Author Topic: Pick 12 - who should we draft?  (Read 86980 times)

Offline Stylo

• Future Richmond star
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Pick 12 - who should we draft?
« Reply #555 on: November 27, 2014, 11:01:15 AM »
Im well and truly ready to lose my hsite tomorrow. Don't let me down FJ and can please pick duds like you usually do. This draft event only comes up once a year so its important for us to continue with our policy in here of slaughtering our recruiting records. Please start with the kid that only kicks at 49% and has a rooted foot. Im so looking forward to tomorrow and please don't get any bright ideas and start recruiting good players. That's not how we roll at Tigerland. Its dud, moneyball cheapskates and then more duds. Please!

You're ready to lose your poo over Richmond drafting a kid who I presume you've never seen play live?

I never watched

Burn
Jon
Heppell
Conca

Play live either

Just saying, you've formed a pretty conclusive assessment of this kid's ability based on a 3 minute highlight package filmed in a year he struggled with injury, and didn't show a lot of his pack work (clearances are boring highlight fodder).

FWIW I'd prefer others at pick 12 too but I don't believe the gap between Ellis and those I prefer is very large, if there at all. I'll trust the guys who've watched these kids play for thousands of hours over my own (and many others') judgement.

Would you agree that we need another classy inside mid?

I've not concluded anything

Nor have I watched the video

I would just rather a slider' than 'reaching'

We need an inside mid but we probably need an outside on that not a squib more. And a tall and ruck wouldn't hurt. Hence id like best available

Sorry, got you confused with Rampstar.

I agree we should be going best available, and IMO that'll be Weller. But for whatever reason, he's flying down the order. There must be something to the story that we're not seeing. I'll be sick if he ends up at Essendon though, ugh.

I'm defending Ellis because I feel most have an ill formed view of what kind of player he is. Don't take those highlight packages as a prime example of his ability - you can make anyone look like a star or a dud with those things. The best player comparison for him in my view is probably Simon Black. Not saying he is or will be at that level, but he's a similar style of player, composed and tough inside with deadly skills on the outside.

Also agree that we need a KPD and a ruck, but I'd be looking at the rookie draft for those, particularly state leaguers. Two I like are Michael Hartley, ex Collingwood now Coburg KPD, and Sam Baulderstone, Norwood Ruckman. Reckon both would be available in the RD.

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #556 on: November 27, 2014, 11:53:50 AM »
Quote from: Stylo link=topic=20851.msg472194#msg472194 date

I agree we should be going best available, and IMO that'll be Weller. But for whatever reason, he's flying down the order. There must be something to the story that we're not seeing. I'll be sick if he ends up at Essendon though, ugh.

I said this here a week ago and shot to pieces for it, Weller doesn't want to leave the GC and has been making the clear around the traps. He's hoping GC will pick him up with there second pick.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #557 on: November 27, 2014, 11:56:37 AM »
Im well and truly ready to lose my hsite tomorrow. Don't let me down FJ and can please pick duds like you usually do. This draft event only comes up once a year so its important for us to continue with our policy in here of slaughtering our recruiting records. Please start with the kid that only kicks at 49% and has a rooted foot. Im so looking forward to tomorrow and please don't get any bright ideas and start recruiting good players. That's not how we roll at Tigerland. Its dud, moneyball cheapskates and then more duds. Please!

You're ready to lose your poo over Richmond drafting a kid who I presume you've never seen play live?

I never watched

Burn
Jon
Heppell
Conca

Play live either

Just saying, you've formed a pretty conclusive assessment of this kid's ability based on a 3 minute highlight package filmed in a year he struggled with injury, and didn't show a lot of his pack work (clearances are boring highlight fodder).

FWIW I'd prefer others at pick 12 too but I don't believe the gap between Ellis and those I prefer is very large, if there at all. I'll trust the guys who've watched these kids play for thousands of hours over my own (and many others') judgement.

We need an inside mid but we probably need an outside on that not a squib more. And a tall and ruck wouldn't hurt. Hence id like best available

Ya I just kind of butted in there my bad

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #558 on: November 27, 2014, 12:00:06 PM »

I never watched

Burn
Jon
Heppell
Conca

Play live either

I'm defending Ellis because I feel most have an ill formed view of what kind of player he is. Don't take those highlight packages as a prime example of his ability - you can make anyone look like a star or a dud with those things. The best player comparison for him in my view is probably Simon Black. Not saying he is or will be at that level, but he's a similar style of player, composed and tough inside with deadly skills on the outside.

Also agree that we need a KPD and a ruck, but I'd be looking at the rookie draft for those, particularly state leaguers. Two I like are Michael Hartley, ex Collingwood now Coburg KPD, and Sam Baulderstone, Norwood Ruckman. Reckon both would be available in the RD.

What do you think of wright?

And the other kpp talked of as top 10ish?

Offline Stylo

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #559 on: November 27, 2014, 12:14:14 PM »

I never watched

Burn
Jon
Heppell
Conca

Play live either

What do you think of wright?

And the other kpp talked of as top 10ish?

I think if Wright is there we should and would jump on it, but I don't see him getting past the Cats. I rate him very highly and I'm pretty sure the only reason he's sliding a bit is due to the needs of sides above us (although GWS IMO are crazy to pass on him). I see him more as a forward than a ruck, Kurt Tippett is a pretty good comparison. We've got a number of similar guys but it'll put a lot of heat on them to perform next year, particularly Vickery. Guys like Wright don't come around too often and I don't expect we'll have access to his type for a while into the future if we expect to be pushing for top 4. Gives us a lot of flexibility at the trade table too.

Lever I'm a big fan of as well for his athleticism, leadership, speed, smarts and plenty of other things... But he's not played a game of footy since he was 16, big risk in my eyes for that reason. Durdin I'm neither here nor there about, and I don't rate Goddard all that highly - he's intense but messy, like a less athletic or imposing version of Rance.

I think we're fine to draft for needs a little early this year and take the best available mid rather than a KPP at 12, unless Wright is there, he's an exception.

Offline Stylo

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #560 on: November 27, 2014, 12:19:10 PM »
Quote from: Stylo link=topic=20851.msg472194#msg472194 date

I said this here a week ago and shot to pieces for it, Weller doesn't want to leave the GC and has been making the clear around the traps. He's hoping GC will pick him up with there second pick.

I've actually heard he's said he only wants to go to Vic clubs so he can be close to his brother. The family is apparently planning to relocate down there. They're a tight knit bunch and there's allegedly some bad blood between Weller Snr and the Suns for their treatment of Mav, so I don't think they'll be taking Lachie. Seems a bit the Kavanagh situation from a few years back.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #561 on: November 27, 2014, 12:25:54 PM »
Good posts Sylo.
Stick around brutha.

tony_montana

« Reply #562 on: November 27, 2014, 12:45:08 PM »
The more I've been thinking about it the more I am convinced that we need to take a KPP with our first pick. With Chaplin at 29 and Astbury's injury history we need to shore up our KPD stocks with bluechip talent. If Lever, Marchbank, Goddard or Durdin are available I'd pick one of them ahead of a midfielder. If Wright is available then that's a no brainer too.

Rampstar

« Reply #563 on: November 27, 2014, 12:50:07 PM »
The more I've been thinking about it the more I am convinced that we need to take a KPP with our first pick. With Chaplin at 29 and Astbury's injury history we need to shore up our KPD stocks with bluechip talent. If Lever, Marchbank, Goddard or Durdin are available I'd pick one of them ahead of a midfielder. If Wright is available then that's a no brainer too.

In the limited stuff I saw I thought Marchbank was very good and looked like a direct replacement for Chaplin

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #564 on: November 27, 2014, 01:00:25 PM »
but he's not going to get picked earlier than 12.

What a surprise

Everyone not picked before 12 won't be picked before 12. What's your point?

Did you consider parallel universe theorem?

What I was attempting to make my point, and clearly failed;  is there not a valid concern when picks 1-11 having seemingly little to no interest in Ellis. And picks 13/14/15 apparently in the same boat?

And yet every man and his dog reckon he's ours.

Does that comfort you at night? Or does the health of the list not a priority to you

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #565 on: November 27, 2014, 01:17:55 PM »
most of the so called experts doing mock drafts have him around the 10-18 mark dont they?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #566 on: November 27, 2014, 01:18:43 PM »
Dunno mate hope u right

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #567 on: November 27, 2014, 02:53:42 PM »
The fact that fans can be outraged in who we pick in the draft on the basis of a 2 minute youtube clip never ceases to amaze me.

Rampstar

« Reply #568 on: November 27, 2014, 03:15:26 PM »
The fact that fans can be outraged in who we pick in the draft on the basis of a 2 minute youtube clip never ceases to amaze me.

the tapes give an indication as to what a player can do, if a players highlight package has no highlights and shows him to be slow and needing lots of space to get kicks away I think its fair to question that players credentials.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #569 on: November 27, 2014, 03:30:17 PM »
When does the draft start