Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 904334 times)

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #4050 on: June 15, 2016, 06:13:32 PM »
Funny how Dustin Martin get's on the turps pre season and he gets all the support he can. If Conca was seen in McDonalds this place would go up in a fury of dud delist comments

If you are a dud u get no leeway
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #4051 on: June 15, 2016, 06:19:08 PM »
Conca has had a more charmed existence than dusty, Ffs.
Dimmer treats conca like he's the great white hope.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4052 on: June 15, 2016, 09:50:07 PM »
Funny how Dustin Martin get's on the turps pre season and he gets all the support he can. If Conca was seen in McDonalds this place would go up in a fury of dud delist comments

correct. we should have differing rules for those with more talent than the battlers, just as we should have different rules for those with money than the poor
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4053 on: June 15, 2016, 10:41:12 PM »
Conca has had a more charmed existence than dusty, Ffs.
Dimmer treats conca like he's the great white hope.

Well he is white.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #4054 on: June 15, 2016, 11:14:49 PM »
This is true.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4055 on: June 16, 2016, 12:58:34 AM »

Ive seen the footage and yes he looks great but Butcher should be our go, which ive said from day one.

:lol

Just remember. It's easy to be critical of our recruiters with hindsight. This is one they got right!
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #4056 on: June 16, 2016, 01:44:41 AM »
They think that's all they need to get

One.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4057 on: June 16, 2016, 05:33:38 AM »

correct. we should have differing rules for those with more talent than the battlers, just as we should have different rules for those with money than the poor

Yeah it's not a democracy
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond's Dustin Martin is maturing before our eyes (Age)
« Reply #4058 on: June 16, 2016, 08:51:09 PM »
Richmond's Dustin Martin is maturing before our eyes

Wayne Carey
The Age
16 June 2016

Amid the gloom of Richmond's season, one man is finally realising his potential.

As footballers and as people we all mature at different rates; from personal experience, some of us take a lot longer than others. But with maturity, Dustin Martin has elevated his game to new heights – and that's saying something for a player who has already finished in the top-three of Richmond's past three best-and-fairests.

It's been well-documented the challenges he's faced off the field and his upbringing would likely have been different to many players in the AFL.

But that's also one of the things that makes our game great – any number of shapes, sizes and personalities make up a football club and can succeed.

We as footy followers certainly have a fascination with the man known as "Dusty". Covered in tattoos, he immediately attracts attention. Shy and softly spoken, he's intriguing because we don't know a lot about him and what makes him tick.

With that interest comes challenges and having your every move under a microscope can be difficult to cope with. The transition from young player to public figure is not easy and that's something Dustin might have grappled with.

Even this year he's been in the spotlight off the field, but speaking to those at Richmond they could not be more impressed with the changes he's made away from the game.

He's grown up in front of us.

Separated from his father, from the outside it seemed Martin went through a flat spot early in the season. In a show of support, the Tigers have said they will allow him extra breaks to travel to New Zealand to see his dad.

Do I think it is right he has to cope with such intense focus on his personal life and family? No I don't. But eventually you realise it's a fact of life at AFL level.

Once you get your head around that the job becomes much easier and Martin's form suggests he's learning to deal with the pressure. When you understand as a footballer you'll be a person of interest for the rest of your life it can get to a stage where you feel more comfortable in your own skin.

Damien Hardwick, Trent Cotchin and particularly Mark Williams should be congratulated on moulding and managing Martin to this point – not just as a footballer, but as a person.

It wasn't that long ago Martin almost left Richmond when he was coming out of contract. Young and ill-advised, he quickly learned the club is always bigger than the individual.

It was another important wake-up call and the first time Martin really understood he needed to put his head down and bum up if he wanted to make the most of his talent.

Fast forward to 2016, and he's now the most dynamic and damaging player at the Tigers. Along with Patrick Dangerfield and Buddy Franklin, Martin is one of the most exciting players in the league to watch.

I'd go so far as comparing him to Mark Ricciuto. Like "Roo" he's an absolute bull and is almost impossible to tackle. He's more aggressive at the footy than ever, has the best "don't argue" in the game and is relishing his move into the middle.

He can win his own ball, break tackles and then burst clear.

By the same token, Martin's still a real asset up forward given he rarely gets beaten one-on-one. Kick it in his direction and he either breaks even or is having a shot at goal – even the best defenders wouldn't look forward to an afternoon on Martin.

The knock on him in the early part of his career was his tendency to fade-out in the second half of matches, but he appears much fitter and seems to be covering the ground better.

The Tigers have demanded more of him and he's done everything that's been asked.

With that consistency "Dusty" can now be classed as truly elite.

Make no mistake, he'll always be a bit of a lad. But considering where he's come from and what he's been through, his development on and off the field is a credit to the Richmond football club, and most importantly Martin himself.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-season-2016-richmonds-dustin-martin-is-maturing-before-our-eyes-20160616-gpkiw4.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4059 on: June 17, 2016, 03:15:00 PM »
Dusty into $21 and equal-5th favouritism in Brownlow betting.

Dangerfield   $ 2.75
Hannebery    $ 6
Selwood       $11
Parker          $13
Martin          $21
Priddis         $21
Mitchell        $23
Sloane         $23

http://www.sportsbet.com.au/betting/australian-rules/afl-brownlow-medal/Brownlow-Medal-2016-2249252.html

RFC website reckons Dusty has 12 Brownlow votes so far.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2016-06-17/dusty-a-chas-chance

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
A Dusty Brownlow speech ‘would be amazing’ (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #4060 on: June 22, 2016, 10:52:22 PM »
A Dusty Brownlow speech ‘would be amazing’

Riley Beveridge
FOX SPORTS
22 June 2016

RICHMOND star Brett Deledio has revealed his hope that teammate Dustin Martin can win the Brownlow Medal — if only for the speech he would make afterwards.

Martin’s Brownlow chances have gone through the roof following a career-best spell of form in recent weeks, which has helped turned the Tigers tide.

Since a permanent move into the midfield in Round 6, Martin is averaging 31 disposals (14 contested), six inside 50s, five clearances, four tackles and 121 Champion Data ranking points per game.

“He’s been unbelievable,” Deledio told Fox Sports News’ AFL Tonight.

“He’s playing great footy. His ability to win the ball inside and then spread and get it to the boys on the outside ... He’s in the best form he’s been in.

“I’d love to see him win the Brownlow because I just think his speech would be amazing.

“He’s a good kid and he’s going really well.”

Deledio refuted claims that Martin’s fantastic form was an indictment on Richmond, who has failed to improve despite the 24-year-old playing the best footy of his career.

“I don’t think it’s an indictment, it just shows how well Dusty is going,” Deledio said.

“He’s matured and he’s grown as a person off the field and on the field. You’re seeing the results of hard work and the work he does away from the club to get into a good shape.

“He’s reaping the rewards at the moment and so are we.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/dustin-martin-brownlow-richmond-teammate-brett-deledio-says-his-speech-would-be-amazing/news-story/21bd74ba334dd71483e8c514666954a7

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #4061 on: June 22, 2016, 10:59:41 PM »
Yes - amazingly brief and monosyllabic....
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Hardwick challenges Dustin Martin to beat Mitch Robinson tag (H-Sun)
« Reply #4062 on: June 25, 2016, 12:10:48 PM »
Damien Hardwick challenges Dustin Martin to beat Mitch Robinson tag

Herald Sun
June 24, 2016 12:05pm

RICHMOND star Dustin Martin travelled across the ditch over the bye and has a “huge challenge” ahead of him tomorrow, coach Damien Hardwick says.

Martin went to New Zealand to visit his father, Shane, who was deported from Australia in March over alleged bikie links.

Martin was in stellar form before the bye and Hardwick isn’t expecting anything less tomorrow.

“He’s been in terrific form and he’s going to have a huge challenge this week,” he said, confirming the trip.

“(Lions stopper) Mitch Robinson has been outstanding in nullifying some great opponents over the last three weeks and managed to get a lot of ball himself.

“It’s going to be a challenge for Dustin. He’s risen to the challenge before, but we’ve put it firmly on him to make sure he beats Mitch Robinson.”
Mitch Robinson nabs Matt Priddis.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/damien-hardwick-challenges-dustin-martin-to-beat-mitch-robinson-tag/news-story/663df189e4e696c81841e18e3612988a

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4063 on: June 25, 2016, 12:12:44 PM »
Build Damien a statue now FFs

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4064 on: June 25, 2016, 06:20:05 PM »
Just in another league to the other players on the ground today. The combination of power, skill and speed is a joy to behold. Those penetrating low  and fast kicks are great for the forwards too. :clapping
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.