Author Topic: Jack Riewoldt - Triple Coleman medallist [merged]  (Read 466677 times)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Jack Riewoldt - Triple Coleman medallist [merged]
« Reply #4020 on: August 08, 2023, 09:48:18 PM »
Hope he plays on for 1 more year. He deserves to see out his career as the third man up not the first.

Lets hope the club make the right call as coach, who will never let this happen again to a champ.

An absolute legend of our club.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #4021 on: August 08, 2023, 10:21:12 PM »
Him and Cotchin have earn’t the right to wait until the last minute. Noone will influence premierships in my lifetime like they have.

Dusty says “hold my beer”

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4022 on: August 09, 2023, 12:42:16 AM »
Hope he plays on for 1 more year. He deserves to see out his career as the third man up not the first.

Lets hope the club make the right call as coach, who will never let this happen again to a champ.

I agree. Have come around to this position also.

Even if he retires by the MSD because he's way too stuffed.

But heck if he plays 10 games and kicks 15 goals I'm happy for him.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4023 on: August 09, 2023, 07:38:06 AM »
I am in the opposite camp on this

I hate seeing champions going that one season too long

So based on that I think he should retire, go out on his terms as the champion he is
« Last Edit: August 09, 2023, 11:48:41 AM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4024 on: August 09, 2023, 07:47:58 AM »
If he is going to retire would good if he announces it very soon as he deserves a farewell game in Melbourne. There are so many fans that would like to pay tribute to him for his incredible service to this club.

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4025 on: August 09, 2023, 08:51:28 AM »
Time to move on his a champion,  but the club has to carry on.

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4026 on: August 09, 2023, 11:40:18 AM »
The annoying thing is if lynch had played all season I think we would all think about Jack a bit differently. I'd be tempted to keep him on seeing as we have no KPF coming up and play him alongside Bauer and Lynch. He could also rest games too, I just think he's such a smart forward that whoever we would play alongside him and lynch would benefit greatly from him. Who knows though, maybe we will recruit a KPF in the off season and that would make keeping jack around not worth it probably.

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #4027 on: August 09, 2023, 01:08:14 PM »
This should be his last year IMO.
Time to find the next Jack.

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4028 on: August 09, 2023, 01:26:13 PM »
Reading between the lines he will want to play on. 

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4029 on: August 09, 2023, 03:39:43 PM »
Jack Riewoldt reveals ‘fluid’ talks with Tigers as host challenges Richmond great about AFL future

Ben Waterworth
Fox Sports

August 9th, 2023

Triple premiership Tiger Jack Riewoldt concedes his and Trent Cotchin’s footy futures are “probably the last priority” for Richmond’s list management team as the star forward remains uncertain if he wants to play on next season.

Riewoldt, 34, has played 19 of a possible 20 games so far this season and leads the Tigers’ goalkicking with 30.24.

The triple Coleman Medallist has remained Richmond’s focal point inside forward 50 due to the absence of Tom Lynch, who’ll finish the season with just nine goals and four games due to a foot injury that’s kept him sidelined for most of 2023.

Speaking on Fox Footy’s AFL 360, Riewoldt hinted that playing more games with Lynch this season might’ve made his decision to play on in 2024 easier.

Riewoldt said he was having “fluid discussions” with key Tigers personnel around his future as his motivation to sign another contract constantly fluctuates.

The Tigers champion’s comments came during an intriguing and, at times, cheeky back-and-forth with AFL 360 co-host Mark Robinson on Tuesday night.

Here’s the transcript of how the conversation played out:

Mark Robinson: Are you losing sleep about not having a decision made or you making a decision?

Jack Riewoldt: Nope. Not at all. There’s fluid …

MR: Have you made a decision?

JR: There’s fluid discussions constantly. It’s probably more so me – and Trent’s in the same boat as me – and Blair Hartley the list manager and one of our football managers as well – we just constantly chat and make sure we keep each other informed, because there’s days where you go: ‘Aw nah, Aw yeah. Aw nah. Aw yeah.’

MR: So where are we now?

JR: I don’t know …

MR: Nah or yeah?

JR: … I changed my mind three times on the way in in the car!

MR: So it’s more …

JR: You just have to be honest. But also the other thing is that like last year, we’re probably the last priority if we do want to play on, because it’s: ‘Here’s what’s left, that’s what we pay you.’ I’m 34 and Trent’s 33, but there’s other priorities in the football club – re-signing and making sure we can get the best out of the club in the next decade, rather than the next 10 minutes. We continue to have conversations.

MR: Do you believe …

JR: There’s obviously …

MR: … do you believe you’ve got another season in you?

JR: I don’t know.

MR: So you’ve got three games left to decide?

JR: That’s it. There’s a knocker on it, there’s three games to decide. Either way there’ll be something out soon.

MR: So how you perform in the next three games is going to decide whether you go on or not?

JR: I don’t think so, but it’s just how I feel.

MR: So how are you feeling? I’d like to see you with Tom Lynch …

JR: Yeah so would I …

MR: … and I think you would like to play with Tom Lynch beside you to see how you would go?

JR: You said I get sick of people asking me the questions. You’ve asked me the same question in a different way five times – and I’m sick of it!

MR: Well you’re getting paid, so you’ve got to say something!

JR: Are we getting paid?! You’re joking!

MR: I’ll say it again mate: You’re the champ and you’ve got a decision to make and people are interested. Now some people are saying you’re done, some people are saying they’d like to see you with Tom Lynch. But it’s up to you …

JR: Yep, that’s it …

MR: So you’re not going to tell us?

JR: … it is up to me and the club.

MR: What would your wife say if I asked her?

JR: You’ll have to ring her and ask her. You’ll have to get her number first – good luck!

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/richmond-tigers/afl-news-2023-jack-riewoldt-contract-richmond-legend-grilled-by-mark-robinson-on-afl-360/news-story/0d5eeda81479b71491d9b353ca3ca4d3

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4030 on: August 09, 2023, 03:56:26 PM »

If he was taking the spot off a kid id say retire.
If we had some depth in key fwds id say retire.

Sad truth is  thru mismanagement he continues to be a better option than any young KPF'S we have. not that there is any, only Bradtke and he was always going to take some time.
Even if Bradtke  does take a big step next year where is the depth.

Even if we draft a young kpf he too will take time so it seems he will be badly needed given we have no depth atm.

What is ironic is supporters calling for his head when there are no other options and any one we may get is unlikely to be better than JR.

Lynch aged what 31 there should have  been a young kpf in the system from the moment we traded for him. Jack aged 34 its the same thing. Even with Bradtke we still need a young genuine sized kpf and we so desperately need a proven mature kpf.
People think this problem will just magically fix itself with a bit of trading or some such crap. It could 5 years before we fix this if we cant get a good trade thru the door. Thing is we should not be forced to rely on trades to fix what should have been a simple list management thing thru the drafts.

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4031 on: August 09, 2023, 04:15:43 PM »
We have to get the pointy end of the draft at some point. Either it's by trading or by being poor. 

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4032 on: August 09, 2023, 07:38:46 PM »
Robbo: How does Jack Riewoldt want his story to end?

Mark Robinson
Heraldsun
August 9, 2023 - 5:04PM

In three games, Richmond will farewell one of its greatest captains in Trent Cotchin, but there isn’t the same sense of finality with Jack Riewoldt.

Cotchin, 33, appears to have strangled the towel dry in his endeavours to deliver for the Tigers and his imminent retirement announcement will be a celebration of tremendous achievement.

The three-time premiership skipper was at the forefront of change and introspection at the footy club, which underpinned the premiership dynasty, and he will be remembered with his name sitting a rung below Jack Dyer, Royce Hart, Kevin Bartlett and Dustin Martin as Richmond’s most iconic players.

A soldier’s mentality wearing the general’s hat, the history books will record well the deeds of T. Cotchin.

Riewoldt’s towel is still damp.

At 34 — he will be 35 in October — he will make the decision within the next 10 days or so about retiring or twisting the towel one more time.

It will be Riewoldt’s decision – to a point.

The club and their three-time premiership forward have been in constant discussion about how it ends, when it ends and why it should or shouldn’t end.

The question is: How does Riewoldt want it to end?

A little damp in the towel or bone dry?

It’s probably more unlikely than likely that he plays on, but what’s bugging Riewoldt is that sliver of possibility.

A selfless person, he will not play an 18th season if it does not serve a purpose for the footy club.

Make no mistake, he loves footy and he loves playing and deep down he knows he can still be a contributor, but does playing again help the footy club?

From afar, the easy and logical assessment to make is that he’s cooked, that he’s too old, too tired and he should retire.

Nevermind that he’s carried an injury for 12 weeks, has played as the key focal point with Tom Lynch’s foot injury sidelining him all season, and that for large periods of games Riewoldt has battled against two defenders in the air because every third ball going inside 50 is going to Riewoldt, which the opposition knows too well.

As much as the lack of meaningful defence has hampered this Tigers season, as detailed in Wednesday’s Herald Sun, and their lack of speed through the middle, so has Richmond’s predictability going forward.

Riewoldt would like a shot at it being injury-free (if that’s possible at 35), playing as the second or third tall beside youngster Samson Ryan, with Lynch the lynch-pin.

The other concern is Lynch’s foot. What happens if Riewoldt retires and Lynch’s foot busts apart? Ryan isn’t ready to be No. 1 and even though the Tigers are scouting for another tall forward, Riewoldt’s experience would be valuable.

Tigers great Mathew Richardson highlighted exactly that scenario on the Channel 7 telecast last Friday night.

Maybe the Tigers have earmarked Josh Gibcus — another who has missed all of the 2023 season — as a forward, but with Dylan Grimes nearing the end, Gibcus looms to be the defensive mainstay.

Riewoldt was noncommittal when badgered for an answer about his future on AFL360 this week.

Also, interim coach Andrew McQualter said this week that he, personally, is not in discussion with any player about 2024, so without an official senior coach in place, there’s uncertainty there.

If McQualter gets the job, it will mostly be Riewoldt’s decision. If someone else were to be appointed, the new coach could scupper any plans for another season.

The gut feel is he wants go on because he knows he can serve a purpose. Time will tell if the Tigers are in total agreement.

https://www.codesports.com.au/afl/robbo-how-does-jack-riewoldt-want-his-story-to-end/news-story/9c115b602c8510faa65f16e2a88e2b53

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4033 on: August 09, 2023, 07:40:09 PM »
DWAYNE RUSSELL THINKS RIEWOLDT SHOULD PLAY ON IN 2024 WITH VETERAN YET TO MAKE RETIREMENT CALL

Lachlan Geleit
SEN
9 August 2023

Richmond veteran Jack Riewoldt has left the door ajar to continue playing on in 2024.

The 34-year-old has played all but one game for the Tigers this year but is yet to decide whether or not he’ll hang the boots up at season’s end.

Riewoldt joined Fox Footy’s AFL 360 on Tuesday night where he admitted he was yet to make his mind up as he engages in ongoing conversations with Richmond list manager Blair Hartley.

“There are still discussions constantly between me – Trent (Cotchin) is in the same boat – and Blair Hartley the list manager and one of our football managers as well,” Riewoldt said.

“We just constantly chat and make sure we keep each other informed because there are days where you go, ‘Oh, nup (I’ll retire). Oh, yes (I’ll continue)’.

“But I don’t know, I changed my mind three times just on the way in the car.

“You just have to be honest. But also that's the other thing … like last year we were probably the last priority if we do want to play on because it's, ‘Here's what's left, that's what we pay you’.

“As I’m 34 and Trent's 33, there are other priorities at the football club with re-signings and making sure that we can get the best out of the club in the next decade rather than the next 10 minutes.”

After Riewoldt didn’t rule out playing on, SEN’s Dwayne Russell found his comments interesting given he will likely have a media career lined up whenever he does step away.

“Jack Riewoldt’s always interesting on AFL360,” Russell said on SEN Afternoons.

“He's got a ready-made role in the media when he retires, Jack. But when is he actually hanging up the boots?

“Last night on AFL360 he kind of hedged his bets. It's retirement season right now.

“We heard Andrew Phillips retire yesterday at the end of the season, we know that Luke Shuey is retiring at the end of the season, and we know that Ben Cunnington is having one more game this week.

“Jack Riewoldt seems to give us the indication that he might play again next year.”

Given that Riewoldt currently leads Richmond’s goalkicking with 30 majors in 2023, Russell believes the key forward still has gas in the tank and said he’d offer the veteran a new deal if he were a club.

Russell believes Riewoldt could enjoy one final season as Lance Franklin has with Sydney in 2023 where he had somewhat of a changeover with the club’s young key forwards.

“There are reports that Trent Cotchin is going to announce his retirement, I'm not sure how true they are,” Russell said.

“But Jack Riewoldt, I reckon they should offer him minimum chips and list him for next year.

“I think he could have a Lance Franklin kind of year next year.

“Samson Ryan's not quite ready. We don't know if Tom Lynch is going to be injured or whether he's available.

“(In Franklin’s case) I liked the fact that (Logan) McDonald and (Joel) Amartey have had to work their way into the Sydney team to the point that they're now playing some really good football for the Swans.

“I reckon it would be good for Jack Riewoldt to be listed for next year.

“Go around one more year and once two-thirds of the year are over, if he's injured or you find the Samson Ryan is dominant and Tom Lynch and Samson Ryan have got it covered then you don’t need to have Jack in the team.

“So, I don't mind the idea of contracting him on minimum chips.”

Riewoldt has played 345 games and has kicked 785 goals for the Tigers since making his debut in 2007.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/08/09/russell-thinks-riewoldt-should-play-on-in-2024-with-veteran-yet-to-make/

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4034 on: August 09, 2023, 08:28:51 PM »
Him and Cotchin have earn’t the right to wait until the last minute. Noone will influence premierships in my lifetime like they have.

Dusty says “hold my beer”

Of course.

There are 4 immortals in this group:-
Rance, Dusty, Jack and Cotch

Rance left early but these are the 3 who forever in my mind were the nucleus of the flags with Dimma and Benny.

“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.