Author Topic: Tom Hislop [merged]  (Read 23411 times)

Online Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Pick 58. Tom Hislop [merged]
« Reply #60 on: November 30, 2008, 03:13:29 PM »
Welcome Tom, another great fit for the club, by the way are some of the people on this site that don't agree with recruiting Hislop the same ones that actually want Cousins???????? Really have a look at yourselves if you are.

stuff cousins.

Hislop is another great find for the RFC just like Mcmahon, Kingsley, Graham, Meyer and Tambling are.

BEST DRAFT IN GOD KNOWS HOW MANY YEARS AND WHAT DO WE DO?????

Pick up a recycled reject and dump Meyer for similar reasons. Now i dont expect an old fart like yourself to understand common sense but from where im standing thats anothr pathetic recruiting decision.
Has Tom Hislop murdered somebody? I can't work out why so many people have so many negative comments to make about footballers. He is only 20, not the age that some of other recycled players have reached upon our recruiting of them. He is only a kid trying to further his career, and everyone deserves a second chance as everyone has made mistakes. Mistake are oppurtunities to learn.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #61 on: November 30, 2008, 03:41:10 PM »
Welcome Tom, another great fit for the club, by the way are some of the people on this site that don't agree with recruiting Hislop the same ones that actually want Cousins???????? Really have a look at yourselves if you are.

stuff cousins.

Hislop is another great find for the RFC just like Mcmahon, Kingsley, Graham, Meyer and Tambling are.

Pick up a recycled reject and dump Meyer for similar reasons. Now i dont expect an old fart like yourself to understand common sense but from where im standing thats anothr pathetic recruiting decision.
Best draft in what? 2 years? Pfft
The top 25-30 were very good then it dropped away quickly, why else do you think the first two rounds went quickly and then it ground to a halt later on?
Hislop was a TOP 20 PICK from that 2006 Superdraft which was far better than this years crop
As for including Tambling in your list, well that just highlights your limited mental power doesn't it

Tambling is included in that group till he performs week in week out.

What exactly he has done in his 4 years at the club. SFA. a starring 5 goals against the Eagles and a few games this year when he ran and chased.
Thats about it!!

I call it as i see it. Lids has shown why he will be a gun, Tambling is nowhere near his class
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2008, 03:47:14 PM »

stuff cousins.

Has Tom Hislop murdered somebody? I can't work out why so many people have so many negative comments to make about footballers. He is only 20, not the age that some of other recycled players have reached upon our recruiting of them. He is only a kid trying to further his career, and everyone deserves a second chance as everyone has made mistakes. Mistake are oppurtunities to learn.

Dont you get it.
We have played 2 finals in 25 years because of silly decisions at the Draft Table.

no one else wanted this dud, no one but we had to get him didn't we.

To top it all off we dump dud Meyer and recruit his identical brother Hislop. where is the stuffin logic there.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2008, 03:50:10 PM »
I am a bit puzzled over the drafting this year, I thought we would only pick up one recycled player and Thomson was that one.  That we have picked up two midfielders that I dont think will become elite players would probably mean the RFC believes a bit of depth is all that is needed for our midfield.  I wonder how far they go in the psyche testing on players like Hislop?.

Our past recycled players in recent times I can't complain about Polly and Morton, and even McMahon performs a role in the side.  At least our drafting of recycled players is in the right age bracket with potential, although I do prefer when they are ex pat Vics that were initially drafted interstate.

Time will tell.

sorry mate i agreed till the part you spoke of Mcmahon performing a role at the club.

how many matches did you go to this year. I saw a man who should never have been drafted.

Weak, skinny, turnovers a plenty and when the poressure is on he goes hiding like MXMLXV when a girl approaches him.

we screwd up last years draft and Outside of Vickery we have screwed it up again this year.

Online Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2008, 04:00:39 PM »
we screwd up last years draft and Outside of Vickery we have screwed it up again this year.
[/quote]
Not sure that the decision to draft Trent Cotchin is what you could call screwing up last years draft

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2008, 04:52:32 PM »
I am a bit puzzled over the drafting this year, I thought we would only pick up one recycled player and Thomson was that one.  That we have picked up two midfielders that I dont think will become elite players would probably mean the RFC believes a bit of depth is all that is needed for our midfield.  I wonder how far they go in the psyche testing on players like Hislop?.

Our past recycled players in recent times I can't complain about Polly and Morton, and even McMahon performs a role in the side.  At least our drafting of recycled players is in the right age bracket with potential, although I do prefer when they are ex pat Vics that were initially drafted interstate.

Time will tell.

sorry mate i agreed till the part you spoke of Mcmahon performing a role at the club.

how many matches did you go to this year. I saw a man who should never have been drafted.

Weak, skinny, turnovers a plenty and when the poressure is on he goes hiding like MXMLXV when a girl approaches him.

Cotchin, Rance & Putt were screwing up last years draft? Are you on crack?

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2008, 05:21:12 PM »
Not sure that the decision to draft Trent Cotchin is what you could call screwing up last years draft
[/quote]

the jordy mcmahon bit of the draft i meant

wrong choice of words on my part

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #67 on: November 30, 2008, 08:55:28 PM »
What's Tom's crimes if anyone can tell me?

he played for Essendon :)

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2008, 09:52:38 PM »

LOL

One game and when the Tiges don't play in Sydney it is none.

The hardest thing about assessing McMahon's effectiveness and his turnover criticism is that on TV I cant see what options he has up the ground, and if has options then I cant see how effective they are.

I must admit that personally Jordy isn't a favourite player, like most fans outside players dont rate well in my books.

I believe Jordy fulfils the role that he is being set as he polled 7th in the Jack Dyer which is assessed on the effectiveness on which a player carried out their role.

If Jordy wasn't drafted it probably would have been left to Bowden to deliver the ball out of the backline, and I think most people agree that the time for RFC to be going backward and sidewards on the footy field is past.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2008, 10:16:32 PM »

Those assumptions are double-edged conundrums that only hindsight can settle.   Who is to say that both recycled kids won't make it and that the missing draft picks would have?  At this point all we can do is place our trust in the football department that they have done their homework well enough to minimise the risk and maximise the potential return, then sit back and watch what happens.  It doesn't worry me that other people have different opinions but does frustrate me when those opinions slam the decisions made before any of the new recruits have even pulled on a Richmond training jumper.
That's fair enough and it's true those assumptions are double-edged conundrums that only hindsight in 5-10 years time can judge.

We might have been interested in them but knowing the impact we still chose to trade pick 42 for Thomson so unless you believe that collectively the current football department are completely moronic and did no due diligence then we (as supporters) will be far better served waiting to see how it all plays out before slamming the trade/draft outcome.  We only rated those guys above between 58 to 70 so let's not overstate how good we thought they might/might not be.  We picked up 2 kids that filled gaps in our list structure and we were in the fortunate position of having some 'street cred' on which to base our decisions - we could be much more confident that the 2 we chose can compete at the level - our challenge is to provide the environment and impetus to bring out their obvious potential.

Here is the biggest issue to me.  We DID pick up kids, they are 21 and 22, and they have now both done the 'growing time' that most kids need to do.  Bodywise they are ready to go now, no waiting for a couple of years like any other kids we would have chosen, no worrying if they can in fact compete at the level.  If all the dollars and scouts and stat programs collectively decided that the best outcome for the club was to go with Thomson and Hislop then why is it a waste of resources?  Personally I'm more confident that spending the money has possibly helped us identify the best outcome for the club 'outside the traditional square' of drafting all newbies.  Remember, we didn't draft has-beens or mid-range ages, we drafted kids - all 4 of them.  The only difference was that we have some knowns with 2 of our choices, unlike the other clubs that have taken a bigger risk on all their choices.

It's all a guessing game at this time of the year and all of our opinions don't count for squat but I wish some people would cut the decision-makers some slack and give them credit for knowing and doing their job until the facts can speak for themselves.
Going by what was said at the draft night Francis Jackson wished we had found another third round pick so our recruiter still rated kids around the 3rd round mark and I agree with him. Mitch Banner at 42 shows that. So no I don't think they are morons but I just disagree with the recruiting philosophy of recycling as much as we did and picking up so few 18 year olds. I don't call a 22 year old a kid as far as his football development goes. They've had 4 years in the AFL system and for smalls especially they should be showing whether they are up to it or not. If we had taken 4 teenagers and 1 recycled player late then fair enough but IMO you need to have a number of teenagers coming through from each and every the draft so you don't end up with age gaps in your list in say 6 years time when these kids will be making up your core group on the list. You need to always think of the long-term future health of your list and not only the next 3-4 years. We've only drafted 5 teenagers in the past 2 drafts. Compare that to other clubs that have drafted over twice as many like the Eagles.

We want a sustained period of success/finals to win a premiership rather than a rare appearance(s) and then dropping back down the ladder again for a lengthy period rebuilding again. In the past we recycled the likes of Hilton, Clinton King and other ready-maders in their early 20s and despite them being bagged now as failures they were actually keys to our 2001 finals appearance. However they and us didn't cut it in the finals. We weren't good enough. We didn't have enough quality to get anywhere near the top sides even when we made the finals. The way I see our list at the moment is likewise we don't have near enough quality to start adding two recycled players for depth and so few teenagers. Yes teenagers are a risk of bombing out but they also have the greatest room for further development. I see us having added a potential A-grader in Vickery to our list of talls (hopefully Post becomes one too) but we still need to add more class to our midfield. We can't just expect to rely on Lids, Cotch and Foley to carry us for the next decade as we did with Knighter, Cambo and Brodders in the 90s/early 2000s.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #70 on: November 30, 2008, 10:31:05 PM »

stuff cousins.

Ahhh it was Daniel you little wallflower you.  ::) Does anyone know the name of a good constructional engineer?

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #71 on: November 30, 2008, 11:03:37 PM »
Those assumptions are double-edged conundrums that only hindsight can settle.   Who is to say that both recycled kids won't make it and that the missing draft picks would have?  At this point all we can do is place our trust in the football department that they have done their homework well enough to minimise the risk and maximise the potential return, then sit back and watch what happens.  It doesn't worry me that other people have different opinions but does frustrate me when those opinions slam the decisions made before any of the new recruits have even pulled on a Richmond training jumper.
That's fair enough and it's true those assumptions are double-edged conundrums that only hindsight in 5-10 years time can judge.

We might have been interested in them but knowing the impact we still chose to trade pick 42 for Thomson so unless you believe that collectively the current football department are completely moronic and did no due diligence then we (as supporters) will be far better served waiting to see how it all plays out before slamming the trade/draft outcome.  We only rated those guys above between 58 to 70 so let's not overstate how good we thought they might/might not be.  We picked up 2 kids that filled gaps in our list structure and we were in the fortunate position of having some 'street cred' on which to base our decisions - we could be much more confident that the 2 we chose can compete at the level - our challenge is to provide the environment and impetus to bring out their obvious potential.

Here is the biggest issue to me.  We DID pick up kids, they are 21 and 22, and they have now both done the 'growing time' that most kids need to do.  Bodywise they are ready to go now, no waiting for a couple of years like any other kids we would have chosen, no worrying if they can in fact compete at the level.  If all the dollars and scouts and stat programs collectively decided that the best outcome for the club was to go with Thomson and Hislop then why is it a waste of resources?  Personally I'm more confident that spending the money has possibly helped us identify the best outcome for the club 'outside the traditional square' of drafting all newbies.  Remember, we didn't draft has-beens or mid-range ages, we drafted kids - all 4 of them.  The only difference was that we have some knowns with 2 of our choices, unlike the other clubs that have taken a bigger risk on all their choices.

It's all a guessing game at this time of the year and all of our opinions don't count for squat but I wish some people would cut the decision-makers some slack and give them credit for knowing and doing their job until the facts can speak for themselves.
Going by what was said at the draft night Francis Jackson wished we had found another third round pick so our recruiter still rated kids around the 3rd round mark and I agree with him. Mitch Banner at 42 shows that. So no I don't think they are morons but I just disagree with the recruiting philosophy of recycling as much as we did and picking up so few 18 year olds. I don't call a 22 year old a kid as far as his football development goes. They've had 4 years in the AFL system and for smalls especially they should be showing whether they are up to it or not. If we had taken 4 teenagers and 1 recycled player late then fair enough but IMO you need to have a number of teenagers coming through from each and every the draft so you don't end up with age gaps in your list in say 6 years time when these kids will be making up your core group on the list. You need to always think of the long-term future health of your list and not only the next 3-4 years. We've only drafted 5 teenagers in the past 2 drafts. Compare that to other clubs that have drafted over twice as many like the Eagles.

We want a sustained period of success/finals to win a premiership rather than a rare appearance(s) and then dropping back down the ladder again for a lengthy period rebuilding again. In the past we recycled the likes of Hilton, Clinton King and other ready-maders in their early 20s and despite them being bagged now as failures they were actually keys to our 2001 finals appearance. However they and us didn't cut it in the finals. We weren't good enough. We didn't have enough quality to get anywhere near the top sides even when we made the finals. The way I see our list at the moment is likewise we don't have near enough quality to start adding two recycled players for depth and so few teenagers. Yes teenagers are a risk of bombing out but they also have the greatest room for further development. I see us having added a potential A-grader in Vickery to our list of talls (hopefully Post becomes one too) but we still need to add more class to our midfield. We can't just expect to rely on Lids, Cotch and Foley to carry us for the next decade as we did with Knighter, Cambo and Brodders in the 90s/early 2000s.

great post. Finally someone who sees sense.

Hislop and Thomson are for the tip. Not good enough at successful teams like Bombers and Port so stuff knows why we think they will do better at Punt Road.

They should hang their heads in shame with this pathetic recruting decision

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #72 on: November 30, 2008, 11:17:58 PM »

stuff cousins.

Ahhh it was Daniel you little wallflower you.  ::) Does anyone know the name of a good constructional engineer?

yeah i do. Mrs MXMLXV

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #73 on: November 30, 2008, 11:32:55 PM »
Hislop and Thomson are for the tip. Not good enough at successful teams like Bombers and Port so eff knows why we think they will do better at Punt Road.

I hope you aren't so premature in other areas of your life

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #74 on: December 01, 2008, 05:26:51 PM »
Hislop and Thomson are for the tip. Not good enough at successful teams like Bombers and Port so eff knows why we think they will do better at Punt Road.

I hope you aren't so premature in other areas of your life

best you ask mrs MXMLXV about that one champ