd4789f931146dfe2e575d3452d

>:( :thumbsdown
Don't stress , he was a great player but fooled the world about what a great leader and bloke he is . His choice of wife proves he will never be a true man and leader .  Before you all start targeting me about this, do your own real thorough research

Offline Gigantor

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #2934 on: March 05, 2024, 04:25:24 PM »
For me the list of brave acts Trent did that changed the way played is endless but the one that readily comes to mind is the take down of Mumford  in the opening minutes of the 2019 grand final it set the agenda for that game

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2935 on: March 05, 2024, 04:33:04 PM »
Dead to me...

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/threetime-richmond-premiershipwinning-captain-trent-cotchin-hired-by-flagchasing-brisbane-lions/news-story/5bd78fd4789f931146dfe2e575d3452d

Don't stress , he was a great player but fooled the world about what a great leader and bloke he is . His choice of wife proves he will never be a true man and leader .  Before you all start targeting me about this, do your own real thorough research

he isnt the first bloke to be pussy whipped.

have met him quite a few times as has some of my close friends. Ripper bloke unlike some  :shh
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #2936 on: March 05, 2024, 07:02:23 PM »
Dead to me...

:lol

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2937 on: March 05, 2024, 07:06:56 PM »
Tigers' flag skipper to head north in mentor role with Lions

By Michael Whiting
afl.com.au
5 March 2023

RICHMOND’S three-time premiership captain Trent Cotchin is set to become a Lion.

Cotchin is poised to sign with Brisbane in an off-field leadership role the Lions hope will help take them to a flag in 2024.

The 33-year-old, who retired from playing last year following 306 games with the Tigers, would be a virtual 'fly in, fly out' appointment to work with Brisbane's leadership group on a regular basis.

He would also attend games in Melbourne when the Lions play there.

Brisbane CEO Greg Swann said chasing the decorated Tiger was a no-brainer.

"His role is to get us from nearly there to there," Swann said.

"It was (football manager) Danny Daly's idea. He knows him well from the Richmond days. 'Fages' is on board with it, and we all were.

"We think it's a great appointment.

"Everyone’s looking for a little advantage, and hopefully with his input, he's a three-time premiership-winning captain, so he knows what it takes to win, so we're hopeful that he can pass on some good advice to our leaders."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1082423/richmond-tigers-flag-skipper-trent-cotchin-heads-north-to-take-up-mentor-role-with-brisbane-lions

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #2938 on: March 05, 2024, 08:15:10 PM »

"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2939 on: March 05, 2024, 08:36:20 PM »