Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 902188 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #6315 on: July 16, 2023, 09:57:04 PM »
Dusty's form is becoming ominous

Richmond champion Dustin Martin has always saved his absolute top-shelf performances for when it really matters, and his recent showings would suggest he wants those big-stage opportunities again. Martin's form has been significant in the Tigers' 5-1 run since round 12, and he capped an excellent month on Sunday with 23 disposals, four clearances and two goals against West Coast on Sunday. With recent possession tallies of 27, 35 and 29 before Sunday, it has been the triple Norm Smith medallist's best ball-winning month since late 2019. Finals remain within reach for Martin and the Tigers, and we know what he can do there. – Nathan Schmook

https://www.afl.com.au/news/969185/nine-things-we-learned-max-s-masterclass-is-bad-for-brodie

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6316 on: July 17, 2023, 01:44:11 AM »
From the HeraldSun:

McQualter praised Martin’s performance and questioned whether he has anything to worry about as a result of the incident.

“I think Dustin is putting together a pretty impressive season; just the numbers he’s able to consistently produce, but also the way he impacts games in different ways, which is probably hard to justify at times,” he said.

“But he really controls the tone of our defence, which might sound surprising to some but yeah, the energy he gives us I think he’s in a great patch of form, hungry player always looking to get better.

“I know it happened. We don’t want any of those actions to cost us off the ball. Because ultimately it hurts the team.

“But Dustin knows that. He would have known straight away. I’m not sure there’s anything too much further in it, is there?

"Hopefully, it doesn’t happen again, it costs the team.”

Source: HeraldSun.

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #6317 on: July 17, 2023, 08:24:24 AM »
Umpires have a duty of care to protect players and set the tone for the game, he is held onto and hassled all the time, umpires ignore it and the guy puts on a Hollywood show, pathetic.

The AFL will process it and Dusty may be in trouble thanks to poor umpiring IMHO.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2023, 03:53:14 PM by one-eyed »

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6318 on: July 17, 2023, 09:27:21 AM »
AFL ALLRIGHT.

didnt josh rachelle do the same thing in the crows game?

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6319 on: July 17, 2023, 10:07:36 AM »
Just seen the footage lol

Was softer than Cox's emblow on Vickery which the umps didn't care for.

It's a fine at worst.

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6320 on: July 17, 2023, 03:54:38 PM »
Dustin Martin is in his best form since Richmond’s 2020 premiership year.

The Tigers superstar has produced good performances right throughout the 2023 season, but he’s gone to another level in his past four games averaging 28.5 disposals, 4.7 marks, 6.7 inside-50s, 4.7 clearances, 8.7 score involvements, 4.0 stoppage clearances and 464.5 metres gained.

He is one of only four players in the competition so far this season to be averaging more than 20 disposals (22.5) and one goal (1.1) per game.

Full article: https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1383293/dusty-hits-another-purple-patch

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6321 on: July 17, 2023, 06:15:13 PM »
Dusty fined $3000.

Source: Tom Brown on 7news.

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6322 on: July 17, 2023, 06:16:09 PM »
Charges laid:

Dustin Martin, Richmond, has been charged with striking West Coast's Alex Witherden during the second quarter of the Round 18 match between Richmond and West Coast played at Optus Stadium on Sunday, July 16, 2023. The incident was graded as intentional contact, low impact and body contact.

The incident was classified as a $5000 sanction as a second offence. In summary, Martin can accept a $3000 sanction with an early plea.

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1383300/martin-pickett-fined-by-mro

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6323 on: July 17, 2023, 06:31:20 PM »
Charges laid:

Dustin Martin, Richmond, has been charged with striking West Coast's Alex Witherden during the second quarter of the Round 18 match between Richmond and West Coast played at Optus Stadium on Sunday, July 16, 2023. The incident was graded as intentional contact, low impact and body contact.

The incident was classified as a $5000 sanction as a second offence. In summary, Martin can accept a $3000 sanction with an early plea.

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1383300/martin-pickett-fined-by-mro

Marlion getting fined for the McGovern shepherd a joke, the WCE boys were into Marlion from the start of the game

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6324 on: July 17, 2023, 08:21:32 PM »
Robbo on AFL360 tonight sooking about Dusty not being suspended.

"I feel because it's Dustin Martin, he got off."

Robbo believes Dusty was treated differently by the Match Review because of who he is.

WATCH HERE: https://twitter.com/FOXFOOTY/status/1680879416191119360

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6325 on: July 17, 2023, 09:40:40 PM »
I notice witherden touched Dusty first, who knows, Witherden might be a pincher ?

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6326 on: July 17, 2023, 11:25:44 PM »
‘Everyone do it, who cares?!’ Host blows up as Dusty avoids ‘cheap shot’ ban ‘because he’s Dusty’

Catherine Healey
Fox Sports
July 17th, 2023 9:46 pm

Richmond superstar Dustin Martin has been slammed for his “cheap shot” elbow by Fox Footy’s Mark Robinson, who warned the AFL had set a dangerous precedent by only handing the Tiger a fine.

Martin escaped a ban for his off-the-ball elbow that dropped Eagle Alex Witherden to the turf during the win over West Coast on Sunday.

And the Match Review’s finding left Robinson fuming as he labelled Martin’s actions “unacceptable”.

“If you flagrantly send an elbow back into the darkness, I know it only hit him (in the chest), but if you send it back, you lose your right to play,” Robinson said on AFL 360.

“Because that’s not in the rules to flail an elbow back.

“What if it’s flicked up and hit him in the jaw? ‘Sorry I didn’t mean to do it’ – you did it!

“The AFL says ‘Nah it’s OK Dusty, you’ll be right, the contact wasn’t really severe’.

“So we’re going to allow that kids!

“All you kids out there, do it this weekend. (Co-host Gerard Whateley interjects: “Don’t say that!”) But this is the problem, Gerard.

“They’ll see it, and they’ll do it.

“He’s guilty, suspend him.”

While admitting he was being “facetious” by calling on kids to copy Martin’s moves, Robinson was left angered by the $3000 fine handed to the Tiger with an early guilty plea.

“The swinging elbow back has always been frowned upon. It’s a pretty cheap shot,” he lamented.

“To flail back to a guy who’s not expecting it.

“The AFL should have said, ‘No you’re out Dusty, you can sit. We don’t care who you are, that’s unacceptable in our game’.

“And kids don’t do that.

“The point I was making now, I was being facetious, if we’re going to allow that and not be a suspension, ah well, might as well do it. Everyone do it this weekend – who cares!”

Robinson said he believed the AFL took a lighter stance on Martin because of his standing as a great of the game – a three-time Norm Smith medallist and three-time premiership star.

“I feel because it’s Dustin Martin he got off,” he said.

“I was watching The Last Dance … and it was about Michael Jordan. Magic Johnson, Larry Bird complaining that Michael Johnson never gets fouls called against him and I’m sitting here thinking, I betcha he gets off because it’s Dustin Martin and people say, that’s ridiculous.”

Hawk Jai Newcombe was also slapped with a fine for his “cheap punch to the guts” on Roo Harry Sheezel, but walked away with a $2000 penalty.

“It doesn’t make it right,” Robinson said.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/everyone-do-it-who-cares-host-blows-up-as-dusty-avoids-cheap-shot-ban-because-hes-dusty/news-story/3df26b43bf5eeb081f2a903ece550678

Offline JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #6327 on: July 17, 2023, 11:38:27 PM »
Oh boohoo Robbo!

I hope Robbo has something to say about Dangerfield's hatchet job on Vlaustin in the '20 GF!  Did kids copy that because Danger got away with it, Robbo?     :wallywink
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6328 on: July 17, 2023, 11:40:18 PM »
Can anyone show me an incident like Dusty’s one and show me where anyone got a weeks suspension for it? He didn’t get off because he’s Dustin Martin, he got off because the afls grading system adjudicates actions like that to be a fine and nothing else.

Let the nuffs in the media and oppo supporters go crazy kicking up a storm though like we haven’t been getting reamed by the umps and the afl for 5+ years.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6329 on: July 18, 2023, 10:17:52 AM »
Didn’t Steven nay concuss a saints player by kneeing him in the head taking a speccy? Like afl is physical. People need to settle the f*** down