Author Topic: Pick 12 - who should we draft?  (Read 87495 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Pick 12 - who should we draft?
« Reply #525 on: November 26, 2014, 03:03:34 PM »
From Callum Twomey's live chat this arvo ....

Michael G.

Cal, a few years ago the Tigers said they would have picked Vlastin even if they had a better pick. Do you get the sense that the Tigers see Ellis in the same light or would they likely choose Ahern or Laverdie if they slipped ahead of Ellis?

Cal T. moderator

Would the three Keilor boys be available for the Tigers? Maybe. Ellis has been linked to them for a while, but he's not going to get picked earlier than 12. He's a really good player, brave, damaging by foot, smart and skillful. 

Tiger F.

Hi Cal! A lot of people have linked Corey Ellis with Richmond, yet he's not really being associated with other clubs who have picks in the 8-15 range. Do you think Richmond rate him too high? Based on talent/attributes, where does he fit in the overall rankings?

Cal T. moderator

Probably just answered that question Tiger! I had him ranked at 14 I think, so around that mark. I rate him highly, and North would look strongly at 16 if he got there.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-26/chat-live-with-draft-guru-callum-twomey

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #526 on: November 26, 2014, 03:08:23 PM »
but he's not going to get picked earlier than 12.

What a surprise

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #527 on: November 26, 2014, 03:56:48 PM »

What a surprise

Everyone not picked before 12 won't be picked before 12. What's your point?

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #528 on: November 26, 2014, 03:57:02 PM »
SICK of FJ getting players that are tipped to go later. FFS FJ whatever happened to best available
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #529 on: November 26, 2014, 04:24:43 PM »

What a surprise

spot on, how would anyone know who was going to go earlier or later, its all a big guess

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #530 on: November 26, 2014, 05:40:03 PM »

What a surprise

From what I read it seems nobody else, only richmond, view him as the 12th best player ...

What a surprise

spot on, how would anyone know who was going to go earlier or later, its all a big guess

It seems we 'leak' who we will take at times

Or at least several phantom drafts correctly guess who we will take with the player in question usually a 'longship', to go that high ...  :whistle

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #531 on: November 26, 2014, 05:42:49 PM »
Brett Anderson's latest updated phantom draft.

He still has Ellis going to Richmond at pick 12 and us passing over Duggan, Ahern and Weller.

1. St Kilda - Patrick MCCARTIN
Geelong Falcons | 19/4/96 | H: 194cm | W: 96kg
He’ll go close to being first picked but won’t go any lower than five. Much will depend on what St Kilda wants to do as to whether they take a key forward or a ball winner. Just a natural key forward who is a similar player to Jarryd Roughead at the same age and clearly the best forward in the draft. A great size he positions himself well in the forward-line, has good speed, can step around blokes, is good on the lead and has great hands. If he gets the ball anywhere around 50 metres he’ll kick a goal. In three years time he’ll be a genuine power forward who has got a bit of poo in him as well. – Geelong Falcons region manager Michael Turner

2. Melbourne - Christian PETRACCA
Eastern Ranges | 4/1/96 | H: 186cm | W: 95kg
Christian is extremely competitive and a dynamic inside midfielder who is also a superbly capable mid-sized forward. At this level he’s proven to be one of, if not the best junior players in the country at winning his own ball on the ground and in the air. It’s hard to liken him to anyone currently in the AFL because he’s such a unique talent loaded with so many variables in his skill set. He was an Australian basketball junior representative so has all those inside decision making under pressure qualities that set him apart from most players. Just a dynamic talent who is ready to go Round 1 next year for the club that drafts him. – Eastern Ranges talent manager Mark Neeld
In the mix: Angus Brayshaw

3. Melbourne - Angus BRAYSHAW
Sandringham Dragons | 9/1/96 | H: 187cm | W: 91kg
Angus is a ready-made senior footballer and he’s just keen to get in there. He is a genuine inside midfielder who is very good at the stoppages and on both sides of his body. To be picky, we’d like him to add a bit more outside burst run to his game, but he is good above his head and has a really good character and work rate. It’s really about him just taking up the challenges and getting set as quickly as possible. – Sandringham Dragons talent manager Ryan O’Connor
In the mix: Christian Petracca

4. Greater Western Sydney - Jarrod PICKETT
South Fremantle | 3/5/96 | H: 177cm | W: 75kg
Jarrod’s a free flowing versatile type who has shown plenty as a dangerous small forward and through the midfield. He has electrifying pace and uses it to break play up and create havoc for the opposition – that uncanny ability to break a game open with his run. There wouldn’t be a game where he wouldn’t go on a five or six-bounce run and kick a goal, which was how he kicked his first goal in senior footy. Played the last five games of the year in the senior side after starting the year in the Colts. – South Fremantle talent development officer David Depane

5. Collingwood - Jordan DE GOEY
Oakleigh Chargers | 15/3/96 | H: 188cm | W: 85kg
Jordan’s a unique player who is able to play in all areas of the ground. He’s a super competitor, makes good decisions and kicks the ball really well so he ticks a lot of the boxes of what AFL clubs want, but his agility makes him a rare commodity in the draft. He wins his one-on-ones and tends to pop up when the game needs to be decided. I wouldn’t be surprised if he really crept up the draft and went in the top handful of picks. – Oakleigh Chargers talent manager Mark Smart

6. GWS Giants - Hugh GODDARD
Geelong Falcons | 24/8/96 | H: 196cm | W: 94kg
Hugh will go top 10 in my opinion. A Melbourne Grammar boy he went to the AFL Academy and played for Vic Country as well as the Falcons. Played as a forward when he was younger but has played in defence and done well on some of the better forwards. He’s Brendan’s first cousin, has as lot of development in him and he’s very focused on what he wants to achieve in football. I think he’ll have a very good AFL career. – Geelong Falcons region manager Michael Turner
In the mix: Caleb Marchbank

7. GWS Giants - Caleb MARCHBANK
Murray Bushrangers | 7/12/96 | H: 192cm | W: 89kg
Caleb is a superstar on and off the field. Great leadership qualities, is an elite kick off both sides, reads the play outstandingly well and is brilliant at intercept marking. Only played four games for us but played national carnival for Vic Country then hurt his knee towards the end and had a lay-off. After missing last year with injury he came back brilliantly well and he’s continued to grow over the past two years. Can play forward or back, is an outstanding mark and a really creative player. Had a great deal of interest in him. – Murray Bushrangers coach Darren Ogier
In the mix: Hugh Goddard, Paul Ahern

8. Gold Coast - Peter WRIGHT
Calder Cannons | 8/9/96 | H: 203cm | W: 100kg
Peter is a forward who can go into the ruck, not a ruck that can go forward. He had a breakout game against Northern at the end of the year with 29 touches, 14 marks and four goals and is extremely hard to match up on when he’s on form. He judges himself pretty hard and sets a very high standard for himself but he’s a great kid who is going to make a club very happy down the track. He will be in the mix in the first handful of selections. – Calder Cannons talent manager Ian Kyte
In the mix: Liam Duggan

9. Collingwood (Father-Son Selection) - Darcy MOORE
Oakleigh Chargers | 25/1/96 | H: 199cm | W: 91kg
We are really pleased that it all worked out for Darcy. Obviously ever since he was born there has been a spotlight on the father-son and who he is. He’s dealt with it extremely well and has the ability to play at both ends of the ground as a key position player. He is a very good contested mark and his leadership has been fantastic. Collingwood is getting not only a very good young prospect but a special kid. – Oakleigh Chargers talent manager Mark Smart

10. Geelong - Sam DURDIN
West Adelaide | 6/6/96 | H: 198cm | W: 88kg
Sam is from our Riverland country zone and comes from a small town before relocating in Adelaide three years ago. Has played senior footy for us and will probably end up being a key defender because he’s got great hands and is a very good defensive mark. Won the best player award in the Under 18 Grand Final this year and has great potential is a very exciting prospect. – West Adelaide football manager Andrew Marks
In the mix: Peter Wright, Caleb Marchbank

11. West Coast - Jayden LAVERDE
Western Jets | 12/4/96 | H: 189cm | W: 80kg
Jayden is likely to go top 10. A 190cm player who can play in all parts of the ground he had a very good national championships including a three-goal performance against South Australia that stood out. An Essendon Grammar boy he unfortunately was injured at the end of the year and didn’t play in our finals but he’s fantastic in the air, has a great vertical leap and a good speed for a player of that size. – Western Jets coach Torin Baker
In the mix: Liam Duggan, Nakia Cockatoo

12. Richmond - Corey ELLIS
Western Jets | 9/10/96 | H: 184cm | W: 74kg
Corey is one of the smarter and natural players that I’ve had the pleasure of coaching at the Jets. Really good inside midfielder, hard, tough and courageous with good endurance and I’d say he’s a top-end draft pick for sure. He’s just got great natural ball wining ability and uses it by hand or foot to find players in better positions. Averaged 25-plus possessions in the TAC Cup and is a good tackler. Just a good midfield package. – Western Jets coach Torin Baker

In the mix: Liam Duggan, Jake Lever

13. Fremantle - Jake LEVER
Calder Cannons | 5/3/96 | H: 193cm | W: 84kg
Jake missed the whole year after injuring his knee over summer. He could go to Melbourne at No.2 or 3 and they will have a future club captain. The query that some may have on his pace is made up for his ability to read the play and intercept as a defender. In time I think he could be a midfielder as he runs a low 10-minute 3km time trial. Before the injury he would have been in the mix for the No.1 pick, but he is a super kid whose professionalism is on another level.– Calder Cannons talent manager Ian Kyte
In the mix: Sam Durdin, Caleb Marchbank

14. Adelaide - Kyle LANGFORD
Northern Knights | 1/12/96 | H: 190cm | W: 76kg
Kyle could be the bolter of this draft. Athletically he stacks up really well and across the board was in the top five per cent at the combine in most tests. He is still a really young fella with a late birthdate and could be a Jack Gunston type. He reads the play quite well – he played down back at the nationals, but played in attack and on a wing with us and just did some amazing things in terms of his marking. He kicked two bags of five goals against Calder and Eastern playing deep forward early in the season. He is also a very good cricketer. Certainly one to keep a close eye on.– Northern Knights talent manager Peter Kennedy
In the mix: Jake Lever, Caleb Marchbank

15. Gold Coast - Liam DUGGAN
Western Jets | 11/12/96 | H: 184cm | W: 75kg
Liam is a really talented left-footer who can play a variety of roles and after playing more as a defender last year we played him a lot midfield and forward. Impressed at the national championships and is one of the better ball users in the TAC Cup. Likely to go pretty early, maybe top 15. – Western Jets coach Torin Baker
In the mix: Kyle Langford, Jarrod Garlett

16. North Melbourne - Nakia COCKATOO
NT Thunder | 23/10/96 | H: 186cm | W: 86kg
Nakia’s a medium forward and could play in the midfield, and was best afield in the Allies game. He proceeded to test really well at the draft combine where he won the repeat sprint and also the skill kicking. He’s had an indifferent year, not playing many games after he fractured his foot in November 2013 and they kept him in a moonboot for a while. He then he played a couple of practice matches with our senior Thunder side in March and in the second game pulled up sore. Another scan revealed another fracture so they decided to operate, fuse it and screw it, which happened in April. He was thinking about playing in the Darwin league before the draft but the academy and the medical staff said that he should continue to get his endurance up and rehab the foot. I reckon he’ll play that high half-forward role and push into the midfield. He’s a six foot one midfielder who kicks both feet and runs pretty hard. – Northern Territory talent manager Wally Gallio
In the mix: Jarrod Garlett, Lachie Weller, Daniel McKenzie

17. Essendon - Paul AHERN
Calder Cannons | 1/8/96 | H: 182cm | W: 82kg
Paul is an outside running midfielder who was Vic Metro and All Australian. He probably had one of his best games for the season in the Grand Final, especially in the second half. He has elite speed, agility and endurance but needs to work on his consistency in games. I’d say he will be a half forward who can push up into midfield and he can take a good mark overhead for his size. At his best he looks a million bucks but we have worked to get the gap between his best and worst football closer together. He is an indigenous boy with some real quality and class. – Calder Cannons talent manager Ian Kyte
In the mix: Nakia Cockatoo, Lachie Weller

18. Sydney (Academy Selection) - Isaac HEENEY
Cardiff | 5/5/96 | H: 186cm | W: 84kg
The fact that Melbourne bid its No.2 pick on him is a true indication of Isaac’s quality. He is a highly competitive young man and can really find the footy. He’s come through the talent programs and academies here in NSW and it’s great that he’s got some reward and gets to the Swans. I’m sure he’ll develop into a high-end AFL player for a long period of time and is a player who I would compare to Nat Fyfe – he’s as good overhead as Fyfe as well. At junior level you could isolate him as a forward and he could jump over blokes. He will be a super player for a long time for the Swans. – NSW/ACT talent manager Darren Denneman

19. Carlton - Lachie WELLER
Broadbeach | 23/2/96 | H: 182cm | W: 77kg
Lachie’s the younger brother of St Kilda’s Mav, and is a classy midfielder/half forward who is going to be an early pick. He is an elite kick, he’s got elite skills, he’s just a very good player. He finds space in traffic well and has great vision with the ball in hand. He played well in the Allies game and in the end his class really stood out. I reckon he’s around the top 10 mark and a club like West Coast or Richmond, who need the speed, would look very closely at him. – Queensland talent manager Mark Browning
In the mix: Jarrod Garlett, Caleb Marchbank, Daniel McKenzie

http://www.sen.com.au/news/2014-afl-mock-draft-40

Rampstar

« Reply #532 on: November 26, 2014, 07:18:38 PM »
Im well and truly ready to lose my hsite tomorrow. Don't let me down FJ and can please pick duds like you usually do. This draft event only comes up once a year so its important for us to continue with our policy in here of slaughtering our recruiting records. Please start with the kid that only kicks at 49% and has a rooted foot. Im so looking forward to tomorrow and please don't get any bright ideas and start recruiting good players. That's not how we roll at Tigerland. Its dud, moneyball cheapskates and then more duds. Please!

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #533 on: November 26, 2014, 07:29:34 PM »
Why did we take Conca over Heppell  :banghead
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline Stylo

• Future Richmond star
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #534 on: November 26, 2014, 07:33:40 PM »
Im well and truly ready to lose my hsite tomorrow. Don't let me down FJ and can please pick duds like you usually do. This draft event only comes up once a year so its important for us to continue with our policy in here of slaughtering our recruiting records. Please start with the kid that only kicks at 49% and has a rooted foot. Im so looking forward to tomorrow and please don't get any bright ideas and start recruiting good players. That's not how we roll at Tigerland. Its dud, moneyball cheapskates and then more duds. Please!

You're ready to lose your poo over Richmond drafting a kid who I presume you've never seen play live?

dwaino

« Reply #535 on: November 26, 2014, 07:35:51 PM »
http://m.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-phantom-draft-2014-jay-clark-and-sam-landsberger-predict-who-your-club-will-pick/story-fnp04d70-1227132256899

If Dees take Wright over Petracca and assuming GWS then grab him and the order shuffles down who is most likely to slide?

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #536 on: November 26, 2014, 07:51:17 PM »

You're ready to lose your poo over Richmond drafting a kid who I presume you've never seen play live?

Welcome to OER, son.
Meltdowns come cheap here.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #537 on: November 26, 2014, 07:59:50 PM »

I never watched

Burn
Jon
Heppell
Conca

Play live either

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #538 on: November 26, 2014, 08:00:32 PM »

Welcome to OER, son.
Meltdowns come cheap here.

As do deluded fanbois

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #539 on: November 26, 2014, 08:02:44 PM »
AFL draft 2014: Emma Quayle's first-round predictions
The Age
    November 26, 2014 - 5:30PM

1. McCartin
2. Brayshaw
3. Petracca
4. Pickett
5. De Goey
6. Ahern
7. Marchbank
8. Wright
9. Moore
10. Durdin
11. Duggan

12. RICHMOND: COREY ELLIS

(Western Jets, 9/10/96, 184cm, 74kg)

Reliable, disciplined midfielder with possibly the most accurate kick in the draft.

The rationale: The Tigers want to keep adding to their midfield, and Ellis is one of the most efficient onballers in the draft. Never loses his cool, goes quietly about his business  and gets the ball where it needs to go.

The complication: Liam Duggan and Lachie Weller have both been linked to the club. Jayden Laverde may be considered if available, and the same goes for Peter Wright.

13. Lever
14. Langford
15. Cockatoo
16. McKenzie
17. Laverde
18. Heeney
19. Weller
20. Garlett
21. Goddard

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-draft-2014-emma-quayles-firstround-predictions-20141126-11uey0.html