Author Topic: Bowden retires [merged]  (Read 20680 times)

Tigermonk

Re: All over for Joel / Bowden to retire according to Hutchy
« Reply #150 on: August 10, 2009, 08:06:36 AM »

you have absolutely no idea you fool.

worst turnovers in the whole team do you actually go to games?? Bowden is up there with the best 10% of players in our team in terms of disposal make no mistake about that.
Stop being such a cock and selectively quoting my posts. I said he manages to pull off SOME of the worst turnovers in the team. When he's all by himself, not under pressure and kicks straight down the throat of an unmanned opponent, I would say that's one of the worst turnovers in the team. Given he's kicking out of defence it means he gives it back in the most dangerous position on the ground.  He's done it enough times that it's not a random event, he's known for his brain farts.

I swear if you managed to grow even half a brain you'd be dangerous.
[/quote]

Tell me whos been doing all the great kickout turnovers since round 12 you sure cant blame Bowden to which l was replying too in your post.
Bowden is my favorite player so l defend him against gooses like you & brackets weak little Juno the keyboard basher who constantly attack him which is pathetic.
hope your standing under the superboxes next week, l will open the window & pee down on ya both.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #151 on: August 10, 2009, 12:18:04 PM »
Thats just crap what you wrote, how can you call a player average & made look good by the crap players around him.  :rollin
How many times has he put his body on the line, he stood out because his a

2 x All Australian player. thats in the top 22 selected player in all football not once but twice.  ;D If he was not good someone else would have been given his place so that effs up your theory  good & proper unless of cobehind your a Australian qualified selector but we know your not cause you hang around here.

Anyone who dont admit Bowden was a top footballer is outrages & is not a true Richmond supporter. l bet you jump around screaming when his won or safed us games  :banghead

I did jump around cheering when he won us those games but it was those moments of brilliance that secured him a place on the list this year when he was more than likely going to be moved on last year otherwise. He has been dropped multiple times over the last two years mainly due to making room for the younger defenders to find their way but also because he is very unaccountable as a defender.

Coaches stopped concerning themselves with him claiming the ball because they knew he would slow down the play and not hurt them with his disposal. Teams like Collingwood played off him and instructed there players to favour Bowdens opponents because he would usually be floating and trying to play the loose man in defense and get the easy possession. He rarely took off with the ball from HB and broke the lines instead he would stop and prop, wait until the opposition had manned up and look for the free option.

I'm sorry Tigermonk, and I mean no disrespect to you or anyone else who loved Joel, its just that I feel given his age and his playing style, it is in our best interests to find new backmen and new leaders to help with our culture problem.

Like you though I will be cheering him on come Saturday and hope he kicks the winning goal against the Woobles! :gotigers

Stripes

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #152 on: August 10, 2009, 12:35:19 PM »
exactly.

i cant believe people would rather see a hack like Mclovin, or even King or Edwards in the team ahead of Bowden.

I would prefer Edwards over Bowden at the moment. Not because he is a better player currently, but because he is showing that he has the potential to be. He takes on the opposition from half back and breaks the lines. He has created a lot of goals for us this way and last weeks game was exceptional. Sure he still makes inexperienced mistakes like being caught attempting to dodge around the wrong opponent from time to time but then again so did Bling and now he is one of our best every week.

King will never have the talent of Bowden but he surpasses him with spirit, fire and heart. He will never be much more than a tagger but he has age on his side and the right attitude we are desperate for at the moment.

McMahon...is a good kick but you are probably right, he should not be getting a game in terms of ability over Joel. His age is his greatest strength compared to Bowden.

Stripes

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #153 on: August 10, 2009, 12:56:43 PM »

Joel deserves a send off game for certain but claiming he deserves a spot in our current team is far too short sighted and unproductive.

Short-sighted? What are you, some kind of self professed visionary who can look down on anyone not subscribing to your opinion?  :wallywink

How do you explain away the fact that Joel was 2nd in net metres gained in the competition when dropped when you claim sideways chipping by him? Or does your opinion override statistical fact as well?

Thanks for the memories Joel but now its time to build a team to finally give us some @#$%& success!!

Lots of good players, even some great ones (one a triple Brownlow medallist), have played in crap teams for no success. It wasn't their fault.

Self professed visionary hey.....I see your future fishy and its a bit on the nose. Don't get hooked or lie next to any welcoming chips! ;)

My Short-sighted comment refers to his playing future. Joel is on the wrong side of thirty and at the end of his career. If we play him when we are no longer a chance to play for finals wouldn't this be counter productive? Would it not serve us to bring into the side a player who would benefit from the experience and play beyond this season?

In terms of looking down on people who don't agree with me - I never belittle people on this forum for their opinion, I never swear/rant/name call and I never proclaim that my opinion is the only valid one to have. People can write what they like and how they like it but I find it strange that you say I 'look down on people'.

I've heard your claim that Joel was the 2nd best for 'meters gained' in the league but, as I commented then, that statistic took into account meters gained across goal as well towards your forwardline. So switches in play are credited and Joel's habit of switching from one side of the defensive 50 to the next and frequently back again certainly would have boasted these figures.

'Does your opinion over-ride statistic evidence as well' - nice comment, if it was relevant or true, but statistics need to be clarified as I have done for you above. Some stats are a waste of time.

Finally you talk about crap teams sometimes having Brownlow medalists and you are right but you could argue they stood out under such conditions. Joel also stood out as much for his possession count as his role in the team. I could probably argue in a better team a backman such as himself would not have secured the ball anywhere near as much and have other players taking the responsibility to move the ball forward.

Stripes

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #154 on: August 10, 2009, 01:02:00 PM »
Bowden was an average player who was made to look good by the poor players around him for far too long. He lead our backline to be unaccountable, sidewards chippers who would always slow the ball up and look for an uncontested option rather than risk moving the ball forward and turning it over. Bowden was a beautiful kick and level headed but he played in a style that was better suited to the past than to the future.

If that mean giving a younger player a chance to develop, even if they might not be as good now, then I would do that every day of the year given our current position as a club. Joel deserves a send off game for certain but claiming he deserves a spot in our current team is far too short sighted and unproductive.

Thanks for the memories Joel but now its time to build a team to finally give us some @#$%& success!!

Stripes

This would be the worst post ever that I have read, and boy I have read some crap on this website
Joel an average player :banghead
You have no idea what so ever.  Do you actually go to the games?   ::)

Sorry to disappoint you Jack. The worst post you have ever read... well that's saying something. ;)

I'm sorry to say too that most weeks I do go to games but how this gives me a better idea than someone who doesn't I'm not 100% clear on. Perhaps we are all seeing things from different perspectives based on our viewing at the time which would mean you and me should have the same opinion.

Joel is finished now regardless of what we personally think so lets just cheer him on against the Pies and wish his every success in the future.

Stripes

Offline 2JD

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #155 on: August 10, 2009, 01:07:07 PM »
Thats just crap what you wrote, how can you call a player average & made look good by the crap players around him.  :rollin
How many times has he put his body on the line, he stood out because his a

2 x All Australian player. thats in the top 22 selected player in all football not once but twice.  ;D If he was not good someone else would have been given his place so that effs up your theory  good & proper unless of cobehind your a Australian qualified selector but we know your not cause you hang around here.

Anyone who dont admit Bowden was a top footballer is outrages & is not a true Richmond supporter. l bet you jump around screaming when his won or safed us games  :banghead

I did jump around cheering when he won us those games but it was those moments of brilliance that secured him a place on the list this year when he was more than likely going to be moved on last year otherwise. He has been dropped multiple times over the last two years mainly due to making room for the younger defenders to find their way but also because he is very unaccountable as a defender.

Coaches stopped concerning themselves with him claiming the ball because they knew he would slow down the play and not hurt them with his disposal. Teams like Collingwood played off him and instructed there players to favour Bowdens opponents because he would usually be floating and trying to play the loose man in defense and get the easy possession. He rarely took off with the ball from HB and broke the lines instead he would stop and prop, wait until the opposition had manned up and look for the free option.

I'm sorry Tigermonk, and I mean no disrespect to you or anyone else who loved Joel, its just that I feel given his age and his playing style, it is in our best interests to find new backmen and new leaders to help with our culture problem.

Like you though I will be cheering him on come Saturday and hope he kicks the winning goal against the Woobles! :gotigers

Stripes

Totally agree with this comment, I love Joel but his time has come. Thanks for  your loyalty and work ethic and good luck to you whatever you choose to do, whether it be football related or under privileged kids :clapping

Jackstar is back

« Reply #156 on: August 10, 2009, 01:30:29 PM »
Bowden was an average player who was made to look good by the poor players around him for far too long. He lead our backline to be unaccountable, sidewards chippers who would always slow the ball up and look for an uncontested option rather than risk moving the ball forward and turning it over. Bowden was a beautiful kick and level headed but he played in a style that was better suited to the past than to the future.

If that mean giving a younger player a chance to develop, even if they might not be as good now, then I would do that every day of the year given our current position as a club. Joel deserves a send off game for certain but claiming he deserves a spot in our current team is far too short sighted and unproductive.

Stripes

This would be the worst post ever that I have read, and boy I have read some crap on this website

Sorry to disappoint you Jack. The worst post you have ever read... well that's saying something. ;)

I'm sorry to say too that most weeks I do go to games but how this gives me a better idea than someone who doesn't I'm not 100% clear on. Perhaps we are all seeing things from different perspectives based on our viewing at the time which would mean you and me should have the same opinion.

Joel is finished now regardless of what we personally think so lets just cheer him on against the Pies and wish his every success in the future.

Stripes

SHOULD of been played in a different role this year. Either up forward or through the corridor as possibly a half forward playing high.
Never mind. No vision down at Richmond :banghead :banghead

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #157 on: August 10, 2009, 01:33:26 PM »

Some would say the vision is playing the kids to allow them to develop as a unit together as their bodies and abilities mature.

Tigermonk

« Reply #158 on: August 10, 2009, 01:56:41 PM »

McMahon...is a good kick but you are probably right, he should not be getting a game in terms of ability over Joel. His age is his greatest strength compared to Bowden.

Stripes

OMFG stripe have you been watching the last 2 games lately. McMuffin could not hit a 1 metre wide tree that standing still.  :lol
His the worst disposal by foot in the club if not the AFL. he kicks shorter than Joel & misses everytime.  :lol
Lucky l'm not coach down at Tigerland  ;D l would order the players at training to pick him up & carry him to the dumpster & close the lid  ;D :lol

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #159 on: August 10, 2009, 05:40:05 PM »

Stripes

Stripes

SHOULD of been played in a different role this year. Either up forward or through the corridor as possibly a half forward playing high.
They tried that last year, after getting dropped to Coburg. He wasn't very good, certainly didn't do the team things and added no defensive pressure in the forward line. Given he's a veteran, his output was very average.

Tigermonk

« Reply #160 on: August 10, 2009, 05:55:02 PM »

They tried that last year, after getting dropped to Coburg. He wasn't very good, certainly didn't do the team things and added no defensive pressure in the forward line. Given he's a veteran, his output was very average.

man your all stuffed up. Bowden came back last year after being dropped & played good football. His form this year was close to best in the side before he went back to help the younger players.
But the real reason why his not playing will come out when his finished. l know the reason but its not my place to say anything yet.  ;D
He should be still in the side in a half forward flank role where he can hit the main forwards up & kick goals from 50m that dud Rewoldt cant even get the distance. Who has no confidence at all & he makes me sick looking at him sometimes searching for someone to do his job & thats your future dud. Another Richo type who misses easy set shots & barks orders like his a champion FF but he will be forever a dud

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
« Reply #161 on: August 10, 2009, 06:01:17 PM »
I like sitting in the outer, HFF at the Punt Road end.

Joel Bowden made some shocking mistakes right in front of me, I can forgive that. What I wont forgive is some of the squib efforts that he put in right before my very eyes. Especially the few games before he was infamously dropped from the line up.

Despite the fact that he played a blinder of a season of a half after he got dropped, I don't think he ever 'got it' in terms of putting your body on the line, when it's your turn. And anyone who has played the game, especially Tigermonk, should know, when it's your turn, it's your turn. You take the hit for the team.

Except for the season and a half I just mentioned, Joel wouldn't take his turn. He thought that was a job for the lesser skilled players such as Andrew Kellaway. Newsflash to all current Richmond players, everyone has to take their hit, everyone has to tackle hard. No exceptions, and Joel thought he was one.

And Stripes is right- teams were deliberately leaving him alone, the only thing Joel could achieve standing by himself on a HBF was massive dreamteam scores.
Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
« Reply #162 on: August 10, 2009, 06:09:34 PM »
There's one guy who sits in the same area, used to call him "Halfway Bowden"

When the ball was in defence, and the defender was red hot, Bowden wouldn't run up to help the player in trouble, instead, he would 'release himself' by just running off 15 metres expecting an easy mark or handball receive, instead the defender, not getting any help, would have to kick it 30 metres to no one, so this supporter always accused him of being halfway between where the ball was and where it was going.

And he was right, too many times Bowden ran off looking for the easy stat.
Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine

Tigermonk

« Reply #163 on: August 10, 2009, 06:10:02 PM »
Bowden put his body on the line every game he played. Heard it all before can remember Joel got hit about 7 times one game & was clearly in the best players & some nut rang 3aw & said Bowden does not put his body on the line & played crap that day.
Robert Walls shot him down like the idiot he was & cut the caller off saying he was one of the biggest idiots who ever rang the station.  ;D

l got tapes of all games Bowden was in & can tell you he put his body on the line often
He played the outside player cause that is what he was told to do. McMahon was recruited to take the same role.
Anyone who beats Johnthan Brown by putting his body on the line should get respect from Richmond supporters

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Bowden on SEN @ 6.45pm
« Reply #164 on: August 10, 2009, 06:54:45 PM »
Joel on SEN .....

* Disappointing for the AFLPA to lose Gale but a great get by Richmond. No surprise Richmond would chase after someone with Benny's integrity and skills.

* It looks like the Collingwood game will be his last for the RFC. Spoke to the club for last 6-7 weeks about getting a farewell game. Not 100% sure yet as he's been in Mildura at his godfather's funeral.  He's hoping it's his last game and then finish with a testimonial dinner upstairs at the MCG at 7pm.

* 150-200 people he expects to turn up. Not a big one like Riccuito's who had 1500 attend his. Invited family and friends as well. Hope we win and then celebrate 14 years which is a long time in the game.

* Kouta gave Joel a big wrap and said he should be very proud of his career as he could play all over the ground - forward, mid or down back on big blokes.