Author Topic: Tom Hislop [merged]  (Read 23375 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Pick 58. Tom Hislop [merged]
« Reply #75 on: December 01, 2008, 07:45:13 PM »

Hislop and Thomson are for the tip. Not good enough at successful teams like Bombers and Port so eff knows why we think they will do better at Punt Road.

Can you tell me exactly when the Bombers were last "successful"

The finished below us in 2008 and when did they last play finals regularly  :-\ I would think it was before Tom Hislop time  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #76 on: December 02, 2008, 09:20:16 AM »

Hislop and Thomson are for the tip. Not good enough at successful teams like Bombers and Port so eff knows why we think they will do better at Punt Road.

The finished below us in 2008 and when did they last play finals regularly  :-\ I would think it was before Tom Hislop time  ;D

And let's not hang poor Adam Thomson out to dry either.  4 seasons at a club that finished 8th, 12th, 2nd (grossly over-achieved  eg Richmond 2001) and 13th.  Yep, a real successful club for the period he was there.

The success or otherwise of the club at the time is much less relevant than the 'fit' of a player to the club.  The player might not get on with some team mates, might not react positively to the coaching staff, might not be mature enough yet, might not like the city they live in, might have an ego that only a sacking can cure, who knows whatever the reason - the point is there are many, many examples of players not succeeding until they reach their second club so to make such a broad generalization as "Hislop and Thomson are for the tip" at this point of their careers and before they have even pulled on the new jumper just smacks of ignorance and immaturity.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #77 on: December 02, 2008, 09:30:21 AM »
I'm looking forward to seeing both Hislop and Thomson in the middle. We need grunt and fire and from all reports that is exactly what these two offer. If they can toughen up the other midfielders during training then we will have an uncompromising feared unit that can feed our forwards and continue esculating our goal tally from last year.

They just need some time to fit in, find a role and develop a hunger to succeed. Their first challenge will be to find a place in a highly competitive midfield. At the very least they will add the depth to the centre we have sourly lacked in recent years.

Hislop reminds me a lot of Connors - lots of talent but needs to be a team member if they are ever going to succeed at our club and more imprtantly, help our team succeed!

These two appointments makes be believe more and more that the club are becoming more and more convinced that Cogs will not be returning to the midfield next year...

Stripes

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #78 on: December 02, 2008, 06:09:35 PM »
Out of the two I have more confidence in Hislop becoming the tough inside midfielder we want than Thommo. Hislop's issues are above the shoulders so there's a chance he can become a long-term talented footballer if he grows up now he is in his 20s at a new club and gets off the booze. Whereas Thommo who at 22 was continually overlooked in a Port side crying out for a tough inside midfielder and Port have now offloaded him and replaced him with a 29 y.o. Josh Carr  :-\.

These two appointments makes be believe more and more that the club are becoming more and more convinced that Cogs will not be returning to the midfield next year...
Sad if that is the case as it would mean career over for Cogs. Plough has said he expects Cogs to be back within the first month of next season otherwise a comeback will be unlikely.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #79 on: December 02, 2008, 07:42:08 PM »
Here's Hislop from the RFC site.

Hislop was one of the genuine surprise delistings after being a prized pick just two years ago. Knows how to win the footy and could add something to the midfield. He is a tough in-and-under midfielder with a fearless attack on the footy. At just 21 years of age, he will be a valuable addition to the young Tigers’ list but has the advantage of having two seasons in the AFL system under his belt.

Watch highlights of Tom Hislop

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #80 on: December 02, 2008, 08:10:53 PM »
Out of the two I have more confidence in Hislop becoming the tough inside midfielder we want than Thommo. Hislop's issues are above the shoulders so there's a chance he can become a long-term talented footballer if he grows up now he is in his 20s at a new club and gets off the booze. Whereas Thommo who at 22 was continually overlooked in a Port side crying out for a tough inside midfielder and Port have now offloaded him and replaced him with a 29 y.o. Josh Carr  :-\.

Sad if that is the case as it would mean career over for Cogs. Plough has said he expects Cogs to be back within the first month of next season otherwise a comeback will be unlikely.

What the hell is wrong with Cog's now, he played the last couple with Coburg and he has been training all off season from what I have heard. Surley he will be right come round 1????
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #81 on: December 02, 2008, 09:01:51 PM »

What the hell is wrong with Cog's now, he played the last couple with Coburg and he has been training all off season from what I have heard. Surley he will be right come round 1????

I think he means that he expects him to be back in the seniors, not back in training.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #82 on: December 02, 2008, 09:10:14 PM »
I would expect him to be in round 1 after competing in the NAB cup rounds.

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #83 on: December 02, 2008, 09:20:03 PM »
Maybe.  Still needs to get back to the speed of the senior game (if he stays fit) and that might take a couple more rounds than just the NAB Cup.  By all reports he was still a long, long way off it in his couple of games for Coburg at the end of the season.

Offline dogged

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #84 on: December 02, 2008, 09:31:02 PM »
heard a whisper that cogs is travelling very well getting most of the old tricks back.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #85 on: December 02, 2008, 09:32:00 PM »
Mmmm, really thought he was coming along a bit better than that, shame really.

"Rucks:

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #86 on: December 02, 2008, 09:34:35 PM »
heard a whisper that cogs is travelling very well getting most of the old tricks back.

Now thats what I have heard thats why I really thought he would be ready for round 1. So who has the truth??

"Rucks:

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #87 on: December 02, 2008, 09:47:42 PM »
March next year holds the truth!   ;)

Seriously though, it would be nigh on impossible to judge correctly at this time of the year when very few, if any, of the training sessions are competitive and at anywhere near full tilt.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #88 on: December 02, 2008, 09:53:49 PM »
True but MT should be able to give us the heads up before March hey MT...... ;)

"Rucks:

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #89 on: December 03, 2008, 09:17:47 AM »

Who cares about finals when you win flags fruitloop.

16  since their inception

4 since our last

enough said
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.