Author Topic: Federal Election  (Read 41749 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Federal Election - Nov 24
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2007, 10:59:11 PM »
Turnbull wasn't Howard's lovechild during the republican debate  :nope

Not a fan of the Liberal Party daniel  ;)  :lol
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2007, 11:24:04 AM »
i aint talking about the republican debate i was talking through this election. for that matter costello wasnt howard's allay in that debate also
how the hell did he even get into politics. ill tell u how. his wallet.

liberals na i cant stand them.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2007, 01:59:01 PM »
Out of the two major parties, the one in better financial shape is surprisingly Labor. The Union movement gives the ALP superior resources and manpower to fund and fight election campaigns. The Libs are finding it hard to generate party donations and attract good candidates these days and being in opposition now right around the country will make that task even harder.

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2007, 06:32:32 PM »
Turnbull as opposition leader would be a decent result for Australia IMO.

Instantly we would have a return to more socially progressive ways.

I still don't know what Rudd stands for. No one stands for anything these days other than grabbing votes. Aspirations run pretty low in this country. How about dreaming of a better world, rather than low interest rates. Kevin Rudd is the most conservative Labor leader I can remember, state or federal.

I voted Greens and Democrat. At least they have principles.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2007, 07:40:41 PM »
howard and his values are pathetioc. the way he paraded around telling everyone about the economy and how good it is under him.
its not him that put us in this position, its china. howard is a apuppett and rudd. i like him as a person.

will he be any different than howard? probably not

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2007, 08:17:31 PM »
With the comings and goings (more goings ;D) of the conservative parties (Libs & Nats) I actually see them being in the wilderness for a number of years now.

The federal situation reminds me of what happened in Victoria when Kennett was turfed out and from that the Vic Libs have not recovered (Bobbie Doyle anyone) IMO
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Moi

« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2007, 08:29:38 PM »
With the comings and goings (more goings ;D) of the conservative parties (Libs & Nats) I actually see them being in the wilderness for a number of years now.

The federal situation reminds me of what happened in Victoria when Kennett was turfed out and from that the Vic Libs have not recovered (Bobbie Doyle anyone) IMO
They must be really scratching their heads what they did wrong though.
Record low unemployment, surpluses, booming economy.
I'm a Labor voter through and through - campaigns are wasted on me because I'll never change.  But if ever a Coalition government deserved to be returned, I'd say this one should have.  Don't think they deserved the thumping they got.
And I'm absolutely gobsmacked I said that lol

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2007, 11:19:10 PM »
unemployment= as a result of workchoices/awa's

economy=as a result of china/india/japan and anyone who uses about 20 different commodities

they deserve everything they got.
have i been personally affected by the libs. no way i work for a virgin blue who employes over 2000 people.

i just hate what these pricks done to poor working families with their awa's.

suck sh-it

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2007, 02:14:08 PM »
I'm a Labor voter through and through - campaigns are wasted on me because I'll never change.  But if ever a Coalition government deserved to be returned, I'd say this one should have.  Don't think they deserved the thumping they got.

Moi, what is the point of record low unemployment if we are all slaves?
And who is the economy booming for? Mostly the top end of town. Most people of my generation, whilst they want not for anything they need, are still finding it hard to get ahead/save for house deposit.
Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2007, 05:50:06 PM »

They must be really scratching their heads what they did wrong though.
I think it was a whole combination of things.

11 years in power is a long time so people are receptive to a new face. Rudd campaigned well to promote himself as a fairly "safe" as well as "new" opposition leader unlike timebomb Latham and poor old Beazley. Rudd also tapped into an electorate looking for more than just a beancounter. Howard misread the mood.

Probably a rule of thumb is don't tick off the public by promising something you then don't deliver (Keating with his L.A.W tax cuts and Howard with his record low interest rates) nor make major changes to something most people didn't see broken without asking them first (IR and workchoices). The Libs got carried away after gaining control in the Senate. Another rule of thumb is don't tell the public they've never had it so good when  the cost of living and cost of buying a home has skyrocketed  :wallywink.

The environment is back as a major election issue thanks to the drought and our less than half-filled dams. Howard first tried to dismiss it saying global warming/climate change was a myth but then at the last minute did a backflip. It just looked like vote-chasing in reaction to bad polls. Same goes for the "fairness test" with Workchoices. Just reactive desperate policy on the run.

Last but not least was the Government constantly stumbling from one scandal or gaff to another in their final term. Leadership and party internal friction, AWB, Iraq, interest rates, etc... The Libs couldn't generate any sustained positive momentum to crawl back ground on Labor. In the end they resorted to a fear and bribe campaign which couldn't con a cynical electorate a third time.   

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2007, 10:25:10 PM »
Interesting you mention the Iraq war MT. Although if was not front and sqare of the campaign I have no doubt it was in peoples (some) thoughts when it came to voting.

I honestly beleive there were 2 main factors in the Howard Govt demise.

1. was Workchoices - not just the lesgislation but how it was introduced. No mention at the last election but was bought out after the won and had control of the Senate.

which brings me number 2.

Having control Senate I think some people think they abused that privledge

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2007, 07:54:55 PM »
Good to see the Libs so united behind new leader Brendon Nelson that the vote was split 45-42 with Turnbull and Tony Abbott still wanting the gig :wallywink.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2007, 08:17:04 PM »
Good to see the Libs so united behind new leader Brendon Nelson that the vote was split 45-42 with Turnbull and Tony Abbott still wanting the gig :wallywink.

Bit like watching the Labour party for the last 10 years pre Rudd ;D

Actually the Libs' ship seems rather "rudderless" at the minute  :wallywink :eyebrow

Moi

« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2007, 08:41:57 PM »
Turnbull wasn't Howard's lovechild during the republican debate  :nope
I think Howard appointed him his parliamentary secretary so he could keep an eye on him more than anything else lol

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2007, 12:40:07 PM »
Well one of the most stupid decisons has already been made by the Labor Party by allocating two of the most important and labour intensive
portfolio's in Education and Industrial relations to one person, Julia Gillard.  :banghead Plus the deputy PM job also. ::)

Oh this is going to be a fun 4 years.  :chuck