Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 902182 times)

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #5580 on: May 15, 2022, 02:10:15 PM »
He won't go in my humble opinion and he needs to think about his legacy in this situation.  He's currently a footy god and to move would tarnish this for future earnings. 

If for some reason he did go and we allowed it I don't care what anyone says but it would take 2 first rounders minimum plus a good player. 

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5581 on: May 16, 2022, 04:06:41 AM »
AWAKEN THE SLEEPING TIGER

Richmond have only beaten Collingwood and Hawthorn in Martin’s two games back, but the quality of the opponent is not the point. You don’t measure Dustin Martin against who he is playing, you measure him against himself.

Does he have his touch, his fitness and the more immeasurable idea of his appetite back? Yes, yes and yes.

He took a half against Collingwood to find touch, but it is unquestionably there again. His goal against Hawthorn, squeezed between opponents and at the point post was vintage Martin.

He is still building his fitness – he is playing primarily as a forward than midfielder at the moment. That might be the plan in any event given how damaging he is in Richmond’s structure at the moment, but as he gets more match fitness he remains a punishing change up in the middle of the ground.

And as for his appetite? How can we know other than to say he is back playing again and the way he is playing gives every indication he is enjoying playing football again?

So against the measure of how good we know Martin has been and what he can do, the last two weeks have said he is back and consequently so are Richmond, if not back to flag contention then at least back in the eight and a potential stalking horse of the Demons.

Critically for Richmond, they have few injuries – Balta did a hamstring but they have both of their two rucks back and their most important midfielder, Dion Prestia, is back in. He is not as important to them as Martin but he is not far behind in terms of his impact on the team.

And Tom Lynch is in the form of his career. Richmond always argued they measured Lynch’s game on more than goals but really that was always half bollocks. He’s a full forward, his goals are crucial and right now he is kicking bags, clunking marks and panicking opposition defences.

With Lynch back to his best form and Martin back in the team and in form, Richmond remain an X-factor for the finals.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/four-points-ryder-martin-among-quartet-firing-up-teams-finals-20220515-p5alg1.html

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5582 on: May 16, 2022, 11:27:26 PM »
Sydney’s covert op to land Dusty Martin

The Sydney Swans have begun background talks with Dustin Martin’s manager to lure the Tigers star interstate, but at what cost?

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/sheahan-ink-sydney-swans-start-quiet-talks-to-lure-dustin-martin/news-story/e7641b611fe6c56be5ae53e8e138a678

Tony Sheahan  ::).

Dusty would be best advised by RC who is one smart operator. Whatever option that is is anyone guess, but i would think with what the afl would cough up it may be hard for dusty to pass up especially if cotch leaves at years end.

recently went into some random venue and its owned by the pair of them, so one would think its now about maximizing dustys value. Success has already come.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers coach Damien Hardwick addresses Dustin Martin’s AFL future (AAP)
« Reply #5583 on: May 17, 2022, 03:50:27 PM »
Tigers coach addresses Martin’s AFL future

Oliver Caffrey 
AAP
May 17, 2022

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick has given Dustin Martin his blessing if the Tigers superstar wants to leave the Melbourne AFL fishbowl.

The three-time Norm Smith medallist is two games back from his six-week break from the AFL due to personal reasons.

Martin took a leave of absence from Richmond after the Tigers’ round-one loss against Carlton as he continues to grieve the death of his father last December.

Rumours have floated around about the 30-year-old wanting to live a more private life outside an AFL-obsessed state and move to Sydney.

Hardwick on Tuesday addressed the possibility of Martin finishing his illustrious 263-game career away from Punt Rd.

“He’s a very important player to our footy club, on the field and off the field,” Hardwick said ahead of Richmond’s Dreamtime at the ‘G blockbuster.

“What he gives us, he’s paid us in spades.

“Whatever Dustin’s decision is moving forward is up to Dustin and to be honest he has my blessing.

“What he’s given me, us, our fans, he has been incredible and whatever we get from here on in is a bonus.

“I’m just lucky I get to see him on a weekly basis perform and train the way he does.

“He was a bit sore last week, he’d never put up his hand and say he was a little bit underdone.

“He’s a required Richmond player and a very important Richmond player.”

Hardwick hailed Martin’s influence in victories over Collingwood and Hawthorn as the Brownlow medallist played mainly as a forward.

“The way this guy prepares physically and mentally is first-class, it’s what the great ones do,” Hardwick said.

“There’s no coincidence the work he puts in gets rewarded with his on-field performances.

“Even after (Tuesday’s training) session, he’s doing extra running because that’s the sort of performer he is.

“We use him as an example for our young blokes, ‘listen you want to reach that level, first of all good luck but this is how you go about it’.”

https://www.aap.com.au/news/tigers-coach-addresses-martins-afl-future/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5584 on: May 17, 2022, 06:06:34 PM »
How a blockbuster Dusty trade would get done

As Richmond says it wouldn’t stand in Dustin Martin’s way if he requested a trade, we analyse what it would take for one of the Sydney clubs to lure the superstar north.

Paywall: https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/news/afl-trade-news-2022-keep-up-to-date-with-all-the-latest-contract-signings/news-story/b041f928fe5856e0d4aec7e33ca055f3

It's behind a paywall. Can I ask another favour for someone with access to post what it says?

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #5585 on: May 17, 2022, 06:08:32 PM »
So a Hardwick/Dusty move to GWS is a possibility?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5586 on: May 17, 2022, 06:25:48 PM »
Sometimes it is best to not be honest Dimma

The rumours will go into overdrive now  :help  :facepalm
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5587 on: May 17, 2022, 06:42:21 PM »
Dimma has been smoking too many joints. Every time he opens his mouth he puts his foot in it

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5588 on: May 17, 2022, 07:01:17 PM »
Would have to be one of the biggest trades in history and include 2 x top 10 picks plus more. 

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5589 on: May 17, 2022, 07:08:13 PM »
Theyre preparing the supporters to get ready to say goodbye to the great one.

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5590 on: May 17, 2022, 07:17:34 PM »
It does seem that way. 

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #5591 on: May 17, 2022, 07:31:50 PM »
Dimma or Dusty?

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5592 on: May 17, 2022, 07:34:09 PM »

i doubt he will go to GWS, in fact i would be 100% confident its the swans or bust.

It makes sense given their window and buddy's last year.

if cotch decides to pull the pin she is all over, they will all leave. cotch, dusty and dimma IMO.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5593 on: May 17, 2022, 07:40:38 PM »
Dimma or Dusty?
Dusty

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5594 on: May 17, 2022, 07:58:20 PM »

i doubt he will go to GWS, in fact i would be 100% confident its the swans or bust.

It makes sense given their window and buddy's last year.

if cotch decides to pull the pin she is all over, they will all leave. cotch, dusty and dimma IMO.

I don't think Cotchs legacy after leaving would be everyone walking out the door.  Don't think he'd like that.