Author Topic: Bowden retires [merged]  (Read 20587 times)

Jackstar is back

Re: Bowden retires [merged]
« Reply #255 on: August 15, 2009, 05:57:36 PM »
Interesting the only coach that came onto the ground at the end of the game was Cambo.
Rawlings wasnt there and either were the others.
Thats poohouse

Offline Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes I was realy born in Richmond
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
« Reply #256 on: August 15, 2009, 06:08:27 PM »
Goodbye Joel and thank you. I enjoyed watching you play. Your class as a player was sometimes takes as lazyness or softness but I loved watching you cruise though packs.

A true Tiger Champion.
Here , kitty kitty. Here , kitty kitty.   AAAUGH!

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
« Reply #257 on: August 15, 2009, 06:08:57 PM »
Joel needs to go out on a personal blaze of glory now that we are definentely not going to win. I would respect him more if he did this. Find that little twirp Thomas and knock him out, then remonstrate with a few others and throw a few the way Brown Lynch and Wakelin were throwing haymakers in the 2004 Grand Final. It's not as if he's playing next week. Then he can honestly come off the ground with his head held high.

By the way () )( great assessment. :clapping

Well. he had his chance for that in the 2nd qu Tucker, when 4 players stacked on top of Kingy. Players came running from all over the ground to support him. Joel, who was standing right next to it, reached in underneath Kingy, while he still had 4 players on top of him, and grabbed the ball so he could hand it to the umpire.

That footage will be replayed over and over tomorrow, watch it, and I urge all Joel supporters to watch what he does while a team mate is getting crushed.

It is the softest thing that I have seen in Joel Bowden's career, and there has been plenty of those moments in his career.

Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine

Moi

« Reply #258 on: August 15, 2009, 06:13:41 PM »
First chapter in Joels book.

1-Being Me

"I started as a promising youngster,the only truly talented sibling of my litter.
For the first couple of seasons of my career I showed flair and impressive level of skill.
It was then i realised,i didn't have to work as hard as everybody else - i was "one of those" players!"
Unfortunately being elite attracts its critics whose motives are essentially driven by jealousy.
Being so good,it's fair to say i was a victim of such crimes.
Being bigger than the club was also a problem for me.
It's not as though i asked for it,it's just that,i guess,someone has to bear the burden of perfection.

============================================================================

Well done Joel.
Thanks for the memories!
Best of luck with the future.
 :clapping
If only the club had have done it your way

:rollin

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #259 on: August 15, 2009, 06:32:34 PM »
Joel needs to go out on a personal blaze of glory now that we are definentely not going to win. I would respect him more if he did this. Find that little twirp Thomas and knock him out, then remonstrate with a few others and throw a few the way Brown Lynch and Wakelin were throwing haymakers in the 2004 Grand Final. It's not as if he's playing next week. Then he can honestly come off the ground with his head held high.

By the way () )( great assessment. :clapping

Well. he had his chance for that in the 2nd qu Tucker, when 4 players stacked on top of Kingy. Players came running from all over the ground to support him. Joel, who was standing right next to it, reached in underneath Kingy, while he still had 4 players on top of him, and grabbed the ball so he could hand it to the umpire.

That footage will be replayed over and over tomorrow, watch it, and I urge all Joel supporters to watch what he does while a team mate is getting crushed.

It is the softest thing that I have seen in Joel Bowden's career, and there has been plenty of those moments in his career.

DC i noticed it as well, you also see Nathan Brown stand right next to Joel while its happening looking at the umpire waiting for the eventual ball up. Didn't look good at all.
Go Tigers!

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #260 on: August 15, 2009, 07:26:45 PM »
Also noticed that again Joel doesn't sweat that much.

I would have thought with a few games in the VFL on smaller ground with a slower pace he would have had to work twice as hard to get the ball hence breaking a decent sweat.

Don't want to get into this argument, all the best Joel.
Go Tigers!

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #261 on: August 15, 2009, 08:25:01 PM »
Thought it was an appropriate way for Bowden to go out of the game
Did nothing all day few sideways kicks then got a dozen disposals in the last quarter after we were down by 97 points at 3/4 time

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #262 on: August 16, 2009, 02:20:28 AM »
Very apt the way Joel's career ended.
Of course there will be others who will claim his 25 posessions were of the highest quality. Anyway it's all over now..............

Good luck

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Joel Bowden out on a sad note (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #263 on: August 16, 2009, 04:15:41 AM »
Joel Bowden out on a sad note
Jackie Epstein | August 16, 2009

IT was more like a nightmare for retiring Richmond veteran Joel Bowden but he hopes it will be remembered. If there is any good that can come from a 93-point thrashing it's the sting that goes with it.

"It's not a great result but it will perhaps make them stronger," Bowden said after the game.

"It didn't kill them so it could make them better."

They may prove to be prophetic words but, ever the optimist, Bowden is encouraged by the club's direction.

"I've always tried to do the best that I can," he said.

"In being a leader you need to have a positive influence on others as well. You can play footy but you need to also try to develop and help, and be that positive influence.

''I hope that something that I've done over the past 10 years has rubbed off on a few. And I know it has."

Bowden, 31, was playing his 265th and final game. He was flanked by wife Katie and children Alice and Charles as he walked off the MCG.

"It's not the best way to finish," he said.

"I've been pretty controlled. (Regarding the future) I'm not sure yet, some study next year, some family time and hopefully some paid employment."

The mood at last night's testimonial was perhaps blunted by the loss, but Bowden would love nothing more than to see the Tigers have success.

He was recruited from Alice Springs in the 1995 national draft under the father-son rule and leaves as a two-time best-and-fairest winner and dual All-Australian.

His father, Michael, played 59 games for the Tigers and was a member of the club's 1969 premiership side, while his brothers Sean and Patrick also played for the club.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25934586-19771,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
He might look mad as a hatter, but Bowden will be missed: Browny (Age)
« Reply #264 on: August 16, 2009, 04:17:06 AM »
He might look mad as a hatter, but Bowden will be missed
Nathan Brown | August 16, 2009

MOST footballers would know the Hollywood blockbuster Any Given Sunday and would have drawn some inspiration from the speech that an ageing Al Pacino gave his NFL team. Part of the address particularly relates to ageing footballers:

"You know, when you get old in life, things get taken from you. I mean that's … part of life. But you only learn that when you start losing stuff. You find out life's this game of inches. So is football. Because in either game, life or football, the margin for error is so small - I mean one half-a-step too late, or too early, and you don't quite make it. One half-second too slow, too fast, you don't quite catch it. The inches we need are everywhere around us."

I first watched the film at Joel Bowden's house and yesterday Joel played his 265th and final game for the Richmond Football Club. Thirty-one isn't old. Many people that age haven't even figured out what they want to do with their lives, yet as a footballer you have already had a career, grown so much, had the highest of highs and the lowest of lows, played on the biggest stages and met so many great people along the way.

I remember when my old Bulldogs captain Scott Wynd retired. He stood up in front of the boys, this mountain of a man, shed a tear, told stories and shared a laugh. But the thing that stuck in my mind was him saying: "You'll wake up one day and wonder where the last 10 years went. Make the most of it. They're the best years of your life and they fly by in an instant."

I was only 21 and couldn't fathom what he was talking about. I thought the next 10 years of my life would last forever, but here we are 10 years on and true to ''Wyndy's'' words, time flies.

Joel is Richmond through and through and whatever he turns his hand to next, he will be a success. But it's still a sobering thought to think that what he has done religiously for the last 14 years has just come to an end.

Joel can polarise people's opinions and he would be the first to admit that he is not everyone's cup of tea, but when you spend time with him you start to respect and appreciate the way he conducts his life. He's an intelligent, giving person who lives for his family. His kids are the luckiest children alive having a parent like Joel.

To play AFL you have to have a thick skin - coaches' sprays, scrutiny and teammates' ribbing are part of everyday life and ''The Bowd'' has copped plenty over the years.

One of my favourite memories was in Ireland in 2004 when Joel and I were representing Australia. A few people hadn't spent much time with Joel and might have been put slightly offside by his outspoken ways. We had just been smashed by the Irish and were required at an after-match function.

Joel rocks in with this ridiculous top hat that would have been 30 centimetres high off his head and a black cane. This infuriated a few of the coaches and selectors. One well-known All Australian selector sidled up to Joel and recommended that he remove the stupid hat. The hat stayed on all night. Joel would have influenced a lot of players he has played with and he has helped me become more understanding of people who don't see things the way I do.

He's a different cat, Joel. I get in his car and he's listening to ABC talkback, but he's one of the first blokes I love to have a laugh and a beer with. Don't be surprised one day if he's running the United Nations or some left-wing political party.

Football careers go very quickly and you need to make the most of your opportunities; 265 games, two All-Australian, two best and fairests and a person who walks away holding his head high - maybe even in a top hat. Well done, Joel.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/joel-bowden-will-be-missed/2009/08/15/1249756479986.html

Tigermonk

« Reply #265 on: August 16, 2009, 08:24:31 AM »
He only wanted to wave goodbye to the cheer squad who supported him for 14 years. He got the matchday football he can kick that around with his kids cause what l seen today from every Richmond player & coaches was Pathetic.

he got shafted by the club who cant even come out when a player retires & thank him publicly while Collingwood supporters were even clearly seen cheering him off

For not fighting Joel thats not a good sign but l suppose when a club turns thier back on you like March, Cameron & Rawlings then why should he.
if it was me out there l would have been punching them off King but not every player is a fighter. Richmond dont have many sad to say.
Hope they seen & learnt something yesterday

seen Joel leading into open many times & was clear to recieve ball & Richmond took the 2 on 1 option everytime to  turn it over. PATHETIC.
Saying Bowden dont sweat Popelord  :rollin your a effing idiot  :lol are you a trainer or something thats standing next to him checking out his sweat. your deluded effoff back to the forums you come from.

McMahon brought to club by Wallace to replace Bowden in the backline is clearly the worst footballer l have seen in my life. never hit a target. his team-mates yelling his in clear for shot on goal & kicks it on the full.  :rollin that goal he kicked after the siren against Melbourne was a mistake that the wind blew through  :rollin
He had the same shot yesterday & missed it when Collingwood players were nailing them from all round that position even their backmen Harry O'brien showed him how easy its done  :rollin

Any of you, who even have the slightest thought St-Kilda are after him or any other club for that  infact please PM me & l will give you a contact number in your area to see a shrink cause McMahon is clearly the worst l ever seen & the only person who wanted him was Wallace who left our list in a rabble. it will take 3 years to recover a list possible before even thinking to start a team.

every Richmond supporter l spoke to yesterday said they will not renew thier membership, & driving out in the car listening to talkback supporters were saying the same on radio. March your a disgrace get out of Richmond & take Cameron with you

Jackstar is back

« Reply #266 on: August 16, 2009, 08:30:26 AM »
He only wanted to wave goodbye to the cheer squad who supported him for 14 years. He got the matchday football he can kick that around with his kids cause what l seen today from every Richmond player & coaches was Pathetic.

he got shafted by the club who cant even come out when a player retires & thank him publicly while Collingwood supporters were even clearly seen cheering him off

For not fighting Joel thats not a good sign but l suppose when a club turns thier back on you like March, Cameron & Rawlings then why should he.
if it was me out there l would have been punching them off King but not every player is a fighter. Richmond dont have many sad to say.

seen Joel leading into open many times & was clear to recieve ball & Richmond took the 2 on 1 option everytime to  turn it over. PATHETIC.
Saying Bowden dont sweat Popelord  :rollin your a effing idiot  :lol are you a trainer or something thats standing next to him checking out his sweat. your deluded effoff back to the forums you come from.

McMahon brought to club by Wallace to replace Bowden in the backline is clearly the worst footballer l have seen in my life. never hit a target. his team-mates yelling his in clear for shot on goal & kicks it on the full.  :rollin that goal he kicked after the siren against Melbourne was a mistake that the wind blew through  :rollin

Any of you, who even have the slightest thought St-Kilda are after him or any other club for that  infact please PM me & l will give you a contact number in your area to see a shrink cause McMahon is clearly the worst l ever seen & the only person who wanted him was Wallace who left our list in a rabble. it will take 3 years to recover a list possible before even thinking to start a team.

every Richmond supporter l spoke to yesterday said they will not renew thier membership, & driving out in the car listening to talkback supporters were saying the same on radio. March your a disgrace get out of Richmond & take Cameron with you

Monk.
I actually agree with you.
I wouldnt think March or Cameron have much idea.
As for Cameron, I still havent got over his press  conference with Chris Newman earlier this year standing in front of the Jack Dyer statute with him telling liars :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead
Interesting to see membership numbers next year, although this years are "'clouded"" due to Cousins and Sheedys input

Tigermonk

« Reply #267 on: August 16, 2009, 08:34:48 AM »

Monk.
I actually agree with you.
I wouldnt think March or Cameron have much idea.
As for Cameron, I still havent got over his press  conference with Chris Newman earlier this year standing in front of the Jack Dyer statute with him telling liars :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead
Interesting to see membership numbers next year, although this years are "'clouded"" due to Cousins and Sheedys input

March is not a very good buisness man  ;D he knows nothing about football  ;D ? did he ever play football  ;D

TigerTimeII

« Reply #268 on: August 16, 2009, 10:50:17 AM »
what a disgusting effort yesterday
how dare those boys get up today and look joel in th eeye
and all you supporters who continually bag joel, you can all stuff off and rot in hell, if there is such a thing

jade organises a gift for that fhead micky o last week, yet thins is what he offers joel

fu jade , man with a girls name

Tigermonk

« Reply #269 on: August 16, 2009, 10:53:18 AM »
what a disgusting effort yesterday
how dare those boys get up today and look joel in th eeye
and all you supporters who continually bag joel, you can all eff off and rot in hell, if there is such a thing

jade organises a gift for that fhead micky o last week, yet thins is what he offers joel

fu jade , man with a girls name

haha we were saying that yesterday at the footy,  Jade is a girls name same as my daughters friend  ;D he coaching like a girl would. has no idea