Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 871673 times)

Broadsword

Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #6255 on: May 23, 2023, 04:48:49 PM »
 ::)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6256 on: May 23, 2023, 06:42:45 PM »
Morris is employed by Hutchy

That's why the story was first head on SEN
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6257 on: May 24, 2023, 01:44:55 PM »
From the HeraldSun:

Dustin Martin is determined to honour the length of his contract with Richmond and is already considering playing on beyond the end of 2024.

Those close to the three-time Norm Smith Medallist made it clear on Tuesday that the 31-year-old would not be following coach Damien Hardwick out the door of Punt Road.

Martin’s connection with Hardwick was one of the reasons why he stayed at the club at the end of the 2017 season, which helped lead to a triple premiership-winning era for the Tigers.

That link has also been significant in Martin choosing to stay with the club in recent seasons when it looked likely he could move north.

But a source close to Martin told Moneyball that he remains “Richmond through and Richmond” and wanted to see out the terms of his much-talked about seven-year-deal, which he signed just before the 2017 finals series.

Martin’s body was in “immaculate condition” as he looks to get back to his best footy following some strong performances in the past few weeks.

He will reach 300 games if he plays on next season with the Tigers, which now seems likely, despite Hardwick’s exit and likely retirements of Trent Cotchin and Jack Riewoldt.

Martin is said to be enjoying his footy, even if the Tigers have been struggling, though it is expected a few rival clubs could inquire about his availability at the end of the season.

https://www.codesports.com.au/afl/moneyball-all-the-latest-afl-trade-draft-and-contract-news/news-story/b67ce1ca78b6a489f95353940bde77ff

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6258 on: May 25, 2023, 06:27:19 AM »
The role Dimma played in the retention of Dustin at the club cannot be overstated. It was significant and it is one of the many reasons I am grateful for what Dimma did for the club.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6259 on: May 29, 2023, 12:48:16 PM »
The media making things up again about Dusty to try and create a story  ::).

---------------------------------------------

@tommorris32 says Gold Coast asked the question of Dustin Martin in last year's trade period...

Could they come knocking again? Would Dusty finish his career elsewhere?

https://twitter.com/SENBreakfast/status/1662944314882932736

DUSTIN MARTIN’S FUTURE ON THE AGENDA AS SUNS AGAIN LINKED TO SUPERSTAR

Lachlan Geleit
SEN
29 May 2023

Will Dustin Martin retire a one-club player?

While he’s contracted at the Tigers until the end of the 2024 season, SEN’s Tom Morris believes there is a world where he could leave the club at the end of the 2023 campaign.

Speaking to sources close to the superstar, Morris says there’s an attraction for Martin to one day live in Sydney or the Gold Coast.

After Gold Coast were said to have asked the question of Martin last season, Morris pondered whether they’d again go after the Tiger this trade period with one list manager suggesting the Suns could part with a top 10 pick for Martin with Richmond paying a chunk of his large salary.

“I think it’s time we had the Dustin Martin conversation, he’s out of contract at the end of 2024, he’ll be a free agent then,” Morris said on SEN Breakfast.

“There was enough chatter last week around clubland for me to put this on the agenda this morning.

“This is what we know, this is what we know for sure, Gold Coast asked the question last year, it didn’t go anywhere but Gold Coast asked the question.

“His salary next year as I understand it is about $1.2 million for 2024.

“His success is indelibly linked to Damian Hardwick, he won’t be there, and Trent Cotchin probably won’t be there either at Punt Road.

“Stuart Dew is not safe for the Suns, that’s true, he might keep his job but he’s not 100 per cent safe.

“Gold Coast’s salary cap is not as precariously placed as it was 12 months ago, partly because Jack Bowes was traded out to Geelong.

“I’m not saying they’ve got a lot of space but they’re not in as bad a position as they were 12 months ago.

“This is what we know about Dusty based on the people I speak to that know him far better than I do. The attraction of living in Sydney or the Gold Coast is real at some stage down the track, whether it’s soon or after he retires.

“The Tigers will look somehow to get back into the first round of the draft, at the moment their first pick is pick 23.

“Gold Coast, which has built a pretty good list, are likely to ask the question again.

“The view from one list manager I spoke to a couple of days ago is that the Suns could look to give up a top 10 pick for Dusty, which he’s probably not quite worth anymore, but Richmond would pay a large chunk of his salary next year.

“My question to you both is, can you see a world in which Dustin Martin is not at Richmond football club in 2024?”

In response to Morris, Kane Cornes and Nathan Buckley discussed a world where Martin moves this off-season, with both agreeing that any move would have to happen on the superstar’s terms.

Cornes: Yes (I can see him leaving) , but it, it's his call. I don't think it's Richmond's call.

“If he goes to the club and says this is what I want to do (they would let him) like Damien Harwick and their ability to let him stand down with what he has contributed to the club.

“He's going to be a legend and in the hall of fame, he goes with their blessing.

“Then you work out for Richmond, ‘Okay, how do we make the best of this situation?’, because they have traded all their picks.

“It would free up a big portion of their salary cap even if they paid some of Dustin Martin's wage.

“He's not at his absolute best, he’s been really good and really solid and for the first three quarters yesterday I thought, ‘Wow, he's the one that he's going to win them the game’, but then you don't see him in the last quarter.”

Buckley: “One thing I would suggest with that is once a stalwart like Damien Hardwick decides to step out, then everything's up for grabs.

“What it was, it's not what it's going to be because there's going to be a shift in perspective and a change in philosophy or direction.

“So, Dustin Martin could well end up wherever he wants to end up.”

Cornes: “It does amuse me though, that they're trying to get back into the first round of the draft.”

Morris: “Well, that's what other clubs expect them to do, I assume they’re having conversations with the Tigers.”

Cornes: “You've just traded all your picks away and they’ve traded pick four currently to GWS … how quickly your strategy changes.”

Morris: “I do agree with you that Dustin Martin has to start the conversation himself or a club has to come to Dustin Martin.

“The Tigers aren't going to start that conversation.”

Through 10 appearances in 2023 Martin is averaging 20.4 disposals, 1.3 goals and 4.5 inside 50s a game.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/05/28/dustin-martins-future-on-the-agenda-as-suns-again-linked-to-superstar/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6260 on: May 29, 2023, 12:50:18 PM »
Speaking on RSN Breakfast on Monday morning, four-time premiership Hawk Jordan Lewis said he didn’t think Martin would be at Richmond next season.

Asked if he’d either play at a rival club or retire, Lewis said: “I think he’ll play elsewhere … Interstate, either Sydney or Queensland.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/richmond-tigers/afl-news-2023-dustin-martin-trade-updates-richmond-contract-gold-coast-suns-interest-sydney-swans/news-story/2a7dc94aa92d2f560519a7621af67a54

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6261 on: May 29, 2023, 12:50:50 PM »
What's that based on, Jordan?

Offline Thrasher97

• Future Richmond star
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #6262 on: May 29, 2023, 12:52:19 PM »
Leave the bloke alone ffs! Every year he's apparently leaving

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6263 on: May 29, 2023, 02:58:11 PM »
This talk is ridiculous click baiting as it is every year.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #6264 on: May 29, 2023, 03:06:55 PM »
If he wants to go and we can get something decent in return then good luck to him - owes us absolutely nothing..... :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6265 on: May 29, 2023, 04:51:17 PM »
One media outlet makes up the story and then another runs with it as an "expected move" ::).

Richmond can’t stop Dustin Martin expected move: ‘He goes with their blessing’

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-cant-stop-dustin-martin-expected-move-he-goes-with-their-blessing-c-10801879

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dusty cops a fine from the MRO (RFC)
« Reply #6266 on: May 29, 2023, 07:09:10 PM »
The Match Review Officer has completed their review of Saturday's Round 11 match, with Dustin Martin offered a financial sanction.

Charge laid:

Dustin Martin, Richmond, has been charged with striking Port Adelaide's Daniel Houston during the second quarter of the Round 11 match between Richmond and Port Adelaide played at the MCG on Sunday, May 28, 2023. The incident was graded as intentional contact, low impact and body contact.

In summary, he can accept a $2000 sanction with an early plea.

The incident was classified as a $3000 sanction as a first offence. The player can accept a $2000 sanction with an early plea.

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1346747

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6267 on: June 01, 2023, 12:51:25 PM »
Dusty is rated #2 in the comp. this year as a forward (only behind Charlie Curnow) according to Daniel Hoyne at Champion Data.

Source: HeraldSun.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond adamant Dustin Martin has no plans to follow Damien Hardwick out the door

Nca Newswire/Foxsports
June 2nd, 2023 1:14 pm

Richmond superstar Dustin Martin is as “invested” as he‘s ever been at the Tigers as speculation swirls about his future in the wake of coach Damien Hardwick’s shock departure.

Martin, 31, is contracted to Richmond until the end of 2024, but Hardwick’s decision to walk away as coach and the impending retirement of some of his closest teammates, including former captain Trent Cotchin, has created speculation about the Brownlow medallist’s future.

Last year Martin, who took an extended break to deal with his father’s death, was linked to a move to Sydney, and it’s also been revealed the Gold Coast Suns inquired about his availability.

Martin and Hardwick started their playing and coaching careers together at Punt Road in 2010, and their relationship was crucial to Richmond winning three premierships.

Earlier this week four-time Hawthorn premiership winner Jordan Lewis said he believed Martin would not finish his career at Richmond.

“I think (Martin) will play elsewhere … either (in) Sydney or Queensland,” he said on radio station RSN.

Hardwick has also been linked to taking over at the Suns next season.

But when that was put to Richmond caretaker coach Andrew McQualter, who has spent a decade at the Tigers before stepping up to replace Hardwick, he was adamant Martin was all in with the club.

He said annual speculation around Martin had always come to nothing.

“It‘s almost been three years in a row. We’re about the same time of the year where the chat about Dustin comes,” he said on Friday.

“Dustin’s in a terrific spot at the moment. He’s as invested as you could ever imagine in our footy club.

“He’s happy, he’s having a great time playing footy and he’s playing great footy for us as well.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/richmond-tigers/richmond-adamant-dustin-martin-has-no-plans-to-follow-damien-hardwick-out-the-door/news-story/37c49f81b6fb05367f656d42de9af847

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6269 on: June 04, 2023, 09:43:39 PM »
From Robbo's Tackle column under the title "likes" ...

2. WHERE’S DUSTY PLAYING NEXT YEAR?

Dustin Martin has a year to run on his $1 million-plus contract, and it’s understood he will analyse where his future lies in about eight weeks. That’s not hinting that he’s about to pack his bags and head north, which is what Hawks premiership champ Jordan Lewis declared he would be doing at season’s end. Lewis might be right, but which of Sydney, GWS, Brisbane and Gold Coast can pick up a $1.3 million one-year contract because Richmond won’t be paying any of it? And is Dusty worth that much? Maybe Sydney. On Sunday, Martin played his 280th game and if he fulfils his contract at Richmond, he would join Bartlett, Riewoldt, Edwards, Bourke and Cotchin (298 games) in the 300 club. Being the mysterious figure he is, we wouldn’t know if 300 games for the Tigers was a burning ambition, or whether joining a new club at 32 would be ideal either. He played mainly as a permanent forward against the Giants on Sunday and only attended three centre square bounces, and was even deep in defence at times, which is unlike Martin. The Tigers say he is invested, but without Damien Hardwick as coach, and probably Cotchin, and probably Riewoldt (retirement), Martin will have some thinking to do in eight weeks time.

https://www.codesports.com.au/afl/the-tackle-mark-robinsons-likes-and-dislikes-from-round-12/news-story/28a5e2e52d25575e846742898b1ec38d