Author Topic: Bowden retires [merged]  (Read 20688 times)

Jackstar is back

Re: All over for Joel / Bowden to retire according to Hutchy
« Reply #165 on: August 10, 2009, 06:57:19 PM »
Never mind. No vision down at Richmond :banghead :banghead

Some would say the vision is playing the kids to allow them to develop as a unit together as their bodies and abilities mature.

And vision is not rolling back the young players to all play behind the ball, as what happened on the weekend, they learn nothing.

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
« Reply #166 on: August 10, 2009, 07:32:43 PM »
Bowden put his body on the line every game he played.

:lol
Did he really?

Why did he get dropped then- it certainly had nothing to do with his possession count.

Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #167 on: August 10, 2009, 08:09:06 PM »
Too slow.

I will cheer him on next weekend.  :cheers

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Joel Bowden set for farewell game against Pies (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #168 on: August 10, 2009, 09:55:19 PM »
Joel Bowden set for farewell game against Pies
Julie Tullberg
August 10, 2009 07:51pm

RICHMOND defender Joel Bowden is set to play his last game for the Tigers this Saturday in the MCG clash against in-form Collingwood.

Asked whether he would consider applying for Brendan Gale's vacated role as AFL Players'
Association chief executive, Bowden told SEN said he had to play AFL footy before considering the role.

"I've got to play a couple of games before I retire, " Bowden said.

"So I'm going to concentrate on that, concentrate on my role as (AFL Players' Association) president and make sure we go through the right channels, talk to the right people and do this in the correct manner."

Bowden will celebrate his testimonial on Saturday night after the Collingwood-Richmond clash, which is likely to act as his farewell game.

Tickets to Bowden's testimonial dinner at the MCG are available from the Richmond Football Club.

"Looks like the game against Collingwood will be my last for the Richmond Football Club, " Bowden said.

"Hopefully it all goes well, that I can acquit myself well, play a good game and finish with Richmond on a high note and beat the Pies, who are playing good footy at the moment."

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25910539-19742,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
One door opens, another … (Age)
« Reply #169 on: August 11, 2009, 02:23:31 AM »
One door opens, another …
Michael Gleeson | August 11, 2009

ON SATURDAY, Brendon Gale delivered his resignation as chief executive of the AFL Players Association to his former teammate Joel Bowden, the PA's president.

Today, Bowden will announce that his playing days at Richmond are over, just as his former teammate returns. He will play his last game against Collingwood on Saturday.

''It looks like the game against Collingwood at the weekend will be my last game for the Richmond Football Club,'' Bowden, 31, said on SEN last night.

''We have been talking to the club over the last six or seven weeks about whether or not I would be able to get back in the side and about whether or not I would be able to get a farewell game. It looks fairly certain that I will against Collingwood, [but] I can't say that 100 per cent.

''I will hopefully play my final game and celebrate upstairs with my testimonial dinner. Hopefully it all goes well, I can acquit myself well, play a good game and finish with Richmond on a high note and we can beat the Pies.''

The dual All-Australian and Jack Dyer medallist has not played since round 11 despite solid form in the VFL.

Richmond has flagged for some time that Bowden would likely be given a farewell, particularly with his testimonial dinner at the MCG on Saturday night.

Originally from Northern Territory, Bowden was drafted to Punt Road under the father-son rule and has played 264 games to be ninth on the club's list of most games played. He said last night that when he left home 14 years ago to embark on his career, his father, Michael, gave him two $50 notes and wished him luck. It was $100 well spent.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/one-door-opens-another-8230/2009/08/10/1249756255924.html

Tigermonk

« Reply #170 on: August 11, 2009, 06:22:13 AM »

* Kouta gave Joel a big wrap and said he should be very proud of his career as he could play all over the ground - forward, mid or down back on big blokes.

Joel gets more respect from the enermy than his own supporters

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #171 on: August 11, 2009, 10:46:31 AM »
Joel will make a good CEO of the Players Association. Has the experience as president beneath Gale, is a confident speaker and strong personality. In some ways he was too smart to play football and his community work speaks volumes of the caliber of the guy.

I wish him every success against the wobbles and in his future.

Stripes

Tigermonk

« Reply #172 on: August 11, 2009, 11:40:39 AM »
Joel will make a good CEO of the Players Association. Has the experience as president beneath Gale, is a confident speaker and strong personality. In some ways he was too smart to play football and his community work speaks volumes of the caliber of the guy.

I wish him every success against the wobbles and in his future.

Stripes

he is a smart bloke thats why his a teacher  ;D  :thumbsup

Tigermonk

« Reply #173 on: August 11, 2009, 05:54:21 PM »
LMFAO Rawlings saying his bringing back Simmonds & Bowden to add muscle & experience.
Bring back the older players cause he found out the youngsters cant do what is required  :rollin so call the old troops to the front line  ;D staggering coaching

coach Jade  :chuck :chuck :chuck :chuck :jump

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #174 on: August 11, 2009, 06:51:37 PM »
LMFAO Rawlings saying his bringing back Simmonds & Bowden to add muscle & experience.
Bring back the older players cause he found out the youngsters cant do what is required  :rollin so call the old troops to the front line  ;D staggering coaching
Try none of the above
Bringing the older players back to say goodbye

Jackstar is back

« Reply #175 on: August 11, 2009, 07:23:23 PM »
Try none of the above

Infamy do actually go the games ???? ::)
We were flogged in the ruck last week,.
Watching McGauane the past 2 weeks, I know who i rather have down back , Joel :banghead

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #176 on: August 11, 2009, 07:36:34 PM »

coach Jade  :chuck :chuck :chuck :chuck :jump

There is only one person making me  :chuck and it ain't Jade.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #177 on: August 11, 2009, 07:46:08 PM »
Try none of the above

Watching McGauane the past 2 weeks, I know who i rather have down back , Joel :banghead
Yes I go to the games, not all of them as I work some weekends on projects, but those I can do yes
Not sure what it has to do with anything though
Jolly and Goodes dominate most teams ruck divisions, going up against a tired Graham & 18 year old Vickery is hardly an even contest
As for Bowden over McGuane, firstly you'd probably rather Bowden over GAJ or Judd, secondly Bowden has one week left in the game, McGuane has 8-10 years. I know who I'd rather have playing.

Jackstar is back

« Reply #178 on: August 11, 2009, 08:17:21 PM »
Try none of the above

Yes I go to the games, not all of them as I work some weekends on projects, but those I can do yes
Not sure what it has to do with anything though
Jolly and Goodes dominate most teams ruck divisions, going up against a tired Graham & 18 year old Vickery is hardly an even contest
As for Bowden over McGuane, firstly you'd probably rather Bowden over GAJ or Judd, secondly Bowden has one week left in the game, McGuane has 8-10 years. I know who I'd rather have playing.

Well BRAIN SURGEON, why the eff wouldnt you bring Simmons in last week to help Vickery out ? . :banghead :banghead :banghead
And we had Post on Goodes for a quarter last week :banghead :banghead :banghead
If thats good coaching and developing young players,  :banghead :banghead

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #179 on: August 11, 2009, 08:33:45 PM »
Because we are going up against Cameron Wood and maybe an underdone Josh Fraser. Hardly the same. I do expect Simmo to play, but not because we need the support in the ruck. He's been a better forward at Coburg this year anyway.