Author Topic: Alex Rance [merged]  (Read 209325 times)

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Will Alex Rance play again in 2019?
« Reply #2340 on: July 28, 2019, 11:19:36 AM »
The other hypothetical question would be what if we play Rance and in the first final he does his knee again? We are then one man down for the game and the deflating effect that would have for the team in that game and the rest of the final series would be immense.... :shh

The only counter to that point is that if he is cleared by doctors to play then hypothetically that could happen to anyone who has been injured, we shouldn’t just react because it’s Rance and a knee reco.
The doctors clearing him to play is the only logical way to justify playing him.
If we look at Cotchin as a more extreme version of the above logic, does his third hamstring now rule him out for the entire season?
No matter how minor the hamstring tear, there is now a big risk that it reoccurs.

So, it’s up to the medicos, the  match committee and then the player to decide whether he plays again this season.

My only other counter is that if the above happens and he does play, we are effectively one man up due to his extraordinary play and leadership.

He might just win us a final or a GF if he does play...
The problem with this is there is no exact science in ascertaining whether a knee reco is good to go or not. Medicos will almost always err on the side of caution in these cases as you can imagine the backlash if they say he is good to go and then nekminut does his knee....  :shh
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2341 on: July 28, 2019, 11:24:50 AM »
I would get a few opinions if I was making the decision, I remember a few careers being ruined by coaches trying to make 9th

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2342 on: July 28, 2019, 11:39:31 AM »
The other hypothetical question would be what if we play Rance and in the first final he does his knee again? We are then one man down for the game and the deflating effect that would have for the team in that game and the rest of the final series would be immense.... :shh

The only counter to that point is that if he is cleared by doctors to play then hypothetically that could happen to anyone who has been injured, we shouldn’t just react because it’s Rance and a knee reco.
The doctors clearing him to play is the only logical way to justify playing him.
If we look at Cotchin as a more extreme version of the above logic, does his third hamstring now rule him out for the entire season?
No matter how minor the hamstring tear, there is now a big risk that it reoccurs.

So, it’s up to the medicos, the  match committee and then the player to decide whether he plays again this season.

My only other counter is that if the above happens and he does play, we are effectively one man up due to his extraordinary play and leadership.

The problem with this is there is no exact science in ascertaining whether a knee reco is good to go or not. Medicos will almost always err on the side of caution in these cases as you can imagine the backlash if they say he is good to go and then nekminut does his knee....  :shh
You are write in saying there is no exact science but that has to work both ways.
Just because it takes someone longer to get over a knee doesn’t mean the greatest athlete in the AFL won’t be ready.  :shh
It’s worth the risk if it means potentially anther premiership- and I reckon Rance would say the same thing.

Don’t get me wrong, if he is not ready don’t play him but if he does all the training and gets past to play, then IMO he is ready.... and there is a risk in everything.

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2343 on: July 28, 2019, 11:40:14 AM »
I would get a few opinions if I was making the decision, I remember a few careers being ruined by coaches trying to make 9th
I can tell you now what the majority of opinions will be. They will hover from between 9 to 12 months post surgery and he does not fall into that category. If there was a specific test that could estimate the strength of the new graft and its attachments then we could use that. Unfortunately, there isn't so all we have are overall statistics which of course tell us nothing about an individual case.

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #2344 on: July 28, 2019, 11:59:55 AM »
Ummm ...

I had done my PLC and have friends that have done ACLs.

Once you are running, your ACL is 100%.

Is more about match conditions.

PLUS! He is on the Long Term Injury List so cant play until finals.

There is 5 weeks to go before our 1st final.

which will make it 6 months post surgery.

Rance just needs to play on the 2nd or 3rd forward and it will benefit us!

Jackstar is back!!!

« Reply #2345 on: July 28, 2019, 12:02:52 PM »
Finish bottom 4 for next 4 years after winning the flag this year and he doesn’t play 🤔
Keep in mind Dusty played on one leg last prelim when he couldn’t run at training . And played Astbury who spent the night in hospital
Rance hasn’t missed a beat at training
Looks the fit as
Done all the agility ladders and speed tests
Is there a risk ?
So is driving a car a risk
If he a decision has been made by club , interesting that he was running in the pouring rain ☔️ at 4.30pm on Friday afternoon
He has left no stone underturned
Also don’t know if it been mentioned but there was no damage around the ACL and swellings went down extremely quick which allowed him to Xtrain earlier than expected
Hopefully he starts training with main group this week along with Jack Ross
Rance would be sick of running 20 laps a session

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2346 on: July 28, 2019, 12:43:20 PM »
I'd be happy to lose Rance for 2020 if it won us another flag. And I suspect he'd be ok with it too. Eek!

Jackstar is back!!!

« Reply #2347 on: July 28, 2019, 01:32:10 PM »
Ummm ...

I had done my PLC and have friends that have done ACLs.

Once you are running, your ACL is 100%.

Is more about match conditions.

PLUS! He is on the Long Term Injury List so cant play until finals.

There is 5 weeks to go before our 1st final.

which will make it 6 months post surgery.

Rance just needs to play on the 2nd or 3rd forward and it will benefit us!

Totally agree
I am trying to work out what risk ?

Online cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #2348 on: July 28, 2019, 02:12:03 PM »
Premierships are just too hard to win, you gotta catch the breaks hit form at the right time and a bit of luck chucked in.
You gotta roll the dice to win it all
If we are a chance and he is cleared he plays in my book, you just never know when it will come around again.

Jackstar is back!!!

« Reply #2349 on: July 28, 2019, 02:37:20 PM »
Premierships are just too hard to win, you gotta catch the breaks hit form at the right time and a bit of luck chucked in.
You gotta roll the dice to win it all
If we are a chance and he is cleared he plays in my book, you just never know when it will come around again.

👍👍

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2350 on: July 28, 2019, 02:43:03 PM »

Does not logic not also apply to Hamstrings, concussions and a multitude of other injuries?
As I previously posted, the medico is the first person that clears the players, then the match committee and finally the player.
This should be the case for all  injuries where there is a risk the injury can reoccurs...
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2351 on: July 28, 2019, 03:17:04 PM »
Dale Morris just did his ACL is his comeback game for the Bulldogs .
Unleash the tornado

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2352 on: July 28, 2019, 03:17:35 PM »

That's terribly sad. Career over ..

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2353 on: July 28, 2019, 03:19:48 PM »
I guess that's the risk!

Jackstar is back!!!

« Reply #2354 on: July 28, 2019, 03:27:22 PM »
Played 4 games in the VFL
5th Game back for Morris