Author Topic: Lets analyse the Coaching Staff / New assistant coaches  (Read 10241 times)

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
Lets analyse the Coaching Staff / New assistant coaches
« on: August 25, 2009, 08:26:32 PM »
Shall we start with the Ruck Division after-all that is where the game starts:

Coach; Damien Monkhurst.

What if any is the improvement in this area of the game this year.

Simonds: ?
Patterson: ?
Graham: ?
Brown: - Now there is something to get our teeth into! Started the season playing the first game against Carlton, then back to Coburg from there to Coburg Seconds and has languished bn the fringe for the rest of the year "why is it so"?
Putt: Origonally taken because of his height advantage- been in the system for 2 years now and still getting limited opportunity at Coburg " why is it so"?

While it is accepted that the buck stops with the Senior Coach, how well are the staff performing?

What are your thoughts?

« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 05:36:03 PM by one-eyed »

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Lets analyse the Coaching Staff
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 08:42:50 PM »
a complete clean is a complete clean. the lot of em.

goodbye Monkhurst.

How have our rucks gone lately??

we have gone backwards in his his time at the club and we cant be seen as a charirty case for his type looking to earn a few extra $$. he is terrible and a product of Wallace. goodbye!!

carey as our forward coach is a good start :thumbsup we should thrown everything to get him to the club.

when he speaks people will listen.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 08:54:01 PM »
One of the biggest stereotypical dinosaur ruckmen of all time coaching our kids when dinosaur ruckmen are extinct
Get rid of him

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 08:58:47 PM »
perhaps we can get Benny Gale out there during his lunch break  ;D

Seriously though, I'd have a look at the list of recently retired ruckman, in particluar those who rucked under the 2 centre circle rule and take someone with that sort of knowledge and experience

Gus Graham for me has been a major disappointment this season, especially the 2nd half of the year. He spends too much time running in looking at his opponent as opposed to actually watching the ball and BTW I reckon he never actually jumps at the centre ball ups  :banghead :banghead
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline crannyvegas

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 09:10:16 PM »
When a new coach is put in place do they bring a group of people with them?
i understand that is how voss was put in place with a select group all part of the deal. I cant imagine they would bring forwards, ruck coaches etc.. though.
The big monkey was good in the time off a "tap, then watch" ruckmen but they have to be much more versatile these days.
Cousins should be employed as midfield coach if he doesn’t get a gig next year(surely he will though), i reckon the club will benefit if we give him more responsibility and control.
Laidley would be good in a tactical/opposition analysis role
Detka! Detka! Detka!

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 09:29:10 PM »
perhaps we can get Benny Gale out there during his lunch break  ;D

Seriously though, I'd have a look at the list of recently retired ruckman, in particluar those who rucked under the 2 centre circle rule and take someone with that sort of knowledge and experience

Gus Graham for me has been a major disappointment this season, especially the 2nd half of the year. He spends too much time running in looking at his opponent as opposed to actually watching the ball and BTW I reckon he never actually jumps at the centre ball ups  :banghead :banghead

I think jackster stole willy p's pc!
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 09:44:16 PM »
Who Hardwick brings with him will be extremely interesting. I hope he doesn't keep the majority of our current coaches but Rawlings and McCrae could be retained unless their roles over the last few months make the their positions untenable.

Have to agree about our rucks. Very disappointing.

Regardless of who HArdwick chooses we need more money and personal invested into development.

Stripes

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 11:30:30 PM »
King (defence) - gone
Royal (forwards) - gone
Campbell (midfield) - staying
Rawlings (Coburg) - going?
McRae (development) - staying?
Johnson (development) - staying?
Monkhurst (rucking) - ?

Don't know who he'll have in mind as assistants but he'll probably want people whose footy philosophy is similar to his and what he has experienced in footy. Does he go with newbies just retired from footy who he played with (Lucas as a forward coach?) or do we poach an experienced Silvagni from St Kilda for the backline?

Hawks backline has been their weakness even with Croad, Gilham and co. playing hence the cluster gameplan. They needed Hodge to go back as their quarterback to sure the backline up last year. This year it's been exposed due to their injuries. At Port in 2004 they had a very good albeit aging defence - Keys Wakelin and the mobile Chad Cornes, Bishop as 3rd tall rebounder, Wilson, Kingsley plus Pickett running, rebounding and kicking long when not shirtfronting opponents. At Essendon they had Fletcher and Wellman with hardnuts Hardwick, Solomon and Mark Johnson.

As for the forwards all three clubs Hardwick was at relied to two big key forwards with quick nifty highly skilled smalls with excellent goal sense at their feet. Keys Lloyd and Lucas, Tredrea and Thurstans/(Lade resting), Franklin and Roughead.

Interesting to see if Hardwick seeks any help or coaching mentoring from Sheedy now they are both at Tigerland.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 11:31:45 PM »
Poaching Silvagni would be a sensational coup.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Ch 10: Brendon Lade a possible assistant coach?
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 06:00:51 PM »
Ch 10 news said King, Royal and Rawlings have said they are going.

Hardwick told SEN that he has spoken to Cambo today and thinks he is very good.

Ch 10 news also said that Brendon Lade, a former teammate of Hardwick's at Port, may be a possible assistant at Punt Rd.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Ch 10: Brendon Lade a possible assistant coach?
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 06:16:04 PM »
Ch 10 news also said that Brendon Lade, a former teammate of Hardwick's at Port, may be a possible assistant at Punt Rd.

Would be a quantum improvement on Monkhurst in teaching Vickery, Graham et al.

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
Re: Ch 10: Brendon Lade a possible assistant coach?
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2009, 07:23:58 PM »

Would be a quantum improvement on Monkhurst in teaching Vickery, Graham et al.
IMO that would be a good path to follow - he could teach the forwards to kick accuratly as well :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Lets analyse the Coaching Staff / Possible new assistant coaches?
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2009, 07:32:42 PM »
If Essendon forces Lloyd into retirement then there's someone who kicked accurately for goal. Mind you could we stand Jack and co. throwing grass up in the the air everytime they have a shot lol.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2009, 07:48:07 PM »
I'd never want Matty Lloyd at Punt Road
The guy has an IQ smaller than the length of his pinky toe
Not to mention his comments about Richmond in the media (ie the Zantuck recruitment comments)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2009, 07:49:54 PM »
If Essendon forces Lloyd into retirement then there's someone who kicked accurately for goal. Mind you could we stand Jack and co. throwing grass up in the the air everytime they have a shot lol.

If it meant Jack ended up as good as Lloyd then yes, all day and twice on Sundays!!   :)