Author Topic: Hardwick named Tigers coach  (Read 9724 times)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Hardwick named Tigers coach / official announcement at 10.30am Wed
« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2009, 01:14:56 PM »
I have to say, remembering I was not sold on him that I was very impressed with what he had to say

there were 3 things during the press conference that really impressed me and are important to me

1/ Was the president saying that Hardwick clearly wanted to coach the RFC as opposed to just wanting to be a senior coach. They way Hardwick spoke it came across that way

2/ That one of Hardwick's key rules is a TEAM FIRST MENTALITY - Hell-lay-loo-ya I say

3/ That he sees a RFC jumper now and while he is there that jumper wont be thrown on the floor, which I took to mean that will respect our great jumper (which = club) - double Hell-lay-loo-ya I say

He's talked the talk now obviously he will have to walk the walk but for now alot of the doubts I had have been addressed

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2009, 02:28:22 PM »
Full conference now up on SEN's sportsentral....

http://podsentral.com/node/2303

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2009, 02:38:54 PM »
I have to say, remembering I was not sold on him that I was very impressed with what he had to say

there were 3 things during the press conference that really impressed me and are important to me

1/ Was the president saying that Hardwick clearly wanted to coach the RFC as opposed to just wanting to be a senior coach. They way Hardwick spoke it came across that way

2/ That one of Hardwick's key rules is a TEAM FIRST MENTALITY - Hell-lay-loo-ya I say

3/ That he sees a RFC jumper now and while he is there that jumper wont be thrown on the floor, which I took to mean that will respect our great jumper (which = club) - double Hell-lay-loo-ya I say

He's talked the talk now obviously he will have to walk the walk but for now alot of the doubts I had have been addressed

yep they stick in my mind to, in addition to saying the cululture is the BEST until proved otherwise...good balnce aproach...sounds like a real footy person...without the cliches or the sugarcoated spin...good start...tommy hafey would be so proud :thumbsup
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2009, 03:08:32 PM »
Very positive stuff from Hardwick.

When asked what he thought about Richmond as a player he could have laid into the club as many other new coaches have.

"We have the best culture in the AFL until I see otherwise"

Clean slate for everyone. No negativity. Well done Hardwick.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #66 on: August 26, 2009, 03:15:26 PM »
Interesting he agreed with Mike that hard players doesn't necessarily make hard coaches and mentioned his coaching depends the "recruiting model" a couple of times. Obviously something he learnt at Hawthorn from Pelchen's model. Footy keeps changing and evolving and you need to keep changing personnel to keep up with that evolution. Seems there'll be a few nervous players who no longer suit footy as it is now.

LOL at the woman standing with Hardwick outside the door in those pics telling the media "and all you lot leave him alone"  :lol. Well said :thumbsup.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Hard by name and harder by nature (RFC)
« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2009, 05:54:26 PM »
Hard by name and harder by nature
By Mic Cullen Wed 26 August, 2009

SOME people mellow with time – Damien Hardwick doesn't appear to be one of them.

The new Tigers coach forged a 207-game career, with premierships at two clubs, on the back of being one of the hardest and most ruthless defenders in the game, and he's bringing that to Punt Rd.

"If blokes aren't competitive, or they haven't got a strong determination to succeed, they won't be coming to this footy club."

That was one quote.

"I love the sides that I've been involved with, because they are tough and ruthless.

"At the end of the day, my number-one team rule is 'win the hard-ball when it's your turn'.

"If your players do that, you're a fair chance you're going to be on top more times than down below, so I hope to bring that to the Richmond footy club.

"But the players have got to find it with in themselves – if they're not competitive, I reckon they'll find themselves very quickly out the door."

That was another.

Club president Gary March said leadership and teaching ability were a couple of the things that impressed the selection panel about Hardwick, and the 37-year-old said he had strong ideas on what needed to be done.

"Every club I've gone to has had a great team-first culture, and that's something I believe very strongly in," he said.

"I know it's easy to say but it's not easy to live, but I think I can deliver a blueprint for success, that's going to take the Richmond Football Club to their 11th premiership in the not-too-distant future.

"I want to give the players every opportunity, when they come to this club, to strive to be better players.

"If a player is going to leave this club, I want them to say they've had every opportunity to improve as a player, and they've actually improved not only on-field but off-field.

"So from that point of view, if I improve the list 10 per cent every year, we're going to get to where we need to go relatively quickly."

Hardwick said the time was right for him to step up to a senior role.

"I just want to be a senior coach now – I think I'm ready to coach and I think I'm ready to lead.

"More importantly, I think it's an outstanding footy club just teetering on the edge.

"With the right culture we can strive for great things.

"There are some similar traits here as when I first arrived at Hawthorn, and there's no doubt that will hold me in good stead."

The Richmond fans are notoriously fickle and extreme, either loving or hating, but Hardwick said he expected them to get on board.

"I don't think you can harness passion," he said.

"Our supporters, they are a passionate bunch, they love the Richmond Football Club, and their hearts are in the right place.

"I think as long as we can show them a plan, a blueprint for success, then they'll be riding with us all the way.

"There's going to be some ups and downs, there's no doubt about that, but at the end of the day, if they can see the way we're headed, I think they'll be happy to come along for the ride."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/83534/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Hardwick on SEN @ 5.45pm
« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2009, 05:57:20 PM »
Hardwick on SEN with Ox and Francis

* He thinks his experience at 3 clubs which had success provides him with the blueprint for success. He might not finish the process but he wants to start it.

* List - Haven't made any decisions so far. Next week start that process with Cameron. Get the inside word from them on who's worth staying and going.

* Assistants - sit down with current assistant and see who is worth going forward with and who share the same principles. Hardwick sat down the Cambo today and thinks he is very good. Next week will make decisions on assistants.

* Plenty of work to do no doubt but as long as we stick to the process and people can see we are moving forward then we'll be right.

* Richmond job was his No.1 priority compared to the other offers.

* Two fold improvement:
1) development - wants 10% increase in ability in each player each year.
2) recruitment - has faith in the recruiting team. Find gems along the way.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2009, 06:00:12 PM »
Very impressive press conference by the Hard Man!!  :clapping :clapping :clapping Welcome to Tigerland Damien.  :thumbsup :thumbsup

Really liked his no nonsense and intelligent responses.  :thumbsup

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2009, 06:09:25 PM »
Hardwick now on 3aw

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Hardwick on 3aw @ 6.10pm
« Reply #71 on: August 26, 2009, 06:22:16 PM »
Hardwick on 3aw with Healy and Russell @ 6.10pm

* Very happy the Board has given him the opportunity. It'll be a bumpy road but if we stick to the process we'll be fine.

* List - Cameron will be away in perth this week so we'll wait till next. Always a tough job but we'll make decisions to take the list forward.

* You need to stick with a gameplan that you believe will perform on the last day in September. A gameplan that will stand up in finals footy. Look at Brisbane, Hawthorn, etc premiership sides - they stuck to their gameplan and stood up in finals. You need players that will perform that gameplan.

* Will always be looking for the next big thing and always keep learning. Going overseas (learning from other codes and organisation etc). Something he learnt from Clarkson.

* Richo - next week sit down with him, Cameron and the meds. Russell replied that it sounds that Richo is safe if he can show his body can stand up. Hardwick said that's yet to be seen and will discuss it next week as he said.

* Slightly compromised draft this year and severely next year. Very lucky to have Cameron running that side of things and he's very astute. He'll be taking a lot of advice from him.

* Put the plan in place and stick to that plan and despite a few bumps along the way we'll get there (premiership).

* There's a couple of people he'd like to bring to Punt Rd. He'll speak to them next week. Impressed by Cambo as he told SEN.

Whispers says we may poach Andrew Russell and Peter Burge from Hawthorn (basically their fitness staff). Hardwick said he's got Clarkson over at his place so hopefully he didn't hear that lol.

* Jade has done a very good job playing the youngsters. He's had a difficult job to do and Hardwick appreciates what he has done.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #72 on: August 26, 2009, 06:42:02 PM »
Well Mike Sheahan liked Hardwick and thought he was very impressive today. Positive, forthright when needed to, and a touch of humour thrown in which he hasn't seen from Damien before. We might not see that humour too much from now on but he hopes DH sees how much he gains from being himself.

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Hardwick on SEN @ 5.45pm
« Reply #73 on: August 26, 2009, 06:57:11 PM »

* He thinks his experience at 3 clubs which had success provides him with the blueprint for success. He might not finish the process but he wants to start it.

* Plenty of work to do no doubt but as long as we stick to the process and people can see we are moving forward then we'll be right.

* Very happy the Board has given him the opportunity. It'll be a bumpy road but if we stick to the process we'll be fine.

Looks like we're gonna be hearing a lot more about processes!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Hardwick on 3aw @ 6.10pm
« Reply #74 on: August 26, 2009, 07:09:40 PM »
* You need to stick with a gameplan that you believe will perform on the last Saturday in September. A gameplan that will stand up in finals footy. Look at Brisbane, Hawthorn, etc premiership sides - they stuck to their gameplan and stood up in finals. You need players that will perform that gameplan.
Interesting Hardwick said you need players capable of playing the gameplan rather than coming up with a gameplan to fit the players. Right now we don't have a list capable of playing a finals gameplan. We're too small and of course lack accountability and skills. If he wants a group that will play the sort of footy he wants he's going to have to heavily turnover the list.

Good on him for thanking Rawlings. Jade has helped accelerate the judging of the list before Hardwick arrived so Damien doesn't have to waste time in his first year analysing the list.