Author Topic: Where is the list at?  (Read 12994 times)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Where is the list at?
« Reply #105 on: August 27, 2009, 07:07:40 AM »
Did Floey rape your pet goat or what WP, you really wan't him traded don't you and for no reason, Hardwick has already said we have a good midfield and that includes Foley!! He is our best midfielder and has been for a while until a few niggling injuries, just remember he caried this midfield while the likes of Cotch, Lids, Edwards, Jackson and Tuck decided to help and when Cog's was out.

I bet you were not trying to trade him when he made his trade mark runs out of the middle, ran to 40 and slotted it, as he did many times.

Foley is going no ware, I agree with the list Infamy presented but more so MT's as they are all hacks, add maybe Polo and Edwards and that would do me nice.

I have explained my thoughts as to why I would look at trading Foley

And I will explain it one more time

Reality is to get decent picks you need to trade something decent. Foley is considered by the AFL community to be a good player, so he has currency so he is one of a very few I see on our list that has currency

Our mid field is the storngest part our list. What the last 6-7 weeks has shown without Foley in it is that with the likes of Cousins, Deledio, Cotchin even Jackson he hasn't been missed (IMO) as much as I think he would have been say 12 months ago.

So the question is: would trading Foley do major damage to our mid field stocks if he was traded. Answer for me is no.

Have I forgotten the 40 metre runs and subsequent goals?

No I haven't but I have also noticed that teams have worked him out, he gets caught alot more with the ball and whether you and others want to admit it or not his disposal by foot in particular at times is very poor (granted he isn't alone there). Again my opinion but I don't think he was having that great of a season, actually I thought he was having a failry average season

They are my reasons whether you agree or not, they are still reasons. But seeing they've extended his contract it now a mute point isn't it

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #106 on: August 27, 2009, 09:31:32 AM »
I'd still rather trade Newman & Tuck instead
Both are older players, Newman plays a role that could be filled by a youngster and unless we play Tuck as a forward, I'd rather keep him out of the midfield.
Foley is a brilliant clearance player and we need to make our midfield stronger, getting a kid to take Foleys spot would take 4 years to get him up to Foley's level, if he ever gets there at all. I'd rather add players to our young midfielders than take them away.

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #107 on: August 27, 2009, 11:15:14 AM »
So Infamy if Melbourne came knocking at our door offering pick # 1 for Foley you would knock it back???

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #108 on: August 27, 2009, 11:18:13 AM »
So Infamy if Melbourne came knocking at our door offering pick # 1 for Foley you would knock it back???
Of course not, but how about we try for a realistic hypothetical?

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #109 on: August 27, 2009, 12:37:25 PM »

Thats a really clever question

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Richmond learns lessons from history (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #110 on: August 27, 2009, 12:55:43 PM »
Richmond learns lessons from history
Jon Ralph | August 27, 2009

Richmond must recruit via the draft, and it must go backwards before it goes forward. And it will.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25986889-19742,00.html

Outsiders, particularly the media, make these type of statements without any knowledge of our playing list and more importantly our weekly team. Our current form and any semblance of success we have had this year has not been on the back of the efforts of our aging senior players or 3rd tier toilers. It has been on the back of our younger players and trialling our recruits.

I find it an ignorant statement to say we will go backwards next year because No 1 we are currently sitting in 15th position, No 2 any delisting/retirements/trades we make will not take away any crucial performers and No 3 if anything we will improve on the back of the development of our younger players, new game plan and coach.

I'm certain we will be no premiership contender next year but to say we will go backwards by culling our list of deadwood is uninformed and ignorant.

Stripes

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #111 on: August 27, 2009, 01:03:30 PM »

My take was that if a North, Sydney or perhaps and Adelaide offered their first round pick (they are late 1st round oicks) for Foley I'd say we would be crazy to knock it back.

Or alternatively if Melbourne offered their 2nd round pick (which will be around 20 odd I think) and a decent young player than I'd be saying we need to look at that too

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #112 on: August 27, 2009, 01:08:39 PM »
Sorry but I don't think a late first rounder is worth it for Foley
He's a state representative midfielder and a known quantity, giving him up for the 16-20th best junior in a depleted draft is not a good trade.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #113 on: August 27, 2009, 01:15:19 PM »
He's a state representative midfielder and a known quantity, giving him up for the 16-20th best junior in a depleted draft is not a good trade.

I suppose it all comes down to (a) what you get in the draft and (b) how highly oenn rates Foley doesn't it?

If it meant another Cotchin or a Rich or Dangerfield - it would just seems like a no brainer to me

But Infamy we can agree to disagree of course  :thumbsup

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #114 on: August 27, 2009, 01:23:55 PM »

Why isn't it realistic?? If Lids was on the open market and with Melbourne having picks 1 and 2 why wouldn't they at least ask? They would be basically trading untried Scully for ready to go Deledio who has 10/12 years left in him. They then use pick 2 on Butcher or Trengrove

Having PSD #1 pick wont help them get Deledio as Richmond would get a deal done with another club

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #115 on: August 27, 2009, 01:24:37 PM »

I suppose it all comes down to (a) what you get in the draft and (b) how highly oenn rates Foley doesn't it?

If it meant another Cotchin or a Rich or Dangerfield - it would just seems like a no brainer to me

But Infamy we can agree to disagree of course  :thumbsup
WP, I agree we can get rid of Foley, but I feel doing it this season is stupid! We should look to offload players like Tuck this season. If we are to offload Foley, it has to be at the end of next season to the GC17 and in return we will see a nice high draft pick due to his age and finishings in the B&F!

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #116 on: August 27, 2009, 01:31:48 PM »
I just think the last month has demonstrated how much we have missed Foley.

Im glad he has been resigned
Unleash the tornado

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #117 on: August 27, 2009, 02:51:21 PM »

Thats a really clever question

No it is not.

For there is little to no chance of pick #1 for Foley.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #118 on: August 27, 2009, 03:04:19 PM »
Right now the list is on its way to Perth to play W Coast.

Beyond tomorrow night at about 11 pm EDT some will be at the pub hamming it up others will be on a plane flying back and I am hoping

Newman, Tuck, Schulz, McMahon are on the trade table. I wish the latter two were gone but alas.

Raines
Simmonds
Brown
Pettifer
Cogs
Patto
JON
Potentially have 9-12 players gawn from this years senior list. That's what I am hoping for with regards to our list.

I am certain Damien will not trade picks for players rather trade some players for picks and use those picks to draft astutely and get what we need to give us a realistic crack at that 11th Premiership Damien was alluding to.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Jon Ralph's Richmond list assessment (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #119 on: August 27, 2009, 03:07:40 PM »
Jon Ralph's Richmond list assessment
August 27, 2009 09:45am

NEW Tigers coach Damien Hardwick faces some tough choices when it comes to the Richmond list. We take a look at who's in the firing line. At his first press conference, Hardwick quoted John Kennedy, saying there's no sentiment in football. That may be bad news for several Tigers.

Here's Jon Ralph's assessment of how each Tiger rates.

KEEP
Brett Deledio, Trent Cotchin, Matthew Richardson, Ben Cousins, Andrew Collins, Daniel Connors, Shane Edwards, Jayden Post, Richard Tambling, Nathan Foley, Matt White, Tyrone Vickery, Angus Graham, Daniel Jackson, Luke McGuane, Kelvin Moore, Mitch Morton, Chris Newman, Dean Polo, Alex Rance, Jack Riewoldt, Will Thursfield, Robin Nahas, Andrew Browne

GONE
Joel Bowden - Retired
Kane Johnson - Retired
Kayne Pettifer - A knee reco last year and injured again.
Nathan Brown - Groin problems have hurt his chances of another year.
Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls - Just 13 games in four years for the 2005 No.8 draft pick.
Adam Pattison - A No.16 pick in 2004, he has played just eight games in '09.

SHAKY
Andrew Raines - Still has potential from half-back.
Mark Coughlan - His hard-headed approach might save him.
Tom Hislop - Essendon discard has considerable limitations.
Cleve Hughes - A beautiful kick, but just six games since the start of last year.
Jake King - Has a contract, but is he in their next premiership side?
Jordan McMahon - Best result would be trading him to St Kilda for a late pick.
Graham Polak - Might stay, but does he have an upside?
Dean Putt - Hasn't come close so far.
Troy Simmonds - Insurance only.
Jay Schulz - Has a contract for next year. The Tigers would trade him for virtually nothing.
Adam Thomson - Has a contract, but why did they trade for him in the first place? Mystifying.
Shane Tuck - In Hardwick's mould. Surely he will keep him.
Jarrod Silvester - Future unknown.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25988252-19742,00.html