Author Topic: The rebuilding is NOT taking long.  (Read 16364 times)

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
Re: The rebuilding is NOT taking long.
« Reply #105 on: April 27, 2008, 11:29:09 PM »
Tonight was another good opportunity to see where we are at again. Although we've got more classier youngters still to come into the side over the next couple of years IMO we still need to dip deep in the next 2 drafts. We can't question the commitment and effort of the team in the last 3 weeks and there's light at the end of the tunnel but we still need to replace the triers with more classier players of the same type.

I concur with your thoughts on the draft. We are now 2-1-3. Is it better to come 14th or 9th?

Ramps

« Reply #106 on: April 28, 2008, 12:22:15 AM »
We are better of finishing closer to the bottom this year with really competitive efforts like last night. As I said in the other thread we need 2 mids a KPP and 200cm+ ruck. Thats the basis of what we need most considering what we have coming through at Coburg.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #107 on: April 28, 2008, 06:38:40 AM »
We are better of finishing closer to the bottom this year with really competitive efforts like last night. As I said in the other thread we need 2 mids a KPP and 200cm+ ruck. Thats the basis of what we need most considering what we have coming through at Coburg.

funny u mention rucks? whats everyones thoughts on troy.

too inconsistent for me. one week he plays good, next week terrible
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Tigermonk

« Reply #108 on: April 28, 2008, 11:19:57 AM »
Simmo is doing his job the same goes for Patto

blx

« Reply #109 on: April 28, 2008, 11:45:07 AM »

i would hate to see us continue last years "honourable wins" season ramps just for the sake of getting higher draft picks.

i know you dont mean it like that like were tanking but more if it pans out like that. If it does than yeah good but drafting is a lottery and no matter what anyone says, good players have been nabbed from all positions in the draft not neccessarily round one.

id just love to see this group of kids take their youthful enterprise and the confidence you only gain from actually winning matches and use that confidence to become a feared entity once again.

win, win, win... is always better than honourable loss, honourable loss, honourable loss...

Ramps

« Reply #110 on: April 28, 2008, 11:59:02 AM »
My opinion is that we need to do well in this draft, if we can do well and the kids we currently have can develop then we will be as KB likes to say be "right in the van" 3 years down the track. Midfielders we will be able to find in R2 and R3 of the draft, but boy if we could land a Hurley that would be sensational.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #111 on: April 28, 2008, 12:01:50 PM »
Tonight was another good opportunity to see where we are at again. Although we've got more classier youngters still to come into the side over the next couple of years IMO we still need to dip deep in the next 2 drafts. We can't question the commitment and effort of the team in the last 3 weeks and there's light at the end of the tunnel but we still need to replace the triers with more classier players of the same type.
You're right but we actually need to do this every year going forward, without fail.  Up until 4 years ago we had a poor record in this area and we are still playing catch up.  The recruiters and football department managers are just as (even more maybe) important to the success and longevity of our club than most other departments.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #112 on: April 28, 2008, 01:29:08 PM »

i would hate to see us continue last years "honourable wins" season ramps just for the sake of getting higher draft picks.

i know you dont mean it like that like were tanking but more if it pans out like that. If it does than yeah good but drafting is a lottery and no matter what anyone says, good players have been nabbed from all positions in the draft not neccessarily round one.

id just love to see this group of kids take their youthful enterprise and the confidence you only gain from actually winning matches and use that confidence to become a feared entity once again.

win, win, win... is always better than honourable loss, honourable loss, honourable loss...

Drafting, my friend, is not a lottery. Top 5 picks, from the last 5 years onwards, and more so in th future - give you a good chance of getting a A Grade 10 year players, and a pretty solid chance of at least getting a servicable 150 game player. Mistakes are made and kids dont come good, but by and large to picks are class. The drafting system is pretty complex these days, and while you can still get good players late you wont see a Deledio or Cooney not be spotted, ie. Hird @ 70.

You you argue against Deledio (pick#1-2004) and Cotchin (pick#2) are not some of most the most talented players on our list currently?

Frankly I think this stuff is stright forward and would not be needed to be said. Why do you debate this point?

I don't like the current AFL system, but it's the way it works.

I spose we will come 9th again  :D

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #113 on: April 28, 2008, 08:40:58 PM »
If we play like we have the last 3 weeks we will win as many games as we'll lose but then the AFL will go stuff you we'll punish your young list, trying its guts out, at the draft table and reward the deliberate tankers instead ::).

Simmo is 197cm and often competing against ruckmen who are 2-3 inches taller (202-4cm). Ruckmen need to be taller these days. That's why Ramps is suggesting another 200cm+ one.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #114 on: April 28, 2008, 11:20:29 PM »
If we play like we have the last 3 weeks we will win as many games as we'll lose but then the AFL will go stuff you we'll punish your young list, trying its guts out, at the draft table and reward the deliberate tankers instead ::).

Simmo is 197cm and often competing against ruckmen who are 2-3 inches taller (202-4cm). Ruckmen need to be taller these days. That's why Ramps is suggesting another 200cm+ one.

AFL cannot do this. Nor would they.

If Carlton can be allowed play like that vs. Melbourne R22 - then anything is allowed.

Tigermonk

« Reply #115 on: April 29, 2008, 11:30:03 AM »
We need to win games to build some confidence into the side,  we have picked up some good players via the rookie list in previous seasons which is pure luck,  them players choose to lift their workrate to become league footballers
Sometimes given a sniff is just as good as a top 10 draft pick & they get a taste of a few extra bonuses & pow 
Newman was no top 20 pick but his effort after drafted got him to where he currently is,  & after serious injury is a credit for his ability to work hard for something & is being rewarded in his contract
We also need to win games to keep the membership tally rolling cause another year down the bottom would see many turn thier backs on the club
We need to keep playing the way we are at present even if not winning games, the effort the lads are putting in is reward in itself. As they know if they keep producing them efforts it will create finals & you never know can create some upsets & other chances
Richmond have earnt the tag now as being unpredictable & capable of snatching a game. Hopefully this is the end of the days of the floggings & the Richmond supporter can attend games knowing we are a chance in any game  :thumbsup  :gotigers

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #116 on: April 29, 2008, 04:01:19 PM »

AFL cannot do this. Nor would they.

If Carlton can be allowed play like that vs. Melbourne R22 - then anything is allowed.
I didn't mean the AFL will deliberately punish us. What I'm saying is the draft system the way it is will hurt us if we "overachieve". We as reigning wooden spooners who haven't played finals in 7 years could finish mid-ladder the way we are playing at the moment, while the premiers of just 18 months ago who have made the finals the past 5 years and with 16 of that premiership side still playing could end up with pick 2 after having 4 picks in the top 22 last year. The current draft system punishes developing sides that do their best.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

blx

« Reply #117 on: April 29, 2008, 05:15:21 PM »
the basic argument here is :

High Draft Picks VS Winning Club Culture and frankly id rather a winning culture to a losing one.

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
« Reply #118 on: April 29, 2008, 07:11:41 PM »
the basic argument here is :

High Draft Picks VS Winning Club Culture and frankly id rather a winning culture to a losing one.

That's right blx.
People like Ramps would prefer us to tank, so we can get Naitanui, no thanks, losing is a bad disease that this club has had a lot of trouble getting rid of, the sooner we recover from that nasty virus the better.

And btw Ramps I'm not having a go at you about that, I fully understand your logic on topping up on high quality just that one more time, if we can get 8 wins this year and finish 10th, a No.7 draft pick will still inject a fair bit of class you'd hope.
Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine

richmondrules

« Reply #119 on: April 29, 2008, 07:24:52 PM »
Time to stop focusing on the bottom of the ladder.