Author Topic: Kane Lambert retires [merged]  (Read 161138 times)

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Kane Lambert [merged]
« Reply #720 on: July 25, 2022, 02:20:50 PM »
What a champion Lambo is both on and off the field. Will be sorely missed but hope he can now get the treatment needed to live a pain free life. Can only hope he sticks around in some capacity because I can’t imagine a better role model for the young kids to learn how to get the absolute best out of yourself.  :bow :bow :bow

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Kane Lambert [merged]
« Reply #721 on: July 25, 2022, 02:27:34 PM »
Thanks for the great career and helping to erase the other Kane who was at our club

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Kane Lambert retires [update]
« Reply #722 on: July 25, 2022, 02:28:28 PM »
Lambert announces retirement

By Richmond Media
25 July 2022

Three-time Richmond premiership player Kane Lambert has announced his retirement from AFL football effective immediately.

Lambert informed his teammates of the news today, citing his ongoing hip issue and the inability to contribute at the same level due to his fitness as the main factor.

The 30-year-old who was not drafted until the age of 23, having been passed up by 836 draft selections said the purpose of his career had never been to prove anybody wrong.

“My purpose has been to prove people right, the people that cared for me and gave me their time and effort,” he added.

“I am so fortunate to be able to thank those people.”

Lambert added that highlight of his exhilarating career was not about the premierships, but the company.

“It is not what you win, it is who you win it with, and it has been an absolute pleasure to share this journey with all our players, staff and members both past and present.”

The retirement brings to an end a brilliant 135-match career that started as a mature-aged rookie selection (2014 AFL Rookie Draft) via VFL clubs Northern Blues and Williamstown.

A relentless worker and admired teammate, the Tiger Army and AFL industry will best remember Lambert for his outstanding contribution to the Club's 2017, 2019, and 2020 premierships.

Lambert finished second in the Jack Dyer Medal in 2017, third in 2018, and eighth and ninth in the 2019 and 2020 triumphs; such was his consistency through this period. Despite missing nine games last season, Lambert (9th) featured in the top-10 for a fifth consecutive year.

The midfielder/forward also booted Richmond's only two final quarter goals in the Club's thrilling low-scoring preliminary final win against Port Adelaide in 2020, showing his excellent skill level. Lambert managed seven senior games in 2022, with the Tigers winning all of them.

Lambert's high standing among his teammates was underlined off the field by winning the prestigious peer-voted Francis Bourke Award in 2020 for best upholding the group's trademark values.

The popular figure also won the staff and player voted Bunjil Award on three occasions for his exceptional work driving similar Club values such as connection across the entire organisation.

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick paid tribute to Lambert.

“What Kane has given us since he arrived at the footy club can never be repaid, but it can be learned.

“Dedication, resilience and all the things we talk about needed to get the best out of yourself, this man has done it.

“The way he played the game; we changed things based around him and how Lambert would do it. Watching him on the field is like a masterclass for an AFL coach.

“Kane has given us success, but he has also given us some of the off-field stuff that is going to last a long time.”

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1181265/lambert-announces-retirement

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #723 on: July 25, 2022, 02:38:17 PM »
What a career and what a great story. Will be missed.

Can’t help but feel like this is the first of a few

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #724 on: July 25, 2022, 02:59:47 PM »
We laud blokes like Cotchin, Martin, Riewoldt, Rance as champions of our Club (rightly)

But Kane Lambert should be lauded exactly the same way. He's been brilliant for our Club from the day he walked in the door.

Champion on and off the field. Nothing was ever too much for Kane

Not the most talented but certainly the most team and Club orientated over the last decade.

Thanks for everything Kane

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #725 on: July 25, 2022, 03:10:23 PM »
Im sad and happy at the same time. Sad becauae hes not playing again, happy because he can rehab the hip and his best life. This man has been an exceptional player and brave warrior in our jumper. I agree with WP Kane Lambert is a champion player. I hope Richmond give him a job in playerdevelopment or player welfare or something.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #726 on: July 25, 2022, 03:27:28 PM »
He was a mature age player which worked his absolute arse off to get into an AFL side. Does the selfless things and runs like an absolute machine. Also typically seizes the moments that are put in front of him. His goal kicking is pretty flash and reliable for a blue collar footballer . I will sorely miss him because his spirit, his hard two way running and 100% buy in to the Richmond way is a large part of our success.

Offline Gigantor

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #727 on: July 25, 2022, 03:41:35 PM »
Will be greatly missed. In my opinion he was/is the Richmond man. Enjoy your retirement Kane you are now part of Richmond folklore.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #728 on: July 25, 2022, 04:21:28 PM »
Will be one of my all time favourites.

An incredible story and career from a non drafted player. The best rookie we have ever drafted maybe ever in AFL.

I'll remember our dynasty with Kane at the centre of it, alongside Dusty, Cotch, Jack, Grimes, Nank and Edwards.
Go Tigers!

Online eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #729 on: July 25, 2022, 05:25:05 PM »
Congratulations to him. He is a great servant of this club. His contribution both on and off the field has been enormous. He made other players look good. His gut running and courage were second to none. So glad we recruited him. From the beginning he worked tirelessly to improve himself. He was selfless- a real team player. His improvement was a major reason for why things turned around in 2017 from the disaster in 2016. Reckon he will be in the future a very good coach if he chooses to go that way.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #730 on: July 25, 2022, 05:35:39 PM »
He was elite in my books . Very important cog in the dynasty era . Loved him .
Unleash the tornado

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #731 on: July 25, 2022, 05:39:15 PM »
Favourite Lambert moments:

One of the few Tigers to kick a goal in all three Grand Finals.

https://twitter.com/Richmond_FC/status/1551443878531571714

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #732 on: July 25, 2022, 05:39:56 PM »
Thanks Kane!  :bow

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #733 on: July 25, 2022, 05:40:05 PM »

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #734 on: July 25, 2022, 06:50:42 PM »
Favourite Lambert moments:

One of the few Tigers to kick a goal in all three Grand Finals.

- opening goal in 2017 prelim. Have never heard and doubt I ever will hear a sound like that. Stadium was legit shaking.

- 2 clutch goals in 2020 prelim on the road against port Adelaide.