Author Topic: Trent Cotchin [merged]  (Read 395608 times)

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
Re: Trent Cotchin [merged]
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2007, 08:24:42 PM »
masten is the type of player of need in preference to cotchin but cotchin is a class above masten.

He has the potential to be a star player whereas IMHO masten will become a more modest very good player in the haselby mould.

BTW hasleby might be coming to richmond through the PSD, let us all pray  :pray

yep..tend to agree with you on cotchin....can be a superstar....whereas masten will be quite a good player...

where did u get the rumour about hasleby from???..if true..that's good...we have enough speed in our midfield......hasleby will fit in well with his in and underwork with cogs, tuck and foley

Paul Haselby may be cut by Freo. A question mark over his back for other clubs interested in picking him up for free in the PSD.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,22345325%255E19742,00.html

from Mr one-eyed in the PSD targets thread

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2007, 08:26:47 PM »
so what happens if the blues get cotchin

we should go 4 a masten or selwood

dont think big boys like kruezer grow up to be anything special, look at fraser at the skunks

Masten. In all honesty there is not a great deal of difference IMHO between him and McEvoy. Kreuzer has performed better on the big stage but McEvoy will be something special. If we can conjure up an earlier pick and snare him I'll be laughing all the way to the swiss bank with this steal

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2007, 12:39:10 AM »
Hasleby ???

what is with Richmond getting Fremantle players ???

Simmonds = very good

Polak = hmmmmm

Hasleby = ??? ... haven't seen much of him this year or last year

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2007, 12:54:33 AM »
I thought Ryan Murphy would be ok but Haselby would be another step up.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Tigermonk

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2007, 09:36:13 AM »
Well this week we get to look at the players in full flight that many have spoke about as the best draft picks

Gippsland Power play the Northern Knights at Optus oval on Sunday 11.00am
Gippsland Power finishing champions but now its time for the real buisness

This will be a cracker game

Cotchin, Kreuzer, will be on display

keep eye on Blaser a strong body, good skills, kicks goals, can play most positions, & has tasted senior football from age 15 & goes in hard prepared to mix it without doing the Fiora  ;D

the best medicine & recovery session for Greg Miller,
down there for a quick look before bolting off to for the Coburg game at Teac Oval  ;D  :cheers

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2007, 04:34:16 AM »
Cotchin the class of 2007
Emma Quayle | November 18, 2007

TRENT Cotchin played his final game of junior football two months ago, and closed his last year 12 exam booklet on Friday. Early next Saturday morning he'll find out where his new life, as an AFL footballer, will finally start.

In the meantime, the 17-year-old has headed to Echuca for a few days of sun and his first real break in what has been a busy year. "I can't wait," said Cotchin, who will have his good friend Matthew Kreuzer alongside as, back in Melbourne, Carlton decides which of the pair it will choose with its No. 1 draft pick.

"The season's gone by really fast, but there hasn't been much time to think about things.

"It'll be nice just to have a few days to get my head around what's happened this year, and get ready for what's coming. I'm looking forward to knowing where I'm heading, and starting out all over."

It was not immediately obvious that Cotchin, a northern suburbs boy who played his first game for the West Preston under-9s, was AFL material. He was the tiniest member of most his junior teams, and would tell his sisters he'd have to be as good as Tony Liberatore to make it.

Then he grew, and people started to notice he could kick well with both feet, kick goals, bring teammates into games and have a big say in which team won.

Last year, Cotchin became one of only a few 16-year-olds to win a place in the Northern Knights' TAC Cup team. He played six games, scored goals in each of the team's three finals and, on the Champion Data stats sheet, turned the ball over with just three of his 80-plus kicks.

This season, he captained the Australian under-17 team in a game against Perth on his 17th birthday, then toured South Africa with the AIS-AFL Academy. He played for his school, Essendon Grammar, in two winning finals, and for Vic Metro in the under-18 championships.

Ken Fletcher, the long-time coach of Essendon Grammar, knew as soon as he saw Cotchin booting balls in the school's gym last year that he had a good one on his hands, and now ranks the onballer ahead of Scott West and his own son, Dustin, as the best boy he's coached.

"He's going to be a 200-game player, no doubt," Fletcher said. "He's got to be lucky with injury, but he's just a very good talent and a very good person to go with it. It's a funny thing to say, because Westy's won eight best-and-fairests, but Trent's just got that something special.

"The really good players have got that ability to bring others into the game, and that's what I like about Trent. A lot of kids at the top level like to do it all themselves, but if someone's in the right position Trent will give it to them. That's going to be a really good thing for him later on."

Cotchin's season has not been an entirely smooth ride, though. The under-18 carnival, in particular, did not pan out how he'd hoped, with West Australian Patrick McGinnity tagging him out of the opening game at Subiaco and a knee injury ending his final match, against Vic Country, by half-time.

Back with the Knights by the end of the year, he freshened up and played his most dynamic games, only to break his foot in the third quarter of the preliminary final and watch his injury-stricken side let a five-goal lead, and a trip to the MCG on grand final day, slip away.

That he had come back to make a difference was made very clear to the Knights. "You could see there was this quiet desire and determination about him. He was on a mission," said Peter Kennedy, the club's regional manager.

"He had a desire to really show people what he was capable of, and he was probably best on ground in our first final. In the next game he had a player pick him up and he just shook him off and ran him ragged, and he was shaping up well in the last game until he broke his foot.

"He's just an outstanding talent, with his balance and his kicking. He hits targets all the time and his work ethic during games was just outstanding for us."

Cotchin, who is eligible for this year's draft by only a few weeks, embraced each challenge, tried to improve his endurance so that taggers got the message, and said the season had taught him that there are always ways to improve. "With every level you get to your footy has to go up, and I like that side of it. It gives you a better idea of what it takes to be a top-level footballer," he said.

"This year the games have become more intense, and you have to learn and train yourself to recover and back up every week. At times I've been frustrated, but it's been a really good year. I just look forward to the future now, and getting on with that. One more week and I'll know."

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/cotchin-the-class-of-2007/2007/11/17/1194767026446.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2007, 04:35:39 AM »
Kotchin happy pressure is on mate
18 November 2007   Sunday Herald Sun
Jackie Epstein

IF Matthew Kreuzer is king of the talls then Trent Cotchin is master of the midfielders.

The great mates, teammates and top prospects, are expected to be called first and second in Saturday's NAB national draft.

While they are competitive and playfully sledge each other - Kreuzer cops it most - there will be no one happier than Cotchin to see "Kreuze" take the spoils.

"I actually hope he goes No. 1 because it would be a bit of a let down if he didn't after the pressure that's been on him," Cotchin said.

"He is as good as everyone says. He's helped me by tapping it down. I played about six games with him (at Northern Knights) this year because of school footy, but I haven't been stressed.

"There's nowhere near the pressure on me compared with Kreuze.

"It's probably been a good thing he's in my side so he's taken the focus off everyone else."

But Cotchin has recruiters swooning over his class, balance, ability to read the play and adept kicking on both sides, so much so Collingwood recruiter Derek Hine rates him ahead of Kreuzer.

"He's a genuine midfielder," Hine said of the 184cm 17-year-old. "Kreuzer's going to be a really great player, but I'd personally have Cotchin at one."

With Richmond in the box seat it is fitting Cotchin's favourite player is Brett Deledio, whose poster hangs on his bedroom wall in Wollert, near Mernda.

Cotchin has spent a week at Punt Rd through the AIS/AFL Academy program and impressed everyone with his maturity and enthusiasm.

"I got to meet the boys in early January," Cotchin said.

"When I first started training at Richmond I was just like, 'ooh, these people are so much more superior compared to me'.

"And when you meet them they're just like a bunch of blokes, so you change your view and feel a part of it pretty quickly.

"Deledio and (Chris) Judd - they're my favourites. I try to play like them. Deledio took me under his wing a bit, so that put him up in my ratings.

"(Coach) Terry Wallace pretty much told me what he thought of me and my week at Richmond. He was pretty happy with how I went about it and gave me some pointers. Hopefully it helps me out a bit."

As much as Cotchin would love to stay in Melbourne he is not fussed where he goes to fulfil his dream.

Dad Peter was quoted as saying he didn't want his son to go to West Coast but Cotchin said he was misunderstood.

When two Eagles recruiters came to the family home they painted an impressive vision.

"Perth's a beautiful place," Cotchin said.

"It was more just the fact that I was going to be so far away from the family. It's not really the drugs because (dad) knows I have my head screwed on the right way."

Cotchin is so disinterested in partying he is avoiding schoolies celebrations this week. He finished exams on Friday and went to the family holiday house at Echuca with friends, including Kreuzer and teammate Jack Grimes.

The only setback was fracturing his ankle in the TAC Cup finals and missing the bulk of testing at the draft camp while on crutches.

"I had six weeks on crutches and it was pretty frustrating," Cotchin said.

"I felt that my fitness was a lot better than what it has been as well. I wanted to prove myself because some clubs were saying I had question marks over my tank.

"But towards the end of the season I felt I improved in that area and just wanted to give it a crack."

Instead Cotchin has had time to help his dad on their property, miss his girlfriend, who has been riding horses in Germany for five months, and, of course, concentrate on footy.

Mum Kath said he was determined at an early age.

"He is a good boy but he was a s--- of a kid," she said.

"From the time he got out of bed it was just go go go. And he always slept with his footy.

"The thought of him going to the other side of Australia . . . that's scary but that's what he wants to do and we're a really close family.

"We just want to know now."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,22774757%255E19742,00.html

richmondrules

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2007, 10:41:19 AM »
Nice to here a kid would actually wants to come to us. Cale probably does too because of Mitch, but Trent actually wants to come here because of us. Sounds like TW was pretty impressed by him (if you believe what Trent says  ;D Ego is not a dirty word) and since we have had him training at the club we should have a bit of an idea what we would be getting.

I have no idea what we are going to do.  :help

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2007, 11:04:32 AM »

??? ::)

lazy journalism just won't seem to go away

richmondrules

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2007, 02:01:21 PM »

And you expect anything else? Journalistic standards are a disgrace. You wonder if they have any pride in their work.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2007, 02:40:35 PM »

And you expect anything else? Journalistic standards are a disgrace. You wonder if they have any pride in their work.

If its not sensationalist headlines to sell a paper its then stating the obvious or then toeing the AFL admins party line for the scoop at a later point in time. Garbage writing.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2007, 04:41:02 PM »
Having seen Cotchin play it's hard to disagree with anything in the articles about him today. The bit about bringing teammates into play is so true. The kid has footy-smarts and has the slick skills to back those smarts up  :thumbsup. A no-brainer IMO and as HT74 says he actually wants to play for us. What more do we want with our first pick ???.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Ramps

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2007, 07:18:05 PM »
After going through this whole period looking at what we should pick and having been on the Cale Morton bandwagon because of his carnival, I now feel that we should just take the midfielder in Cotchin. He'll play 200 games, he seems like he does want to come to Richmond, so for the sake of it all, the risk free decision is to take Trent Cotchin- besides sometimes you have to just take the very good footballer instead of the hoped for superstar. Ive seen far to many potential champions come to Punt Rd and amount to nothing. So its Trent Cotchin at 2 for mine.

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2007, 10:37:50 PM »
After going through this whole period looking at what we should pick and having been on the Cale Morton bandwagon because of his carnival, I now feel that we should just take the midfielder in Cotchin. He'll play 200 games, he seems like he does want to come to Richmond, so for the sake of it all, the risk free decision is to take Trent Cotchin- besides sometimes you have to just take the very good footballer instead of the hoped for superstar. Ive seen far to many potential champions come to Punt Rd and amount to nothing. So its Trent Cotchin at 2 for mine.

:thumbsup another one one the cotchin bandwagon

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2007, 12:40:43 PM »
Kevin Sheahan on SEN this morning:

"When we saw Cotchin coming through especially last year, he was the best midfield talent we have seen since Chris Judd".