Author Topic: Before I "BIN IT"  (Read 17188 times)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Before I "BIN IT"
« Reply #105 on: July 06, 2011, 07:39:23 PM »

After a comprehensive thrashing like that on such an occasion when the club was expected to rise to the challenge questions need to be raised at all levels. Without any knowledge of the supporters on this website you assume they are not up to the task of being a director. Such an assumption is not warranted. The point is that if there is a cultural issue at the club then you need to look at all levels not just the playing group. For the record I am not saying that the borad members are not passionate about the club. It was just a suggestion.

Why do questions need to be asked of the board after one thrashing?  Where did I say any of the posters on this forum was not up to the task of being a Director?  Did this cultural issue exist 4 weeks ago after we beat Essendon and were rolling towards the finals?  I asked you some simple questions because I disagreed with your comments and in asking I gave you the opportunity to inform me and change my mind.  Instead, I didn't get one answer to any question but instead accused of a false assumption!  If it makes it easier I'll cut it down for you - please tell me how replacing a current Director with one of our own will change the on-field fortunes of the club and improve the performance of the current board?

TigerTimeII

« Reply #106 on: July 06, 2011, 08:00:04 PM »
No Mr. Magic, we were not "a bit off", we were completely non-existent from the first bounce to the final siren. Of course Carlton are a couple of years ahead of us in their development. Nobody is disputing that.But I don't care what you say, the difference between us is NOT 100+ points.
The fact that the only players who could vaguely say even tried on the day were Rance,Nahas, Jack and to a lesser degree King is inexcusable.
As is the fact that we got virtually nothing out of Martin, Cotchin, Deledio, Foley, Vickery, Newman, Houli, Batchelor,Grigg and a host of our other more talented and emerging players.
That Griffiths was knocked out with no retaliation was a disgrace. As was Waite, once again throwing his feet into opponents with impunity, and Betts running around at will, mocking  and mouthing off to the Tiger supporters behind the Punt Road goal.
The Tigers collective lack of willingness to run, chase, support, tackle and basically COMPETE all day long was nothing short of appaling against a traditional enemy, and a team that in more recent times has stolen our draft picks and our pokies venue, as well as subjecting us to ritual humiliation in both our Centenary game, Ben Cousins first showing , and now our Fighting Tiger Fund day.

spot on and well said

the score has nothing to do with my anger it was the effing lack of effort

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #107 on: July 06, 2011, 10:17:19 PM »
I spoke to another richmond supporter on Monday. He said he didn't go to the Carlton match because of Richmond's performance against Melbourne. It seems that some supporters rightly or wrongly are resigned to the fact that we are a basket case. It seems to me that this post has shown how passionate supporters are about the club and that they have the best interests of the club at heart. Then to effect the necessary change call me crazy but someone on this website should run for a position in the board when one comes up and people on this site get behind them. It is time the club gets in touch with its supporters.
The club couldn't have done more to get and keep in touch with it's supporters this year.  How will this supporter voice in the board improve things?  What skills at a board level will this supporter bring?  Are you suggesting that those on the board are less passionate about the club than us 'supporters' or don't have the best interests of the club at heart?  Is the current problem (as you see it) a board issue or an employee issue (given that they are both completely different roles)?

Do you think our board is doing a good job Smokey?
If so, where are they setting a standard in the comp?
Yes I do HRT.  I think the direction they have set for the club and the charter they have given Benny Gale has been first class.  In their role as Directors and Board they have charted a sound course that will lead to success if plans come to fruition.  If the club doesn't succeed during their reign then it won't be the fault of good corporate governance on their behalf (unless circumstances change dramatically in the near future).

I'm not convinced the board of an AFL club only take responsibility for good corporate governance. In fact, I'd argue that have to bring more to the table these days to stay ahead of the game - especially in Melbourne.

2 other q's - I know we have a members voting system but do you think the board seems a bit of a clique? By this I mean the candidates always seem "board endorsed" and where is our board setting a standard with the way it runs the club?
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Online eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #108 on: July 07, 2011, 07:05:32 AM »
In response to

"Why do questions need to be asked of the board after one thrashing?  Where did I say any of the posters on this forum was not up to the task of being a Director?  Did this cultural issue exist 4 weeks ago after we beat Essendon and were rolling towards the finals?  I asked you some simple questions because I disagreed with your comments and in asking I gave you the opportunity to inform me and change my mind.  Instead, I didn't get one answer to any question but instead accused of a false assumption!  If it makes it easier I'll cut it down for you - please tell me how replacing a current Director with one of our own will change the on-field fortunes of the club and improve the performance of the current board?"

Firstly my initial comments were a suggestion given the comments I had previously read about supporters on this website being dissatisfied with the culture at the club.  I was not saying that it was my position that the board should change. What I took from the underlying tone of your initial post was that supporters in particular supporters on this forum would not be capable of fulfilling the task of being a director. Thanking you for clarfying that that was not your intention. Please clarify whether you are saying that this was just an off game and therefore there is no need for any change. If there is an issue with the culture at the club and I say if you have to look at all areas of the club including at the board level as at the board level some of the important decisions are made regarding the club. Look at the Western Bulldogs this year and the reports in the media about concerns about the culture at that club and need for change at the board level to address the concern. To put it simply to you if there is and again I say if there is a cultural issue at the club don't you think that all areas of the club should be examined?

Edited to create a quote
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 07:10:38 AM by WilliamPowell »

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #109 on: July 07, 2011, 02:26:20 PM »
No Mr. Magic, we were not "a bit off", we were completely non-existent from the first bounce to the final siren. Of course Carlton are a couple of years ahead of us in their development. Nobody is disputing that.But I don't care what you say, the difference between us is NOT 100+ points.

Well I really feared this game because the Blues got beaten the week before.
They are light years ahead of us in seasoned talent and I wasn't at all surprised that we were flogged if the Blues switched on.
60-80pts was my guess pre game. It was a little more than that obviously but a flogging is a flogging.
I thought we tried hard at first but fell away as the game went on. The 2nd half was no doubt disappointing.

Anyways, what's important is that we learn from it & put it behind us.
All will be forgiven pretty quicky if we beat the Bombers this week.

the claw

« Reply #110 on: July 07, 2011, 02:36:52 PM »
i think what happens at the end of this yr will determine for me where they are truly at. i can live with what hppens on field because i have little expectation and indeed still expect to cop hidings not just this yr but next and probably the one after that. you must first rebuild properly before you can soar like an eagle for now we are turkeys but continue to turn over lots of players and continue primarily with youth and we will be okay in the long term. people forget it is early days as far as rebuild goes.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #111 on: July 07, 2011, 02:50:38 PM »
people forget it is early days as far as rebuild goes.

Yep Cameron pretty well confirmed this today. We're still in development mode.
In saying that I have been surprised that Miller has received as many games as he has this year after wasting the spot on the rookie list.
That to me sent mixed messages. Fortunately they have now shelved that mistake.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #112 on: July 07, 2011, 03:32:21 PM »
In saying that I have been surprised that Miller has received as many games as he has this year after wasting the spot on the rookie list.
That to me sent mixed messages. Fortunately they have now shelved that mistake.
Well we hope so but it's not 5pm yet  :-\.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #113 on: July 07, 2011, 03:35:01 PM »
It's funny, the loss on the weekend feels like it was the last game of the season and was very deflating.

I'm finding it hard to get excited about this weeks game, even though I am expecting us to win.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #114 on: July 07, 2011, 03:40:21 PM »
It's funny, the loss on the weekend feels like it was the last game of the season and was very deflating.

I'm finding it hard to get excited about this weeks game, even though I am expecting us to win.
Reality hits hard doesn't it!  :P

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #115 on: July 07, 2011, 03:56:04 PM »

you expect us to win do you?

I dont, in fact i give us a very slim chance to get within 3 goals
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #116 on: July 07, 2011, 04:02:25 PM »

Bombers at the G, of course I do.

They are one team we actually have the wood over.  :gotigers

If we don't win though, I don't think we'll win again for the rest of the year.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #117 on: July 07, 2011, 04:16:08 PM »

Bombers at the G, of course I do.

They are one team we actually have the wood over.  :gotigers

If we don't win though, I don't think we'll win again for the rest of the year.
I agree with wayne. It won't be surprising if we finally get off to a good start, regain our confidence as a young side and win this week and send Windy Hill into meltdown again lol. However if we get off to another bad start and don't win as the psychy of the team hasn't recovered from the Carlton loss then it won't surprise me if we lose to the Gold Coast next week up there in Cairns. We are sadly very predictable with our mentality  :-\.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #118 on: July 07, 2011, 04:24:03 PM »
No expectations this week, what happens; happens

Just going to the footy with my mate that's all I'm doing

Totally immune to it all  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #119 on: July 07, 2011, 05:12:45 PM »

We will flog them....