Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 904374 times)

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Richmond should play Dustin Martin deep in attack: David King (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #3450 on: April 26, 2014, 07:34:13 PM »
i reckon what gets missed here and needs to be asked ,  is martin needed across hb ???  do we already have good options???

to me the answers are no martin is not needed across hb because we do have good options.

if we are looking for good users coming out use ellis. use deledio we use vlastuin hes a very good kick and hes a damn good decision maker. you want more grunt use conca across hb. we could try helbig there and ffs both dea and mcintosh some time this yr will need to be given games there. finally there is a very good and  wise option to use lennon in his formative yr across h/b.
we have a bloke capable of kicking probably 40 45 even 50   goals a yr and give good service in the midfield while at it, thats   more than any other option and we want to play him back when there are numerous options  to play back there. go figure.

At least you are trying to look at it in more than a superficial manner, and the question about do we need him accross half back is a fair one, although I'm not so convinced the answer is no.

I look at it another way.

With the cap on rotations players have to stay on the ground more and rotate through other positions rather than go off the ground.

If we look at some of the bokes who play through the midfield at times, which ones have the assets (long accurate kicking, mainly), to provide drive off half back, which after all, is what you want off half back
Thomas?
Foley?
Jackson?
Edwards?
conca?
cotchin?
arnot?

You can only afford so many many players who are limited to either on the ball or on the bench, and there are only so many spots in the forward line. So where does each player rotate through, and when they are there, what do you do with the others?

When you look at the whole picture of where each player rotates, its not so superficial as not being able to look past glorifying the person who actually kicks the goal and taking into account the work further up the ground that provides the goal kicking opportunities in the first place.

LMAO @ those swinging off David Kings nuts just because he agrees with them. Any other time he gets bagged for being a stuff wit
I think first and foremost as a backman you have to be able to defend. Forget kicking or marking, you have to be able to defend! And Dusty is not known for his defense, he is known for his attacking footy and his penetrating kicking.
Lids is a much better all round footballer who should be used across HB. I wouldn't say that has been his toll for two years now. We have Vlastuin  and Lids that should be our HB's.
Also with rotations, if managed right can still be done successfully with the on-ballers rotating through the forwardline and then coming off for a break. The numbers are still high enough that your stars on-ballers don't have to rotate through the backline.

i dont subscibe to the idea that if someone is poor defensively you pander to that . Id rather they be forced to get out of their comfort zone and improve themselves as footballers. with the way the game is played can you afford anyone to be poor defensively?

Even forwards are expected to have a strong defensive game today. the days of the forward watching the backmen easily take the ball out of defense and rely others to do the hard work and send it in again are long gone ( at least for the good sides ).

so while you are right about defenders needing to be able to defend, every player on your team needs to be able to defend. Once the ball is between you and your goals, you become a defender.

As for dusty's strength being attacking footy and penetrating kicking, that is exactly what i want off half back. ( yeah you'd like to have it everywhere, but kicking a goal takes less skill and decision making than setting up attacks from half back)

On the rotations, im not convinced we have enough enough good, proven, footballers, those that are versatile enough, to rotate through half back, midfield and forward, to have the luxury of rotating  one of the few that are, solely forward.
Particularly when we are carrying some that you cant even rotate through the forward line, let alone through half back.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3451 on: April 26, 2014, 08:01:46 PM »
I have never seen Jeff Garlett play in the back line to improve his defensive side.  He is told to improve his defensive forward skills as a forward and if he doesn't he goes to the VFL side to learn them.

You don't have to learn to play defence in the back line.  All players are required to have defensive side to their game.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3452 on: April 26, 2014, 08:28:12 PM »
where does this need to play in defense to learn defensive skills come from?

that is not an argument of mine. what i said above was that i don't believe that just because a player is poor defensively you should base where he plays on that - dont be afraid to make him face it head on and definitely dont pander to it, The only reason i even said that was because Tone said that you should not play him at half back because he is poor defensively, which is pandering to a weakness, IMO.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3453 on: April 26, 2014, 08:58:11 PM »
where does this need to play in defense to learn defensive skills come from?

that is not an argument of mine. what i said above was that i don't believe that just because a player is poor defensively you should base where he plays on that - dont be afraid to make him face it head on and definitely dont pander to it, The only reason i even said that was because Tone said that you should not play him at half back because he is poor defensively, which is pandering to a weakness, IMO.
Back flankers are midfielders that are either young and learning midfielders or midfielders that cannot quite make it in the midfield. Your best players play in the middle or up forward.
Spoken from a past forward  :whistle :cheers

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3454 on: April 26, 2014, 10:28:26 PM »
 ;D
spose then youve worked out your arguing with a  backman.

though when i was younger there was still the attitude of putting the bad kicks down back, something i could never work out to be honest.

while the midfield is the engine room i view the half back line as the most pivotal in the ground. that's the springboard from where you set up attack from defense. its why many clubs now have defensive forwards, basically to tag dangerous half backs. it's highly unlikely king would still be playing if he hadn't of switched from the backline to forward

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #3455 on: April 27, 2014, 09:40:31 PM »
Damn this bloke escapes scrutiny for his defensive game. It's completely non existent.
One way footballer who the opposition must loving playing because he is so lazy.

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #3456 on: April 27, 2014, 09:42:45 PM »
Has peaked as an RFC footballer
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Online Lozza

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3457 on: April 27, 2014, 09:51:55 PM »
Will leave the club after his contract expires, probably already regretting hanging around. The problem with Martin is he has read too much of his own publicity when he first came on the scene and thinks the game is easier than it is. Certainly doesn't do the hard yards defensively but also doesn't seem especially creative even when he does have the ball. Simply trying to fend off opposition players works to a point but if the next disposal is off target then immediately we are on the defensive. Seems to be another player at the moment who doesn't really know what his role is, totally confused with this ridiculous theory of being played in every position on the field for experience, he'll probably be playing in the ruck against the Cats.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3458 on: April 27, 2014, 10:01:21 PM »
Can anyone explain to me why it took until the 2nd qtr for him to be moved into the centre?

No point in plonking and leaving him in the F50 if the ball isn't getting in there

Bizarre
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

tony_montana

« Reply #3459 on: April 27, 2014, 10:02:37 PM »
Wasted

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3460 on: April 27, 2014, 10:11:10 PM »
His role is to work harder when he doesn't have the ball. Wouldn't be accepted at a better club.

Online Lozza

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3461 on: April 27, 2014, 10:12:19 PM »
Would like to see footage of where the players pull a position from a lucky dip bag before each game. Martin would be saying damn i got that one last week.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #3462 on: April 27, 2014, 10:14:55 PM »
On ball & up forward - nowhere else.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #3463 on: April 27, 2014, 10:30:31 PM »
Can anyone explain to me why it took until the 2nd qtr for him to be moved into the centre?

No point in plonking and leaving him in the F50 if the ball isn't getting in there

Bizarre
The same thing will happen next week too. Hardwick does not even notice that stuff
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3464 on: April 28, 2014, 09:15:00 AM »
Why do people keep saying Dusty is a midfielder?
Isn't it apparent by now that he's not fit enough? There is a reason he gets played on the flanks.
No tank.

Please stop saying he should play on the ball. Midfielders are expected to run all day both ways.
Dusty quite simply cannot so let's stop the charade.