Author Topic: Ben Griffiths [merged]  (Read 457124 times)

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Ben Griffiths [merged]
« Reply #1905 on: July 25, 2014, 12:49:51 PM »
He sounds pretty lazy for a player who has achieved very little.
Typical Gen Y? Needs to grow the farq up.

Yep Gen Y are certainly not team players.

:lol

There is no difference between generations. There are bad/good, greedy/selfless people from each and every generation. All generations have suffered and prospered at different times, relative to the times. All speculation of the 'character' of different generations  is horse poo.

One thing is for certain - all generations have DH's and all have many in them who don't understand other generations....
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1906 on: July 25, 2014, 01:59:26 PM »
Yes Dimma get rid of Ben just like you got rid of Matty and only reluctantly gave Miles a game.
Your judgement of a good football player is impeccable. :huh :huh :huh

Matt White is crap, what's your point

Gigantor

« Reply #1907 on: July 25, 2014, 03:51:31 PM »
if we aren't getting the best from Griff or maybe this is as good as it gets with him.What do we do to see him blossom,undoubtedly he has all the skills and then some.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #1908 on: July 26, 2014, 01:33:28 PM »
Huge first q in the twos

tony_montana

« Reply #1909 on: July 26, 2014, 04:18:50 PM »
if we aren't getting the best from Griff or maybe this is as good as it gets with him.What do we do to see him blossom,undoubtedly he has all the skills and then some.

I reckon he has vast reserves to tap into to. I'd play him ruck full time and flog him on the training track, could be anything and tbh I don't think he's very far off a break out game

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #1910 on: July 26, 2014, 11:11:52 PM »
was good in the twos today. Should come in for Vix.
Please no Hampson.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #1911 on: July 27, 2014, 12:21:06 AM »
Yeah give him one last crack. Even if he is intent on leaving, a couple of good performances may at least bump up his trade value a smidgen.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1912 on: July 27, 2014, 08:07:30 AM »
Yeah give him one last crack. Even if he is intent on leaving, a couple of good performances may at least bump up his trade value a smidgen.

Problem is if he a few half decent games (or kicks a ball 60m) he will be proclaimed as the saviour for our CHF woes

the claw

« Reply #1913 on: July 27, 2014, 04:55:51 PM »
if as a club we continue to fail to make hard calls on terribly underperforming players we will continue to fail as a club.
it has nothing to do with weather griffiths goes to another club and becomes a good player. at richmond hes been terrible and we just cant afford to hang onto these types for 6 0r  7 yrs of practically  nothing.

if we insist on hanging onto him in hope then we had damn well better have plenty of younger options in our system for when the likely delisting does occur down the track.

im going to say it one more time, 200cm tall players dont make for great kpfs in most cases.

jack dyers ild saying of, he plays where the ball aint really does sum up both vickery and in particular griffiths.
surely supporters and the club have seen at least enough of both these players to know we need some sort of contingency plan in place for the very real possibility that both will fail.

what i want to know is even if all three of our so called 200cm kpfs mcbean,vickery,griffiths somehow show enough to be played how the hell do you play them with the not very quick 195cm riewoldt.
as a club we have too many of the wrong type good list structure and management imo says we have to cut at least one of em and replace em with a more conventional type of kpf.

tony_montana

« Reply #1914 on: August 02, 2014, 10:19:57 AM »
Don't let me down you big galah. Have publicly backed you in on oer

reckon this guy is not too far off a break out game. Has all the tools: moves really well, big leap, strong hands, kicks like a mule - and I reckon he wants it bad enough. Just needs to put it together in one game so that he can believe that he belongs.

Gigantor

« Reply #1915 on: August 02, 2014, 10:46:29 AM »
Waiting Ben

Gigantor

« Reply #1916 on: August 02, 2014, 10:47:38 AM »
Disagree Claw ..Vickerys body is where the ball is but alas not his brain

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1917 on: August 02, 2014, 10:59:35 AM »
if as a club we continue to fail to make hard calls on terribly underperforming players we will continue to fail as a club.
it has nothing to do with weather griffiths goes to another club and becomes a good player. at richmond hes been terrible and we just cant afford to hang onto these types for 6 0r  7 yrs of practically  nothing.

if we insist on hanging onto him in hope then we had damn well better have plenty of younger options in our system for when the likely delisting does occur down the track.

im going to say it one more time, 200cm tall players dont make for great kpfs in most cases.

jack dyers ild saying of, he plays where the ball aint really does sum up both vickery and in particular griffiths.
surely supporters and the club have seen at least enough of both these players to know we need some sort of contingency plan in place for the very real possibility that both will fail.

what i want to know is even if all three of our so called 200cm kpfs mcbean,vickery,griffiths somehow show enough to be played how the hell do you play them with the not very quick 195cm riewoldt.
as a club we have too many of the wrong type good list structure and management imo says we have to cut at least one of em and replace em with a more conventional type of kpf.
This is what I say to all my friends - has all the tools but always is where the ball aint!
Having said that, he has been asked to play as a decoy many times to bring kpd's out of our forward line for Jack and Tyrone, so the plan is not to kick it to him.
He needs to step up. Plays better on the ball/ruck.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #1918 on: August 02, 2014, 11:26:25 AM »
I'm glad we picked him ahead of Fyfe.  :clapping

:gotigers :rollin :thumbsup
The club that keeps giving.

the claw

« Reply #1919 on: August 02, 2014, 11:38:28 AM »
Disagree Claw ..Vickerys body is where the ball is but alas not his brain
vickery becomes extinct in just about every game he plays.so i suppose we  disagree.
have said this before if you could combine both vickery and griffiths you might get a good player. but even then that player would lack hunger and competetiveness  he would still only play the game on his terms.

look the point im making here is not so much aimed at griffiths or vickery.
it more about the shocking processes we go thru as a club. no one can argue we have regularly constantly and repetetively hung onto far too players for far too long who have been down right ordinary and shown little or no improvement in performances.

this kind of list management is killing us and has killed us for the last 30 yrs.
i understand that in trading out or cutting players with talent like vickery and griffiths you may give away  what becomes a decent player. but from list management point of view we must be prepared to take that risk.
 in turning over players it will happen not just to us but all clubs it comes with the territory.we will also trade out players that never do a thing.

for me we are at a stage where we cant afford to rely on these blokes becoming very good players we must at the least have a plan B in place.

all ive really said up to now is they dont look likely, lets load up on talls, so we are in a position to cut these underperformers if need be.
its only this yr that ive actually called for vickerys head. that is for us to trade or delist him. yes ive been highly critical and will remain so. ive always advocated we keep him but ffs in keeping him  get some GENUINE kpfs tall fwds  into our sytem thru the nd.

my view is we have mcbean, vickery, and griffiths, all 200cm players and fair dinkum no one can say if we have a genuine kpf among the 3 of em. imo  we have 3 fwd/rucks or ruck/fwds we dont need that number. we are in a position to trade one out and we should. lets go out and draft a cameron type or gunston or cloke type lets get one of these types big natural fwds and cut one of underperformers that atm is neither a good enough fwd or good enough ruckman. of the three ive mentioned griffiths is by far the worst performed trade him out and lets go search for that badly need second kpf.