Author Topic: Rookie draft thread  (Read 15981 times)

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Rookie draft thread
« Reply #120 on: December 10, 2012, 03:11:23 PM »
Has anyone seen Toy train?
got one for Christmas one year when i was a kid.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

dwaino

« Reply #121 on: December 10, 2012, 03:21:27 PM »

:lol :lol :rollin

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #122 on: December 10, 2012, 03:22:28 PM »
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #123 on: December 10, 2012, 03:42:26 PM »

Bait well taken :clapping
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

the claw

« Reply #124 on: December 10, 2012, 08:53:52 PM »
so how do we use a psd pick.  the only option i could see was the newman option if that is closed it would mean we have to cut another player that wont happen.
so any talk of a psd pick is well just silly then.

gotta say im pretty peeed with this situation and again it shows just how poorly we run our list and over rate players we have.

you should get with the program before slagging off claw. we can use a psd if we want, or we can use all remaining picks on rookies. its been posted numerous times on numerous forums.

surely the idea that taking a long shot as a rookie for one year is actually better list management than tying them up for 2 via the PSD
that still doesnt explain how we can use a psd pick.
we have 38 on the list proper  if we are not allowed to use the vets list how do we do it. the only way i can see is if we cut a contracted player. id like someone to explain how it now works i say that with a big please.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #125 on: December 10, 2012, 08:59:55 PM »

I think he s been wrapped in cotton wool to put off other suitors with a sheer brilliant smokescreen that he suffers from a congenital heart condition, masterstroke :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

the claw

« Reply #126 on: December 10, 2012, 09:02:58 PM »
just saw one eyeds post on previous page so effectively it is possible to have 42 players on your proper depending on tpp.
in that case i would definately have  been pushing for 40 on the list proper.

the claw

« Reply #127 on: December 10, 2012, 09:32:18 PM »
Ruck stocks:

1. I Maric  - the only established ruckman on the entire list and hes effectively had one good season. yes hes a first ruck.
2. Vickery - has done absolutely nothing to suggest hes a ruckman. the way the club plays him they dont think hes one either. unless he massively bulks up and toughens up he will be a kpp only
3. Derickx - bloody hell a 25 26 yyr old whos shown nothing we dont even play him in the ruck in the magoos. probably has the right size and physicality to become a 1st ruck
4. Elton - is first and formost a kpf the dearth of kpfs on the list says if hes a ruckman we are in the poo.
5. McBean - lol there is every possibility that this kid will never ever be a ruckman have you looked at him. many dont consider him a ruck but a very tall kpp.
6. Griffiths - oh deary me so most supporters want him to be either a chb or chf. me i think him a ff hes no ruckman thats for sure.
so theres one first ruck maybe 2 if derickx ever takes a step up  lol i can no longer see it. the rest look to be kpps.
nope i disagree the ruck stocks are shizen hence they are after 31 yr old hacks to help out.

so lets see short term ivan does a knee and the best fit is who to take over.
in the long term there is not one what i would call a genuine ruckman on the list. why do we insist on taking players who may be okay at all things but are not expert at any.
--
7. McGaune

The ruck position isn't as poor as you allude to. Another is required.

We currently have an A grade ruckman and many youth prospects in reserve. A stronger position than we have been in for some time.

geez we have been poor when it comes to ruckmen.

Maric is pretty handy.
and his recruitment was a forced issue as well. 
you think we have good ruck depth or we have a good development record and plan in place for ruckmen geez.

Not really.

We could have left Ivan in Adelaide and continue with Gus.
yes we could have left ivan and we would have nothing,  that would mean the ruck stocks are even worse than they are. sort of the point i was making. bloody hell angus graham showed more as a ruckman than the rest you have mentioned. yet we cut him.

why do we insist on calling kpps ruckmen. are they ever going to be able to do ivan marics role? simple answer to that is no.

lets see the way the club seems to be calling it.
 tall forwards
riewoldt, elton kpp first who could perhaps pinch hit and do a leigh brown,  mcguane lol have to put him here because he sure cant play back, and imo vickery who could possibly make a reasonable 2nd ruck but he looks very much a kpp atm.

tall defenders
griffiths ah the egg shell and you want him to play ruck, astbury, darrou, chaplin, grimes, rance,

ruckmen
maric thank god the only 1st ruck on the list, derickx well they dont play him as a ruckman but lets put him here anyway, mcbean who IMO  is a kpd. we sure dont need any more of them with astbury and griffiths playing back.
can anyone tell me which one is likely to take over and perform ivans role and why.

dwaino

« Reply #128 on: December 10, 2012, 09:44:58 PM »
so how do we use a psd pick.  the only option i could see was the newman option if that is closed it would mean we have to cut another player that wont happen.

gotta say im pretty peeed with this situation and again it shows just how poorly we run our list and over rate players we have.

you should get with the program before slagging off claw. we can use a psd if we want, or we can use all remaining picks on rookies. its been posted numerous times on numerous forums.

surely the idea that taking a long shot as a rookie for one year is actually better list management than tying them up for 2 via the PSD
we have 38 on the list proper  if we are not allowed to use the vets list how do we do it. the only way i can see is if we cut a contracted player. id like someone to explain how it now works i say that with a big please.

In the previous post you said you read OE's post, but just in case you didn't understand (42??), you can have the following combination of senior and category A rookies (as in non international and all that, just a regular rookie),

38 and 6
39 and 5
40 and 4

Veterans are now included in the senior list numbers and the benefits are more for salary cap purposes. The requirement for a vet now is only 10 years service at the club. Instead of being restricted to only two vets and half their salary being outside the cap, now you can have as many as your senior space list allows and the first $100k of their salary is not counted to TPP. It helps clubs like Geelong to manage their list.

I'm fine with us taking one of these potatoes (Wood or hOrrendous) as a rookie because they're only a last resort back up and no strings attached. They'll give the same output as a state league player anyway. I'm not completely sold on giving state level players a shot because they are doing well at that level either. There are many more factors to take in other than just how they go at the level. Different state leagues are different styles for starters, and only a handful of clubs have AFL environments. Take Adam Cockie for example. Was serviceable as a rookie at WCE and WAFL level, but excelled last season in the VFL for Sandringham because the more congested and inside style of the VFL, most similar to AFL, suited him (rather than the faster outside nature of the WAFL) and Sandringham is a Mecca for ex-AFL listed players. It's the same club that Magner came from, and for the reasons mentioned Sikora would be the only bloke I'd be looking at from any state league but currently he's being assessed by St Kilda.

We're not ready to push for a flag yet and blind freddy can see we have a short term ruck issue, but unless we can find someone to take the next 5-7 years after Maric then it's just an equal waste of a PSD or ND pick. Reckon the club has a plan to consolidate its losses this year in the ruck department but will shop the poo out of opposition lists over the next season or two to find someone. At least in the mean time we get an elite next generation midfield and the ruckman will be the final piece of the puzzle.

Just IMO.

the claw

« Reply #129 on: December 10, 2012, 10:48:09 PM »

In the previous post you said you read OE's post, but just in case you didn't understand (42??), you can have the following combination of senior and category A rookies (as in non international and all that, just a regular rookie),

38 and 6
39 and 5
40 and 4

Veterans are now included in the senior list numbers and the benefits are more for salary cap purposes. The requirement for a vet now is only 10 years service at the club. Instead of being restricted to only two vets and half their salary being outside the cap, now you can have as many as your senior space list allows and the first $100k of their salary is not counted to TPP. It helps clubs like Geelong to manage their list.

I'm fine with us taking one of these potatoes (Wood or hOrrendous) as a rookie because they're only a last resort back up and no strings attached. They'll give the same output as a state league player anyway. I'm not completely sold on giving state level players a shot because they are doing well at that level either. There are many more factors to take in other than just how they go at the level. Different state leagues are different styles for starters, and only a handful of clubs have AFL environments. Take Adam Cockie for example. Was serviceable as a rookie at WCE and WAFL level, but excelled last season in the VFL for Sandringham because the more congested and inside style of the VFL, most similar to AFL, suited him (rather than the faster outside nature of the WAFL) and Sandringham is a Mecca for ex-AFL listed players. It's the same club that Magner came from, and for the reasons mentioned Sikora would be the only bloke I'd be looking at from any state league but currently he's being assessed by St Kilda.

We're not ready to push for a flag yet and blind freddy can see we have a short term ruck issue, but unless we can find someone to take the next 5-7 years after Maric then it's just an equal waste of a PSD or ND pick. Reckon the club has a plan to consolidate its losses this year in the ruck department but will shop the poo out of opposition lists over the next season or two to find someone. At least in the mean time we get an elite next generation midfield and the ruckman will be the final piece of the puzzle.

Just IMO.
thanks for the heads up. just a typo with 42 had it stuck in my head for some reason.

okay.  adam cockie was an inside machine at subiaco  tough inside ball winner who could not kick to save himself. he was very good at wafl level hence he got on wce list. his ability to get the ball has never been in question.

i have real issues with taking proven duds. wood and stephenson are that.  as you say we have great need for a back up or last resort as you put it. they are last resort due to shoddy list management and poor player assesment. we have had this debate for god knows how many yrs and it continues.

im the opposite ive seen enough of wood and stephenson to know a kid like jack hannath will likely offer more  and at worst just as much and he has an upside.
your not taking him as a last resort you are taking him to fill in if need be, and that filthy word at richmond DEVELOP. WE SHOULD HAVE 4 OR 6 genuine types on our list.jack hannath and types like him may not make it but they give us an opportunity to find a decent long term ruckman you just cant say that about the other two.

i have to say im very sold on giving state league players a go for reasons ive spoken about all this yr and well before.

yes i agree doing well at the next level down is just a part of assesing these types. athletic ability to play at afl level, sound skill set etc etc comes into it also.
 eg: whats the point in in taking say a 185cm 90kg vfl player who thru his size and strength totally dominates. he  compensates for a chronic  lack of pace and smarts  with these attributes but when he gets to afl opponents are just as quick  just as strong.
as i said its not just about performance to me performing well at state league is a decent indicator that a player may be able to go to the next level.  they still have to show enough footballing ability and athleticism just like nd picks do. they have  to be a better chance than those who dont dominate.

finally i agree again a blind man can see we have a short term ruck problem. imo we also  have a long term ruck problem as well. im all for growing our own again for reasons ive spelt out on this site ad nauseumhow we go about getting long term ruckmen we aree at odds about id say.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #130 on: December 10, 2012, 11:03:55 PM »
dont ya just love seeing people sink the boots in and all along it was themselves who was the clueless one?

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #131 on: December 10, 2012, 11:15:32 PM »

the claw

« Reply #132 on: December 10, 2012, 11:21:03 PM »
dont ya just love seeing people sink the boots in and all along it was themselves who was the clueless one?
we still have only 38 on the list proper  as far as i can see  that isnt changing.  now that is clueless.
ya know whats clueless fools who just follow the club line and defend everything they say and do.
ya know whats clueless? a club coming out and saying they desperately need to build on the midfield and then doing nothing or little about it.
ya know whats clueless a club regularly ignoring serious list deficiencies and at the end of every trade and draft period papering over what they have done.
you know whats clueless taking hacks that are proven hacks that have no upside what soever becase they have failed for yrs on end to adequately address list needs.
you stick your head up your  and you think your smelling roses but hey who am i to tell you its poo your really smelling. after all im just clueless. but go ahead pretend it smells alright after al you clearly think rfc poo doesnt stink.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 01:57:09 AM by one-eyed »

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #133 on: December 10, 2012, 11:38:11 PM »
nah clueless is saying that you are peed off about something and thinking that the other must be in the wrong, when you yourself are actually ignorant to the facts as how things are working.

but its water off a ducks back for some. rather than admit their criticism was wrong, due to being based on ignorance, they just just go looking for the next thing to slag off about.

Its a funny little quirk in our makeup, always thinking the other must be stupid just because we don't understand something, but some people do it so much better than others. must be all the practice.

anyway, carry on.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #134 on: December 10, 2012, 11:41:03 PM »
ya know whats clueless fools who just follow the club line and defend everything they say and do.

Love you al but this describes you :lol You're not a fool but you love defending everything Richmond ;D