Author Topic: Ben Griffiths [merged]  (Read 457716 times)

tony_montana

Re: Ben Griffiths [merged]
« Reply #1890 on: July 05, 2014, 05:37:23 AM »
for the griffiths lovers, are there any left i have a question.
if in charge of the list would you be planning the future around ben griffiths and i will throw vickery in as well, or would you be hedging your bets,
on exposed form and time in the system a person would be crazy to do so.

Would persevere with Griffiths over Vickery. At least Griffiths lays tackles, takes contested marks and has a crack and I believe he can still be educated to offer something up forward - Vickery looks disinterested half the time and for the amount of time, faith and perseverance put into him by the caching staff Im very concerned by what he's dished up  to date.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1891 on: July 05, 2014, 09:13:56 AM »

We have the players but they must work harder together.

The single biggest reason we have dropped off this year - the difference in work rate and effort between this year and last is huge to say the least.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1892 on: July 05, 2014, 09:39:12 AM »

We have the players but they must work harder together.

The single biggest reason we have dropped off this year - the difference in work rate and effort between this year and last is huge to say the least.

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1893 on: July 05, 2014, 10:01:40 AM »
Yep, it's simplistic to say we overachieved last year - can you really over achieve by that much? List has holes no doubt but we ain't the Saints.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Online Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes I was realy born in Richmond
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
« Reply #1894 on: July 05, 2014, 11:18:24 AM »
if in charge of the list would you be planning the future around ben griffiths and i will throw vickery in as well, or would you be hedging your bets,
I would always keep a 22 yo 200cm KPP that shows glimpses of talent rater than a 30+ year old has been. Many of these guys don't blossom till 24-25.

Ill put my name to this too, Its amazing how many people wrote Rance, Ashbury etc off. Im guilty of it too at times but these guys you need to give time. Compare the time and games Vickery has been given compared to Griffiths. Lets hope we are correct not you Claw with this one.
Here , kitty kitty. Here , kitty kitty.   AAAUGH!

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #1895 on: July 05, 2014, 11:29:27 AM »
So how's the forward line shaping up 2015

Newman a Edwards grigg
King reiwoldt thomas

the claw

« Reply #1896 on: July 05, 2014, 11:33:46 AM »

Would persevere with Griffiths over Vickery. At least Griffiths lays tackles, takes contested marks and has a crack and I believe he can still be educated to offer something up forward - Vickery looks disinterested half the time and for the amount of time, faith and perseverance put into him by the caching staff Im very concerned by what he's dished up  to date.
would agree with that. prefer to give griffiths another season than vickery. long term we must look to replace both of em though. the attitude based on what we have had for 6 and 4yrs respectively has to be they wont be good enough and we load up with tall fwds accordingly.so what im saying is yeah keep one or even both if need be would trade vickery,   but do something about the real possibility of neither of them making it.
where will we be at if in all likelyhood both fail in 2 or 3 yrs time. i keep saying load up with tall fwds until we are sure we have what we need.

unfortunately for us vickery has just had a contract extension and wont be going anywhere until the end of 2016. ah list management.we have 3 200cm ruck/fwds
me i cant see how we can hang on to all three mcbean, griffiths, and vickery, one of em has to go and griffiths is out of contract. see ya ben you make way for a pure kpf like mccartin..and yeah i know this contradicts in some ways  what i said above.i dont think you can hang onto 3 players of the same type based purely on hope and a prayer. you have to address the deficiencies.

Yep, it's simplistic to say we overachieved last year - can you really over achieve by that much? List has holes no doubt but we ain't the Saints.
you sure can.  you see it all the time. bloody hell our own past history says so.look at 2001/2002.  sometimes the simple things are the true and right reasons.

last yr we were a 5th thru 14th side.in this i mean there was little difference between those 10 sides fighting for the bottom 4 spots in the 8.  we had a lot of things go our way in fact we could not have asked for such a dream run. in this context i ask did we greatly over achieve to me the answer is no.it was never ever going to take much to derail our yr. or take much improvement from sides around us to go past us.

my gut feel last yr was melbourne before roos was even appointed could potentially finish above us this yr or be close., wb was another.the only two teams i felt who had no chance this yr was stkilda and brisbane.this was done based on some pretty simple criteria.thats how even i thought the competition.

i think people forget there are 17 other teams all striving for what we are. we arent stkilda atm but continue to fail in key areas and we soon will be.

tony_montana

« Reply #1897 on: July 05, 2014, 11:47:48 AM »
Fair call claw, when you look at contract scenarios and where they're at, Ben is looking the most likely to get the a.

and spot on about there being 8 or so sides who could finish anywhere between 5-14 depending on extenuating circumstances like draw, injuries and most importantly form/confidence. There isn't much between sides these days, doesn't take much to yoyo dramatically

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1898 on: July 24, 2014, 09:36:44 PM »
From BF:

"He [Griffiths] doesn't like the fact that he was made to run out a game (vs. Bulldogs) while injured and he doesn't like the way he is being made to push up the ground because the ball gets kicked over his head to constantly.

Hes had a few one on ones with the coaching staff and leadership group re: his sustained efforts during training. "

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/where-will-ben-griffiths-go.1062259/page-17#post-34173754

"The only interest in Griffiths last year was Pick #48 from St Kilda (which they eventually used to get Josh Bruce).

If he does leave, thanks to his early exposed form you may get a better return on that (albeit maybe not much) from any club that isn't St. Kilda or Brisbane. "

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/where-will-ben-griffiths-go.1062259/page-17#post-34174360

1. He doesn't like the role he is being made to play in the forward line (he is being made to push up the ground and drag his opponent out of the forward 50) because it means that more often than not, the play bypasses him and the ball is kicked over his head into the forward 50.

2. He has been pulled up at training on a number of occasions due to his lack of effort and intensity on the training track.

Has a contract (from May) sitting in front of him, the word from my source inside the club is that his management is stalling in signing it (similar to Betts last year) because he has a deal at another club already, or is sourcing a better deal elsewhere.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/where-will-ben-griffiths-go.1062259/page-18#post-34176692

Gigantor

« Reply #1899 on: July 24, 2014, 09:43:29 PM »
Again with Ben the elephant in the room...his efforts on the park rears its ugly head

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1900 on: July 24, 2014, 09:46:41 PM »
He sounds pretty lazy for a player who has achieved very little.
Typical Gen Y? Needs to grow the farq up.

Had every opportunity to grasp a forward spot this year but didn't.
Is so often miraculously where the ball isn't..

Ben simply isn't fit enough, not hard enough and doesn't want it enough.
Basically whilst he has some skills his workrate is nowhere near where it needs to be to be a success in the AFL as a key forward.
Until he gets that through his head he won't ever make it.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1901 on: July 25, 2014, 12:24:53 AM »

Had every opportunity to grasp a forward spot this year but didn't.
Is so often miraculously where the ball isn't..

Ben simply isn't fit enough, not hard enough and doesn't want it enough.
Basically whilst he has some skills his workrate is nowhere near where it needs to be to be a success in the AFL as a key forward.
Until he gets that through his head he won't ever make it.

Sounds like that's by the coaches instructions so can't blame him for being away from the ball (if you believe what those big footy posters say which obviously you do)

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #1902 on: July 25, 2014, 06:18:50 AM »

Yep Gen Y are certainly not team players.

:lol

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #1903 on: July 25, 2014, 11:56:22 AM »

Yep Gen Y are certainly not team players.

:lol

There is no difference between generations. There are bad/good, greedy/selfless people from each and every generation. All generations have suffered and prospered at different times, relative to the times. All speculation of the 'character' of different generations  is horse poo.

Offline yandb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1904 on: July 25, 2014, 12:37:57 PM »
Yes Dimma get rid of Ben just like you got rid of Matty and only reluctantly gave Miles a game.
Your judgement of a good football player is impeccable. :huh :huh :huh