Author Topic: Trade talk, rumours & innuendo 2022  (Read 107688 times)

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Trade talk, rumours & innuendo 2022
« Reply #315 on: September 06, 2022, 08:59:39 PM »
Still have my doubt we can afford them all but if the reports are true then I'd be keen on Hopper if he passes a medical.

Him and Taranto would rejuvenate our midfield big time.

Then we just need to find another key forward - can Miller be the forward/ruck option we need? Bauer developing/depth.

Grimes, Broad, Balta, Gibcus and Tarrant down back. Biggie depth.

Nank first ruck, Miller relief, Ryan depth and Collina development.

Sounds alright to me.

I mean Dimma admitted they met with hopper and with the club making all these resignings over the past few weeks you’d think that at the very least they’ve worked out they have the cap space for both. Putting together a trade package that the club is happy to depart with and that gws are satisfied with might be trickier.

Yep, guess it depends on how F'd their TPP situation is and whether or not other clubs are prepared to offer more money to the players/picks to GWS etc.

You see in US sports that clubs actually GIVE a draft pick WITH the player who they are offloading as a salary dump so another club at least gets to draft a kid while they pay someone a wage that's unwanted.

Otherwise I'd be thinking it will probably be something like 12 + 30 + Soldo at a minimum, possibly more. You could argue both have had injury-interrupted seasons and whatnot but IMO they have plenty of runs on the board.

I'd like to keep at least one of 12 or 19 and take a KPF kid if we can.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #316 on: September 06, 2022, 09:18:12 PM »
Still have my doubt we can afford them all but if the reports are true then I'd be keen on Hopper if he passes a medical.

Him and Taranto would rejuvenate our midfield big time.

Then we just need to find another key forward - can Miller be the forward/ruck option we need? Bauer developing/depth.

Grimes, Broad, Balta, Gibcus and Tarrant down back. Biggie depth.

Nank first ruck, Miller relief, Ryan depth and Collina development.

Sounds alright to me.

I mean Dimma admitted they met with hopper and with the club making all these resignings over the past few weeks you’d think that at the very least they’ve worked out they have the cap space for both. Putting together a trade package that the club is happy to depart with and that gws are satisfied with might be trickier.

Yep, guess it depends on how F'd their TPP situation is and whether or not other clubs are prepared to offer more money to the players/picks to GWS etc.

You see in US sports that clubs actually GIVE a draft pick WITH the player who they are offloading as a salary dump so another club at least gets to draft a kid while they pay someone a wage that's unwanted.

Otherwise I'd be thinking it will probably be something like 12 + 30 + Soldo at a minimum, possibly more. You could argue both have had injury-interrupted seasons and whatnot but IMO they have plenty of runs on the board.

I'd like to keep at least one of 12 or 19 and take a KPF kid if we can.

I would rip their arm off for 12 + 30 + soldo for TT and Hopper. Would expect they’d want next years first or 19 instead of 30 at a minimum. Still not convinced they’d want soldo either, doesn’t seem like much of an upgrade over the 3 rucks they already have.

Offline Rockster

• Tiger Rookie
« Reply #317 on: September 07, 2022, 08:15:11 AM »
Sam Edmund has reported GWS will ask for 2 x 1st round picks for Tim Taranto and a Top 10 pick for Hopper 

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #318 on: September 07, 2022, 08:55:01 AM »
Sam Edmund has reported GWS will ask for 2 x 1st round picks for Tim Taranto and a Top 10 pick for Hopper

Yeah I often ask for a BJ also knowing I’m no chance of getting one.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #319 on: September 07, 2022, 10:01:03 AM »

Yeah I often ask for a BJ also knowing I’m no chance of getting one.

Lol

I often try to include them in trade deals too but to no avail.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #320 on: September 07, 2022, 10:02:15 AM »

Top 10 is steep for Hopper after the year he's had IMO.

Wouldn't surprise me if combined they cost 12, 19, 2023 1st and Soldo if they want a tap ruck.

Offline MaccaDacca

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #321 on: September 07, 2022, 10:07:11 AM »

They always start off miles apart then negotiate.

Cant blame GWS for trying but this is a salary dump scenario which weakens their position a bit imo.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #322 on: September 07, 2022, 03:24:16 PM »
GIANTS SET STEEP ASKING PRICE FOR WANTAWAY MIDFIELDERS

By Sam Edmund
SEN
7 September 2022

GWS is demanding Richmond cough up two first-round draft picks for Tim Taranto as the Giants dig in on their departing stars.

The Giants are attempting to ease the squeeze on their salary cap as they reset under new coach Adam Kingsley, but SEN has learned this will be far from a fire sale.

The out of contract Taranto, 24, has agreed to join the Tigers on a seven-year deal – a lucrative contract the Giants believe warrants lucrative compensation.

Jacob Hopper is contracted for next year at GWS, but met with the Tigers on Monday and has also had talks with Geelong as he looks to move to a Victorian club.

The Giants insist they will ask for a top-10 pick at a minimum for Hopper, who has twice finished in the top three of the best and fairest and was in last year’s All-Australian squad of 40.

... But it’s the Taranto and Hopper trades that loom as the most contentious.

Taranto is Richmond’s priority as they look to plan for life after Trent Cotchin and greater support for Dion Prestia and Jack Graham.

The Tigers are armed with picks 12, 19 and 30 in this year’s national draft.

Hopper’s move south is potentially complicated by the fact there is no love lost between the Giants and Cats at the trade table in the wake of the at-times heated dealings over Jeremy Cameron in 2020.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/09/06/giants-set-steep-asking-price-for-wantaway-midfielders/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #323 on: September 07, 2022, 03:27:33 PM »
Richmond pair raised as potential trade options amid GWS raid

Mitch Keating
zerohanger.com.au
September 7, 2022 - 1:17PM

Richmond's negotiations with the GWS Giants for in-demand stars Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper are sure to go deep into the sign and trade period, with the Tigers needing to move heaven and earth to secure the duo this year.

Geelong will heavily compete with the Tigers to secure Hopper, while a seven-year deal at Punt Road for Taranto is reportedly as good as done.

The Tigers will thank some of their 2021 trade planning ahead of this off-season's window, landing North Melbourne's 2022 second-round selection - placed at Pick 19 - in a trade that also saw them secure Robbie Tarrant from the Roos last year.

Their collection of Picks 12, 19 and 30 at this year's draft, along with their own future first-round pick, are likely to be key in negotiations with the Giants should the Tigers be in the window to land Hopper on top of their likely acquisition of Taranto.

It has emerged that the Giants will likely demand a number of early picks for the pair, meaning Richmond may have to get creative to lure the pair to Tigerland.

Should they look toward playing personnel to help broker a deal, duo Ivan Soldo and Riley Collier-Dawkins are seen as potential options to be added to negotiations, having both garnered reported interest from across the league.

Speaking on AFL Trade Desk, AFL.com.au's Riley Beveridge flagged the Tigers duo could be seen as moveable assets for Richmond's discussions with the Giants, with the situation surrounding Soldo "an interesting watch".

"There could be a couple of different players. I'm looking at from a midfield perspective whether a Riley Collier Dawkins, who has interest from around the competition, whether or not Richmond looks to part with him," Beveridge raised.

"There's been talk of Ivan Soldo at Richmond, potentially making the move to the Giants. I think Ivan Soldo has interest from around the competition, not necessarily just at the Giants. He's a watch there.

"He's got two years left on a three-year contract, he signed last season. It's an interesting watch.

"There's an interesting space there and how it plays out, because they're bringing in two very good players. You'd have to think a couple might get squeezed out to make way for them."

Soldo played 13 matches for the Tigers in 2022, seen as second-fiddle to co-captain Toby Nankervis as senior coach Damien Hardwick continued to ponder a two ruck system.

The Giants have continued to be left frustrated with their ruck stocks, with Braydon Preuss missing a considerable amount of games through both injury and suspension, while Matt Flynn has continued to battle with form and setbacks of his own.

Having named former Tigers assistant Adam Kingsley as their new senior coach, the Giants could have some sway to persuade potentially available Richmond players to consider a move north.

Soldo is contracted until the end of 2024, while Collier-Dawkins is one of six Tigers still without a deal for next season.

https://www.zerohanger.com/richmond-pair-raised-as-potential-trade-options-amid-gws-raid-afl-trade-news-127040/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #324 on: September 07, 2022, 06:54:23 PM »
AFL trade news: Ivan Soldo could be offered to GWS in deal to get Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper to Richmond​

Jay Clark
HeraldSun
7 September 2022 5pm

Richmond wants to land Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper, but likely needs to sacrifice at least one player to make it happen. This is the man most likely to become a Giant.

Richmond could follow in Geelong’s footsteps in off-loading as many as four high draft picks plus a senior player to pull off a blockbuster move for GWS Giants’ star midfield pair Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper.

The Tigers are eyeing Taranto and Hopper to provide a massive injection of toughness and class into their engine room and revitalise their premiership prospects next season.

But it could see the Tigers hand over a bevy of top draft picks which they have smartly accumulated in recent years to help execute such a deal with the Giants.

Richmond holds picks 12, 19 and 30 in this year’s draft and also have a future first-round pick for next year’s draft up their sleeves to help satisfy the Giants.

The wildcard in the scenario is the future of Richmond back-up ruckman Ivan Soldo and whether he would be part of the deal.

Soldo, who is from Canberra, could appeal to the Giants as a potential candidate for the No. 1 ruck position but it would have to be in addition to an early draft pick.

Soldo, 26, is contracted to Richmond until the end of 2024 after signing a three-year deal last season but he was dropped from the senior team late in the year.

It means Richmond could offer up 12 and 19 for Taranto and look to package their future first-round pick and Soldo in a deal for Hopper under one scenario.

But any deal involving Soldo remains a long way off as GWS is yet to have meaningful talks about the big man.

The two-pick swap for Taranto, 24, fits well on the AFL’s draft value index as picks 12 and 19 combined equal 2216 points which just falls short of the pick two value of 2517 points.

Taranto was originally taken with pick two in between Essendon’s No. 1 pick Andrew McGrath and Brisbane’s No. 3 Hugh McCluggage in 2016.

But it is clear the Giants would much prefer an early single-figure pick for Taranto where the chances of landing a star player are much higher in comparison with two picks in the teens.

Hopper, 25, is contracted at GWS for next season and could remain on the list for another year when he could leave as a free agent, likely earning GWS an earlier draft pick as compensation compared to Richmond’s first choice next year.

But the Giants need to off-load some big-money wages this year to help recalibrate their salary cap after years of back-ending deals.

Geelong struck a similar deal for superstar Jeremy Cameron two years ago when it off-loaded three high picks to GWS for the gun spearhead and two second-round picks in return.

The savvy move from Geelong defied critics of their age profile and list strategy as Chris Scott’s team remain the favourite to win this year’s premiership after taking another mature-age player instead of heading back to the national draft with a suite of picks.

Cameron, 29, is now considered by some football experts as the most valuable player in the game.

The Cats are also strongly interested in Hopper and are expected to meet with the hard nut midfielder once their season concludes.

Geelong list bosses Andrew Mackie and Stephen Wells have long been big fans of Hopper and have the salary cap room to add a top-end player to their midfield for next season.

His hard edge could help take some of the load off ageing stars Joel Selwood and Patrick Dangerfield next season, but Richmond has already met with Hopper and his teammate Taranto.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/trade-hq/afl-trade-news-ivan-soldo-could-be-offered-to-gws-in-deal-to-get-tim-taranto-and-jacob-hopper-to-richmond/news-story/27596e36956d070f4e3f1bded352a066

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #325 on: September 07, 2022, 06:58:32 PM »
Seems it was already public knowledge that Taranto deal was done. Have just heard that hopper is also a lock. Will keep everyone posted, let’s end our second longest draught in 42 years!

https://twitter.com/swoopshim/status/1567369275148730369

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #326 on: September 07, 2022, 07:24:55 PM »
Yeah, I heard the herald sun footy podcast. Sam Landsberger did say Hopper and Taranto will come to Richmond and Geelong has accepted they have missed out on Hopper.

https://twitter.com/AustraliaBlink/status/1567402258895339520

Online TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #327 on: September 07, 2022, 07:38:03 PM »

I think Pick 12 and 19 should be more than appropriate to get the deal done.

I think a Pick 10 for Hopper is overs. A first rounder should be enough which we can offer next year's first rounder.

Pick 12, 19 and 2024 first rounder gets the deals done I feel. I'm OK with losing these picks in that these guys are still young and our record of first rounders has been rubbish for a while anyway.
Go Tigers!

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #328 on: September 07, 2022, 09:12:30 PM »

I think Pick 12 and 19 should be more than appropriate to get the deal done.

I think a Pick 10 for Hopper is overs. A first rounder should be enough which we can offer next year's first rounder.

Pick 12, 19 and 2024 first rounder gets the deals done I feel. I'm OK with losing these picks in that these guys are still young and our record of first rounders has been rubbish for a while anyway.

Yep, need to remember that at best you're hoping your pick 12 or 19 becomes an A grade player. Very rare to find a genuine superstar outside the top 5-10.

We are guaranteed to get A grade mids if we trqse these guys in and they have at least 125-150 games in them each you'd think.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #329 on: September 07, 2022, 10:59:52 PM »
Caro wondering how we can afford both Taranto & Hopper. Seriously, can't those in the footy media do rough basic maths? :facepalm

Edwards $500k
Lambert $400k
Caddy    $300k
Parker    $150k
Cotch     $300k pay cut
Riewoldt $300k pay cut
--------------------
             $1.95m freed up.

And that's not including the 5% increase in the salary cap but that will most likely go towards the new contracts for our existing younger stars like Bolton. Also we can back load some of Taranto and Hopper's long-term deals until after 2024 when Dusty and Lynch's current contracts end.