Author Topic: Richmond president Peggy O’Neal says Tigers united behind coach Hardwick (H-Sun)  (Read 16622 times)

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
just curious about you decide it is the vast majority?

Just answered that question to WP.
You put 60,000 members in a room and the vast majority will say Hardwick needs to go as he is taking us backwards in the past couple of years.

that doesn't answer how you came to the conclusion. it is merely another assumption similar to the first.

So how do you draw this conclusion?

So I take it you are assuming the exact opposite of what I am proposing? That most Richmond supporters think we will win a premiership with Damian Hardwick? Common say it.

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame
Hawthorns president grew up a RFC supporter , the swans former prez was previously a board member of WC, spare me of the rhetoric. ::) Why have these guys presided over successful clubs, coz they're successful people  :o

He was a Hawks supporter as a teenager. Read your own articles.

And how well did we do with Clinton Casey who was an Essendon supporter?

Whether you like it or note, Eddie has proven to be the best president in the AFL. We would be a different club if we had that type of passion running the club.

And all of this is despite the point. What I said was that Richmond, much more so than other clubs, and especially due to its turbulent history, needs a Richmond supporter as a president. Someone who doesnt stupidly mistake the vast majority for being a noisy minority.
Naturally it's important that they're a legit RFC supporter to ensure their interions are honorable  however I'd argue it's even more important that they have a vision of  what success takes and even more importantly the horsepower to get it done . Flags aren't won by clubs that are a basket case off field , only a few years ago were 5 million in debt having to play games in cairns to compensate for the loss of the royal hotel. We re far from that now and have the off field stability that wouldn't be out of place amongst premierships clubs.
On field now needs to catch up , which is generally always the case , nothing strange there

Yes I agree BJ we need both but we obviously right now have one without the other. Most presidents seem to be able to walk and chew gum at the same time. Just not ours maybe.

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame

You put 60,000 members in a room and the vast majority will say Hardwick needs to go as he is taking us backwards in the past couple of years.

How can you really make an assumption as to what  60k individuals would do? Again massive generalisation

In answer to your question I have no idea what over 60k people would decide. Not even going to pretend that I know. Don't think you can claim to know either.

Yeah you do. But you just dont want to agree with me.

We are talking about RFC supporters and their reactions to dud coaches like Geischen, Frawley, Wallace etc. Its not difficult to predict how they will now react to another dud coach like Hardwíck if the club keeps defending him and accusing legitimately disappointed supporters of being a "noisy minority". You know the history as well as I do. The only possible generalisation here is that you might believe that Richmond supporters have over the past 5 years changed into Demons supporters and could not GAF about losing as long as there is snow on the slopes.

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil

How can you really make an assumption as to what  60k individuals would do? Again massive generalisation

In answer to your question I have no idea what over 60k people would decide. Not even going to pretend that I know. Don't think you can claim to know either.
it's a no brainer that the majority would want him gone. Absolute no brainer. Whoever says otherwise really has no stuffen clue
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond

We are talking about RFC supporters and their reactions to dud coaches like Geischen, Frawley, Wallace etc. Its not difficult to predict how they will now react to another dud coach like Hardwíck if the club keeps defending him and accusing legitimately disappointed supporters of being a "noisy minority". You know the history as well as I do. The only possible generalisation here is that you might believe that Richmond supporters have over the past 5 years changed into Demons supporters and could not GAF about losing as long as there is snow on the slopes.

No I don't. Has nothing to do with not wanting to agree with you.

I simply don't know what the majority of people want

Was speaking to a couple of people last week at different times. One who I thought would be pro sacking because has never rated Hardwick, never wanted him as coach but now reckon he's doing OK with the cattle his got. Then the other one who's never believed in sacking coaches saying he has to go. Two people who's view are completely different to what I thought would be

So I am not going to make assumptions of what people may or may not want. I've got my view on what should happen and that's the only view along with others views on this forum that I know for sure.

Do the majority on this forum want him gone? Easy answer is YES.

Are we the majority of Richmond supporters? That answer is clearly NO.

So again I don't believe you can claim the "Majority" want something when you, me or anyone else cannot speak for them because none of us know
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
There are probably more people on this forum that don't want Hardwick sacked but they don't say as much because of the vitriol that would follow.
I don't want Hardwick sacked, a contract is a contract and it must be honoured. However, a contract extension is not what I want at this stage either.

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame

No I don't. Has nothing to do with not wanting to agree with you.

I simply don't know what the majority of people want

Was speaking to a couple of people last week at different times. One who I thought would be pro sacking because has never rated Hardwick, never wanted him as coach but now reckon he's doing OK with the cattle his got. Then the other one who's never believed in sacking coaches saying he has to go. Two people who's view are completely different to what I thought would be

So I am not going to make assumptions of what people may or may not want. I've got my view on what should happen and that's the only view along with others views on this forum that I know for sure.

Do the majority on this forum want him gone? Easy answer is YES.

Are we the majority of Richmond supporters? That answer is clearly NO.

So again I don't believe you can claim the "Majority" want something when you, me or anyone else cannot speak for them because none of us know

Ok so we agree to disagree on what you think the majoroty of Richmond supporters want.

But thats not what I asked you. In the historical context of the Richmond footy club, which you are extremely well versed in. And with the benefit of hindsight. Did the vast majority of supporters want Frawley and Wallace sacked in their 5th year of coaching? And why would these same supporters now behave any differently after 5 years of Hardwick? 

No More

Lets get a petition happening to turf out the board

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
]

Ok so we agree to disagree on what you think the majoroty of Richmond supporters want.

But thats not what I asked you. In the historical context of the Richmond footy club, which you are extremely well versed in. And with the benefit of hindsight. Did the vast majority of supporters want Frawley and Wallace sacked in their 5th year of coaching? And why would these same supporters now behave any differently after 5 years of Hardwick?

Actually don't think that's what you asked but anyways....

FWIW and IMHO

Frawley = Yes, we'd clearly gone backwards
Wallace = Yes, same as above

Hardwick = will repeat what I've said before I don't know.  I don't think he has the same level of support as he had say end of 2013 but does that equate to the "majority"? again my answer is I don't know

« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 03:28:41 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Richmond president Peggy O’Neal says Tigers united
« Reply #84 on: May 22, 2015, 02:42:13 PM »
While the vast majority may (though I doubt it) say Hardwick needs to go, you then have the problem of what follows. The choice of a replacement would create more factions than you can imagine. It's the same trick that Howard used to neuter the Republican cause. Give them a number of options and watch them fragment. Or try the Islamic factions.

"taking us backwards in the past couple of years" is just factually incorrect. He's got us to finals in the last couple of years. I don't think that's been achieved in decades at Richmond.

I can really appreciate where WP is coming from.
We were among the less than 10 members who voted against the board changing the constitution to allow them to appoint a third of the board.
You either voted for it or condoned by abstaining. Suck it up and accept it - the board and sponsors control this club not the members.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #85 on: May 22, 2015, 02:56:47 PM »

"taking us backwards in the past couple of years" is just factually incorrect. He's got us to finals in the last couple of years. I don't think that's been achieved in decades at Richmond.

Thanks for the timely reminder.

I have had to explain to the simple minded on here many times the statistical trend on a linear plot graph on our trend over the last five years.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame

that doesn't answer how you came to the conclusion. it is merely another assumption similar to the first.

So I take it you are assuming the exact opposite of what I am proposing? That most Richmond supporters think we will win a premiership with Damian Hardwick? Common say it.

How do you come to that half wit conclusion?

Oh I see you have assumed that I make assumptions like yourself, and that there is only two possibilities at that.
You have just dragged yourself into George Bush type stupidity

Seems as you find it easier to come up with simpleton conclusions rather than answer a simple question, here's something to ponder...

what do you call it when one person bags someone else for making an unsupported assumption, then makes the exact opposite unsupported assumption themselves to say the first person was wrong?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame

How do you come to that half wit conclusion?

Oh I see you have assumed that I make assumptions like yourself, and that there is only two possibilities at that.
You have just dragged yourself into George Bush type stupidity

Seems as you find it easier to come up with simpleton conclusions rather than answer a simple question, here's something to ponder...

what do you call it when one person bags someone else for making an unsupported assumption, then makes the exact opposite unsupported assumption themselves to say the first person was wrong?

A OER forum?

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #88 on: May 22, 2015, 03:16:04 PM »

I have had to explain to the simple minded on here many times the statistical trend on a linear plot graph on our trend over the last five years.

Simply because I noted a factually incorrect assumption - taking us backwards - does not mean I support Hardwick.
The "statistical trend on a linear plot graph on our trend" means nothing.
Competitive sport is rife with evidence that trends mean nothing. Simply within the AFL look at Port, Suns, Carlton, Bulldogs, Saints, Eagles, Adelaide, Lions, Giants.*
That's half the competition defying trends based on last year.

* at this point

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #89 on: May 22, 2015, 03:19:33 PM »

Simply because I noted a factually incorrect assumption - taking us backwards - does not mean I support Hardwick.
The "statistical trend on a linear plot graph on our trend" means nothing.
Competitive sport is rife with evidence that trends mean nothing. Simply within the AFL look at Port, Suns, Carlton, Bulldogs, Saints, Eagles, Adelaide, Lions, Giants.*
That's half the competition defying trends based on last year.

* at this point

Of course, but it is important that people blurting out untruths are brought up quick smart