Author Topic: Dustin Martin - 300 games [merged]  (Read 930457 times)

Online Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #6285 on: June 24, 2023, 06:29:44 PM »
Dusty is going no where.  Wants to be a proud 300 game one team player.  Fact . All journos talking crap should be sued

Did you make him an offer he couldn't refuse? :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online Tiger_In_Sicily

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #6286 on: June 24, 2023, 06:37:13 PM »
Lmao I wish I could say I did. But no. His issues were not purely his dad's death.  A lot more to it which I cannot reveal here
He lives Richmond. But hates the AFL and media.
All i will say his leave wasn't for bereavement, but other issues. Nothing sinister.  More moral.

Online Tiger_In_Sicily

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6287 on: June 24, 2023, 06:38:08 PM »
Loves Richmond*

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dustin Martin remains the highest paid player in the AFL (HeraldSun)
« Reply #6288 on: June 25, 2023, 01:13:26 PM »
AFL Rich 100: Dustin Martin remains the highest paid player in the AFL as he completes the final stages of his $9 million deal

Dustin Martin is on the fattest contract in the AFL and has delivered more than Richmond could have ever hoped for. But the deal is coming to an end and all eyes are on his next move.

Jay Clark, Glenn McFarlane, Sam Landsberger and Jon Ralph
HeraldSun
June 25, 2023

Richmond superstar Dustin Martin has the fattest contract in the game this year as he looks to fulfil the final component of his whopping $9 million deal at Richmond next season.

The champion forward is on at least $1.25m-$1.35m in 2023 to edge out Fremantle’s dual Brownlow medallist Nat Fyfe ($1.05m-$1.15m) as the AFL’s top earner, according to the AFL Rich 100 List.

Eagles’ intercept king Jeremy McGovern, midfield teammate Tim Kelly and inspirational Western Bulldogs’ captain Marcus Bontempelli are all on $1m-$1.1m, meaning bottom-placed West Coast has two of the top-five highest-paid players in the game as they sink towards the worst-ever finish in the club’s history.

Powerhouse Melbourne pair Clayton Oliver and Christian Petracca, who have signed bumper long-term deals to stay at the club until at least 2029, are sixth and seventh on about $950,000-$1.05m each.

Geelong premiership spearhead Jeremy Cameron has reaped the rewards of his move to the Cattery both on and off the field, while Richmond premiership key forward and best-and-fairest winner Tom Lynch and flying Collingwood defender Darcy Moore round out the top 10.

Moore is the only defender inside the top 10, while there are four GWS Giants playmakers hovering next in line in a sign of the enormous salary cap pressures which forced the club to jettison Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper to the Tigers last year.

Martin, 31, turned down as much as $1.5 million per season from North Melbourne when he re-signed the whopping contract at Tigerland on the back of his stunning Brownlow Medal season in 2017.

And despite a persistent hamstring injury last season on the back of serious kidney injury in 2021, Martin has delivered incredible bang for buck on the historic deal, helping to guide Richmond to three premierships.

In that stunning stretch since the start of 2017, the aggressive playmaker has won three Norm Smith Medals and ranked fifth in the league for score involvements and inside 50s, according to Champion Data.

Only Tom Hawkins and Patrick Dangerfield (Geelong), Jack Macrae and Bontempelli (Bulldogs) and Petracca (Melbourne) have racked up more score involvements in that time, showcasing Martin’s lethal impact in the forward half.

There was speculation Martin would consider leaving Richmond for the final season of his contract next year, in a bid to help reinvigorate the Tigers’ list following the departure of coach Damien Hardwick.

But Martin’s manager Ralph Carr, who orchestrated the $9 million deal at Richmond after two meetings with North Melbourne’s senior leaders, has denied Martin is interested in a fresh start north of the border, barring a shock backflip from his client.

The two Sydney clubs as well as Gold Coast have been linked to a move on Martin to help the tattooed cult figure escape the Melbourne football fishbowl, but Carr has been adamant Martin is fully invested at Punt Rd.

In any case, Martin would likely have to accept a considerable pay cut to move elsewhere for next season, regardless of any AFL ambassador payments which could be added on top of a new salary at a franchise club.

Martin is again expected to be at the top end of footy’s pay rankings next year with an expected salary of $1.2m-$1.3m as Richmond’s highest-paid player.

But goal kicking midfielder Shai Bolton is expected to close the pay gap on Martin in 2024 after receiving a considerable pay rise in his whopping five-year contract extension which Bolton signed last season in recognition for his supreme midfield talents.

Martin has again been one of the Tigers’ most damaging and consistent players this season, averaging 21 disposals and one goal a game through the first 12 matches of the home-and-away rounds.

Speculation is certain to swirl around whether Martin will play on beyond this deal when it concludes in late 2024, but any decision seems unlikely until later next season as the Tigers adjust to a new coach and chase another finals appearance.

https://www.codesports.com.au/afl/afl-rich-100-dustin-martin-remains-the-highest-paid-player-in-the-afl-as-he-completes-final-stages-of-9-million-deal/news-story/60b64767ab7710a2f060e1009b0a412f

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6289 on: June 26, 2023, 02:40:37 AM »
Would Dusty take a pay cut for a fresh start?

There is one more year to run on Dustin Martin’ $9 million deal at Richmond, but speculation about finishing his career at another club won’t go away. What would a move cost him?

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-rich-100-dustin-martin-remains-the-highest-paid-player-in-the-afl-as-he-completes-final-stages-of-9-million-deal/news-story/60b64767ab7710a2f060e1009b0a412f

::)

Online Tiger_In_Sicily

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6290 on: June 26, 2023, 02:41:29 AM »
Dusty is going nowhere.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6291 on: June 26, 2023, 11:47:14 AM »

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6292 on: June 26, 2023, 11:50:52 AM »
Happy Birthday Normy!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6293 on: June 26, 2023, 10:23:01 PM »
To this stage of the season, Martin is averaging 21.9 disposals, 8.8 contested possessions, 4.4 marks, 4.8 inside-50s, 1.0 goal, 6.7 score involvements and 354.2 metres gained per game.

The only other player in the competition with an average of more than 20 disposals and a goal a game is Martin’s Tiger teammate Shai Bolton (22.1 disposals, 1.4 goals).

Martin has accomplished that elite statistical feat 10 times throughout his magnificent AFL career.

Martin also is now equal with Tiger great Matthew Richardson on the Club’s all-time games’ list with 282 games, and he’s kicked a total of 316 goals.

Full article: https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1366125/dusty-primed

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6294 on: June 27, 2023, 02:24:46 PM »
Dimma talking about Dusty:

Hardwick dedicated a portion of time to discussing one of his favourite sons at Punt Road in Martin, an enigmatic character who played a paramount role in delivering the ultimate club success to Tigers fans, three times over.

"I remember walking up on stage (when Martin was drafted in 2009) and he had to get into his Richmond jersey, I'm not even sure he knew I was the coach, to be fair, at that stage, he threw his (other) top at me and I caught his top and he put the [Richmond] one on and shook his hand," laughed a reminiscing Hardwick.

"He's a very, very quiet guy, but the one thing, there's a reason players are superstars, I reckon, don't get me wrong, they're talented, but they work harder than anyone else, like [Martin] as a player was naturally talented but people didn't realise how hard he worked.

"He had an ability, every year he would work on something to get better at something, whether it was physically, or mentally, or spiritually, he'd always do something to have an aim over the off-season to get better, and that's why he's one of the greatest players to ever play the game, and I sit there and watch him and the things that he does, you're just amazed at.

"We watch from different angles and different bits of vision, and the way he can see the game unfolding and the things that he can do are just special."

Hardwick revealed he's recently been in contact with Martin via text message, sharing a message regarding Martin's positive aura at the football club in recent times.

"The pleasing thing is, he texted me the other night and I texted him back, I said 'Mate, the best thing I've seen from you in the last couple of weeks is [you're] back, smiling, [you're] back engaged and [you're] loving footy again', which is really important," said Hardwick.

"He's just not quite kicking his goals at the moment but that'll come, he's getting his touches but ... he'll get it."

https://www.zerohanger.com/damien-hardwick-lauds-unheralded-heros-role-in-uplifting-dustin-martin-laments-guilt-over-early-jason-castagna-retirement-139072/

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6295 on: July 06, 2023, 10:14:35 PM »
Vintage performance by the champ. Loved the fend off and goal.  :bow

Offline PoppyTige

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #6296 on: July 06, 2023, 10:19:59 PM »
How ace seeing how invested Dusty was tonight during the song at the end? Tiger for life. 🐯

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #6297 on: July 06, 2023, 10:30:42 PM »
The champ.  :bow

Online Tiger_In_Sicily

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6298 on: July 06, 2023, 10:51:57 PM »
Dusty is happy and we know why

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers superstar Dustin Martin intent on honouring Tigers contract

Jon Ralph
HeraldSun
July 7, 2023

Dustin Martin is intent on crashing through the 300-game barrier as a one-club Richmond star honouring his contract to the Tigers then playing well into his 30s.

Martin, who returned to the Tigers side against Sydney on Thursday, has rebounded strongly from a 2022 season where he battled grief over his father’s death and recurring hamstring strains.

In what has been an “almost” season for Martin, he has ranked elite in disposals but entering the Sydney clash had 13 goals from 39 total shots (including three posters) and just three goals from 15 snaps at goal.

But Richmond believes Martin is invested as ever and confident in a body that has seen him miss only the round 3 clash with hamstring awareness and last week’s loss with flu-like symptoms.

Martin is due more than $1.3 million next year in the final season of his seven-season contract amid constant speculation about whether he might jump ship.

But the 32-year-old needs only 17 more games after the Sydney clash to hit the 300-game milestone at Richmond achieved by only Trent Cotchin, Kevin Bartlett, Francis Bourke, Jack Dyer, Jack Riewoldt and Shane Edwards.

Any rival who wanted to secure Martin would need to pay the full $1.3 million for next year then offer more years at a lofty rate, with few clubs in the premiership window able to afford that fee.

https://www.codesports.com.au/afl/trade-hq/tigers-superstar-dustin-martin-intent-on-honouring-tigers-contract/news-story/794d426143171ea56c55a97e6070fc7d