Author Topic: official polak is @ richmond  (Read 15860 times)

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
Re: official polak is @ richmond
« Reply #75 on: October 14, 2006, 04:34:05 PM »
We definitely need players in the 22-25 year range that will continue to be prime in 3 or 4 years time when we might realistically have a chance of doing something, so in that sense doing what we did wasn't that bad. Then again, I don't think much of Polhack, so I don't know. Probably would have liked to keep the picks we had but I'll sit this one out and see how it pans out.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #76 on: October 14, 2006, 11:03:33 PM »
The idea of having numerous top 50 picks is a good one, but due to years of us (frawley) mismanaging our list - it is unbalanced. We URGENTLY needed a tall down back who is an upgrade on Hall. I don't think there is much doubt Polak is that.

I think it was a fairly even trade for both parties. A bit like the P.Bowden trade from last year.  :thumbsup

Agree LC that all parties got what they were after so it was a fair trade in that sense and I'd be the first (in a queue lol) to agree with you about Frawley decimating our list  :yep. I just get wary though when we recruit someone due to a current urgent need and it comes at arguably some long-term cost. Simmo and Paddy we basically got as freebies (lost Fiora and a fourth round pick in a weak draft respectively) so I don't have any problems with those trades. However Polak came at the cost of basically a 3rd round pick. Now hopefully at just 22, Polly reaches his potential at Tigerland and plays quality footy with us for 10 years. It's just disappointing we weren't able to get Polak plus remain in the third round of the draft and add another decent youngster too to add depth. Pick 60 is a low percentage pick. Drafting a Rainesy late is more the exception rather than the rule.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #77 on: October 14, 2006, 11:20:04 PM »
I just popped over to dockerland and read a few threads on Polak. There appears to be a general concensus on the following....
Is yet to reach his potential
Has great hands and is good overhead
Courageously backs into packs to take defensive marks
Pretty good so far but then theres this....
Poor disposal by foot.  :banghead :banghead

Do we need another one??

Sounds like Chubba from a few years back.

Lets hope the skills coaches work hard on his kicking. If he improves in that area before kickoff 07, then I think we have just recruited a fairly decent player. 

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #78 on: October 14, 2006, 11:29:32 PM »

I think that was more in regards to his goalkicking in recent years (?). Hopefully Plough can help with his confidence and sort it out.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Captain__Blood

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #79 on: October 15, 2006, 02:21:17 AM »
I read this somewhere.

Pretty switched on feller!

Overview

Graham Polak: 22 years of age. 195/6cms. 94kg.

- #4 2001 draft (Judd/Hodge/Ball).
 - 2nd in the 2003 Rising Star, beating the like of Ball and Wells (who were playing a lot better than they are this season).

To me, it is clear he is a footballer with much potential. Drafted highly and thought upon very highly (many pre-draft had him rated as the outstanding player of the crop) as a very talented player.

Although you expect him to say it he seems to have a good attitude to coming to the club and wanting to do well. Has signed a long deal , seems to have a great attitude, wants to train hard and continue to hit the gym and becoming more imposing.

The Deal

A couple year back Polak would have commanded much more than Tarrent did today. To get him for and only (more or less) downgrading from #8 to #13, in a draft where outside the top 3/4 there is alot of good, even talent, is good buisness IMO.

From what I can work out, this is what went down. Swapping first rounders with Freo, and out 3rd for their 4th, whilst slightly upgrading our 4th via Collingwood.

In: Polak, #13, #60
Out: #8, #42

Wallace has stated: "I now regard us as having gained two first-round picks, as well as a second-rounder, in our recruiting endeavors." - more so who would have cost alot more a season or so ago. I am viewing the situation much the same.

Plough has had to choose his words very carfully after promising to never again give away a high draft pick.

Pick #13 in a strong draft, and we have managed to keep out 2nd rounder - which i think is very important and an underated top move by Miller his possie. A risk, no doubt but one well worth taking.

Miller has impressed yet again. Knew what he wanted and needed to do and did it well.

Future

All of the sudden our future spine (post Richo and co.), along with that dreaded black spot on our list – KPP, mid 20’s is looking a lot better.

In fact, a little something like:

Code: [Select]
FB: Thursfeild
HB: Polak
HF: Hughes
FF: Schultz

Ruck: Pattison

Bar Thusty the spine that looks like taking us into the next decade were all highly rated: Hughes (#24 - 2005), Pattison (#20 - 2004) Schultz (#12 - 2003) & Polak (#3 - 2002).

With Wallaces 'types'; Deledio, Meyer, JON, Raines, Polo, Tambling, etc. tall, skilled, running fleet (that he has invisioned and been modling since day dot) working the other positions – and life isn’t looking too bad.

The future, is all of a sudden alot more rosie, for some of the slightly more pessimistic amounst us, like my self.

Polak the footballer.

Does Polak have the potential to be our young, gun KPP? Our Rivers, Glass, Rutten type?

All Australia CHB material?

At 196ish he is a great hight. Polak has hit the gym hard in recent times knowing he needs to get strong and is now a good 94kg and looking to get bigger with a Paddy Bowden or Raines being able to do the job on the faster forwards. 

For a big feller he reads the game very well (abit like Whitnall), has a vice like grab, and about as brave as they come.

Of course, on the other hand he might just be an out and out dud, and if so we have not had to wage too much to get the lad at the club. However, I think all the facts point to he having potential. Getting to that potential is another kettle of fish - yet Wallace has shown he could draft in the like of Paddy Bowden, Simmonds and Raines, Tuck, Pettifer and co.

Even as a forward (pinch hitting or otherwise) there is worst options. Richo (CHF), Schultz (FF) with Polak as the 3rd man might stretch a defensive.

Post-Trade week, I feel the club is in a better postion both in the long and short term than we were 7 days ago.

Forza Graham Polak.

Welcome to Tigerland.

Offline Captain__Blood

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #80 on: October 15, 2006, 02:28:43 AM »

letsgetiton!

« Reply #81 on: October 16, 2006, 06:34:55 AM »

Do we need another one??

dont know where they got that from, his filed kicking is pretty good, his efficiency disposal rating is above 85% iirc, much better than most of our list.
he can take a pack mark, he is a big body with very good disposal and courage! im starting to salivate with excitement, as i said in another post, he is the first genuine chb we will have since the ghost gym jess.

we will never be a premiership team unless we have a dominant chb, and im positive polak is the man

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #82 on: October 16, 2006, 08:17:34 AM »

Do we need another one??

dont know where they got that from, his filed kicking is pretty good, his efficiency disposal rating is above 85% iirc, much better than most of our list.
he can take a pack mark, he is a big body with very good disposal and courage! im starting to salivate with excitement, as i said in another post, he is the first genuine chb we will have since the ghost gym jess.

we will never be a premiership team unless we have a dominant chb, and im positive polak is the man

x man,

dont know if i should be telling you this but

you talking like that has made me crack a fat!

letsgetiton!

« Reply #83 on: October 16, 2006, 11:57:40 AM »

Do we need another one??

x man,

dont know if i should be telling you this but

you talking like that has made me crack a fat!

thats ok, as long as its not over me lol!!!!

but i think a few of us next year will be on constant chubbys after watching the tigers come good!!

Ox

« Reply #84 on: October 16, 2006, 09:25:59 PM »
Talk all u want but the first test wil be his dedication over pre season.

Edited for legal reasons

LMAOOOOOOOOO
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 02:25:21 PM by fOx-)( »

letsgetiton!

« Reply #85 on: October 17, 2006, 08:04:15 AM »
Talk all u want but the first test wil be his dedication over pre season.

dont worry he wont stuff up again, he is over those other issues
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 09:53:27 AM by WilliamPowell »

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #86 on: October 17, 2006, 09:54:29 AM »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
« Reply #87 on: October 17, 2006, 11:49:57 AM »
Yes Blaisee. There will be no fat cracking over X's comments from now on....
Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #88 on: October 17, 2006, 06:55:02 PM »
Why is it ok for some people to talk about "cracking fat" and yet if one of us females makes a comment about the players we are accused of being sexually frustrated? :-\

Ramps

« Reply #89 on: October 17, 2006, 07:57:42 PM »
because we are boys and we're allowed to talk in any way we want ;D on the other hand you are girls and you have to show respect for the discussion :P