Author Topic: Lets analyse the Coaching Staff / New assistant coaches  (Read 10475 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Lets analyse the Coaching Staff / New assistant coaches
« Reply #105 on: October 20, 2009, 07:18:16 PM »
Here's a pic of Daly from the AFL site

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #106 on: October 20, 2009, 10:18:12 PM »
Welcome to the club Daly.. :thumbsup
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #107 on: October 21, 2009, 03:34:34 PM »
An Age article from April on non-AFL footballers in AFL coaching ranks - Daly, Brendan McArtney (Geelong), Danny Ryan (St Kilda) and David Rath (Hawthorn)

DANNY DALY, NORTH MELBOURNE

TWO knee reconstructions slowed, then stopped Danny Daly's suburban football career with Balwyn. He was 29.

He had a degree in business management, and promotions were coming steadily at Westpac, but Daly, still needing his football fix, began to look for alternative roles in the game.

"I became a bit of an opposition coach for Balwyn at the time, I suppose," he said. He also began to study other codes.

Then, through football's network, he landed a part-time job at Collingwood. There, he met Dean Laidley; they immediately hit it off.

"We went to a few games together, found out we had the same beliefs about where footy was going, had the same passion for tactics and strategy," Daly said.

"We kept talking about it, and got to know each other pretty well."

When Laidley became coach of North Melbourne, he offered Daly a full-time job. "It was a fantastic opportunity," he said.

"I thought I'd give it a go — but probably end up back in the bank in 12 months."

The day he started, Geoff Walsh, then North's chief executive, underscored a home truth for him. "When you are employed by a footy club, you will get sacked at some stage," Walsh said. "I hope you realise that."

Seven years later, Walsh is gone, but Laidley is still there, and so is Daly. First he worked in player welfare, then at devising strategy for stoppages.

Now he is opposition coach. In 2007, when North made the preliminary final, he went to 104 games all over the country. Last Friday, he was in Cairns to watch Melbourne play, then on a 5am Saturday flight back to Melbourne for North's game.

If Daly is in town for training, he assists Anthony Rock with the midfield. Matchdays, he sits alongside Laidley, "feeding him information on what the opposition might be doing … and dodging the odd flying water bottle".

He still gets quizzical stares, even from North people, but says it does not faze him. "I'm not too concerned with being in the public eye," he said. "Whether people know me or not, I'll just do my job for the footy club."

At 42, football is his vocation. The Walsh dictum remains in the back of his mind. But if — when — Laidley moves on, Daly thinks he at least has a presentable CV. "I'd like to think I'd built a bit of a reputation out there a someone who might be worth looking at," he said. He was chuffed last year to be asked to assist Mark Williams coach the Dream Team.

North already has left Daly two enduring legacies: a fiancee — Shannon Grant's sister — and a third knee reconstruction. "Christmas with the Grants. We were playing beach rugby," he said. "I should have known better."

http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/from-roads-less-travelled/2009/04/03/1238261800168.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #108 on: October 21, 2009, 11:17:13 PM »
Look how long his neck is. It looks like a cherry picker or those hoax photos from the 30's depicting the Loch Ness Monster. :lol :rollin :lol

Interesting CV. Just a thought but I was of the inkling footy clubs did not want to go down the path of picking coaches who had not played footy at the highest level especially since Wayne Brittain although the article did state there a re a handful of these blokes going around the comp currently.

Was he an appointment at North as he was untried and came cheap and it suited their finances. Look he may be a gem and lets give the bloke a go and I hope he does well that is for sure however his credentialls are not your traditional cup of tea. If I needed a surgeon I would seek one not someone whose good with a knife or scalpel or forceps...... just an opinion.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #109 on: October 21, 2009, 11:25:36 PM »
Look how long his neck is. It looks like a cherry picker

lol... :clapping, but he is part of the club so we better back him in.... very funny though.. :thumbsup

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #110 on: October 21, 2009, 11:36:43 PM »

lol... :clapping, but he is part of the club so we better back him in.... very funny though.. :thumbsup

Pardon the pun but I hope he sticks his neck out for the club. :thumbsup

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #111 on: October 21, 2009, 11:39:32 PM »

Now your stretching it.... :whistle

"Rucks:

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #112 on: October 21, 2009, 11:47:18 PM »

You had me at hello WAT. You're breaking my heart. Oh well it was good while it lasted. :lol

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #113 on: October 21, 2009, 11:53:44 PM »

You had me at hello WAT. You're breaking my heart. Oh well it was good while it lasted. :lol

I think we have officially derailed this one, good idea better move on.. :thumbsup

"Rucks:

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #114 on: October 22, 2009, 07:05:16 AM »

Interesting CV. Just a thought but I was of the inkling footy clubs did not want to go down the path of picking coaches who had not played footy at the highest level especially since Wayne Brittain although the article did state there a re a handful of these blokes going around the comp currently.

Brittain was very very good as an assistant coach but not good enough to be the main man.  Prejudices such as not considering a person because he has not played at the highest level will only ever harm your chances of potentially getting the best available.  Need to keep an open mind if you want the best outcome.

Con65

« Reply #115 on: October 22, 2009, 03:55:38 PM »
I do not know enough about our coaches to make any comment.

However, the Power seem to be doing the smart thing, first Dean Laidley and now Garry Hocking see: http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/86280/default.aspx

Good development coach to work with their kids...

That is one area we have been severly lacking of late...hope it is now fixed. :)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #116 on: October 23, 2009, 10:36:29 PM »
You would think there'd be some crossover with the choice of coaches we've made. Leppitsch has control of the backline but Hardwick would obviously have a large say as well. Lade and Cambo will work with the mids but Lade playing as a 3rd forward as he did would be familar with forward set-ups to work alongside Daly with our forwards.

A fresh set of voices for our cubs after 5 years but of course the proof will be in the pudding if this new coaching panel can get the best out of them.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #117 on: October 26, 2009, 06:11:28 PM »
The whole footy dept. staff from the RFC site:

Football Department

General Manager of Football - Craig Cameron
Football Operations Manager - Ross Monaghan
Head of Development - Tim Livingstone
Player Development Manager - Lauren Cooper

Senior Coach - Damien Hardwick
Assistant Coach - Wayne Campbell
Assistant Coach - Brendon Lade
Assistant Coach - Justin Leppitsch
Assistant Coach - Daniel Daly
Development coach, Coburg Coach - David Newett
Development coach - Tim Clarke

Recruitment Manager - Francis Jackson
Recruiting Officer - Matthew Clarke
Recruiting Officer - Richard Taylor

Elite Performance Manager - Matthew Hornsby
Rehabilitation and Conditioning Coach - Terry Condon
Strength Coach - Adam Douglas
Sport Science Assistant - Brendan Fahrner
Boxing Coach - John Vickery
Head Property Steward - Bill Clarke
Chaplain - Paul Cameron

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/staff%20members/tabid/13343/default.aspx

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #118 on: October 26, 2009, 07:40:56 PM »
Surprised to see Hornsby still listed there

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #119 on: October 26, 2009, 08:48:17 PM »
Equally as surprised to see John Vickery still there. Only because I think with his son being on the senior list there is a clear conflict of interest IMHO

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)