Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 898892 times)

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #6570 on: April 02, 2024, 10:58:59 PM »
The irony of writing an article saying someone should retire to ensure they do it on their ‘own’ terms….

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6571 on: April 03, 2024, 10:56:05 PM »
Kane Cornes doubles down on bold Dustin Martin retirement claim

News.com.au
April 3, 2024

Kane Cornes isn’t backing down from his claims surrounding Richmond superstar Dustin Martin.

The former Port Adelaide player turned media personality ruffled feathers when he suggested the three-time premiership player should hang up the boots.

Cornes called for Martin to walk away from the game at the end of the 2024 season and go out on top without any questions over his place in the AFL.

“I just think it’s time in terms of there’s nothing left for him to achieve,” Cornes said on SEN Sportsday.

“Does Dustin Martin want to go through that and then have questions over his form like he will get like Buddy Franklin had when he played probably one more year (than he maybe should have)? Just like Scott Pendlebury is facing now to a lesser extent.”

Cornes was challenged on his stance on Footy Classified, but isn’t of softening his stance he doubled down.

“Is he prepared to dig in for another pre-season at the age of 33,” Cornes said.

“In a rebuilding group who is probably going to lose every third week, that’s the question you’ve got to ask.

“It’s poignant because it’s game 300, it would give him the greatest send off ever. He’s going to be a legend of the Australian Football Hall of Fame.

“He’s done everything what more is there for him to turn up on a Monday. Is he motivated to do that … I don’t know.”

Martin missed Richmond’s opening game of the year against the Gold Coast Suns along with the round three clash against Sydney.

The Tigers currently sit 13th on the ladder having won only one game through four rounds with Martin playing in two of the three losses.

The perennially dangerous Martin has failed to make an impact on the two games in which he has featured in.

His disposals are sitting at an average of 16 per game, the lowest output so far in his 15-year AFL career.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/kane-cornes-doubles-down-on-bold-dustin-martin-retirement-claim/news-story/ee2c99fd5a2af2e337a198feb5828adc

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6572 on: April 03, 2024, 11:20:33 PM »
Sam McClure tonight on Footy Classified still sulking about Dusty not leaving Richmond.

"Richmond missed the window with Dusty" 

::)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6573 on: April 04, 2024, 06:43:15 PM »
SUNS EXPECT MARTIN TO REMAIN A TIGER BUT WILL MONITOR SUPERSTAR’S FREE AGENCY FUTURE

By Lachlan Geleit
SEN
4 April 2024

Gold Coast footy boss Wayne Campbell admits that the Suns will keep an eye on Dustin Martin as the Richmond great enters unrestricted free agency at the end of the season.

Martin, 32, is set to play his 300th game for Richmond this season but has links to the Gold Coast after three-time Tigers premiership coach Damien Hardwick took the Suns job ahead of the 2024 campaign.

The coach and player were photographed last year meeting on the Gold Coast but Campbell says that was simply a catch-up between close friends.

While the Suns will monitor Martin’s future, Campbell did concede that the three-time Norm Smith Medallist will probably retire a Richmond player.

“I mean, we were photographed on the Gold Coast last year and it was a big deal (in the media),” Campbell told SEN Sportsday.

“But I almost thought at the time it'd be a bigger deal if Dustin came up and he didn't catch up with Damien, given the relationship they've got. That was just over a beer.

“I don't know (if we’ll target him), there's too much to play out, Dustin's an absolute Richmond legend and he's contracted to them.

“We'll keep an eye on it, but I would have thought he probably sees his days out at the Tigers.”

Martin will turn 33 midway through the 2023 season. The star Tiger has averaged 16 disposals and one goal per game from two appearances in 2024.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/04/03/suns-expect-martin-to-remain-a-tiger-but-will-monitor-superstars-free-agency/

Online Wazza

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #6574 on: April 08, 2024, 09:52:46 PM »
Hi all,

Found this article on the GOAT tonight... Can anyone shed any inside info on this situation? I know the source isn't overly reliable but rumours have to start somewhere I guess....!!

‘Threatening to walk away’: Ex-journo’s ‘shocking’ Dusty rumour

News.com.au from News.com.au
April 8th, 2024 8:50 pm
The Dustin Martin rumour mill has continued to spin into overdrive as speculation grows the AFL champion is potentially going to call it quits on his career.

Martin, 32, is one of the greats of the modern era, having claimed the Norm Smith Medal in each of the Tigers’ 2017, 2019 and 2020 premierships.

He’s also a four-time All-Australian and 2017 Brownlow Medallist with 292 games under his belt.

But in recent times, the speculation has been all about his future in the game.

Recently, former Port Adelaide player turned media personality Kane Cornes suggested the time was right for Martin to walk away from the game.

The call was laughed off but AFL reporter Tony Sheahan has revealed Martin is potentially eyeing an exit in the immediate future.

Speaking on The Truth Hurts Podcast with Wayne Carey, the podcast co-host said he had heard Martin was ready to hang up the boots.

“I’m hearing some shocking information out of Tigerland,” Sheahan began.

“My understanding is that Dustin Martin is threatening to walk away, wants to finish on a high.

“He’s played 292 games, he played a good game yesterday against St Kilda, he was the number one possession getter on the ground until halftime with 20 possessions. They weren’t great possessions. He’s not the Dusty we used to know, the best player in the competition, Brownlows, Norm Smiths, all that sort of stuff.

“But my understanding is that Richmond is in a tug of war about keeping Dusty in a Richmond jumper until he can make 300 games.

“As I’ve said, he’s played 292 as of yesterday. He’s told friends and family he can’t do it anymore. He wants to walk away.

“He’s fed up, can’t dealt with it, but Richmond, as I said, is grappling with the fact that he could walk away and they’re saying ‘you’ll regret this for the rest of your life if you don’t play 300 games. Just get to 300 and then we’ll work out what you want to do for the length of your contract and/or all the rest of this year’.”

Sheahan previously claimed in 2022 Martin was considering retirement or a move to the Sydney Swans.

In reacting to the suggestion, Carey said “this is news to me” but he didn’t think Martin would really care about the milestone.

“So he’s human,” Carey said. “He has been an unbelievably good player, but if he was to finish up at the end of the year or go away or find another club or whatever it may be, then he has the right to do that. I think he’s done enough in this game for us.

“The thing that people don’t understand about Dustin Martin and very few players are like him in the competition — probably Lance Franklin would be the only other one in modern times — can’t go anywhere in Australia without being recognised.

“This guy is a bit like Buddy, he’s quite shy — Buddy didn’t start out shy but in the end because of the star power that came along with being the best player in the comp for a long period of time — it’s very hard to understand what it is to live like that.”

Carey said that it would be hard to find people to trust and that he may be dealing with the loss of his father Shane in December 2021.

The footy great added he “wouldn’t be surprised if this was his last year”, although conceded his form showed he was still able to perform on the biggest stage.

“You’re not in the sort of condition that Dusty is in and still playing the type of footy that he’s playing — yes he’s not grabbing games by the scruff of the neck like he used to and winning games, but he’s still an unbelievably good player,” Carey added.

Sheahan argued that having 300 against his name “looks far better than 292” but Carey argued that Martin “doesn’t need 300 to hang his hat on”.

It leads on from Cornes’ call for Martin to make 2024 his final season, arguing “there’s nothing left for him to achieve”.

“Is he prepared to dig in for another pre-season at the age of 33,” Cornes said on Nine’s Footy Classified last week.

“In a rebuilding group who is probably going to lose every third week, that’s the question you’ve got to ask.

“It’s poignant because it’s game 300, it would give him the greatest send off ever. He’s going to be a legend of the Australian Football Hall of Fame.

“He’s done everything what more is there for him to turn up on a Monday. Is he motivated to do that … I don’t know.”

Martin had his best game of the season in the Tigers’ 9.13 (67) to 9.6 (60) loss to St Kilda, which left the club languishing in 14th on the AFL ladder with a 1-3 record in 2024.

Martin had 30 disposals, second only in the match to St Kilda’s Jack Steel, bouncing back from disappointing outings in his opening two matches.

But rookie coach Adem Yze said before the St Kilda match that Martin was important for the team.

“Having Dustin back in the side is a great thing for our team – he’ll still have a mixture of inside midfield time and forward, Shai (Bolton) is doing the same,” Yze said.

“We’ll look at the balance of our team … but to have him available is great for our group.”

https://www-foxsports-com-au.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/richmond-tigers/threatening-to-walk-away-exjournos-shocking-dusty-rumour/news-story/ba5276708d377326ef7451c4212dcbff?amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a9&usqp=mq331AQIUAKwASCAAgM%3D#amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&aoh=17125765011521&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.foxsports.com.au%2Fafl%2Fteams%2Frichmond-tigers%2Fthreatening-to-walk-away-exjournos-shocking-dusty-rumour%2Fnews-story%2Fba5276708d377326ef7451c4212dcbff

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6575 on: April 08, 2024, 09:58:09 PM »
Tony Sheehan FMD. That campaigner obviously still high from a weekend spent emptying bags. First class ahole that has as much intel in the industry as Ricky Nixon these days.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6576 on: April 08, 2024, 11:14:14 PM »
If there’s one player I’ll never believe media articles about it’s dusty. He doesn’t speak to any of them and I know it drives them all crazy. His inner circle is also mainly unknown other then ex team mates and a few ex players. Really the only person that I think the media would know of to get info about dusty is old mate ralph who o honestly haven’t heard a peep out of in what seems like 3+ years now.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6577 on: April 08, 2024, 11:51:58 PM »
If it's from Tony Sheahan then you know it's crap :yep.

Sydney’s covert op to land Dusty Martin

The Sydney Swans have begun background talks with Dustin Martin’s manager to lure the Tigers star interstate, but at what cost?

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/sheahan-ink-sydney-swans-start-quiet-talks-to-lure-dustin-martin/news-story/e7641b611fe6c56be5ae53e8e138a678

Tony Sheahan  ::).

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6578 on: April 09, 2024, 06:59:49 AM »
If it's from Tony Sheahan then you know it's crap :yep.

Sydney’s covert op to land Dusty Martin

The Sydney Swans have begun background talks with Dustin Martin’s manager to lure the Tigers star interstate, but at what cost?

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/sheahan-ink-sydney-swans-start-quiet-talks-to-lure-dustin-martin/news-story/e7641b611fe6c56be5ae53e8e138a678

Tony Sheahan  ::).

Spot on him and Ricky Nixon information worse then Chinese whispers.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6579 on: April 09, 2024, 08:44:46 PM »
On Ch7 news tonight Ralph released a statement to them saying the Mike's Son's story is not true

From 7News twitter

Dustin Martin is shutting down retirement speculation. 7NEWS.com.au @KateMassey_7 @7AFL #7NEWS
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6580 on: April 09, 2024, 09:08:50 PM »
Thanks Ralph.

That's case closed for me until Dusty or Ralph say otherwise

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6582 on: April 09, 2024, 09:14:49 PM »
300th against the crows. Unlikely IMO.

Hawks game more likely.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6583 on: April 11, 2024, 12:55:26 AM »
Dusty is struggling to have an impact in second halves so far in 2024, according to Champion Data.

FULL ON FOOTY WITH DANIEL HOYNE:

WATCH here: https://twitter.com/1116sen/status/1777988641425334556

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6584 on: April 11, 2024, 09:43:23 AM »
I agree, he seems to be fading.

Wonder if age is catching up to him, or does the oppo just have more success placating him when he's on fire?