Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 918805 times)

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #5565 on: May 14, 2022, 09:45:40 AM »
Until I hear it from the club or Ralph it’s just crap to fill papers

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #5566 on: May 14, 2022, 09:59:38 AM »
If Dusty wants to go I would definitely do a deal that included Tom Green and Jake Riccardi which will solve both midfield and forward line stocks in one hit.  :clapping
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5567 on: May 14, 2022, 01:05:05 PM »
From GWS id want Green, there first pick in this years draft and 1st rounder next year. Theyll pay it because he'll make that club relevant in the Sydney market.

From Sydney Id want this years first, next years first and Oliver Florent.

The GWS deal would be the better deal.

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #5568 on: May 14, 2022, 01:25:44 PM »
Reckon a few of you are dreaming
Think Judd/Kennedy

Clubs are weary .. a few years of dusty compared to a career of Green and first round picks etc …where do we sign ???

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5569 on: May 14, 2022, 03:47:30 PM »
Sorry Andy that’s a terrible deal.

I don’t care about his age we would be dudded in that deal.

I would tell them all to shove it personally until the end of next year, and it’s Green plus a top 10 pick min.  Dusty we have been told can play till his late 30’s, and now all of a sudden I read on here she is an issue.

He brings more to a club than draft picks,  and we lose that if he goes.

The other elephant in the room is clarko and GWS. Will clarko or any coach give up green?

Just to clarify I'm not suggesting those two are enough.

But I would want them both in a deal.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5570 on: May 14, 2022, 05:34:34 PM »
https://www.afl.com.au/video/759730/dusty-kicks-outrageous-goal-from-the-pocket-as-mcg-erupts

That was some freakish goal from Dusty :bow. You can see all the Hawthorn players nearby are left just stunned lol. 
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5571 on: May 14, 2022, 05:43:43 PM »
Dustin Martin watch

In his second game back in action, Brownlow medallist Dustin Martin spent most of the game playing across half-forward as he builds his match fitness up after a six-week break. Martin spent a rotation in the middle of each quarter in the first half, but then he burst to life in the third quarter, weaving through traffic before just missing a snap early in the third quarter. Then he kicked one of the best goals of the day, poking a goal on his left from an acute angle at the city end. The 30-year-old finished with 20 disposals and three goals to take another step forward.

Source: AFL website

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5572 on: May 14, 2022, 05:57:28 PM »
Can avg 20ish disposals and 2 goals a game in his sleep playing as a forward.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #5573 on: May 14, 2022, 06:31:41 PM »
It’s like he’s in second gear. What a freak of a player.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Damien Hardwick 'a little bit upset' by criticism of Dustin Martin after Richmond star's return

ABC
14 May 2022

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick has defended Dustin Martin after the returning star Tiger was criticised for not doing any media interviews after last weekend's win over Collingwood.

Key points:
* Damien Hardwick said Dustin Martin doesn't feel comfortable in media interviews
* Hardwick said Martin provides more than enough to the game with his brilliant play to make up for a few missed interviews
* The Tigers coach said Martin's return has provided a boost for the entire club
* Martin was playing his first game back after a six-week absence taken for personal reasons.

Speaking to to Saturday Morning Sport on ABC Radio Melbourne, Hardwick said Martin has never been comfortable in a media setting, and was disappointed by some of the criticism.

"I was probably a little bit upset at a few people that made it more about them and less about Dustin," Hardwick said.

"He's just electric at what he does, but it doesn't mean that brilliance is going to transfer into a media performer. And he doesn't feel comfortable in that space, he doesn't feel comfortable sharing his life story.

"He's not really interested in providing a running commentary on his life and what it looks like and feels like to be Dustin Martin. That's not him.

"It's not an arrogance, it's just a sense of he likes being his own man. He's very insulated, he doesn't let a lot of people in."

Martin kicked two goals against the Magpies last week in a solid return to action, and Hardwick said the three-time Norm Smith medallist provides more than enough for the game with his play alone.

"At what stage do we say 'this guy has provided two and a half hours of entertainment, he basically lost a kidney last year. He gives a lot this guy'.

"And don't get me wrong, he gets paid a lot for what he does, but he provides an incredible service by the people paying their money to see two and a half hours of brilliance of Dustin Martin.

"At what stage is that enough? Do we really need two questions to sit there and provide the icing on the cake? Or are we just happy for Dustin to do what he does and provide the brilliance he does on a weekly basis?

"He will at some time sit down and speak, but that time isn't now."

Richmond will go into their round nine game against Hawthorn in the top eight and with improving form, and Hardwick said the return of their talisman gave the entire club a timely boost.

"To have him back last week was incredibly important, and it gave our whole club a lift," he said.

"He still has his good days and his bad days, but for him to just be there to play his game, it was enormous.

"You could see when he did kick that goal, every single player on the ground got to him. All our coaching staff were a little bit misty eyed in the coaches' box too

"It's great to see players come back from adversity, but it's just great to see the fans applaud such a player coming back as well. It was a really touching moment not only for Richmond but for the AFL."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-05-14/richmond-damien-hardwick-upset-by-criticism-of-dustin-martin/101066416

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5575 on: May 14, 2022, 08:21:05 PM »
Wish he finished off that check side goal when he weaved in and out btw 2 hawks players.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Everitt says NSW clubs would be a perfect landing spot for Martin

Ben Cotton
Fox Sports
May 14th, 2022 2:48 pm

Three-time All-Australian Peter Everitt believes the NSW clubs make sense as a landing spot for Tigers superstar Dustin Martin.

Martin returned to action last weekend against Collingwood following a leave of absence from Tigerland as he grieves the death of his father Shane in December.

The three-time Norm Smith medallist, who’s often shied away from the limelight and public attention, reportedly spent several weeks in Sydney during his time away from football.

And speaking on the Herald Sun Sacked podcast, Everitt, who played 39 of his 291 AFL games at the Swans, believes Martin would flourish in the move slightly further north.

“Dusty would love it. He would be a driving force. We know how many fans are passionate Swans fans and at GWS he would put them back on the map, absolutely,” he said.

“I think it would be a massive coup for any of those NSW teams to get him. They would love it, they would embrace you. Everyone is in good spirits there.

“I don’t want to recommend it to every player.

“People say footballers don’t read the papers or know what is happening. Of course we read the papers, we want to see what people are saying about us. But in Sydney you don’t get that, you get that step away.

“Even when interstate teams come up and it’s a weekend away, it’s a different vibe around footy.”

Martin’s manager Ralph Carr has previously said Martin enjoys spending time in the Harbour City, but that he wouldn’t seek a trade there.

But if Martin were to request a move on compassionate grounds, Saints legend Leigh Montagna thinks the Tigers would command a hefty return.

“If, hypothetically, he wanted to go to New South Wales, Richmond would want from the Giants I think at least a first-round pick and someone like Tim Taranto in return,” the dual All-Australian said on Fox Footy.

“If Dustin loves his footy and is committed, he could play for another five years.”

However Hawks great Jason Dunstall thought it was too much to give up for Martin, who turns 31 next month.

“Look at the deals that have been done in the past, how could you possibly, given a player of Martin’s age, expect to get that in return?” Dunstall posed.

Martin sensationally nearly joined the GWS Giants at the end of the 2013 before recommitting to the Tigers.

He’s contracted at Richmond until the end of the 2024 season.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/richmond-tigers/afl-2022-dustin-martin-trade-to-nsw-clubs-sydney-swans-gws-giants-peter-everitt-news-whispers-latest-what-would-he-cost/news-story/f063ceb97b036d396c9a21c8f551f225

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
“He loves this club”: O’Neal dismisses Martin trade rumours

“Not that long ago he said to me ‘I’ll never be in anything but yellow and black’ and so I’ll hold him to that.”

Danielle Sorati
zerohanger.com
MAY 14, 2022 - 2:21PM

Outgoing Richmond President Peggy O'Neal had shed light on Dustin Martin's return to football in an interview with 3AW, ahead of Richmond's Round 9 clash against Hawthorn.

The three-time premiership Tiger returned in Round 8 after a six-week absence for personal reasons, sliding back into the side with ease.

When asked if the club ever internally suspected the star wouldn't return to the field, O'Neal was categorical in her denial.

"Dustin loves to compete and he loves football and it's a real part of his life that he looks forward to," O'Neal said to 3AW.

"There was never an idea that he would not come back to football and as we saw it will take a little while to get the rust out but he's still playing pretty good football."

Martin impressed in his return in Round 8 against Collingwood, collecting 23 disposals, 2 goals and 11 score involvements in the 27-point win.

While the 2017 Brownlow Medallist is tied to Punt Road until at least 2024, speculation about the 30-year-old's future at Richmond and in the game has swirled throughout 2022.

Having played 262 games for the Tigers since his debut in 2010, O'Neal remains confident that Martin will remain at the club.

"We have him for two more years and I haven't heard a word about that. Undoubtedly he likes getting away and getting out of the fishbowl from time to time but he loves this club and he loves this team," O'Neal said.

"Not that long ago he said to me 'I'll never be in anything but yellow and black' and so I'll hold him to that.

"For the next two years I'm certain that we can continue to watch Dustin play for the Tigers."

The 30-year-old was criticised by some pundits upon his return for his refusal to participate in media interviews after Richmond's win, which O'Neal swiftly dismissed.

"Dustin has been reserved in his own person through his whole career and I think the mystery makes it all the more interesting," O'Neal said.

"As I understand, people were told that it's unlikely that Dustin would agree to do an interview and I think he probably didn't want to draw a lot of attention to himself after we had won a game in a very convincing way over an old foe."

Speaking to ABC Radio Melbourne on Saturday morning, Tigers coach Damien Hardwick echoed O'Neal's sentiments, defending Martin's right to remain tight lipped.

"I was probably a little bit upset at a few people that made it more about them and less about Dustin," Hardwick said to Saturday Morning Sport.

https://www.zerohanger.com/he-loves-this-club-oneal-dismisses-martin-trade-rumours-120293/

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5578 on: May 14, 2022, 09:21:42 PM »
If he wants to stay that ends all the debate and speculation. I look forward to seeing his next 100 odd games in yellow and black.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5579 on: May 15, 2022, 01:26:49 PM »
Sydney’s covert op to land Dusty Martin

The Sydney Swans have begun background talks with Dustin Martin’s manager to lure the Tigers star interstate, but at what cost?

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/sheahan-ink-sydney-swans-start-quiet-talks-to-lure-dustin-martin/news-story/e7641b611fe6c56be5ae53e8e138a678

Tony Sheahan  ::).