Author Topic: Alex Rance [merged]  (Read 244183 times)

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Rance Retires Effectively Immediately to Focus on Family & Faith
« Reply #2490 on: December 20, 2019, 09:56:04 PM »
The best Blackman I have ever seen.

Racist... :shh

He was talking the John Blackman family, not the race  :shh
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2491 on: December 21, 2019, 03:35:57 AM »
How a unique Tiger became a star

Glenn McFarlane
Herald Sun
20 December 2019

Alex Rance has never cared about following footy conventions.

In an age where a production line of AFL footballers are ordered to stick to the script others determine for them, Rance has always been his own man, marching to his own beat.

He once did it on a skateboard in a white suit and sunglasses all in the name of AFLX — and a good laugh.

He did it singing and dancing dressed as Aladdin, or soaping up the Richmond change rooms for a slip-and-slide session, or dressed up as Captain America.

Thankfully, he did his best work on the field as he transformed from a young player with questionable disposal and decision-making into one of the game’s greatest defenders.

He played footy with an innate sense of dare, taking on not just his own opponent, but almost entire forward lines.

If Richmond was to recast its Team of the (20th) Century as its greatest side of all-time, he would be one of the first picked.

His penchant for doing things his way played a part in his shock decision to retire from AFL football — at 30 — to be closer to his family and to devote more time to his faith as a Jehovah’s Witness.

The “conflict”, as he called it, between football and faith ate away at him for years.

Faith was always going to win on Rance’s scoreboard, even if his desire to chase a second flag with the Tigers in 2020 — after a knee injury cost him this year — was strong.

“Now I feel is the right time for me to put the same time and energy into other areas of my life that need it, and to prioritise the more important things to me, such as my spiritual growth, my family and friends,” Rance said.

He forecast this decision as far back as five years ago.

Rance explained on The Stack Report podcast last year how the contrasts between his beliefs and his football made for a delicate balancing act.

“When I want to talk to people about love and care, which are central parts of being a Jehovah’s Witness, it’s conflicting because (on the field) I’m beating someone up,” he said. “I’m trying to beat him, and put myself over him. But when I talk about the leadership side of things, I show that empathy, care and humility.

“It’s not an easy road to walk, when you have this conflict inside you.”

The Jehovah’s Witness website acknowledges playing sport as a means of “good health” and to “promote teamwork and self-discipline”. But it also warns about pitfalls when it comes to “violent” sports or “win-at-all-costs attitude”.

As the shock of Rance’s decision sinks in for Tigers fans, they can be thankful he played long enough to take his tally to 200 games and become one of the key figures in forging a modern dynasty at Punt Road.

He will one day become an AFL Hall of Famer, having been a five-time All-Australian (one as skipper), a best-and-fairest winner and a premiership player in 2017.

Early in his time in yellow and black, he used to have what his coach once famously termed “Alex Rance moments” when his kicking and decision-making had Tigers fans looking the other way.

But he worked on those deficiencies, with his coming-of-age moment coming in the final round clash with Sydney in 2014 when he was a wall the Swans couldn’t get past in one of the best games of his career.

He never looked back.

Those “Alex Rance moments” became things of beauty, not bewilderment.

He perfected the art of the interception, was one of the best one-on-one defenders the game has seen and his desperate acts — tackles, spoils, smothers and second efforts — and his leadership skills became a template future defenders will be judged on.

He’ll no doubt tackle the next stage of his life in the same manner.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/faith-was-always-going-to-win-out-over-footy-but-alex-rances-legacy-will-live-on-forever-at-punt-rd/news-story/0fb452595e6c5501d24e68de07889776

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2492 on: December 21, 2019, 04:03:02 AM »
Gale said Rance's contract will not come off the books this summer, meaning the Tigers won't have an extra spot available for another Sydney Stack-like signing in February.

But adjustments at the end of 2020 could allow Richmond to make a splash in free agency or the trade period.

"There's no compulsion to remove him off our list at this stage," Gale said.

"The contract will be amended accordingly, he'll stay on our list until the end of the year and then we'll deal with it then."

Having just romped to the 2019 premiership without their star defender, the Tigers are still heading into next year in good shape.

Bookmakers still have Richmond as outright favourites for next year's flag, they're just not quite as red hot.

Rance's defensive teammates like Dylan Grimes, David Astbury, Bachar Houli and Nick Vlastuin lifted to cover his absence this year.

They will need to do the same next season and hope someone like Noah Balta can grasp an opportunity.

The athletically gifted but raw tall is yet to make a position his own and he would appear to be one of the first in line to get a crack at helping fill the void.

"I think the positive here is that by the power of his example, he's set a very high standard and benchmark for others to follow," Gale said of Rance.

"We've got some exciting young kids who have the opportunity to come up and take the bull by the horns."

Grimes and company have demonstrated that they can cover for Rance on the field, but he was still a big part of proceedings behind the scenes while he rehabbed his knee.

Gale said the 30-year-old, part of the leadership group since 2016, was key in helping create the club's successful culture and will be missed.

"As talented and as combative and competitive as he was on the field, he was a real leader and a connector," he said.

"And a leader in the locker room. He's mad, I don't understand him, but he lifts the place.

"He's one of those guys who creates energy. Things happen. They happen on the field, you see that, but they happen off the field as well."

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/tigers-look-to-youth-to-help-cover-rance-c-614086

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2493 on: December 23, 2019, 02:26:26 AM »
Alex Rance Wife, Georgia Rance, Bio, Wiki, Net worth

celebscloseup.com
December 19, 2019

The media and football experts worship him as the best defender in the game since his first All-Australian season of 2014.

Back n 2014, Alex Rance, Australian rules footballer, almost left Richmond. There was the morning when he didn’t long for training sessions; the player only wanted to lay on his own comfort zone. Even one of the players surprisingly asked Rance how his family match up with his enthusiasm. But, Rance realized that they barely get to see his exuberance since most of it shreds out of him amidst the training and matches. Finally, five years later, he announced his retirement from AFL though his contract stated two years on the run.

Now, the player is on the run to be the best husband, best brother and best son in the Rance family. Learn more of Alex Rance’s wife, bio, wiki, and net worth.

Wiki Facts

Real Name    Alex Rancid [sic]
Birthday    October 9, 1989
Age    30
Birthplace    Perth
Zodiac Sign    Libra
Nationality    Australian
Ethnicity    Mixed
Height    6’4″
Profession    former professional Australian rules footballer
Parents    Murray Rance, Dianne Rance
Married/Wife/Partner    Georgia Rance
Children    None
Siblings    N/A
Net Worth    Above $1million

Married Life: Alex Rance wife, Georgia Rance

Despite he owns a contract with Richmond for further two years, he stepped away from the game for his family. Five years ago, when he told his wife, Georgia Rance, about his retirement, she was reluctant on his decision.

She knew that Rance loves football, if he quits it, one day he will resent and hold grudge against her. As a result, the player was in a dilemma, he couldn’t leave football and let down the people who look up to him. All he wanted was his football career, financial stability, and energy secured from his day to the family at once.

Finally the decision chose to stay with a long break. In a vacation, the spouse, Alex Rance, and Georgia Rance visited 11 states as well as Mexico, Cuba, the Caribbean. They sailed through canyons in Arizona; went to museums, cactus field and relished in NYC. Still, he headed off for running in between their routines. He was addicted to the training all through.

In December 2012, Rance hitched Georgia Blakeney, who cherished him throughout his AFL career. Has the duo received blessings from the children yet? Do you know he is an author of two children books -Tiger’s Roar and Rabbit’s Hop? He owns the school, The Academy too. But, he hasn’t relished the aura of fatherhood.

“I’d love to be a dad one day, a devotee of Jehovah’s Witness, Rance admits. “But probably the reason why I haven’t had kids yet, is because of my lifestyle. Right now, I’m not emotionally available enough to be able to provide for them.”

Earnings: Alex Rance net worth?

Having said, he is the best defender of all the time in the AFL season, his net worth is probably a bankable payroll. Well, Alex Rance’s net worth surpasses the binge of one million dollars. Let’s have a look at his career highlights, which is evidence of his bankable figures. Rance has honors of five times All-Australian, a one-time All-Australian captain and a winner of Richmond’s best-and-fairest award. He started playing for Richmond in 2007, while the year 2014 witnessed Rance’s 16 disposals accompanied by 12 coming off intercept possessions. Hence, he bagged his first All-Australian selection in 2014.

Besides rules football, he invested in a carpentry apprenticeship, pilot training, and a building course. He is the founder of the social media apps, The Academy, an Australian Rules football school for high school students.

His contract is worth $1 million per season. On 19 December 2019, he announced his retirement as an Australian Rules footballer so that he could be attentive towards his family. The injured knee raised the speculation if it was a reason to call of the game though he had two year run of contract.

“…Right now, I feel I have served my purpose in terms of my on-field performance and cultural impact, and I’m so grateful to the football club for their support and care in allowing me to do that in my own unique way…”

Knock Knock: There’s more to Alex Rance Bio-wiki

Age: At 30, he stuck by the decision of stepping away from his all-time long AFL career. He was born on October 9, 1989, in Perth Australia.

Parents: His football stream inherits from father, Murray Rance, a former Footscray and West Coast player and Swan Districts captain in the WAFL. Hence, he inclined towards junior football at the Noranda Junior Football Club under the influence of his dad. His mother, Dianne Rance has a connection from Indian ancestry.

Education, Nationality, and Ethnicity: He did schooling from Guildford Grammar School in Perth, Western Australia. Rance bears Australian nationality and mixed ethnicity. He has a pint of Indian heritage too and the credit goes to his mother, Dianne Rance.

Height: The player is quite tall at the height of 6’4”. It was an advantage to his defender and full-back position for the team.

https://celebscloseup.com/alex-rance-wife-georgia-rance-bio-net-worth/

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2494 on: December 28, 2019, 05:43:55 PM »
Unreliable source but the Daily Mail has two headlines:
* Rance and his wife Georgia have split.
* The tortured mind of a JW

Can someone post them on OER as I can't access them from my phone here. 
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2496 on: January 05, 2020, 10:24:38 PM »
Wow time flys by. I can't remember exactly when Rance was talking about retirement because of his faith and the issues it was causing in house with a very devout wife .. Was it three yrs ago 2016?. At the time i thought it was  a close run thing if he stayed or went. He stayed and got his reprieve  but i thought it was always going to an issue and it was always on the cards that he would retire.

Three yrs on it has certainly remained an issue for both him and his missus. The timing of it all and the so called issues surrounding said retirement to me are neither here nor there.Retirement imo has always been in the fore ground for Alex and his Missus.

As far as im concerned he has had his extended stay and if he wants to keep the missus happy it is time to retire

People think this is something that has happened suddenly. I disagree. I think it is something that has been bubbling away for 4 or so yrs.

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2497 on: January 06, 2020, 07:33:50 AM »
Problem with your post being that he’s divorcing his wife!
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline amc11

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #2498 on: January 06, 2020, 09:42:19 AM »
Problem with your post being that he’s divorcing his wife!

Couples separate all the time and not all of the separations will end in divorce.  Most couples having difficulties for whatever reason will usually try to work things out during the separation period. Bit hard to fully commit to work on saving your marriage if you are spending all your time and energy on your job that happens to require more of a commitment than the average 9 to 5. So retirement was really a no brainer.  I hope they can work things out but if not, life goes on....

The announcement was a separation with no mention of divorce at this stage.   

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2499 on: January 06, 2020, 09:58:40 AM »
Are you saying that he’s retiring to save his marriage?

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2500 on: January 07, 2020, 10:39:01 AM »
Are you saying that he’s retiring to save his marriage?

I don't think it's a stretch to imagine. Being a full time AFL footballer and in the club's leadership group (vice captain) is probably extremely demanding. Maybe he just wants to work on his personal life for a while?

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #2501 on: January 09, 2020, 02:45:14 AM »
BF poster quoting Sam Newman's podcast, so take with a pinch of the ol' Saxa fur now...

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/rance-retirement.1233557/post-64061673

:shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2502 on: January 09, 2020, 11:41:20 AM »
BF poster quoting Sam Newman's podcast, so take with a pinch of the ol' Saxa fur now...

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/rance-retirement.1233557/post-64061673

:shh

Gee wouldn't that be nice. Guy just takes a few months to sort his marriage out and then comes back for R1 :)

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2503 on: January 09, 2020, 12:15:07 PM »
Would that info explain why so many teammates did not offer any social media words? Because they knew he would be back?

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #2504 on: January 09, 2020, 02:12:47 PM »
Would that info explain why so many teammates did not offer any social media words? Because they knew he would be back?
Yes.