Author Topic: Jack Riewoldt - Triple Coleman medallist [merged]  (Read 466741 times)

Ox

Re: Jack Riewoldt - Triple Coleman medallist [merged]
« Reply #150 on: May 06, 2008, 03:23:34 PM »
Uncle's anguish as Jack drops short
Gold Coast Bulletin
06May08

AUSSIE RULES by Roger Merrett, Terry Wilson and Nick Smart

IT WAS a tough night for Joe Riewoldt watching Saturday night's St Kilda-Richmond thriller unfold.

As St Kilda struggled to overcome the Tigers, Joe looked on in despair as son Nick went down with a bad knee injury in the third quarter after being slung in a tackle.

Then, in the gripping finale, nephew Jack Riewoldt had the chance to snatch victory for Richmond with a long-range attempt after the final siren (pictured). The kick fell short, but Joe was left wondering why Jack did not attempt a torpedo rather than a drop punt.

"He won a long-kicking competition back home in Tasmania a few years ago when he kicked one 68 metres with a torp," recalled Joe.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2008/05/06/10775_gold-coast-sport.html

should have MAlcom Blighted it in hindsight

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #151 on: May 06, 2008, 05:37:21 PM »
Yep Ox. Always go the torp outside 50 :thumbsup

Jack has been revelation this year

Is an example of a very intelligent footballer first and an athlete second.

Only 19 ( 20 in october) shows alot for someone of such a young age.

Has many strings to his bow, could end up being a 2nd or 3rd Key forward, or play the rebounding Chad Cornes role. Not dissimilar to CCornes not overly quick of foot, but very quick of mind, also has an outstanding vertical leap.

As he piles the kilos ( of muscle) on, will develop into a damn fine footballer for the tigers.
Agree blaisee. He's lost the puppy fat he was carrying when he was first drafted so he's now able to show his wares as well as get to contests and keep the ball inside our forward 50.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

« Reply #152 on: May 06, 2008, 07:00:47 PM »

Onlty 19?

I can only imagine/hope how good he may become.

:cheers

Needs to practice his torps though.  :lol

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #153 on: May 06, 2008, 08:56:28 PM »
Jack has been revelation this year

Is an example of a very intelligent footballer first and an athlete second.

Only 19 ( 20 in october) shows alot for someone of such a young age.

Has many strings to his bow, could end up being a 2nd or 3rd Key forward, or play the rebounding Chad Cornes role. Not dissimilar to CCornes not overly quick of foot, but very quick of mind, also has an outstanding vertical leap.

As he piles the kilos ( of muscle) on, will develop into a damn fine footballer for the tigers.

he is a SMART footballer, something this club hasnt had for many a year.

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #154 on: May 07, 2008, 07:10:07 AM »
yep lets hope he is a cross b/w whitnalls footy smarts and richos endurance /fitness

Tigermonk

« Reply #155 on: May 07, 2008, 07:51:01 AM »
dont rate him very much as our future
Cleve Hughes would have kicked that easy & won us the game
all forwards should be able to kick 60-65 metres drop punts at that age 19
If Newman can kicked to the centre of the ground from fullback why cant Rewoldt kick 55 metres
poo l'm a old man & can still kick accurate 55 metre goals & my son puts them through on the weekends from 50 & his playing U14's
so it wont be long before Hughes takes his forward position
Moore should have kicked his shot at goal as well there no excuses

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #156 on: May 07, 2008, 08:49:15 AM »
monk, i have seen jack kick over 55m, so next time it happens he will snag it. richo has missed easier shots than that but we all agree he has been a champ

he actually kicked a winning goaL FROM 50 FOR THE burgers after the siren iirc last yr

Offline jezza

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #157 on: May 07, 2008, 09:01:52 AM »
I disagree with everyone who is going on about him going the torp. Not many can kick a torp consistently well, and they often go very badly when attempted in games. Imagine the reaction if he'd gone the torp and it had gone of the side of the boot and only travelled 30m? He would have been the laughing stock. He did the right thing.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #158 on: May 07, 2008, 09:26:27 AM »
Geez Monk, you're so hard to please! I bet if you won the lottery, you'd complain about having to go to the bank!  ::) If you are basing Jacks game on one kick then that says it all!  :banghead I thought he had a great game and he will learn from that last shot on goal. Mark my words! Kicking a goal from outside 50 isn't everything. There are stacks of people playing park footy out there who can kick that long, doesn't mean they would make a good AFL player. I knew a guy once who could drive a golf ball consistently 240m plus. Problem was he putted the same way. You've got to have it all to make it and I believe Jack is showing far more promise than Cleve atm.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #159 on: May 07, 2008, 01:33:23 PM »
Cleve Hughes would have kicked that easy & won us the game

Not the way Cleve's been kicking this year. At times he's struggled to kick it 40m let alone 50.

His accuracy aint been too good either
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #160 on: May 07, 2008, 01:55:29 PM »
jack is having a real crack

thats all we want, he will be a gem, and come next yr, everyone will be saying he should have been no1 pick!

Offline 2JD

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #161 on: May 07, 2008, 02:24:34 PM »
I disagree with everyone who is going on about him going the torp. Not many can kick a torp consistently well, and they often go very badly when attempted in games. Imagine the reaction if he'd gone the torp and it had gone of the side of the boot and only travelled 30m? He would have been the laughing stock. He did the right thing.
[/quote
I agree Jezza, he did the right thing, many before have done the same thing and many more will continue to do so, and players that have a lot more experience than Jack, have done the same.....he's going to feel like crap for a little while but they seem to get over it quicker than us supporters :gotigers

Tigermonk

« Reply #162 on: May 07, 2008, 06:09:18 PM »
Geez Monk, you're so hard to please! I bet if you won the lottery, you'd complain about having to go to the bank!  ::) If you are basing Jacks game on one kick then that says it all!  :banghead I thought he had a great game and he will learn from that last shot on goal. Mark my words! Kicking a goal from outside 50 isn't everything. There are stacks of people playing park footy out there who can kick that long, doesn't mean they would make a good AFL player. I knew a guy once who could drive a golf ball consistently 240m plus. Problem was he putted the same way. You've got to have it all to make it and I believe Jack is showing far more promise than Cleve atm.

;D Dont need to win lotto Tiga  :thumbsup l'm well off as it is now  ;D but can never have enough  :thumbsup l love money but never venture to the bank thats the wifey job otherwise she be sacked  ;D
dont get me wrong young jack can play football & maybe l am a bit hard on the lad after it was the end of the game  ;D he be exshausted & fatigued so l will admit l'm a bit harsh, But if TW dont start playing Hughes he be damaged goods & will venture elsewhere  :thumbsup

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #163 on: July 14, 2008, 08:38:34 PM »
Healy tonight was comparing McKinley of the Eagles and Jack. He said both were at the same stage at the start of the year but Jack has lost the puppy fat and got himself fit. Healy also said the next thing Jack should do is train like a midfielder and then he'll really become a star.

Jack also got a big wrap in the Herald-Sun today.
Tiger Jack Riewoldt maturing as a top centre half-forward
Jay Clark | July 14, 2008

RICHMOND is licking its lips at the prospect of Jack Riewoldt maturing into one of the league's premier centre half-forwards.

After a slow start to his AFL career, the 19-year-old came of age yesterday, leading Richmond to a crushing 77-point win against West Coast at Subiaco Oval.

His five straight goals and impressive marking kept his team's finals hopes alive and showed the Tigers forward line may have a bright future without Matthew Richardson.

While Riewoldt, the younger cousin of St Kilda star Nick, was outstanding, gathering eight marks and 17 possessions in just his 19th game,

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24014612-19742,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #164 on: July 14, 2008, 09:42:19 PM »
Bomber supporter on BB and BF saying it's not official yet but Jack's got the rising star nomination for round 15 for his 5 goals in Richo's absence.

If that's true then a big congrats to Jack  :clapping. Our second nomination for the year.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd