Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 876512 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dust in time: Martin nears peak form as finals loom (Age)
« Reply #4575 on: August 25, 2018, 11:54:02 PM »
Dust in time: Martin nears peak form as finals loom

Jon Pierik
The Age
26 Aug 2018

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick has warned fellow finalists Dustin Martin has timed his run well after the Brownlow medallist was at his brilliant best in a three-point win over the Bulldogs on Saturday.

Martin had a team-high 33 disposals, including nine clearances, as the Tigers held on for their 18th win in what Hardwick said had been a ‘‘dead rubber’’ at the MCG.

Martin had a relatively quiet spell through the middle of the season but has returned to his dominant best in recent weeks, much to the delight of his coach. He had 26 touches and four goals against Essendon last week.

‘‘He has started to really, really play – that level of expectation he has put on himself – he has gradually been building. It’s good to see him reap some dividends of doing that,’’ Hardwick said.

‘‘He kicked one goal, had five score assists, which is a really big game for him. He is so important to the way we play.

‘‘We have used him a little bit sparingly through the middle at stages as well but we are looking forward to getting him back to where he plays his best footy.’’

Martin’s efforts against the Bulldogs should advance his hopes of claiming back-to-back Brownlow Medals. Ever the team man, he did his best to ensure Riewoldt also tastes another individual honour.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/dust-in-time-martin-nears-peak-form-as-finals-loom-20180825-p4zzpg.html

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #4576 on: August 26, 2018, 10:18:26 AM »
Thought he was average yesterday TBH

His disposal was average, decision making at times poor. And twice hehad BEllis-itis, refused to sttack the ball in marking contests  :o so unlike Dusty. He like most of them played bruise free footy
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #4577 on: August 26, 2018, 09:59:47 PM »

His disposal was average, decision making at times poor. And twice hehad BEllis-itis, refused to sttack the ball in marking contests  :o so unlike Dusty. He like most of them played bruise free footy
Agree WP. But to compare our champ with B Ellis is unkind to Dusty and his contribution to our football club. Probably the worst insult in football.

We won’t have to put up with BEllis much longer now that he’s moving to Brisbane.  :shh

The club that keeps giving.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4578 on: August 27, 2018, 01:13:28 AM »

Agree WP. But to compare our champ with B Ellis is unkind to Dusty and his contribution to our football club. Probably the worst insult in football.

We won’t have to put up with BEllis much longer now that he’s moving to Brisbane.  :shh
First step to that, dropping him for this final. (Bellis that is)

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4579 on: August 27, 2018, 07:00:25 AM »

Hmmm, wonder why?
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4580 on: August 27, 2018, 08:06:46 PM »
Dusty came 8th in the AFLCA Coaches Award.

Final leaderboard

97 Max Gawn (MELB)
91 Patrick Cripps (CARL)
88 Tom Mitchell (HAW)
82 Brodie Grundy (COLL)
72 Dayne Beams (BL)
72 Jack Macrae (WB)
72 Clayton Oliver (MELB)
70 Dustin Martin (RICH)

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-08-27/recordbreaking-ruckman-crowned-aflca-champion

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4581 on: August 28, 2018, 10:10:24 PM »
Needs to get on his bike next.
We have a Capt carrying a niggle or 2 so he needs to rise.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dustin Martin is absolutely driven to bring even more success to the Tigers (HS)
« Reply #4582 on: September 01, 2018, 12:37:18 PM »
Richmond star Dustin Martin is absolutely driven to bring even more success to the Tigers

Mark Robinson,
Herald Sun
September 1, 2018

DUSTIN Martin has not given up on Ben Cousins, but he has had to park him.

At least block Cousins’ number on his mobile phone.

In the weeks and months leading up to Cousins being arrested and jailed for drug possession Cousins was hitting up his AFL mates for money and signed jumpers so he could sell them, presumably to buy more drugs.

He called one player at 3am, a call that went unanswered.

He called Martin and his friends plenty of times, too, in search of the one possession he believed he could sell for quick bucks — the guernsey Cousins wore in his last game for Richmond and which he gave to Martin as a keepsake.

It’s not known where the guernsey is now, but Cousins wanted it back.

He also wanted other Martin signed guernseys.

The calls were incessant and eventually Martin blocked him.

That Cousins is back in jail is probably best for him and clearly, as September arrives, the best for Martin.

It is a small insight into the mindset of the Tigers champion — nothing will disturb his preparations for a back-to-back premiership tilt.

Dry July is understood to have progressed to dry August and probably dry September, further indicating his absolute focus.

Martin’s manager, Ralph Carr, and the Tigers knew Martin and Cousins were once close.

Cousins arrived at Richmond in 2009 a train wreck, got his life together, and departed in 2010 a cult hero.

Who could forget his last game against Port Adelaide?

He played with a hamstring injury in front of 38,000 in Round 22, completed a lap of honour and was chaired from the ground. He is now in jail.

Martin arrived at Richmond in 2010, worked through the responsibilities of being an AFL player, and on Thursday will play his 200th game in the qualifying final.

He is now, arguably, the best player in the AFL.

“Dustin is beautiful human being,” Carr said.

“He is so driven to have success for Richmond — I’d have coffee with him last year and I’d ask him about all the Brownlow Medal talk and he’d say, ‘Forget about that, Ralph, it’s more about us winning a flag’.

“He was never concerned about the personal accolades — I’ve never heard him talk about himself anyway.

“He’s humble … I saw him yesterday and he looks super fit. I asked him how he was feeling and he said, ‘Fantastic, I’m ready to go’.”

Ralph wasn’t aware of the Cousins situation or the request for signed guernseys.

“I didn’t know that, but knowing Dusty as well as I do, the moment someone would say that to him, he’d just walk away, he’s not interested in the slightest with that sort of rubbish,” Carr said.

“It’s a shame because like most kids at his age back then, he idolised Cousins.”

There’s team football at Richmond and then there’s team football at Richmond with a rampaging Martin.

The difference could be the premiership.

His colossal 2017 season was better than his 2018 season, but only just.

He’s marginally down in numbers in almost every key component for a midfield/forward, but that didn’t stop the All-Australian selectors naming him in the centre — and it hardly rated a mention.

Cast your mind back 12 months and Martin was more than a footballer, he was a media phenomenon.

He won every award imaginable and lived in everyone’s imagination.

His football, his contract talks and his dad’s deportation were front and square.

Media was unprecedented in footy-crazed Melbourne.

Then came September.

No other player entered last year’s finals series with the spotlight or expectation or a team’s hopes weighing on him as much as Martin — and what he delivered was imposing and exalted.

He was best afield in all of Richmond’s three finals.

Tiger folk still swoon over his game-changing production either side of three-quarter time in the Geelong final.

In the third quarter, he won a one-on-one against Tom Stewart which led to a Dion Prestia goal, and at the start of the last quarter was pivotal in goals to Shaun Grigg and Jacob Townsend.

In the preliminary final, he kicked three goals.

As Greater Western Sydney staggered in the third quarter, Martin moved to full-forward.

He took a mark against Heath Shaw and kicked the goal, Shaw held him at the next contest, Martin won the free and he kicked the goal, and at the start of the last quarter, Martin kicked the banana goal and it was good night Giants.

The next week he won the Norm Smith Medal.

None of that changed him.

He remains private and protective of his life, and largely avoids the media.

But one interview with website Complex AU last month, written by Brodie Lancaster, was clearly the most revealing of his career.

He said motivation for 2018 had to be found and harnessed.

“It was a really different feeling I had at the start of this year,” Martin said.

“You spend your whole life trying to achieve your dreams, and then when it all kind of happens … it’s a strange feeling. It’s like, ‘s--- — what’s next?’

“I probably put a bit of pressure on myself to live up to last year and in reality I didn’t need to; I just need to keep doing my bit for the side.

“Once I figured that out, my footy’s probably got a bit better in the last month.”

Teammate Jack Riewoldt described Martin’s season as “momentum building’’.

“He knows he’s a good player and he knows he needs to perform,” he said.

“It’s your job and you want to do your job to the best of your ability.

“He wants to perform, he is a big-stage player — he’s the best player in the competition isn’t he?”

While Riewoldt acknowledged Martin’s eminence as a player, he reiterated Carr’s offering that he was incredibly team focused.

“He is the ultimate team person, that’s the thing a lot of people don’t know about him, how much of a teammate he is,” Riewoldt said.

“He is as good a leader as we’ve got I reckon with team culture, as highly respected as anyone.

“When he talks everyone listens and he talks more often than he used to.”

Martin’s focus and/or priorities ahead of the qualifying final against the Hawks are not lost on Riewoldt.

He said Martin was not the only player at Richmond zeroing in on September, but acknowledged the public’s fascination with his teammate, combined with people such as Cousins always wanting to tug on his teammate’s coat tails, presents a whole set of different challenges.

“He is as professional as anyone off the field,” Riewoldt said.

“But he lives a complete different lifestyle and he can’t do a lot of stuff that I do, like go out and be normal.”

Conversely, all of Richmond wants Martin to be his normal inspiring self on the field.

Because while the Tigers’ success is team based and pressure laced, Martin is the one player who separates them from the rest.

“You ask me how he’s going, I’d say he’s primed,’’ Riewoldt said.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/richmond-star-dustin-martin-is-absolutely-driven-to-bring-even-more-success-to-the-tigers/news-story/28a63f84d0905da7ababa2f56bc8d3bc

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Dustin Martin - 200th game this week [merged]
« Reply #4583 on: September 02, 2018, 12:05:23 AM »
Dusty plays his 200th in the QF  :clapping :bow.

2010    21 games
2011    22
2012    20
2013    23
2014    22
2015    23
2016    22
2017    25
2018    22*
----------------
Total   200* games

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/D/Dustin_Martin.html

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4584 on: September 02, 2018, 05:33:23 PM »
Very durable bloke. Hopefully he's good for 300-350 :D

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4585 on: September 03, 2018, 10:41:33 PM »
Dusty is the fastest since debuting and second youngest Tiger to reach 200 games.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2018-09-03/martin-motors-to-200

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4586 on: September 04, 2018, 05:54:16 PM »
Trent Cotchin@tcotchin9 twitter 1h ago

Far out 200 games already.. I think your highlight tapes will do the talking for the admiration I have for you as a player but for me this is also a celebration of you Dusty the human being.. forever growing! Goodluck in game 200 can’t wait to get out there! ❤️

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4587 on: September 04, 2018, 05:56:05 PM »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4588 on: September 06, 2018, 03:47:47 AM »
“A lot of people don’t see it, but the amount of work he puts in is incredible,” Grigg said on this week’s edition of the Club’s official podcast ‘Talking Tigers’.

“Probably another thing people don’t see, is how good of a teammate he is behind closed doors and at training, how much he helps the younger guys, and how much he wants to get better. And he just loves winning.

“People, from the outside, would think he rocks up, he’s a rock star, dominates, and goes home. But there’s so much more to him that we love.”

Grigg also highlighted the unselfish nature of Martin’s play.

“He passes off a lot of goals. He could easily kick them himself, but handballs them off, brings guys in,” Grigg said.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2018-09-05/grigg-reveals-the-real-dusty

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4589 on: September 06, 2018, 07:45:35 AM »
Official AFL instagram put up this absolute gem

https://www.instagram.com/p/BnS5AnZB92R/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Far out. The raw power on display in that photo from a second-gamer!