Author Topic: Aaron Edwards a Tiger [official]  (Read 81887 times)

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
Re: Aaron Edwards a Tiger [official]
« Reply #135 on: October 26, 2012, 10:30:42 PM »
just watched his highlights reel, did someone say something about hands like a steel trap, nice work tigers :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #136 on: October 27, 2012, 08:20:33 AM »
He will play a similar role as back up forward like Miller although they are quite different players. i like the fact he kicks straight, marks well and leads hard. Someone mentioned his turning circle and lack of defensive pressure which is valid but this is  why he comes over for pick 74 (along with his age).
The question really becomes about the positives outweighing the negatives and whether it will be enough to tip those close losses of 2012 into wins next year.
I think his success at the Tigers will rely heavily on the quality of our mid fields inside 50 kicking.
People lauded Geelong for recruiting the JPod but the midfield made him successful with the quality of their delivery inside 50. This might be a similar scenario.  :pray
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #137 on: October 27, 2012, 10:15:50 AM »
Can he play ruck?

Jesse white would've been a better backup for ruck/forward. He's younger too.

:lol
how tall do you think he is?

backup for ruck/forward  :lol
Cameron stated that Edwards was picked up as insurance for our forward line as this year Vickery was injured.
My point was if Vickery goes down again we have no Vickery type to fill his role.
If Maric goes down and the big X doesn't learn how to mark a footy then we're stuffed.
I'm not saying White is a great player but with his age and size we would've been better served to get him as a backup than Edwards because White can pinch hit in the ruck as well as play forward.
I'm not sure what you think is so funny.
what's funny is people talking about a 6 ft bloke as if he was kpp/ruck.
Cameron never said he was a backup for vickery. he said our goal output dropped when vickery was sidelined, which is also incorrect as vickery had done FA.

Jessie white is a noodle bender...thats Hartley's official rating and thats why we didnt pursue him.
Where did Hartley say this? 
The club that keeps giving.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #138 on: October 27, 2012, 10:18:03 AM »
He will play a similar role as back up forward like Miller although they are quite different players. i like the fact he kicks straight, marks well and leads hard. Someone mentioned his turning circle and lack of defensive pressure which is valid but this is  why he comes over for pick 74 (along with his age).
The question really becomes about the positives outweighing the negatives and whether it will be enough to tip those close losses of 2012 into wins next year.
I think his success at the Tigers will rely heavily on the quality of our mid fields inside 50 kicking.
People lauded Geelong for recruiting the JPod but the midfield made him successful with the quality of their delivery inside 50. This might be a similar scenario.  :pray

well said :clapping
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #139 on: October 27, 2012, 10:19:27 AM »
Can he play ruck?

Cameron stated that Edwards was picked up as insurance for our forward line as this year Vickery was injured.
My point was if Vickery goes down again we have no Vickery type to fill his role.
If Maric goes down and the big X doesn't learn how to mark a footy then we're stuffed.
I'm not saying White is a great player but with his age and size we would've been better served to get him as a backup than Edwards because White can pinch hit in the ruck as well as play forward.
Cameron never said he was a backup for vickery. he said our goal output dropped when vickery was sidelined, which is also incorrect as vickery had done FA.

Jessie white is a noodle bender...thats Hartley's official rating and thats why we didnt pursue him.

Let it go. White is finished

gerkin greg

« Reply #140 on: October 27, 2012, 11:20:46 AM »

That's my official rating too

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #141 on: October 27, 2012, 11:22:33 AM »
just watched his highlights reel, did someone say something about hands like a steel trap, nice work tigers :shh

No they didn't.  :lol  ;D

the claw

« Reply #142 on: October 27, 2012, 12:13:12 PM »
Not sure how I feel about picking up Edwards. On the plus he plays above his height and is a good kick for goal, and certainly helps fill the gaping mid-sized forward role in the team, at least as a stop gap until if/when O'Hanlon steps up. On the down side he can be inconsistent though certainly has heaps more talent than most players that are going to get drafted in the 70s.  Edwards and Knights both a bit speculative in some respects, with Edwards probably the more known quantity in the short term and knights having more potential upside in the long term. Both came cheap (effectively from picks at the bum end of the draft), fill needs, and more likely than not improve the list. Not quantum leaps forward but that's what the top end of the draft is for.
here here well said.
just on ohanlon. if hes the only young medium sized forward we have wouldnt you say we have all of our long term medium forward eggs in one basket and need to get another on the list.especially as ohanlon is a very late pick psd and like most 18 yr olds taken this late dont make it.

i have to say we are heading in the right direction despite craig cameron and his ineptness.

we are screaming out for mids at least 3 or 4 genuine ones. we are screaming out for two ruckmen one experienced one a kid we are lacking long term sml/med forwards
and we are at least 3 kpds shyof what is needed yet we may go into the nd useing just 3 nd picks. we need to balance out the list but it never ever seems to happen with this bloke in charge.

Offline Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes I was realy born in Richmond
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
« Reply #143 on: October 27, 2012, 01:15:00 PM »
Not sure how I feel about picking up Edwards. On the plus he plays above his height and is a good kick for goal, and certainly helps fill the gaping mid-sized forward role in the team, at least as a stop gap until if/when O'Hanlon steps up. On the down side he can be inconsistent though certainly has heaps more talent than most players that are going to get drafted in the 70s.  Edwards and Knights both a bit speculative in some respects, with Edwards probably the more known quantity in the short term and knights having more potential upside in the long term. Both came cheap (effectively from picks at the bum end of the draft), fill needs, and more likely than not improve the list. Not quantum leaps forward but that's what the top end of the draft is for.
here here well said.
just on ohanlon. if hes the only young medium sized forward we have wouldnt you say we have all of our long term medium forward eggs in one basket and need to get another on the list.especially as ohanlon is a very late pick psd and like most 18 yr olds taken this late dont make it.

i have to say we are heading in the right direction despite craig cameron and his ineptness.

we are screaming out for mids at least 3 or 4 genuine ones. we are screaming out for two ruckmen one experienced one a kid we are lacking long term sml/med forwards
and we are at least 3 kpds shyof what is needed yet we may go into the nd useing just 3 nd picks. we need to balance out the list but it never ever seems to happen with this bloke in charge.

I disagree with you Claw, how many players do you think we can put on the field at one time? We are not "screaming out" for all these players. We have most of them , just need to develop them to the next stage.  Back up ruckman seems to be the one place we seem to be out but Im sure they have a plan in place for this.  This draft ( the four picks inside 50) will see the big turnover nearly complete. Offcourse there will be failures to come on etc but I dont think we are as far off as you think it is.
Here , kitty kitty. Here , kitty kitty.   AAAUGH!

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #144 on: October 27, 2012, 01:45:30 PM »
Can he play ruck?

In a meeting
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #145 on: October 27, 2012, 01:57:54 PM »
Can he play ruck?

In a meeting
:clapping
The club that keeps giving.

the claw

« Reply #146 on: October 27, 2012, 02:40:17 PM »
pick 74 hey.
a pick they reckon they werent going to use.
just had a look at all our picks from pick 50 onwards since 2000. it doesnt make for pretty reading.

the best we have managed with picks after 50 in that time is tuck and mark graham who were both mature recruits, grahams circumstance similar to edwards this yr with age etc.
raines still plays for brisbane and most tiger supporters have no time for him.

all those picks over all those yrs and how many good players have we found after pick 50. seems to me we are better off taking mature players with these types of picks.
needed to add newman at 55 in 2000 and jackson  at 53 in 2003.
just on picks over 50.
i had a look at geelong probably the most succesful side since 2000.
i count just 13 nd picks used past pick 50 since 2000.  two of them f/s picks. compared to 26 odd by us. so we have used twice as many picks past this point. a point with a extremly high fail rate

geelong have used 40 top 50 picks since 2000. richmond have used 34 top 50 picks despite finishing contantly in the bottom 8 and warping that figure with 6 top 50 picks in 2004.

we have a side above us actually useing more of the successful picks than us over a long period of time.
where we use our picks and how we use them is important.

to me the success rate of mature state league players is pretty decent.  ithink with later picks past 50 we should be useing them more on mature players. we may not get 100 game players with the likes of edwards but we will get players who can make a short term decent contribution rather than no contribution at all.
anyway just thought it might be interesting for some.

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #147 on: October 27, 2012, 05:03:10 PM »
Just glad we didn't give up anything more than that!

tony_montana

« Reply #148 on: October 27, 2012, 05:47:00 PM »
pick 74 hey.
a pick they reckon they werent going to use.
just had a look at all our picks from pick 50 onwards since 2000. it doesnt make for pretty reading.

the best we have managed with picks after 50 in that time is tuck and mark graham who were both mature recruits, grahams circumstance similar to edwards this yr with age etc.
raines still plays for brisbane and most tiger supporters have no time for him.

all those picks over all those yrs and how many good players have we found after pick 50. seems to me we are better off taking mature players with these types of picks.
needed to add newman at 55 in 2000 and jackson  at 53 in 2003.
just on picks over 50.
i had a look at geelong probably the most succesful side since 2000.
i count just 13 nd picks used past pick 50 since 2000.  two of them f/s picks. compared to 26 odd by us. so we have used twice as many picks past this point. a point with a extremly high fail rate

geelong have used 40 top 50 picks since 2000. richmond have used 34 top 50 picks despite finishing contantly in the bottom 8 and warping that figure with 6 top 50 picks in 2004.

we have a side above us actually useing more of the successful picks than us over a long period of time.
where we use our picks and how we use them is important.

to me the success rate of mature state league players is pretty decent.  ithink with later picks past 50 we should be useing them more on mature players. we may not get 100 game players with the likes of edwards but we will get players who can make a short term decent contribution rather than no contribution at all.
anyway just thought it might be interesting for some.

That was a good read claw, thanks for sharing those stats

Ox

« Reply #149 on: October 27, 2012, 06:29:57 PM »
They'll either play good or they won't.

That's my summary.