Author Topic: Playing the kids  (Read 1805 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Playing the kids
« on: May 28, 2009, 06:37:43 AM »
Interesting article in the Age today about youngsters playing AFL sooner after being drafted...

Nahas is mentioned as one of the top 10 to walk into the AFL this year and make their mark

The kids are ready to play
Greg Baum | May 28, 2009

THE time of sparing football innocents is gone. More kids are playing AFL, sooner. And they're having greater immediate impact.

Typically, 75 to 80 new faces appear in any one season, mostly towards the end when non-finalists experiment with their lists. This year, 51 have made their debut already, 18 in round one, both records. Carlton, North Melbourne and Fremantle all have fielded five greenhorns. But, instructively, Geelong has played just one, once, and St Kilda, the other runaway ladder leader, none. This fits the axiom that a football club is forever either contending or rebuilding.

But for football's Gen Y, it is not simply about getting a guernsey. Seven have played every game. Stephen Hill and Daniel Rich have blitzed. Brendan Whitecross and Jack Ziebell are averaging 18 touches a game. Taylor Walker has kicked 15 goals. David Zaharakis kicked the winner on Anzac Day. These kids are here not merely to take a mark, but make one.

Young players, said Jason McCartney, sensed the urgency. "With 38 players on the list, you've really only got two years," he said. "Years ago, with more players on the list, you had more time. Now, you need to make a mark early, or you're out the door. There's no 50-game VFL apprenticeships now."

ROBIN NAHAS (Richmond)
Drafted: 2009 rookie select
Debut: Rd 5, 2009, v Geelong
Games: 5 Kicks: 7.7 Marks: 3.7 Handballs: 3.6 Goals: 9

Full article:
http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/the-kids-are-ready-to-play/2009/05/27/1243103592925.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Playing the kids
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 08:44:29 AM »
I know that a lot of people equate playing the kids with tanking, as if their lack of experience is going to cost us games. But I disagree. I think the enthusiasm that they bring to the side can really be a shot in the arm to a demoralised playing group.
Just as it is for a bunch of jaded supporters. I know that I get  tired of seeing the same old faces who have let us down in big matches time and time again, go through the revolving door from Coburg to the seniors.
 It was only a few weeks ago that Troy Simmonds was dropped to Coburg. Now he's back and already playing the same indifferent,disinterested footy that saw him demoted in the first place.
 Imagine how exciting it would be for all concerned to see Vickery take his place. I bet he'd grab his opportunity with both hands.I reckon Andrew Browne would jump at the chance to redeem himself after being unfairly made the scapegoat for our rd. 1 shocker as well.
And after 2 years on our list, does the club really feel that it still needs to wrap David Gourdis up in cotton wool in case some seasoned AFL player snaps his puny body in half? :lol
Bring him and Jack in, and let's give our dwarf-sized forward line some proper structure I say. Having said that I just know that Terry is going to bring back McMuppet, and tick off everybody. :banghead
Whenever he starts talking in the press about our endeavour being good, but lacking in polish, that's always a cue that he's going to bring McMuffin back in. Then our endeavour goes right back out the window again!!!

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 10:09:21 AM »
Gourdis is not puny at all
Unless Rance is too

bushranger

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 11:07:00 AM »
I would love to see us play a few kids. Even if this does mean it looks like we are tanking.
At least some of these kids will be blooded for the next season.
And these kids might show up some of the older players with their endevours to get the ball.
So I am in favour of playing the younger ones.
And stuff what other teams think.
We are going nowhere now so what would be the difference.
Maybe kids with the hunger in their bellies night be just the ticket at this time.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 11:38:27 AM »
I want to see the future now because the present sucks!  :yep

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 07:30:30 PM »
We've used 35 players so far this season (equal most) so there's not too many others we haven't seen in the ones taking out Polly who won't play again. There's Putt, Vickery, Thomson, Hughes, Post, Gourdis (r), Silvester (r) and Gilligan (r) left. Thomson would be closest if he can get over this injury he is carrying.

After round 11 we'll be able to promote another rookie without needing someone to go onto the LTIL. Nahas is promoted for Richo so any of the others could be given a run.

Vickery you would think might get a game in the second half of the year. Apart from the televised Coburg game when he had a shocker he's been getting good reports in nearly every other game his played in recent weeks.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 10:27:38 PM »
Vickery should have played this week IMHO
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 11:03:05 PM »
Vickery should have played this week IMHO
They might want Vickery to debut at home next week in front of his family and against the shortish Bulldogs.

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 11:33:55 PM »
Yeah Infamous, I know Gourdis isn't puny.I was being ironic. It's probably only his dodgy kicking  that's keeping him from in the seniors. But I reckon the club should just bite the bullet and give him a run.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009, 12:27:38 AM »
Yeah Infamous, I know Gourdis isn't puny.I was being ironic. It's probably only his dodgy kicking  that's keeping him from in the seniors. But I reckon the club should just bite the bullet and give him a run.
They can't while he's on the rookie list

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2009, 12:48:43 AM »
2 more weeks and he can be promoted.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2009, 11:09:16 AM »

Well then I hope he plays out of his skin for the Burgers over the next two weeks and makes his rookie elevation a must.

Stripes

Ramps

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2009, 11:23:18 AM »
Id also like Gourdis to get a run, either on Wing or at Full Forward. He'll either show that he can play or he wont. We should find out either way.

Offline nahadaman

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2009, 11:27:55 AM »
Vickory is the puny one, he wont play this year and if he does he will get snapped in half. :gotigers

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2009, 01:30:17 PM »

Well then I hope he plays out of his skin for the Burgers over the next two weeks and makes his rookie elevation a must.

Stripes

I would argue (strongly) that Silvestor deserves to be promoted before Gourdis as he hhas played strong consisted footy for the entire time he's been on the rookie list. From the games I've seen him play his actually improved in areas that many were questioninig (eg his pace). We need to see if he is up to AFL standard, we aint going to see it if he is running around for Coburg

Just on this freebie rokiie elevation in a few weeks - can we only elevate the one? Or are Clubs able to rotate their rookies through e.g Elevate Slivestor for 3 weeks, then put him back on the rookie list and then elevate Browne for 3, then Gourdis or is it one player only with no option of rotating them?
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)